Brindabella Classic 21-oct-2007is anyone running this year?

• You cannot reply to this topic
75 replies to this topic

#1 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

I've just entered the Brindabella Classic in the ACT. It will be my first time, and I'm really looking forward to the day. The plan will be to use it as a long training run for the Kepler Challenge in New Zealand in early December, trying out some new gear, etc.
I'm just wondering whether anyone can give me some advice as to what to expect from the course? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Also looking forward to catching up with some CoolRunners on the day.
Cheers,
ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

Edited by ChookLegsMonkeyBoy, 26 September 2007 - 03:46 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

View PostChookLegsMonkeyBoy, on Sep 26 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

I'm just wondering whether anyone can give me some advice as to what to expect from the course? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

My advice, run lots of downhill in training. No other run has smashed my quads up like this one.
Great run, you'll love it. Best of luck.

#3 osmo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

hey chooklegs

I have entered this event as well (first ultra) I will be doing a few long runs over the next few sundays, on parts of the six foot track and in other sections of the blue mountains if your keen pm me and I'll give you some details... I have spoken to a few marathon veterans about preparing for this run and they pretty much say get used to running off road and to take it easy over the next few weeks

osmo

#4 Thomas

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

View PostSpud, on Sep 26 2007, 03:13 AM, said:

My advice, run lots of downhill in training. No other run has smashed my quads up like this one.
Great run, you'll love it. Best of luck.

I agree, lots of down hill running, but don't underestimate the up hills.

#5 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:35 AM

A great run and some great scenery particulalry higher up. Lower down lots of evidence of the bush fires some years ago. I have run it the last 2 years but unfortunately I will not be doing so this year. :)

#6 J

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

I've done the 27km Bulls Head Challenge in 2005 and 2006. I have enjoyed the course and the post race atmosphere of Beer n' BBQ. Always good drinks and lolly support on track.

I aiming for a sub 3 hr Melbourne Marathon on 7 October and considering entering the Brindabella Classic this year.

I generally recover within 5 days of a marathon. Just wondering what training I should do during the two weeks of the Marathonand the Brindy Classic?

I guess it's matter of seeing how I feel post-marathon and assessing.

I could always do the Bulls Head.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Edited by J, 27 September 2007 - 09:58 AM.

#7 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

View PostJ, on Sep 26 2007, 08:00 AM, said:

I've done the 27km Bulls Head Challenge in 2005 and 2006. I have enjoyed the course and the post race atmosphere of Beer n' BBQ. Always good drinks and lolly support on track.

I aiming for a sub 3 hr Melbourne Marathon on 7 October and considering entering the Brindabella Classic this year.

I generally recover within 5 days of a marathon. Just wondering what training I should do during the two weeks of the Marathonand the Brindy Classic?

J, if you've satisfactorally laid the base for a sub 3 hour in Melbourne you should be right to do Brindabella with just a few light trail runs in between. I would be having a few days off after the marathon then slowly getting the legs back into running mode. I'd do some downhill work, not too much this close though and nothing too long.

We're all different and our bodies respond in surprising ways some times. Listen to your body after Melbourne and take it from there. Best of luck with the sub 3 hour.

#8 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

View Postosmo, on Sep 26 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

I have entered this event as well (first ultra) I will be doing a few long runs over the next few sundays, on parts of the six foot track and in other sections of the blue mountains if your keen pm me and I'll give you some details.
osmo
Dear Osmo,
Thanks for the offer, but not sure I'll get time to join you. I'm going down to the Southern Highlands for the long weekend, and might try to run part of Six Foot Track myself sometime, but not sure when.

Thanks to everyone who have provided some feedback. This basically confirms what I thought, and it looks like Brindabella will be a great training run for me.
I'm looking forward to catching up with some other CoolRunners on the day.
Regards,
ChookLegs...

#9 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:25 PM

Chooklegmonkeyboy I ran Brindy last year for the first and last time. I was disappointed there was no real trail running, just gravel roads. There are some good views but not enough to compensate for the punishment to your legs which is severe. I came away injured, as did a couple of other seasoned ultra runners. Be very cautious about how hard you go out as this course is unforgiving. Very well organised and great finish set up.

#10 Lynda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

Hi,

I'm keen to give the Bulls Head Challenge a go this year. Has anyone camped at the Cotter Reserve? Do you need to book a camp site, or can you just turn up?

#11 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

View PostWhippet Man, on Sep 27 2007, 10:25 PM, said:

Chooklegmonkeyboy I ran Brindy last year for the first and last time. I was disappointed there was no real trail running, just gravel roads. There are some good views but not enough to compensate for the punishment to your legs which is severe. I came away injured, as did a couple of other seasoned ultra runners. Be very cautious about how hard you go out as this course is unforgiving. Very well organised and great finish set up.
Thanks Whippet Man,
Fire trails/gravel roads suit me, since I'm so slow, and don't want to get in anyones' way (started pretty much last in this year's Six Foot Track Marathon). Being a bit of a masochist, I'm kinda looking forward to the punishment, since in the long run I know it will do me good. The aim will be to run stongly and look forward to that "great finish set up".
Cheers,
ChookLegs....

#12 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Why isn't Brindy on the AURA Calender?

#13 J

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

View PostLynda, on Sep 27 2007, 09:14 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm keen to give the Bulls Head Challenge a go this year. Has anyone camped at the Cotter Reserve? Do you need to book a camp site, or can you just turn up?

Hi Lynda

The following information may help you with your plans to camp at the Cotter:

Camping at the Cotter
The Cotter Campground is the most highly serviced bushland  camping area in the ACT. It is located on Cotter Road around 15 km from the western edge of Canberra. Access from Canberra City is via Adelaide Avenue or Tuggeranong Parkway, take the Cotter Road exit (Tourist Route 5) and travel along Cotter Road until you reach the bridge that crosses the Murrumbidgee River. The Cotter Campground is first left at the the bridge.

Sealed road access 15 km west of Canberra
Situated on the banks of Cotter River among shady native and exotic trees
Separate areas for campervan and caravans (Note: No onsite power or sullage is currently available)
Free Electric BBQ's
Toilet, shower and wash up facilities serviced daily
Shared wood BBQ's
Some firewood provided but BYO to be sure
Pets are not allowed.
Maximum length of stay is two weeks.

See website for further info:
http://www.tams.act...._river_corridor

#14 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

Love the race, ran it the last two years, with the course last year reverting back to its original 'all downhill' format.

Last year I ran it hard, and in hindsight I believe it was probably the initial cause of the 'OP' I am currently suffering from. It's a very tough race if you go hard.

If I was uninjured, I'd be there. It's a top event, well organised and always good to catch up with the ACT running crowd.

Cheers, Blue Dog. :)

#15 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

View PostRUN 422, on Sep 28 2007, 10:44 AM, said:

Why isn't Brindy on the AURA Calender?

It is on the Aura website calendar.

As for coolrunning it's in the ACT calendar but not in the ultra calendar.

#16 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

I'm planning to do Bulls Head for the first time this year, really looking forward to it!

:)

#17 mack

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

Lynda,

We camped at Cotter Reserve for the last two years and didn't need to book. Just turned up the day before and self paid for the site. The earlier in the day you arrive, the more choice of sites you will have but you should be ok. I don't think you can book a site anyway as the rangers just drop by to clean up and check that you've paid.

#18 Lynda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

J & Mack,

Thanks for the info. We will just turn up Saturday afternoon before the run and pitch our tent!

#19 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

Last year I done Bulls Head and absolutely loved it, its up there as one of my favourites. I will be there for the full monty this year as long as my recovery from Adelaide continues to keep going well.

Cheers
Becky O  :)

#20 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

The FULL 54 km is a hard run. While I have only ran the 27km, the ultra defintely sets to smash your quads!
The 27km is a fantastic run as well. Starting off almost 90minutes later than the Brindabella classic, the somewhat long bus trip UP gives you a good feel of the route and gradient you will be running! The first 6-8kms are somewhat steep. No exactly very windy. A fantastic view from 12km mark onwards. Get ready to be awe by the amazing views during the last 4 drink stops.

Last year's winner  and ACT local Nathan Versey took off well at the start of the race and ran neck to neck with the runners up when he broke away in teh last few Ks.

An added bonus is the lake at the foot of the reserve - fantastic to soak those trashed muscles. And too enjoy the BBQ and fruits..

I enjoyed the BULLS head and convinced few peopel from our running club to drive down from Sydney.
Finshed 8th with 2hours 8minutes. Am hoping i can beat that time this year

And KUDOS to BeckO for a fantastic run over the weekend..!
REst well for this one.

#21 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

*Bump*

My Brindy entry is confirmed, and accommodation booked (at the Embassy Motel), which is reasonably close to the start.

Looking forward to the race - it was a lot of fun last year,  well organised with very friendly volunteers at the aid stations.

A lasting memory for me from last year's event was the "duelling bushrangers" string quartet up in the woods before the track descended into the desert-like landscape.

So, who else is in?  :)

#22 royworlds

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

I entered a couple of days ago for the 54km.

After reading all the great race reports last year I had to add it to the 'Must Run' list.

#23 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

View PostBandanna, on Oct 11 2007, 09:42 AM, said:

So, who else is in?  :)
I'm still in! Just had an easy 3 hour run, and will take it easy for the next 10 days or so. Should be a great day.
Cheers. ChookLegs....

#24 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

I have run this the last 2 years but only lasy year was the 'classic' as I understand it. This year I will be doing some on course GNW running instead of being at this one. I enjoyed last year but it did get a bit warm on the lower parts near the end. Those two creek crossings are a wonderful boast to sure lower leg muscles. :)

#25 osmo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'm still in, just taking a few days off to let hamstrings recover fully! What is the nearest motel to the start of the race? My wife (wow first time I've got to type that) will be coming down with me to watch the race, is there anything interesting (tourist like) to do at brindabella whilst the race is being run?

#26 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Ive paid my entry for the full monty, I just hope my legs are going a little faster by then cause at this rate the cut-offs are looking tough with my nanna pace :) I'll have to make sure I remember to pack for a cold start, it was freezing last time. I'll prob be staying at the Embassy Hotel again this time being so close to the race.

Cheers
Becky O...

#27 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:42 AM

Count me for the 54 too! I'll be heading down to Canberra on Saturday afternoon after the kids finish at Little A's. Getting away from Sydney for a couple of days is always something to look forward to.
Had a great run here last year and looking forward to running the course again now that I know what to expect. Body's still not 100% after Trailwalker / Sydney Marathon, but I'll give it my best shot. :)

#28 FlyerUltra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

This is a great event which has had a bit less attention than it deserves the last 5 years or so, partly due to the Canberra bushfires and interruptions to the original, delightful course and also due to other events filling the calendar like Fitzroy Falls - I am really pleased to see more CR's are intending to give it a go and I hope you will enjoy the friendly atmosphere and classic sub-alpine scenery.

As I am only just returning from injury I will not be racing this year but will most likely help out at one of the drinks stations in the first half of the race.

Those those doing the full event- make sure you have something warm for the start and have available to wear (if needed) a spare layer including light thermal, beanie and/or gloves. It was pretty reasonable last year but there can be snow and wild freezing winds up there at the start sometimes - see Mt Ginini weather to see what I mean - currently 2 degrees with wind chill (28-48km/h) bringing it down to -5 degrees.  By the time you get to the second half it can often be quite warm, particularly when you reach the bushfire-devastated lower reaches of the course.

Again, for those doing the full monty I would recommend that you take the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and the long gliding slopes of the upper Brindabellas - this means not pushing yourself too hard in the first half to Bull's Head. It is very easy to go far too fast early on in this race and you will pay for it later- particularly in the last 15K or so. You need to get to Bull's Head briskly, but still have plenty to spare for the second half. If you're already knackered by  Bull's Head then it is going to be a long, painful day at the office.

See y'all there

Phibes

#29 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

I'm back for my third run. The first one was great, the second was changed at the last minute to two laps of the bottom section. Looking forward to being back on the 'real' course. The year that I started from the top it was 0, but I started in a singlet anyway. Plenty of time to warm up. Driving up on Saturday, driving home Monday.
Seeya all there :)

#30 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

I'm in for Bulls Head, although I forgot to book bus to the start so need to try and add that on!
Booked room at the Embassy for Becky O and myself. $90 on need.it.now.com - anyone else who hasn't booked yet there are still rooms availiable. Wotif wanted $139!

See you all there

:)

#31 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

This is the next stop on the Horrie train towards GNW100. Looking forward to going a bit quicker than last year when I was hampered by a troublesome ITB.

#32 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

Won't have internet access again till Wednesday night (or possibly Thursday), but i'm hoping the next week is enough for me to make a decent fist of this run (bottom line i'm not going to put in a late entry just to be a finisher  :p ).
Haven't run since Melbourne Marathon, was barely able to hobble until Wednesday (between the calf and the deep cut on my knee), have now walked 20K's on Friday and 15 today, hope to get in a bit of secret training the next few days (a mate of mine with a house near coastal Gippsland) for the next few days and if i'm content with my progress i'll be there (shame my permanent number is in storage  :) ).
Love this run, i'm quite sure i was made for running downhills (and would love to see how my only ever trail shoes Nike Humarasgo), so don't be surprised if you see me there,
Kelvin
P.S. i know many people suggest i need rest (and i have often suggested as such) but i know me too well, i'm way too much an addictive personality, the knee has stuffed up my moves on the dancefloor so gigs aren't the answer and that only leaves booze as an option !!!

Edited by Kelvin, 13 October 2007 - 07:30 PM.

#33 Tim 2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

View PostKelvin, on Oct 13 2007, 04:20 AM, said:

P.S. i know many people suggest i need rest (and i have often suggested as such) but i know me too well, i'm way too much an addictive personality, the knee has stuffed up my moves on the dancefloor so gigs aren't the answer and that only leaves booze as an option !!!

Just blame it on aura points comp!! :)

See you there Kelvin.

#34 Old knees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hi All

Looks like it may be a hot one this year  :)

I did this run two years ago, starting at the finish and going to Bulls Head and back, which was hard.

So, this year it should be good to have a bus ride up there.

See U Sunday.

#35 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

Should I have received anything in the mail yet or do we collect on race day? I can't remember from previous years.

#36 djh

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

View PostRUN 422, on Oct 17 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

Should I have received anything in the mail yet or do we collect on race day? I can't remember from previous years.

I received mine in the mail today - but I live in Canberra so it may take a little longer to get to Sydney or Melbourne.  Anyway, they have been posted.

Good luck everybody!!

#37 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

View PostRUN 422, on Oct 17 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

I just e-mailed the race organisers with this very question, and received a prompt reply.
Race details were posted out on Monday, so we should receive our numbers and other information tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
Cheers.

#38 Mick C

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

Race packs were posted out tuesday morning.  If it fails to arrive prior to the run I will re-issue chest numbers on the day.

At present there are 37 full distance runners, nine Relay teams and 54 BHC runners.  Most people have elected to take the bus to the respective starts which cuts down the traffic on the dirt roads.

If anyone would like more information about the event here is the perfect place to ask.  I have a reasonably good knowledge of the course and how things will be organised on the day.

Mick Corlis

#39 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

View PostMick C, on Oct 17 2007, 10:07 PM, said:

At present there are 37 full distance runners....
At least I'll come top in the top 37, then.....  :)

#40 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for that, can't wait.

#41 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

View PostHorrie, on Oct 13 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

This is the next stop on the Horrie train towards GNW100. Looking forward to going a bit quicker than last year when I was hampered by a troublesome ITB.

Good luck Horrie and to the other runners.  :)

#42 osmo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

Gday all
Booked in at the embassy just then, I am pumped and ready to roll... however what this stuff about needing to book the bus? do I need to book a bus? what else do i need to do?... do I park my car at the finish and then meet it at the bottom? Where do I buy gels from? No one in bathurst has them...
Look forward to seeing every one on the day, I'll be in 37th spot if anyone wants to find me... (or maybe asleep in a ditch somewhere ha ha)

#43 Bandanna

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

Looks like we will have a big turnout at the Embassy Motel  :)

Received my number today in the mail.

Osmo, the mini-bus takes you to the start at the top of the mountain, from the car park at the finish at Cotter Reserve. I am sure that there will still be tickets for sale to secure a place on the bus on race day, but Mick C is in the best position to answer that.

Will there be a pasta get together Saturday evening like we did last year?

Edited by Bandanna, 18 October 2007 - 06:35 PM.

#44 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

Having done 5 hours on Gippsland beaches yesterday, pretty much realised both calves are dodgy (particularly the right one), and having run a little today i know the knee has a damned hollow, very suss feel, i reckon i'd be an idiot if i start. That's not to say i'm a definite non starter at this moment, but i'd be hoping just pride in performance (and pure ego  :) ) is the only way i'd get through.
I know it's not a definite answer but frankly it is real hard to miss one of my very favourite runs (i'm convinced i was made to run downhill),
Kelvin

#45 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

View PostKelvin, on Oct 18 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

Having done 5 hours on Gippsland beaches yesterday, pretty much realised both calves are dodgy (particularly the right one), and having run a little today i know the knee has a damned hollow, very suss feel, i reckon i'd be an idiot if i start. That's not to say i'm a definite non starter at this moment, but i'd be hoping just pride in performance (and pure ego  :) ) is the only way i'd get through.
I know it's not a definite answer but frankly it is real hard to miss one of my very favourite runs (i'm convinced i was made to run downhill),
Kelvin

quote Kelvin from previous post on C2K

Having been away from the computer a little, have to admit i'm much happier to see this event is now official. In terms of the entry fee $250 for a 240K Ultra is in line with the 100 Milers and 24 Hour races price wise, but i have to admit i'm not quite sure what we are getting other than insurance, as i'm assuming we still need to bring our own crew, drinks, etc.
I guess there will be an entry form floating around soon enough and will be interested to read just exactly what is involved with cut offs etc.
At the moment feel like bit of a piker after my previous post on this thread, but i'd be honest and say my leg will have to be in decent shape by at least early November no matter how much i'd like to be in the first official C2K (after managing to re open the deep wound on my right knee from Six Foot Track with a fall on Sunday's marathon and some post Germany calf problems i'm dying to get back out and run, but frankly the fact i make posts at 2AM says something about my knee at present - in other words hoping a couple of painkillers will kick in soon and i can sleep ).
I have to agree with Ian that the only way this run will grow is by it being made official, and i'd like to think that will be shown by an increase in numbers this year (with or without me !),
Kelvin

Kelvin,

Don't do it. If that knee has been f##ked since 6 foot track.  

I think sombody has been trying to tell you something for a long time.

However you AREN'T listening.

Recover and fight another day.

thomo

#46 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

View Postosmo, on Oct 18 2007, 06:07 PM, said:

I'll be in 37th spot if anyone wants to find me... (or maybe asleep in a ditch somewhere ha ha)
Osmo,
I'll be fighting you for last place, since I've managed to get a cold and have been struggling with sore throat, sinusitis and muscle aches for the last couple of days.......Not great preparation for a 54 km ultra. I've taken today off work to see if I can recover a bit.
See you all; at least at the start.
Cheers,
ChookLegs...

#47 Mick C

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

Osmo and others,

Last minute supplies are available at the Runners Shop.  They have a good selection of Gels etc.

http://www.therunnersshop.com.au/

The major supermarkets in Canberra also tend to stock a wide range of sports drinks and Gels.

For those in need of transport to the start there are still seats available to Mt Ginini.  The Buses to Bulls Head are pretty much full.  The Buses to Mt Ginini leave Cotter at 6.15am, this should get you to the start around 7.40am.  For Bulls Head the buses leave at 9.00am and arrive around 9.45am.

If you have not received your race pack or you forget to bring it I will be able to re-issue chest number.  Bring your own pins if possible.  I will have a limited supply.

This link gives you a good idea of where Cotter reserve is in relation to Canberra.  Follow Cotter Road off the left hand side of the map until the end of the yellow section.

http://www.tripadvis...serve-Area.html

The forecast for Sunday is 30 degrees so get plenty of fluid in today and tomorrow. It was 18 degrees at 8.30 this morning.  There are plenty of drink stations along the course but prior preparation is always best.

Mick C

#48 FlyerUltra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

View PostBandanna, on Oct 18 2007, 02:33 AM, said:

Will there be a pasta get together Saturday evening like we did last year?
I've edited my previous post on this as the restaurant I had planned to use is currently closed for renovations- Thanks Mick C for alerting me to that.

While I am not running Brindy this year (still returning slowly from injury) I will be working on a drinks station, so I am happy to organise a CR pre-Brindabella dinner in the Centre of Canberra this Sat night and would like to hear expressions of interest by early this evening (Friday) so that I can can book a table. Iím shooting for an early dinner (because most us will be up at 5 am on Sun AM  )

Time: 6:30pm

Place: Australia Pizza Kitchen (APK), Bailey's Corner, Canberra City, 143 London Circuit, Canberra City

Australian Pizza Kitchen website

Location on Google Maps:APK Canberra City Location

APK is a reputable Italian food/pizza style eatery in the Woden area that caters to vego and non-vego tastes. Cost range approx $15-$25/head depending on appetite and extras. Unfortunately BYO is not allowed at this APK, unlike the one we used in Woden last year (which is currently closed for renovations).

There are many public parking lots available on the inside of London Circuit, particularly to the South near the Canberra Theatre/Legislative Assembly Area- 5 minute walk.

Table will be booked under the name "CoolRunners" .

Once I have finalised the numbers ( I will add a few spares) and confirmed the booking I will re-post the details here on Saturday morning. If there are any problems with the booking (it is pretty busy) I will leave a note here. Perhaps a few representatives from those travelling together can TXT me so I have a few contact numbers if things fall through.

My phone contact details are: (mob) 0404 382 824, (W) 02 6232 8361, (H) (02) 6288 4231. Give me a call anytime.

cheers  :)

Phibes

Edited by Phibes, 19 October 2007 - 01:25 PM.

#49 Bandanna

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

Sounds good Phibes. Thanks for organising.

Put my name down, plus 3 (Horrie, BeckyO and Running Angel).

30C..... :)  :p

#50 RB

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

Add me to the list

With the forcast predicting 30 degrees, wine will be off the list.

Thanks Phibes