#1 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anybody could spare some time between Saturday 7:30pm and Sunday 7:30 am doing lapscoring for the 9th Annual Coastal Classic Ultra Track event.

It is held at Adcock Park West Gosford NSW on the Central Coast.

Lapscore for an hour, a couple of hours or more anytime during the Classic. For 7:30pm starters if you could arrive around 7:15pm please. See Frank Overton, Greg Rowe or myself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S we have almost 40 competitors which is going to be close to our record.

Paul Thompson

thomo@zeta.org.au

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thomo,

Do you think you could put a list of starters on this thread?

#3 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:54 AM

I'll be there

#4 Uncle Dave

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

Greetings from sunny downtown Eden folks.

Just wanted to say good luck to all those competing. I've got some very fond memories of this event and am sorry I won't be up there to see Hermie, Horrie and Miss Skarmel all go into three figures on the scoreboard. Bring on the 100ks!

Unc

#5 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

Unfortunately with this weekend being a prime one for distance runners (This event, Bogong to Hotham and Hobart Marathon), i won't be there this year. Certainly alot of familiar runners competing and wish every one of you out there the best for tomorrows event. Enjoy the grass track and the fact that getting lost is not a possibility   :P  . Hope to read of numerous 100K efforts when next i log in (Monday i guess after returning from Bogong).
Just rapt to see bigger numbers in all Ultra events to start 2006   :D  ,

#6 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:09 AM

Just back in Sydney town after a visit to family on the coast. Took advantage to pop in at Adcock Park just after 8pm to say hi to everyone. A roll call of CR's that I saw running :
Horrie
Miss Skarmel
Twopennys
Barney
Hermanator
Everyman

There was another runner in a CR singlet but did not recognise him. Had a bit of a chat with support crews Belinda and Omni before my young ones started to get a bit feral.

A nice cool breeze blowing froim the south but as we headed south we hit a few rain showers which I hope avoid Adcock Park.

Everyone was looking very comfortable as we left, but then you would hope so given they were only at the one hour mark!

#7 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

Hi all,

Well it is finished.  I hope all the runners have done well.  I just got a test message from   a very happy (Edit:Horrie)...correction he just rang back after I left him a message.

He did 102km in 12 hours.  He said he held off Paul Every for 11 hours but deep down knew he was going to be caught. His feet are "bashed". He said he ran 6 minutes pace for the first three hours and then did 20 laps per hour for 6 hours.  

Two Pennys finished and I will let him tell you how he went...pretty impressive...so too with Miss Skarmel.  Jan did 91km  John Megler won the event (PMC 2005 winner) and Barney did well for the majority of the race and had some issues towards the end but I am sure well supported by Omni and Sportsman.  

Horrie sounded tired but very happy and stoked to be in a event with the above quality runners as well as a few others he mentioned such as Bob Fickel and Julia Thorn.

How good is Cool Running I am on the Gold Coast reporting back on an event where I normally  holiday near Avoca and there are the Bogong to Hotham results to come yet.

Well done everyone.  Cheers  Plu

Edit:  Thanks Phil

Post Number and Year

This is post 1981.  In 1981 I finally worked up the courage to ask Jenny out and we went out for a year.  Absolutely no running or even exercise... too busy with university and 21st birthday parties.

#8 JourneymanPhil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

Plu said "Well it is finished. I hope all the runners have done well. I just got a test message from a very happy...correction he just rang back after I left him a message.

He did 102km in 12 hours. He said he held off Paul Every for 11 hours but deep down knew he was going to be caught. His feet are "bashed". He said he ran 6 minutes pace for the first three hours and then did 20 laps per hour for 6 hours.
"

Who are we talking about Plu?  :unsure:

#9 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

OR - the "other" guy in the CR singlet was So Lucky from Townsville.

Congrats to all the CR's who put in such great performances - Horrie you were a standout - absolutely brilliant result mate  :)

I managed a gnats whisker over 93k that I am very satisfied with.

A very well run event and very fortunate with the weather.

Cheers, 2P

#10 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

After dragging my body out of a 2k washing machine at Nth Bondi I received a text message from Horrie saying he had done 100k in the 12 hours. I see he actually did 102k.

Congratulations Horrie on a great result.   B)  Congrats to all the other CR's who competed as well.

#11 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

We arrived at Adcock Park just before 7, driving our car in and parking it on the inside of the track. It had the appearance of a real carnival atmosphere with the cars and tents on the inside of the track. Unpacked gear, food and drinks and put them on the ground just behind the car. As I looked around and saw all the fold out card tables with runners food and drinks, I was starting to feel unprepared. And with Belinda lap scoring for me, I felt that I should have had a crew as well as some runners had entourages there, kicking their heels up listening to a turned up radio and drinking beer, wine and champagne. The nerves were really starting to kick in at this stage. I headed over to pick up my race number and t shirt and listening to the announcer calling out runners' names who hadn't turned up and one of the names was Martin Harris. I don't know if Martin turned up but it wasn't our very own MPHaz. I finished preparing my diluted sports drink and still had about 10-15 minutes until the start. Gradually made my way to the start and was awestruck as I looked around at the depth of quality in the field. There were ultra legends all around including Paul Every, Jan Hermann and Carol Baird. There were also well credentialled runners such as Chris 'Barney' Graham, Hermaphrodite and Julia Thorn. I was really feeling my status as new kid on the block and was reminded of my first day at school. I just told myself I had to just get out there and run and let everything take care of itself.

The gun went off and I just clicked into a pace of 6 min/km after the initial laps. My fuelling/hydration plan was to drink every 15 minutes and eat every half hour. I spent the first hour running and chatting to So Lucky who was down from Townsville and Julia Thorn and was starting to relax. There were a few of us on the same lap for the first hour and we were all in equal 9th place. John Megler, who won PMC last year was a tearaway leader and was lapping 1:50 a lap according to Paul 'The King' Arthur who popped in to offer a bit of support. He looked like he was on a mission to have a crack at Uncle Dave's race record. I was getting dizzy watching him go past as he continued to lap the field. When AndrewC from WA lapped me for a second time, I tagged along with him for a while and discussed pace. He knew he was going too fast but felt that it would even out later when he started to include walk breaks. This did not happen for him and his race was to end early. Another couple of the early leaders were to suffer similar fates. Barney was really starting to work his way into the race and was climbing the leader board as each hour passed. I reached the marathon distance in a few minutes under 4:30 and was happy with the pace even though I was starting to slow. When we changed direction at 5 hours, I freshened up by towelling myself down and changing singlets. It was at this point that I set myself a goal of sticking to a certain pace and churn out 20 laps/8km each hour which I ended up doing for the next 6 hours. At the 9 hour mark, I went to the Gents to try and get rid of this gnawing feeling I had in my gut which had been there from around the 1 hour mark. Sportsman was worried about me and followed me in and had a quick discussion of what was needed from me if I was going to reach my goal of 100km. This was much appreciated as I was really starting to feel the pain at this point. It was around this point that Barney, after working his way into 3rd position was hit with some problems which saw him retire to his tent for a well earnt rest. I had worked my way into 6th place at this point but was reminded of the quality in the field when Paul Every and eventual 2nd placed woman Michelle Thompson started taking laps off me at a fairly rapid rate. Michelle moved past me in the 10th hour and the Everyman was to eventually go past me in the 11th hour. I knew I could not let this worry me and I needed to continue on with my own plan of reaching the 100km. With 240 laps against my name at hour 11, I knew I had it in the bag as I only had to do 10 laps/4km in the last hour. I could walk it in from here and still get there. So I walked a bit longer than I usually did to munch on some salt and vinegar chips and drink some coke. I finally cracked the 100km at around 11:33, which was very well received by Belinda who took a photo of the moment I crossed the line, Sportsman and Miss Skarmel who had retired from the race earlier after running 50km. After finishing the lap, I continued to run to my food and drink station where I once again indulged in some more chips and coke. After finishing the walk lap to eat and drink, I planned to run again but feeling the pain all through my body at this stage, I decided to just walk it in from here and just soak the moment in. It was quite surreal and like I was watching from the stands.

It was great meeting some of the interstate Cool Runners and So Lucky and Hermaphrodite acquitted themselves quite well. It was also great watching 2p plough on and run 93km on 50km weeks at best. Great effort mate!

Finally, a special thank you to Belinda, Sportsman and Omni for the lapscoring. I know it was tough running but I can't imagine what it would be like counting laps hour after hour. Fantastic effort guys!

#12 Redback

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

Awesome Horrie, just awesome. Well done.

#13 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

Superb run, Horrie! And all that, after 7 hours with me at the 'Fat Ass' run last Monday! Real proud of you I am, m'lad!  And Belinda too....what a great gal you are!  B)     LL

#14 Chunderbolt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

Well done Horrie.

Top effort, mate.

#15 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

Great effort Horrie and Belinda. I am happy you reached your goal.  Have a good rest and drink heaps   ;)  .

#16 KIT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

Horrie... truely awesome (a little insane) but truely awesome!!!  What a huge effort!  I am so glad you cracked the century!!!  Now don't stay on the dark side too long   ;)  

Enjoy a rest   :D

#17 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Horrie:
Congratulations on a great effort and result. I am so pleased you were able to reach your goal. The report was great. Have a long rest both physicially and mentally. Catch up with you soon.  B)

#18 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Great report Horrie. Sensational effort to crack the 100klms for 12hrs. Have a rest and may see you Australia Day as I'm not ready for SMC just yet.  :)

#19 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Horrie, that is simply sensational, congratulations! And not forgetting your crew, I bet their encouragement must have especially helped during the early hours of the morning.  

Well done to all the other Coolrunners, fantastic effort.

I can't but help wondering that after doing 240 plus laps of running around an oval you'd be seeing little green men  :)

#20 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:25 AM

Just a few observations from the lapscorers tent.
Considering I love to race,  am not that keen on watching races when I can’t run, and did the midnight to dawn shift, it was an enjoyable experience.
Barney asked me to score for him and I was pleased to help a good ultra runner, When I arrived he was 5th and looking great. He was moving through the field and got to 3rd position, heading toward 110k- but unfortunately developed nausea/hydration problems and wisely took time out. After a 96 min stop he resumed, walking cautiously, but still got a creditable 96 or so km.
Also helped with Horries laps and a few other runners.
Horries ran a very intelligent, well paced race. After getting a few km in the bank for his 100k target he settled on 20laps/hour for the rest of the race. I was tempted a few times to prompt him to race past other runners, but decided he had the race well under control.
Miss Skamel retired to the scorers tent as I arrived and I gently tried to get her to resume. But her effort of a quick 50k on little training was quite good.
So Lucky was traveling along very nicely. At one point we noticed him pick up the pace. A 2:15 lap, then another, then several more.  Then later he slowed down. Had he overdone it? No- found out a bit later he speeded up to beat the Aus record for 70y.o. 50 miles. Not content with 1 record, he also beat the 100k and 12 hour marks.
Standout performance goes to 80y.o.+  Stan Miskin. He walked, for the whole race, but went past the 80yo age World Record for 12 hours to get about 74.1k. How could he walk and beat a running World  Record? Well, he was working hard, breathing quite heavily, and keeping up a very consistent pace. In the last hour, needing to pick up his speed, he did consistent 3:30 laps, which is 82k pace.
Other great performances included-
Winner John Mergler, about 122k
Vivien Kartsounis 2nd Overall, 1st female about 115k
John Robins, Always looked fresh. 2nd Male.
CR Hermaphrodite 3rd Male. Overcame a few problems but kept going for a great result.
Michele Thompson 2nd Female, great style,  about 103k
CR Everyman, who was at his best at the end of the race,
and all other finishers.

#21 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

As a relatively unknown coolrunner I was excited and pleased to remeet Barney at the Coastal Classic 12 Hour. Barney pointed out others such TwoPennys, Horrie and others. Being a little shy and 'focussed' on running the jolly thing I did not introduce myself to them.

Barney ran a very brave race. Having told me beforehand that he his goal was primarily to finish having had two prior DNFs I was very pleased for him to be coming third overall at a latter point. However, trouble came to him and I observed him 'unconscious' in his tent wrapped up and not looking well at all. But he emerged later a little wobbly but managed to keep going to be there at the end. That was not a DNF, but a good example of a runner showing guts and determination. Barney also was very encouraging to me. During the race, he asked me how I was going on many occasions as well as exhorting me to keep going. Thanks Barney! It is good to have encouragement from the sideline but encouragement from the field is better.

My own race was good. Much better than expected and I will post a short report later.

#22 JourneymanPhil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

Well done to All. Couple of good female performances in there as well.

#23 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

I was too over this yesterday to write a report   :)  

Yes congratulations Horrie - yours was a standout performance. The other things that really impressed and inspired me were:

- The top 3 women who all went over 100k

- The first 3 place getters 2 guys and a woman (sorry being a novice I don't know their names - maybe they are in Horries post?) Who all kept passing me with monotonous regularity.

- The heart & humility of Paul Every & Jan Hermans who both were having less than perfect days at the office (Paul had a bad back and I think Jan was sick). Both never failed to offer me encouragement and kind words when our paths crossed on the night. I remember at one stage well into the event seeing on the leader board that I was only 4 laps behind Paul and a shed load in front of Jan (which just isn't right) - yet Paul went on to do well over 100k & Jan kept circling me like a buzzard over a corpse towards the end and closed the gap significantly.

I don't want to go on about the above too much but there is a lesson here - both men demonstrated to me the importance of keeping a positive disposition and that when things are tough take time out to look after yourself, re-focus and draw on your mental strength and experience to get moving again at a reasonable pace - so thanks for the lesson and the encouragement guys   :)  

Like Horrie, I was a little in awe at the start - I was also wondering what the hell I was doing there! I only decided to do this a couple of weeks before Christmas and so was pretty much going into my first ultra off half marathon training and 3 weeks of hills (6' training). The other part of my prep was to read I finally found my hero by Phil Essam.

I figured to go out dead slow take regular breaks and see how things went. The plan was 6.30 - 6.45 pace with a 1 min walk/drink/eat break every 20 mins.

This worked well for the first 50k but then things went to hell in a handbasket as my tummy started to play up. In my 60/70/80k splits I had to take long toilet breaks - not sure why, all the food and drink was stuff I'd had before in runs and on long bushwalks. In hindsight maybe I was just taking too much in. It's a fine line - because on the upside I got no cramps or spasms of any kind and could still run at the end so I suppose I just need a bit more experience to get the balance right.

Though my tummy cleared up I was stuffed for my 90k split only managing 13k over the last 2 hours. I was however pleased that I covered more distance in my 12th than my 11th hour.

I ended up with 93k and very satisfied, blister and injury free - thanks to all the volunteers who make this a well run and enjoyable event.

And huge thanks to Mrs 2P and the Halfpenny who supported me through the night.

Cheers 2P

#24 Mars

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

Congrats Horrie !!!

How did So Lucky finish up? I was chatting to him at the start and he was aiming at the 100km but was pretty relaxed.

Congrats again on notching up the century.

Octagonal

#25 Fire Horse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

I lap-scored for So Lucky  - he finished very well, with 100km + an extra 600m-1km, from memory - great effort.  He broke his own mark for the M70 50 mile by 4 mins, and set new marks for the 100km and 12 hour by the end of the event.  I met him for the first time at this event, and was impressed by his maturity and experience as an athlete, and also his philosophy on the ultra.  He kicked down the pace for half an hour to take the 50 mile mark in good form, recovered over a few laps, and was back on pace, that he held pretty much until the final gun.
Well done So Lucky - nice meeting you.    :)

#26 fat bloke

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

a big pat on the back for all the finishers

thats a big effort horrie on your maiden 12 hour{24 hr would be double the fun}

mr consistenet hermie looks to have had another solid run, along with everyman.

i hope to be able to grace this event with my presence sometime soon as it sounded like so much fun.

enjoy the recovery

fats

#27 John Dawlings

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Just wondering how Bob Fickel and Glen Gielessen went.  Does anyone know?

#28 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

Onya Horrie, big effort.

Cheers, Dog.  B)

#29 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

The following is a bit of a race report from the bloke from Dubbo.

I prepared for this event, my first 12 hour, by doing my usual training which is running to work and back home (about 11km all up per day) and by a long run on Saturday every fortnight that worked itself from about 3 hours to 8 and a half hours three weeks before the event. That last run I completed 80km, so I felt reasonably confident that 100km was possible. (Although you never know!)

At the start of the race, my fantastic wife and two of my older sons set up our tent and refreshment table and took responsiblity for lap scoring and timing. The boys loved being up all night, something new. My wife actually enjoyed the night which was a relief to me. She enjoyed talking to the supporters and crew of the runners very much. It is quite a social evening! Much better than the Pub.

I wore my HR monitor to ensure that I ran no faster than 120b/min for the first 6 hours, no faster than 130b/min for the next 4 hours, then I thought I would let it rip and go for it. I still couldn't get it above 150b/min at the end.

I walked one lap for every 10 run. This worked well as I was able to eat properly and drink heaps. Actually I think I drank too much as my frequent toilet stops showed. Also I practiced frequent tipping of water on my head, arms and legs. This helped heaps as my body is not used to the humidity of the coast. Dubbo is hot but dry of air.

As the race progressed, my tactics paid off with my pace increasing towards the last couple of hours. This was unchartered territory, and I was not sure what my body would do. It did not know whether it would bonk or bounce. It decided to bounce! This was to be a wonderful experience as I found that rare time when running becomes almost effortless despite increasing leg soreness. It is a pity this does not happen more often. I finished fast with 111.802km much better than the 100 to 109 km I was hoping for. To say I was elated is an understatement.

Despite doing well myself, I was way more impressed by the runners who did it tough but rested then came back for for punishment. Mentally, I find it easier to keep going in a trail run such as Six Foot or Warrumbungle because it is difficult to pull out. In a track race one can pack up and go more easily. Several CoolRunners beat their 'demons' and finished what they started. Well done guys!

The organizers did a great job. This is a very well organized event equal with Six Foot Track I would say and well worth the effort next year.

Also thanks to my great crew of my wife (Robimum, new CoolRunner) and Dan and Nath my two older boys who between the three of them kept me happy and fresh. They were legends.

#30 JourneymanPhil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well done run2work!   Great result.

Phil

#31 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

Three days is a long round trip for a 12 hour race but maybe next time I'll fly.

I turned up at the track after waiting beside the wrong one for 2 hours.This is a goose feeling as I've been there before.

My race plan was the first 25k in 2.20,the next 25k in 2.40,three hours for the next 25 then 4 hours for the last 25 making 100k with whatever extra I could get being an extra.As you can see this is out fast with the usual decline towards the end.

The first 50k came up as scheduled,80k was about 8.30,100 at 11.12hr for 107.07km.
PBs for 6 hours,12 hours and 100km.

Terrific atmosphere for this race,with the tents,cars,supporters etc.
Surprisingly the lap events really aren't boring as people expect.For people who haven't done it,when you are fresh everything just moves along.Chatting with others is easy if you want.When you are tired tunnel vision sets in and really the bit in front of you is the main focus.I found interesting the different paces of people.Sometimes you'd pass them and you'd think they were gone then later they'd pass you.Really difficult to explain.

Congrats to Miss Skarmel,50ks,first ultra.Welcome to the dark side.

Big effort Horrie.I thought you'd really fallen away then you seemed to be lapping me.Big comeback I think.

Thrax was there.Struggling away but consistently moving despite a rest tentside for a while I think.

AndrewC travelled from WA with his entourage.Remember the yellow shirts.His crew helped me out immensely early on before Andrew succumbed to two bung hamstrings and retired.Please pass on my thanks again Andrew.I really think the assistance allowed the chance for PBs.

I would have stayed for the presentations but I had to get to Newcastle,and with no rest areas on the expressway,i figured I'd probably fall asleep if I didn't go straight away.

Congrats and thanks to the organisers.Despite being a track event there must still be a huge amount of work involved.Next year is the tenth year and possibly electronic scoring will be added.

Remember,Caboolture is on February 4.

Cheers all.

#32 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Fantastic run run2work. I didn't know who you were but saw you putting a lot of laps on me over the last couple of hours. Your race plan certainly worked for you as you looked so fresh towards the end. The way you were finishing, I thought you were a very experienced Ultra runner. It's blown me away that it was your first. Absolutely mind blowing effort!

Hermaphrodite, it was nice meeting you and talking to you along the way. You are right about the pace of runners playing tricks on you as I was running 20 laps/8km per hour for about 6 hours in a row. I did notice your pace fluctuating but that is how you planned it and it certainly worked for you. Congrats on the PBs!

#33 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

John Dawlings
veryCoolRunner
Member # 461

posted 10 January, 2006 07:29 AM                      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering how Bob Fickel and Glen Gielessen went. Does anyone know?  

--------------------------------------
Bob Fickel ran well. He took time out for maybe 2 hours and got to 85/90 km area.

Glen Gielessen - He pulled out before 7 hours. I saw his folder on the table, but didn't check how far he got.

#34 goin the distance

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

hey i am just writing to say congrats to all who raced! i watched for the first couple of hours n am amazed with the ability of people to slow themselves down n really pace themselves! this was my 3rd year of helping out at this meet and was disappointed i couldnt watch the whole race but i had other commitments! so congrats to all who raced! n i dont know how yous hold yourselves back! i could never do that!
cheers....

#35 Barney

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hi all

Well my goal was not to DNF this year, having done so for the last 2 years...and I achieved this, despite my now regular time out whilst my nausea and dehydration subsided....note to oneself - must allow for 90min rest stop next time!

Although I wish I could complete a race like this without these feelings, I'm glad that this time, I was able to come back, and at least walk the last 75min...especially as it meant I got to see so many others finish so strongly.

My other goal was a much greater distance than 95km, but well not to be. This 12hr event is certainly a very humbling experience. Last year I ran the same distance in the Poor Man's Comrades in 8:40, so I had been hoping for greater things. Still learnt heaps, so I have taken many positives away from the race.

One of the big positives is the whole atmosphere and comradery that this event brings. A track race is so unique. One of the big pluses is that you constantly get to chat to people and see how they are going throughout the whole event...that never happens in point to point races. Constantly seeing others out there such as Run2work, Hermaphrodite, Horrie, Twopennys and some of the ultra legends like Bob Fickel, Paul Every and Jan (apologies to others I've fogotten) go through their own ups and downs and being able to chat to them and then see their successes and happy faces towards the end was something special. Especially inspiring to see Run2Work, Horrie and Twopennys achieve such amazing distances. I am still amazed how you guys did it. I bet you are feeling on top of the world..and you deserve that feeling.Well done!

For those who haven't done a track race, you should for the experience. It's flat, so it should be easier. However it's a constant slow pace so it's harder. It's round and round in cricles so mentally it's tough, but at the same time you can easily monitor your performance and always have someone to chase and talk to.

The support from other runners, lap scorers and suport crew is also really unique and really helps keep you going. Thus, to Omni, and Sportsman who gave so much of your time, I really thank you...I'm just sorry I couldn't deliver the final few hours. I look forward to returning the favour in the future.

Also, a big, big thank you to Diane who whilst suporting Paul, still found time to nurse me through my "enforced" rest. It's support like this, which makes the running community so fantastic!

One last big thankyou to Bob Fickel, who with Anni was kind enough to find room in their car to give me a lift up. Without their help I never would have made it to the start, and would never have had the opportunity to finally finish this race. One monkey off my back...

Can't wait to see you all again at another race...

Chris

#36 clairie

Boisterous Brissy Broad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

Congratulations to everyone who got to the start line - a major achievement in itself.

For anyone interested in ultras or for reading about them twopenny put an excellent report on his blog you can find it  HERE

A great read and very informative.

#37 John Dawlings

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

Many thanks for the update, Sportsman.

#38 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:51 PM

have the results come out yet?

#39 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

quote:

Originally posted by tim:
have the results come out yet?

No - but Sportsmans post on page 1 this thread has a fair bit of info about the leaders.

#40 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

I got some results off Frank Overton,but he only sent me the placegetters in each category.
Male Run
John Mergler       121.423
John Robins        111.803
Rodney Ladyman     107.072

Female Run
Viviene Kartsounis 115.133
Michelle Thompson  103.922
Carol Baird        101.267

Male Walk

Peter Bennett       97.880
Patrick Fisher      87.813
Robin Whyte         84.703

Female Walk

Val Chestertom      69.503
Sharon Cromyn       40.000

The rest will be available when posted out later in the week.

#41 Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

Bump, anyone seen any results yet?

I checked the AURA pages and nothing there...

#42 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

Still keenly waiting

#43 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

While we wait for the full results of the Central Coast Classic to appear on this website, I thought that possibly some of my fellow competitors might be interested in why I decided to have a bit of a gallop at the 75k distance, and then slowed to a slow, slow walk at the 81k mark.
My main objective in the event was to put a minimum of 100k into the 12 hours, but I also had a secondary target of 9 hours 15 min. for 50 miles. I had decided that if the 100k target started to look shakey, that I would at least nail the 50 mile distance in reasonable time, and that would help to justify my squeeze into Jetstar for the trip down. By 75k I wasn’t fully confidant that my slowing running rate was going to hold together for my plan A, the 100k target, so plan B was activated. I would run hard for 15 laps to 81k. I was surprised that I was able to get down to 5:35m/k pace, but I was only looking towards completing lap 201 (and a bit), so it didn’t seem so difficult during those dozen circuits, and it was fun to pass a few people.
It’s interesting how a temporary target can focus the mind and delude the body.
I passed the 50mile in 9:11:33, my body immediately reasserted control, and it’s command was absolute, “SoLucky, you will stop this bloody nonsense, right now”.
I really really wanted to rest and I looked around the track for some spot to lie down, I had travelled light from Townsville just for the overnight run, and I had no tent or sleeping bag with me. The grass was damp from a light rain shower, so I decided to keep walking, ever so slowly. Bob Fickel caught up with me, took my mind off my weariness for a while and eventually my body allowed me to start jogging again.
The 100k mark was reached just before 12 hours, so both targets were achieved on the night.
I guess it demonstrates that it’s an advantage to sometimes travel light, no crew, no tempting tent to crawl into.

#44 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

I should just make it clear that I haven't been sent any results, and I also update the UltraOz sites, hence there are none there yet. They will be posted within 12 hours of receiving them.

#45 Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:29 PM

Sorry Kevin,

My nudge was by no means aimed towards yourself, more so the organisers in the hope that they had finalised the results but just not got around to distributing them.

[rant on]I've also put in a chase on the results from the Central Coast Half which are still MIA it seems. Now I am aware (maybe more than most) of the reliance upon the few in getting stuff like this done, but organisers seem to let themselves down so badly right at the end of very successful events by not finishing the process. [rant off]

#46 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:18 AM

Central Coast Half results are here.

I have emailed the organisers of the Coastal Classic and am awaiting a reply.

#47 Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Horrie, I did have a bit of a dig around with no success, including the race website and the CR threads, looks like I'll have to dig deeper next time...............

#48 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:53 AM

ORunner, although 2005 got off to a shaky start results-wise we finished strongly in that pbig started uodating the CR results page (eyes left). He performs the role with gusto and any result that is even sniffed at finds its way there pretty quickly.

Thanks pbig.

#49 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Kevin, but I must say you've been beating me to the punch a lot recently, despite all your many commitments!

I did send an email to Paul Thomson asking for the results of this when they became available, and the request was forwarded to Frank Overton - that was on Jan 12th. A follow-up reminder has just been sent from Paul to Frank today (prompted by Horrie's query I would guess). Hopefully we will all hear something very soon.

cheers, pbig.

#50 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

Results are in  :)  . Click  here .