The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

Date: 1 and 2 January 2010
What: Katoomba to Mittagong

Ourimbah and I are planning to run Katoomba to Mittagong on the 1st and 2nd January 2010. We are going to do it as an over nighter, staying in a cabin at Yerranderrie on Friday night.

So the run is approx 65km per day.

Details are sketchy at this point but thats how we like it.

This is a good way to start the year and for Ourimbah to break his self imposed diet of 40km weeks.

If anyone else is keen please feel free otherwise I will have to put up with bad jokes about my height for 2 days.

There is another Fat Ass run on this day but this one will be better.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Argh, rules out the Bogongites....!

#3 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

Should be a good start for the year.

I don't think your short................. everyone else is tall.

#4 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Who is going to hand out the ice blocks at BTBS this year ?

#5 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

a few lines on our run.

Thanks to Terry for driving us up to Katoomba and then picking us up in Mittagong. I am constantly amazed by what runners will do to help each other out - this was a prime example.

We started of on Narrowneck and took it nice and easy on the way to Cox River. Both Ourimbah and I were carrying quite heavy packs, enough food for two days and a bit of gear. In fact I was carrying a frozen rump steak and pre-cooked rice for dinner. I told Ourimbah to do the same but he shows up with just 2 minute noodles. So I have to put up with him going on about how its 'our' steak for 60km. Finally I crack and say he can have the damn thing then he turns round and says 'I don't want it, I feel a bit heavy' as if he is a supermodel on a diet or something.

Going up mount cookem took our breath away because of the views and steepness. Then on to scotts main range and 40km of undulating fire trail. We fill up at the catholic bushwalker huts and roll along, finally coming in to yerranderie at 7pm on the dot (11hrs). What a beaut spot, all the old buildings and kangaroos everywhere. Ourimbah bludges a couple of bottles of homebrew from the caretaker (He reminds us 3 times not too break the bottles) but we are too tired and only share one. I eat my steak, Ourimbah eats his noodles and we are bed by 9.

Next day Ourimbah is up at some ridiculous hour taking photo's of me trying to sleep and going on about how I will thank him. We leave yerranderrie at 5:45 and head off down the road. After some 10km or so I notice we are going west, that can't be right. get out the maps and using my e-trex figure out we are completely off course (and just after climbing a large hill too). Oh well, turn around and head back probably 6km added on. Hit the fire trail going to Wollondilly river, we have to fill up with water there even though it is not really flowing that strongly. Belloon pass is next, you can just see it looming over you for miles, quite intimidating. A very steep, rocky scramble up. I am amazed by people doing that at night. The navigation there is quite tricky.

I had heard going down belloon pass was worse and it lived up to its reputation. We followed a creek bed down but I think we must have gone wrong somewhere because I only saw one of the markers that are apparently there. Also at one point we done a 180 degree turn without realising it - we were going west but were meant to be going east!
After about 3hrs of clambering down slippery rocks, geting tangled up in thorns, squeezing past jumbled tree trunks, unhooking snags, getting caught up in vines, getting covered in leaves, mud and dirt, we finaly covered the 3 kms to the bottom of belloon pass. There was a lot of swearing.

We got the overgrown fire trail along the nattai - and a couple of k's up hmmmm we are going west again! thats not right and sure enough we have gone wrong again! may 2km added.
Again we are heading up another big hill, maybe similar to kedumba. I have now decided if we can get hold of terry I am dropping at Wattle Ridge. We see a couple of snakes, including one that Ourimbah almost stands on. I laugh because Ourimbah is scared of snakes and I love seeing them.
Get to wattle ridge, call terry, he is in mittagong and thats me done. Ourimbah has other ideas, and incredibly heads off on his own to finish the run in mittaggong while terry and I go and drink beer and eat pizza and wait for him. Almost 3hrs later and Ourimbah arrives after having run down the hume highway in the dark and rain on his own. Well done mate, massive effort!

Thanks Ourimbah for the run and especially terry for helping us, we owe you one!

1st day took 11hrs for 65k, 2nd day I was 13hrs for 60k, I think Ourimbah was 16hrs for almost 90k.

#6 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Jan 3 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

I eat my steak, Ourimbah eats his noodles and we are in bed together by 9.
An awesome weekend. A shame I wasn't available.

Seems Ourimbah is over his rest month now.

PS I have corrected your entry above

#7 seris

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Good job boys. No idea you were doing this... must have had my mind on something else when this thread went up...
Sounds like fun....   I mean the beer and pizza without Ourimbah :good:

#8 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

View Postseris, on Jan 3 2010, 02:47 PM, said:

Good job boys. No idea you were doing this... must have had my mind on something else when this thread went up...
Sounds like fun....   I mean the beer and pizza without Ourimbah :good:

62.16km's that's all anybody needs to know in how many km's you need to run with Gareth until he breaks.It took me just over 10 hours to convince him to share OUR steak..

But what a great couple of days..It is a lot tougher than I thought,the first thing I notice was the wieght of our packs.The climbs up Mt Cookem and Belloon pass are pretty tough but not as bad as coming down Belloon pass.My impatience cost us a couple of hours taking us off course but the snakes we seen 4 sightings.One I nearly walked on another I was within 6" of and the other 2 I was as far away as possible. My little mate decided to stop when he done the hard stuff and left the last 25km of easy stuff for me to finish off.In total I think it was 65km's for the first day and 85km's for the second.

Can't thank Terry enough for waiting to bring us home,what else would he be wanting to do at 10pm at night.

Gareth.....Thanks mate,funny how the jokes weren't as funny on the second day..

#9 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

well done the both of you. and cheers to Terry for the support. aint fatass wonderfull? :good:

#10 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

Great report SM!  Just had a chance to read it.  One day I was to attach sound and video to you guys when you're out on a run and turn it into Australia's newest sitcom.  I'll make a fortune!  Even might get myself a logie.