Gray's Point to the Gong
- This run was held for the first time in January 2006, and borrows heavily from Lawrence Mead's Gone to the Gong 100km held in April 2003. The main difference between the two runs is the starting point at Grays Point, rather than the Opera House. The reduced distance is approx 60km.
- The run provides an opportunity to run across the Sea Cliff Bridge just south of Coal Cliff which opened in December 2005.
Date/Time of next run
6am on Sunday 8th February 2009
NB: Start time now changed to 6am.
Please check the Coolrunning thread for up to date information.
At the start of the fire trail 50m south of Grays Point Public School, Angle Road, Grays Point. It was the start of the RNP50. See map here.
Full Monty: Wollongong Lighthouse, Endeavour Drive Wollongong. See also Course Description for shorter alternatives
None. First water tap is approx 1.3kms from the start. The nearest train station is Gymea Station (3.9km from Grays Point Public School)
- See the On the Day Details page.
- GP2G waiver - Please read!
- Please note that to ensure you don't miss any late breaking info read this website or the Fat Ass section of the CoolRunning Messageboards.
None - take as long as you like
A meandering route from the outer suburbs of Sydney to Wollongong - the first half on trails, and the second half on footpaths and bikepaths. Scenic. Starts at Grays Point Public School, along trails to Audley and then along Lady Carrington Drive in the Rotal National Park. Turns off to Walumarra Track and through National Park to Otford. Follows Lawrence Hargreave Drive over Sea Cliff Bridge, and then onto Wollongong.
- If you are interested in experiencing a southern sydney Fatass run, but do not want to complete the Full Monty 60km, there are two shorter options:
- 45km: "Austinmerathon": Finish location is Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Austinmer - great cafes and beautiful beach await
- 30km: Half Gong Option: Finish location is Bald Hill Carpark, Stanwell Tops - one the best views of the Illawarra
Runners will need to take care between Bald Hill and Coalcliff - this section is narrow and winding with no bike paths ( suggest running against the traffic and with bright clothing).
Click here to see commentary on the 2008 run.
Maps & Instructions
Course instructions can be downloaded here:
Maps can be downloaded here:
As there will no aid supplied, you should carry your own supplies of water and other food. There will be a number of places where food can be bought and drinks obtained, however the first place to purchase food and drink is Otford Apple Pie Shop (~28km). You should also bring along a plastic envelope or something to keep the map dry if it rains or if you sweat heavily.
Route Marking Summary
The route will not be marked.
8 February 2009
19 January 2008
20 January 2007
28 January 2006