9 replies to this topic

#1 Davo

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

I have been advised that rubbing methylated spirits on the bottom of my feet and in between my toes will help to prevent blisters.
Is this a good idea?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

it's a very good idea,it thickens the skin up a treat

#3 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

ask glassman he did that before westfield syd-melb

#4 GUnit

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm my evil ballet teacher made us do this after class when we started point work to toughen up our toes.

After that I always wrote this off as a myth perpetuated by a sadistic cow ....... but maybe I am wrong....  :rolleyes:

#5 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Rowers do it to quite successfully toughen up hands and feet. Friction of oars causes blisters on hands - metho hardens it just enough for the blisters not to form, during the formation of calluses (sp?), the foot straps also cause blisters - and those who consider themselves 'tough' wont wear socks - so metho there too (top of feet) prevents a collection of very nasty blisters.

So yes - do it if blistering is a problem.

Or get comfy socks and check out the size of your shoes with a runner that sells running shoes.

#6 meh

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

I have heard the theory from a physio that if you're susseptible to blisters you should actually moisturise your feet. The theory being that for endurance events if you need to lance the blister it is a lot less painful and easier to drain if the skin is soft.

I would also be careful with the metho I know one poor bloke who put it on his hands then without thinking rubbed his head and handled some matches - not a nice result :rolleyes:

Edited by meh, 04 July 2008 - 11:40 AM.

#7 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

when i was a racing cyclist we used to wash our saddle area with metho,it really toughened up the skin and sterilised it,those years i had no problems with saddle sores or infections,i was often doing two hundred k days or training twice daily blah blah

#8 Cato

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

View PostDavo, on Jul 4 2008, 10:30 AM, said:

I have been advised that rubbing methylated spirits on the bottom of my feet and in between my toes will help to prevent blisters.
Is this a good idea?

Davo
I just use Body Glide between the toes and have also used it on occasions on the soles of my feet when using a new pair of orthotics.
I have not had a blister in 5 years because of this.
Blisters are caused by "friction and heat" and I feel that something that reduces friction is a better option.
I believe that Metho is mainly used to toughen up the skin so I guess if you have used metho for a few weeks prior to a big run it may help.

Cato

#9 RunnerNickelass

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

Kayakers also use metho to toughen up the hands - especially for marathon length events.  Hands can often be wet for the duration of the event.  With the addition of the wear an tear from paddling mean that blisters or rubbing are highly likely - even when wearing gloves.

In fact it would be hard to imagine completing a marathon length kayak event without using something like this.

In running I rarely have problems with blisters as long as I use well fitted shoes and put in the miles.

I would suggest that you also try changing your shoes / socks and see if it makes a difference.  Or do some trail running as this toughens up the feet with the added bonus running in a great location.

Edited by Nickelass, 04 July 2008 - 12:57 PM.

#10 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks guys.
I never had blisters until my latest pair of shoes which are a tad too big for me, thus causing movement inside the shoe and therefore blisters.
I have taken to wearing two pairs of socks, and also super-glued a thin strip of foam into the back of the shoe where the achilles is, and that seems to have alleviated the problem.
I mentioned all this to a friend and he recommended the metho treatment, which I shall keep in mind if the problem flares up again.