#51 Beaver

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

View PostEverReadyBunny, on 10 June 2011 - 01:39 PM, said:

Have heard a central coast athlete who ran well in C2K may also grace us.

I don't think Darrel is running pmc.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostBeaver, on 10 June 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't think Darrel is running pmc.

Maybe Kim Cook,Carl Barker,Micheal Hull etc.

Sugar 25km's last year was far enough.I will carry drinks and meet you all at Pie in the Sky

#53 TrailTrash

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Just left the guys as they were running through Berowra.

Marie and Carl are going well out in front by about 2.5ks.

Horrie, Graham and ERB are all close together with Rivz, Pete and the dogs (who are not doing the whole distance).
Grant is a little further back, I last saw him sitting down tending to his feet. He is running in VFFs.

All making it look too easy.

#54 Rivz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Just finished a great mornings run with the PMC guys and girls..
Pete and I joined the chasing pack (Horrie, ERB and Wadeye) at Bobbin Head Road at 9am.  Marie and Carl were about 7 or 8 mins in front and making it look like your average 10k morning run. RawAussieAthlete and Graham Wye had gone AWOL. we found out later that they had taken the alternative route by missing the turn off the  Hwy at StLeonards.

At the Park Gates we were met by TrailTrash, and his very able helper Scarlett, offering support in the way of water, red frogs, gatorade, S&V chips etc.  They became a very regular (and very welcome) sight all the way to Berowra, spoiling us with ther treats and words of encouragement.  Somewhere in the Park we lost Wadeye and RAA also started to  drop back.  When we hit the hwy on the otherside of the park Mrs Pete dropped off the dogs and also came with offerings of gatorade and twisties....

So with the outside assitance of 2 very excited dogs (dont tell colin) Pete shot off and for a while we were a little concerned about the double-demerit points that are on offer this weekend.... luckily the dogs also cottoned on to the fact that people with car boots open and bottles in their hand usually means a drink and a pat.  Consequently they chose to forgoe the straight through aid station policy for a strategy that involved a little more pampering.

Somewhere along this stretch Mr Doke appeard also with gifts of jelly snakes and water.....do you see a patten forming here... I dont know where people get the idea that FatAss runs are unsupported.  From Bobbin Head Gates to Cowan I was provided with more aid than I have recieved in Races that I have paid over $200 to enter.  It was almost like the real Comrades with their aid tables every Km or so(dont tell colin I said that...).  It was somewhere around Berowra that Horrie decided we were all getting soft (..not really he was as greatful as we all were for all the  support we recieved) and started to up the pace and quickly put a sizable gap on us.

So from Berowra to Pie in the Sky it was down to the four of us, Graham and ERB doing the full monty and Pete and I as ring ins.  We got to Pie in tha Sky around 12:30 Which according to Mrs Rivz and Niamh who met us there, was 4 or 5 minutes after that other coolrunner (horrie) left.  ERB was on the road again shortly after, with just a quick pit stop and assured us she had plenty of food...3 muesli bars...to get all the way to Gosford.  Graham took a more leisurely approach with a pie and a drink but soon he too was on teh road again.  Just after he left RawAssieAthlete appeared seemingly feeling a lot better after hitting a low patch just after the park.  He too refueled, but for him it was from a very large bag of dates,  and soon set off on his journey north with the parting words "only a bit over a marathon to go now".

So a great day for me, hanging around with some legends, and around 32km in a little over 3:30.  Some of the best fun I have had off trail.  Good luck to all 7 of the hardy souls that set off this moring from the Opera House and I look forward to hearing that you all got to Gosford safe and well.

Cheers
Rivz

#55 Rivz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Text from ERB...

Carl - first not sure time
Marie - 9:55
Horrie - 10:58
ERB - 11:12

Not sure about the others...

Fantastic run everyone...cant wait to hear all the details

Cheers
Rivz

#56 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

Finished in 11:49. Slowest time in 5 finishes, still not a bad day. Thanks all for the great company along the way. Did one and a half bonus kms at Artarmon by talking too much and not concentrating, but otherwise a nice day out.

#57 Rivz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

Well done Graham, great run.  Any sign of RawAussieAthlete?

#58 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

I am happy that I had a very enjoyable Sydney to Gosford training run formerly known as Poor Man's Comrades not to be confused with South Africa's greatest event Comrades. I had an enjoyable run to Bobbin Head with ERB and Wadeye and were joined by Graham Wye and Raw Aussie Athlete after they became navigationally challenged. We left Wadeye at Bobbin Head and the rest of us, joined by Rivz and Pete head up the 3km climb out of the National Park. Trail trash was providing some welcome aid ably assisted by his daughter. As we hit Pacific Highway we left RAA behind and Pete was joined by his 2 dogs. ERB headed off in front when we stopped for some aid. I set off after and caught her when she stopped for some aid from Graham Doke. I grabbed something quickly and had reached the marathon point in 4:35. I was now in a good rhythym and kept running strongly and reached Pie in the Sky in about 5.5 hours where I grabbed something to eat and refilled my pack. I then rolled down the hill to Brooklyn and had soon reached 60km feeling good. Then came the first big climb to Mt White. I was happy to still be running the smaller climbs. I was happy th accept a refill of my pack from Graham Doke at Mt White. I was slowing but was stIll making good progress to Calga but really started to feel the pinch on the climb to Somersby where I saw B1 and B2. I was not very social at this point. Sorry guys. I then saw CB and his crew person were driving back after finishing in sub 9 hours. I was happy to finally reach the turnoff at Wisemans Ferry Rd and was not long later be heading down Debenham Rd into Gosford just as it was getting dark. I had to stop at this point and get my light out as there were quite a few cars heading up. Then onto Central Coast Highway and the mad rush to get to Gosford Station before 6pm for a sub 11 hour finish. Then it was off to get some fresh clothes just as ERB arrived. We were soon off to a restaurant for some much needed food. We then had the pleasure of being given a lift home from Graham and Marie. I can't thank you enough as I had visions of spending hours on buses getting home.

Thanks to everybody I ran with today for your company and to those who offered much needed aid. You will start to get us a reputation for getting soft. ;)

Edited by Horrie, 11 June 2011 - 11:20 PM.

#59 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Well done people yesterday. Cheers.

Edited by djbleakman, 12 June 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#60 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

View PostRivz, on 11 June 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

....RawAussieAthlete and Graham Wye had gone AWOL. we found out later that they had taken the alternative route by missing the turn off the  Hwy at StLeonards....

After running up hill from the Opera House to Crowsnest, the unexpected descent to St Leonards often leaves runners confused as to whether they are on the correct route.

Next year we finish at the Sydney Opera House; undoubtedly the grandest and most distinctive architectural achievement of the last century. Has to be better than finishing in some sports stadium.

Glad all the runners enjoyed themselves and finished in good time. No one wants to be around for any gun shots at Gosford Railway Station.

#61 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Official race training run start photos attached.
Yes, I got really warm just a few minutes later.

I finished safe and sound in 12 hours 51 min.

Race report to come :)

Attached Files

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 12 June 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#62 C B

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Great weather for the run yesterday - enjoyed sharing the navigation and run with Marie up to Berowra - Many thanks for all the support - Andrew and Gavin for giving their time/aid and encouragement - Graham - especially for the tray presented at Mt White with fresh strawberries - and Callum for showing as promised at Mt White to feed/encourage and calculate with the GPS on his phone a prefect run home to get under the 9 hr mark.The hills along the old highway were going great - with the wheels beginning to fall off a bit after the old bridge across Mooney Mooney - it was just over 20 years since I last did this section on the first couple of days into my jaunt to Darwin and the legs and knees,wearing my old clapped out Nike Free 7.0's felt it!
We were tucking into hot noodle boxes soon after the run and then drove back along the course to see Marie's finish - but didn't see them - before we reached Horrie.Returned and still didn't see them - so I hopped on a bus back to Sydney,
Congrats to all the other participants - and best wishes to Horrie for his Badwater run,
Regards Carl

Attached Files

#63 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Yes many thanks to our supporters esp Trailtrash and his lovely daughter Scarlett and Graham Doke who became roving crew and appeared all over the course with offers of lollies, chips, hot chips, strawberrys, mandarins, drinks and words of encouragement. Oh yes we were certainly doing it tough out there.

Also thanks to Rivs, Peter and his 2 dogs who joined us for a good 3rd of the course. They seemed to prefer the middle section ending up at a nice cafe. No idea why that would be. They kept the conversation rolling and the pace moving nicely.

And well done to all the hardly runners who showed up on the day. We may have been a small bunch but we made up for it with enthusiasm. I was lucky enough to run with Horrie and Wadaye until Bobbin Head and then Grant and Graham appeared after having made a small error earlier on.

Very pleased to hear that Grant and Graham made it. Any word from Wadaye. Last seen at Bobbin Head ? Perhaps he went back to find his shoes that were tied on to his bag and then ... were not. From Pie in the sky things got a little lonelier but I discovered that the hills were not as steep as anticipated and I could even run parts of them. A welcoming ? beep from one of the locals did startle me as I was crossing over a freeway right on darkness. I must confess I did have some horror movie scenes play out in my head at that moment. Luckily the local had no interest in a mad runner and kept driving on whilst on his mobile phone :)

I kept myself amused during the run by finding coinage and netted $4.80 probably enough for the train ride home. Was really excited to find both the gold coins after Pie in the sky when I expected I would see no more.

Gosford delivered everything I hoped for. Ie the opportunity to stop :) The sweetest thing. We had great weather until the last 15 minutes for me when it started pouring down. The usual slow pokes punishment.

Marie and Graham were lovely enough to wait out over an hour and gave Horrie and myself a lift back to Sydney after some sustenance. All in all a good day out.

#64 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostEverReadyBunny, on 14 June 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Any word from Wadaye. Last seen at Bobbin Head ? Perhaps he went back to find his shoes that were tied on to his bag and then ... were not.

No word from Wadaye. I last saw him at Bobbin Head.
Graham and I saw his shoes on the side of the road in Hill St before Roseville station.
We told him, so perhaps he did go back for them.

#65 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

For the official record books,
2011 Poor Mans full monty results:

1) Carl - sub 9 hours
2) Marie - 9:55
3) Horrie - 10:58
4) ERB - 11:12
5) Graham Wye - 11:49
6) RawAussieAthlete - 12:51
7) Wadaye - (MIA)

#66 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi Folks
I found that I was walking up the road to Mt Colah out of Bobbin Head and signed off with the wonderful support crew who were looking out for everybody. thanks so much for that.
An absolute pleasure to run with such elite athletes. Here's aiming to complete next year!
Dan

#67 geoffa

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Well done to allPosted Image. I keep  an occasional eye on your endeavours and still have the crazy idea of doing both Comrades and the PMC in the same year, I just have to win Lotto twice first. Maybe next year?

#68 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

Poor Man's Comrades 2012 thread can be found here:
         http://www.coolrunni...showtopic=34970