57 replies to this topic

#1 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hellgate Gorge Fat Ass page has details for the uninitiated.
Last year's topic for the Hellgate Gorge race is here.

Two options:
46km - Hellgate Original option (2,530m ascent/descent)
100km - Hellgate BOTW (Bouncing Off The Walls) option (4020m ascent/descent) (includes Hellgate Original and an out and back to Kanangra Walls)

Proposed Date: Sat 7th April, 2012 8am

Current runners:
- Windy
- Kaos
- Martin 'C2K' Dugdale (may start early)
- Buzz
- Raw Aussie Athlete (BOTW)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 buzzlightyear

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Current runners:
- Windy
- Kaos
- Buzz (BOTW) : early start

Edited by buzzlightyear, 22 December 2011 - 06:40 AM.

#3 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Three options:
46km - Hellgate Original option (2,530m ascent/descent)
100km - Hellgate BOTW (Bouncing Off The Walls) option (4020m  ascent/descent) (includes Hellgate Original and an out and back to  Kanangra Walls)
100km  Twelvegate Start and finish at the tree and include a loop of Hellgate :Drooling:

Current runners:
- Windy
- Kaos
- Buzz

#4 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

Wouldn't miss it for quids...best fatass run going. Might even wear the hokas for THAT downhill :)

#5 Thomas

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

Agreed. Love this run - I'll be there.

#6 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

This time for sure! Third time lucky I'm aiming at finishing the 100km.

Martin what's the twelvegate option?

I'm in fo rthe botw option intending on taking the follow the nose method through the latticework of trails heading south to Kanangra

#7 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'll likely be there, I usually camp at Deviation, will probably do that again.

Such a good run.

#8 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

Twelvegate:  start at the explorers tree, start of 6ft. run 6ft, continue from Jenolan to Hellgate. after climbing out of the gorge and back onto the black range rd, turn right and back to the start.
probable about 4200m change in elevation and maybe 110 K

#9 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Aww geez - I just came on to start up the thread and see I was beaten to the punch....

7th is the Easter weekend - is everyone cool with that? As Canberra is the 14th - I had originally been thinking of pushing back to the 21st which was more in sync with the original date - but if Easter it is, then Easter it is.

I'll update the fat ass page.

Edited by Twopennys, 02 January 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#10 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

So 2P , are you up for a run this year?

Edited by Martin Dugdale, 03 January 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#11 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostMartin Dugdale, on 02 January 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

So 2P , are you up for a run this year?

I'd love to Martin, but I'm still not completely over my bout of Reactive Arthritis - I've also got a chest infection at the moment, but once that gets a bit better I'm hoping to see if I can string some training together - but realistically it probably isn't going to happen.

Hehe but being me, I'm holding a glimmer of hope :)

#12 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Never ever give up. Third time lucky for BOTW

#13 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

No hellgate for me.  But I do want to see Wadaye et al complete the BOTW so sending my energy and enthusiasm your way.

#14 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 13 January 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

No hellgate for me.  But I do want to see Wadaye et al complete the BOTW so sending my energy and enthusiasm your way.

Thanks Traipuddin, just trying to emulate the messiah rawaussieathlete who I believe was the first to complete botw last year.

#15 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

It looks like trailpudding and I are going to give this one a crack this weekend. Starting friday night from Explorers Tree. If anyone is interested in running a bit with us feel free to do so. Also I know it's a long shot but if anyone is able to drop some water at Kanagra Walls that would be fantastic.

Wadaye, Grant. Any tips would be appreciated.

#16 Bert

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Bunny.
Great to see your back on the trails again. Have a great run with trailpuddin. See you somewhere soon.

Lotsahare & Bert.

#17 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Just in case people are wondering why we need a water drop at Kanangra when we are doing Hellgate (no I'm not letting Bunny navigate) its because we are doing 12-BOTW-Gate....or at least talking about doing.  There may be a bit of hitchiking going on out there me thinks.

K

#18 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Tis a new year so a new act of lunacy from trailpuddin
have fun and try not to get lost, will be thinking of you as I trot around woodford dam on Sunday :)

#19 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

got a text from trailpuddin at 5.30 , they are about to begin the descent to hellgate gorge

#20 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

12-BOTW-Gate. Done. Epic. We will write up some notes in coming days for others that may follow.

#21 Bert

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Congratulations ladies. Another epic adventure done with a minimum of fuss.Posted Image

Lotsahare & Bert.

#22 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

"You have got what it takes but it will take everything you have got"

This pretty much surmises our little adventure.

Originally plans were made to run Katoomba to Mittagong but with such a rainy season we were worried about crossing the Cox's river at night at an unknown location. We soon decided to err with caution and with just 4 days to go and Kirrily's mastermind 12gate & BOTW was born.

This would be totally unsupported. With my Monty Burns build I don't usually like to carry too much so the trick was to carry just enough but not too much. Many bushwalkers would be aware of this dichotomy. Kirrily usually takes the kitchen sink on all her runs so she would be fine.

Fri night 5.30 pm and we were away. Commenting on how dry Nellies Glen was we headed down. Happy to begin our journey. I may have commented on our packs been heavy a few times but Kirrily cracked me up saying that we would get used to them soon and wouldn't notice them at all. Fat chance of that I thought and fat chance it was.

At the bottom we saw a group of girls that had walked from Alum river. They asked if there was a camp site nearby and we suggested they do the final last km's and Nellies climb but they were adamant they would camp and were exhausted.

We crossed the swinging bridge just on dusk and that was a scary enough experience. We headed through the camping ground and started climbing. Soon after a car went past us from the camping ground and then stopped up ahead. It was now dark and it gave us the creeps a little bit just sitting there so I got out a headtorch. We went past with still no idea what they were doing and eventually left them behind. The only animals we saw between here and Jenolan Caves were Kangaroo's and possums.

Climbed Mini, climbed Pluvio. Kept going along black ranges. Not a lot of running happening. Went past deviation and before 2.30am we arrived at Jenolan Caves. The welcoming party was somewhat lacking but we found a tap and were filling up water before discovering the toilet block was open and warmer. The weather was pretty good but a bit cool when we stopped. I had carried a spare bladder strapped to my small backpack and filled this up as well at Jenolan Caves so I now had 4L on me.

We soon left Jenolan Caves and climbed the ridge behind. Kirrily was as strong as an ox and took off here while I was struggling. I soon stopped and took off my lightweight parker I had put on after we stopped. Looked up and couldn't see Kirrily at all before I saw her torchlight flashing from a higher point. Up here she yells. Stay on the ridge and I continue to climb. I thought Kirrily was at the top but it turns out we were nowhere near. Eventually we do reach the top and the cross trail we need. Unfortunately the cross trail continues to climb. Finally we get to the end of the trail and are spat out onto Kanangra Walls Road.

Kirrily gets excited and starts running but I am been a moody cow and don't want to run. I am tired and it's cold on the exposed trail and my backpack is heavier than it has ever been.

So we run/walk along here. I put my lightweight rainjacket back on again. I see a sign that says 20km to Kanangra Walls. Ok. 20km on a flat road. Shouldn't be too bad. We are both dimly aware of what is ahead of us and it is daunting. Finally after what seems like eons I see another sign. 15km to KW. No way! We have only covered 5km. Phew. It is going to be long, so we walk, run and stagger on. Kirrily consults her map while trying to tell me the road signs are rubbish. At some point the sun comes up but it isn't warm yet and then we arrive at Boyd campsite.

Kirrily goes in to get water but I go and sit right next to a camper. There is a fire lit and a perfect stump. Kirrily tries to call me to come and fill up my water but I check the bladder and I have one litre inside my pack and 2L strapped on the outside. I decide not to fill it up. The camper advises that the water is fine to drink but he also confesses to having drank from Coxs river. I don't think the campers quite knew what to make of us. Another girl gets up and asks if we are doing it for charity but no we have to confess it is just purely for madness.

Feeling a bit revived we head on but that is fairly short lived. The sun is now up and it seems in a blink of an eye the weather went from cold to hot. I can feel myself buring on the exposed dirt road but it is still early. I chat to Kirrily and at 2km before KW we should see the trail we head back on. I decide I will drop my pack here. My shoulders are sore and I am dying for a break from my pack but the trail isn't named and so we miss it and arrive at Kanangra Walls. Shocked to discover there is a perfectly good tank here. I carried 2L extra of water for nothing! We head out to the look out and look at the view. Both of us are feeling really tired and we have a short lie down on the viewing seats. It felt good to have the pack off and stretch out but I was also worried we would fall asleep.

We had to get going. We fussed with our packs, used the toilet facilities and then there was nothing for it, we had to go on. We found the trail out easily enough and soon were pleasantly surprised. It really was a gorgeous trail. We had 26km to head along this trail before rejoining the Hellgate course. Kirrily was off and running again but I was still struggling to run. The trail was great but had lots of sticks and I seemed to need perfect conditions in order to run. We crossed stream after stream of glorious clear running water and as it was quite warm soon we were scooping the clear water up over our heads as we crossed for a temporary relief from the heat. We went over Mt Thurat which had a swamp land on top of it. Amazing. Although daylight, weekend and glorious trails we didn't see a soul in this section. Just Kangaroos.

Kirrily was fading a bit through here, although struggling she was still travelling well and was still doing directions and compendis. Well we thought so. Until we got lost.  Suddenly we found ourselves on Kanangra Walls Rd. What the ! We stopped and consulted the map and all was not lost. Looks like we had missed a turn about 1km back. It was a sharp turn and easily missed. We headed on and got back on the course. Not too long after here we somehow again came out on Kanangra Walls Rd. This time though we had seen a turn and had a debate and we were not sure which was to go. Well that wasn't the right way. Again we probably only went 1km out of our way but it was demoralising.

Back on the Hellgate course. We had been looking forward to this for hours. Yet my internal HOORAY was probably no more than a whisper. I still hoped we could get to Hellgate in the light. Mind you I had forgotten how far down Hellgate was.

Soon after this Kirrily said she wasn't feeling well and pulled over and attempted to vomit with no success.  Then sat down for a while feeling totally demoralised. I sat down as well. Tried to think of something cheerful to say but we really were in the absolute middle of nowhere with eons left before civilisation. We got going again and crept down to Hellgate. Hellgate did my head in. Turn after turn and never getting any closer and then steeper slippery sections and on it went. My dream of getting there in the daylight was totally dashed. By now I was also worried. We had anticipated about 30 hours for the course, it was clear we were going to go over and I was concerned about having enough torchlight.

We crossed Hellgate gorge. After my brief heart attack when I thought it was up to our waists before I realised it was just the torch light playing tricks. It was only knee height. We refilled our bladders and started to climb. Kirrily found her motivation and took off just as I started to fall asleep. 2nd night without sleep and my body was starting to  scream. At one stage I saw 2 lights and thought they were walkers on another ridge but I looked again and they were the beady eyes of a possum. I tried to stay awake and keep climbing. Once when I was close enough to Kirrily I let her know I was falling asleep and might need a 5M reset. She suggested we do that at the top and I was fine with that. Only problem was the top wasn't coming. Finally when Kirrily yelled out she was at the top it jolted me from a dream where I was out walking but with another runner. Weird !

At the top we sat in the dark on the trail and had a 5 m rest. Everytime we had one of these rests I was concerned we would fall asleep for hours but luckily we never did. Strangely enough a few minutes like this seemed to help and we got up and soon started jogging down pluvio. I recall my brain still going into sleep cycles and I struggled to stay on task. I had no idea why we were running downhill but once started I seemed to be able to do it. Strangely enough although we had both cycled in and out of low points we were both able to jog here and we made the most of it.

At one stage we rounded a corner and saw a cute Echidna waddling off the trail. We arrived back at Cox's river campsite and refilled our water. We still seemed to be drinking a lot and going to the toilet a lot. Back across the swinging bridge which seemed no better in the dark and slogged it out back to Megalong Rd. Finally final section. It was still dark and we tried to put ourselves back together for the last section. We ran little bits here where we could. Although our running wasn't much faster than a walk. Walking I seemed to fall asleep more but running was upsetting Kirrily's stomach so we both did what we could. Light came. AGAIN.

Close to Nellies we saw a runner starting out looking fresh. I felt like we had arrived from another planet. In fact I don't think the runner really acknowledged us either. Nellies steps. Well we had done everything else thrown at us. Nothing to it but to get on with it and again Kirrily climbed strong and I followed and valiantly tried to stay awake. We arrived. 39.05 hours. Roughly 9 hours more than we anticipated which doesn't sound that much but it's another whole night on the trail without sleep. I had also eaten everything in my pack. I don't know if it was the nightstart but I was hungry for most of this run/walk.

Phew ! What a journey. As soon as we finished it started raining. Nice timing.

KIrrily there is no doubt about it. You have got what it takes. You are a total nutter and as strong as an Ox. Never underestimate yourself.

#23 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Congratulations and and a great write up. I know how hard i found the bare bones Hellgate Gorge last year so that is a great run. It sounded like a real adventure. I am looking forward to doing it again this year, but just the bare bones again!

#24 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I know I've got a big butt but a few less ox references thanks .  I'm glad to have met you Allibob you inspire me to do what I do.  How many other people get to run with their sporting heroes? Apart from hideous feet I haven't had a single sore muscle!! Crazy.  So what are we doing for our adventure next month?

#25 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

well done ladies, you have raised the bar and shown  the rest of us what can be done.Posted Image

#26 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thx for sharing your epic adventure!
I can relate to most of it Posted Image

I was curious whether you intentionally did the road to KW instead of the trail or did the trail spit you out onto the road? (it's happened to Wadaye and I in previous years. That trail sure likes to torment)
Although of course there are no rules with Fatass, the official BOTW is out and back on the trail.
Coming back from KW I know exactly the 2 places you took a left turn while you thought you had continued going straight.
Nickleass and I even put a branch across each side trail on the way to KW, so we wouldn't take a wrong turn on the way back, but coming back in the dark we ended up on KW Road anyway!
2011 is the only time I've managed to keep on course with the regular BOTW, but I'd like to finish it a lot faster than the epic 28 hours it took me last year for a mere 100km!!!

Well done on enduring the maiden voyage of the 12-BOTW-Gate!

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 05 March 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#27 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi RAA,

Heading out along KW road was a tactical choice prior to start.  We weren't sure of water along the out and back but knew we could fill up at Boyd Crossing.  Turns out there is also a water tank at KW.  Given we started at 5.30pm Fri it also meant we were doing the familiar sections during the night and were navigating the unknown sections (KW to Hellgate t/off) in daylight.  We did the run completely unsupported with no food or water drops prior.  The route we chose was to reduce risk on something no-one had attempted / completed before. No doubt now people know its possible they will do bigger and better than we did.

We went a little bit astray on the 2 right turns that are actually back over your right shoulder. First one we ran ahead a bit to confirm it was actually the correct turn - the road gave us our bearing. 2nd one we didn't see - it is very faint and again the road shoved us back on course.

The "official" BOTW also doesn't have 12-Gate attached ;) I'm sure Two Pennies will be happy to endorse our variation.

Kirrily

#28 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 05 March 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

The "official" BOTW also doesn't have 12-Gate attached Posted Image I'm sure Two Pennies will be happy to endorse our variation.
Nothing to endorse it was a Fatass run.
The two of you picked your own challenge and did very well at it as well.Posted Image

#29 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Very proud of you ladies finishing an epic. Does that make 7pm friday at explorers tree thee official  12  botw gate starting time?

#30 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Wow - I just caught up with this - well done indeed ladies.

Endorse it? I can't conceive it let alone endorse it!

And here I was hoping you might endorse Hellgate as a quaint little side option on a REAL run :)

I probably won't be fit enough for Hellgate this year - only finally managed to get off meds on 1 Feb and only just started some training a few days ago - just 15 to 20kgs to drop and I should be jake!

I am setting myself a goal though - something I cooked up years ago but have never gotten around to - I don't think it has been done yet? Not uber long - but it would be spectacular!

Stairway to Heaven n Hellgate!

Take off from Explorers Tree
Down Narrowneck
Yellow Pup
Kanangaroo Clearing
Strongleg
Cloudmaker
Kanangra Walls
BOTW route
Hellgate Gorge
Cox's
Up Nellies back to Tree

Well a man can dream can't he? :)

Edited by Twopennys, 13 March 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#31 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Looks like this run could regularly run into Sunday. Starting from explorers tree certainly saves a bit of wasted driving but it's not the best campground.

#32 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Have decided that I will have to skip this at this time as I want to focus on the Solitary marathon and maybe Hellgate is not the best prep.  will be plotting a solo fatass later in the year

#33 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Checking on expression of interest for this one.

Post my short jaunt with Paul Every yesterday, running another 100km Full monty somehow isn't that appealing so I am focusing on the 45km.

Will be drirving to Devation camp site (original start ) and I will be focusing on the sharp drop and the Pinchy up.

However if no one is keen, I will find some other interest routes and do a solo run.

#34 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Buzz I slotted Hellgate in as 'the' long run of the Unofficial Training course this week so there should be a number of us doing it, but our pace would probably drive you insane. Hoping Martyn Dawson will come along as he did it last year and I have map reading dyslexia.

#35 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostTwopennys, on 13 March 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Down Narrowneck
Yellow Pup
Kanangaroo Clearing
Strongleg
Cloudmaker
Kanangra Walls
BOTW route
Hellgate Gorge
Cox's
Up Nellies back to Tree

Well a man can dream can't he? Posted Image

Want a couple of chatty old bags to come with you?  We thought of this option while resting at KW.  Its got your name written all over it...The only bit I don't know is Strongleg and Cloudmaker but I'm determined to change that in 2012.

#36 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 02 April 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostTwopennys, on 13 March 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Down Narrowneck
Yellow Pup
Kanangaroo Clearing
Strongleg
Cloudmaker
Kanangra Walls
BOTW route
Hellgate Gorge
Cox's
Up Nellies back to Tree

Well a man can dream can't he? Posted Image

Want a couple of chatty old bags to come with you?  We thought of this option while resting at KW.  Its got your name written all over it...The only bit I don't know is Strongleg and Cloudmaker but I'm determined to change that in 2012.
well if thats going to happen then count me in cos I haven't been up cloudmaker or strongleg yet.
keep on dreaming 2P and lets make it happen

#37 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wadaye and I are doing the Hellgate BOTW on Saturday planning to leave at 5am after an overnight camp at the start.
I'd like to improve on my 26hr 15m from last year, and Wadaye would like to see the finish line with this being his 3rd attempt.

Perhaps some speedy Hellgate runners will pass us before we reach the trail to Kanangra...otherwise it's going to be a long, lonely and of course thoroughly enjoyable time in the mountains!

What times are others starting their Hellgate ordeal?

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 04 April 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#38 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

We'll be starting at the posted time of 8am, but doesn't seem likely we'll pass you. So far I've got

Kaos (me)
David Madden
Ben
Jeremy

and possible a few others who haven't committed yet.

Best of luck Grant and Wadeye at BOTW!

#39 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Kaos, Last year Wadaye and I planned for a 5am start but left closer to 7am after a late night so if history repeats we may see you after all :)
Have an awesome day in the Gorge guys!

#40 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I will be there for the 8am start (driving that morning) plus i am bringing one other. It is part of my training plan so don't intend killing myself too much. Last year i ran it in about 7.5 hours, but intend to do it a bit quicker this year as i will take a bit more fluid this time and i struggled on the long up back to six foot track last year too dyhydrated.

windy

#41 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Have a nice run windy and one other.
With this late summer weather it could be warm out there, so extra water is likely a smart idea.

Grant

#42 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 02 April 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I haven't been up Strongleg for about 15 years, but it used to be a fairly indistinct footpad that can get a little confusing up the top end. In those days you needed a bit of map to ground nav skill. Not sure about it these days, but with all the interest in K2K & 3 Peaks now, it probably is a more worn track. One thing for sure - it is a genuine 1000m+ climb. Kanangaroo Clearing is 150m ASL and Cloudmaker 1164m - not too many of those around in this neck of the woods!..... Though there are two close by.....

Pud, if I scheduled it in, I'll let you know.

I'm back in training, but not quite ready for Hellgate just yet - (can't yet run a full kilometer without stopping - but considering I was on just weaning off the zimmer frame this time last year I'm lovin it!)

I'm heading up to the Walls tomorrow for a solo pack walk up to Cloudmaker (Dex Creek) for a night under the stars.

Have fun everyone :)

Edited by Twopennys, 08 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#43 shakespeare007

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

This looks like a fun run! Have set my alarm, Maps and instructions look quite nice but navigation still looks a bit scary so i might try and tag along with people running the same pace.

#44 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

the more the merrier!

#45 shakespeare007

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

great company and great run, really enjoyed it. Thanks everyone who was there!

#46 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Driving out to Kanangra Walls I saw 2 people off to the right hand side of the road about 700m shy of Blood Filly Fire Trail sitting in directors chairs with a table set up - presume they were someones support crew? Didn't see any runners.

Off topic - as I headed off towards Mt Cloudmaker weighted down with more crap than I could comfortably carry, I was passed by none other than Jan the Hermanator Herman and his lovely wife Gabby out for a day walk to Mt Stormbreaker - what odds?

It was hot out there on Saturday and I thought of the runners often (mostly to take my mind off my own situation) - Dex Creek however was as cool and pristine as ever - good to know some things never change :)

Looking forward to Hellgate reports.

#47 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Was a great day for it. A cool start with a cool breeze, all the better for the run down to Jenolan Caves. There were quite a few people on the track, I think due to the long weekend.

I felt a bit under pressure as I was the only one that had done it before and I'm sorry I did not sound too confident in some places, but in the end we never took a wrong turn!

There were eight of us doing the original Hellgate route, all using it as TNF training and leaving at the 8am start. There was myself, Justin, Adam, Dave, Adrian, Leah, Ben and Jeremy. Not sure if there were any more runners, we never saw any, but they may have left earlier.

The first 10k is a great run, we passed quite a few hikers going in both directions. We got one of them to take a group photo at the look out just before Caves house. It is amazing what you do see when not racing to the finish line in SFT. Normally the bilnkers are on and just enduring the quad burn to the finish line. We stopped at Caves House and a few replenished their supplies as this was the final water top up point.

The track along the Jenolan river was a nice start to the next stage, never saw any platypus in the pools this time. I think they like peace and quiet and there were too many people about. The river was noce and low and this is the first time to get our feet wet with the two crossings, then straight up the ridge. There were a few grumbles about this and not without justification as it makes Iron Pot ridge seem like a pimple. Finally on the fire trail, I was a bit uncertain as I could not remember there being so much up hill along that fire train. A quick reference to the instructions and we decided we were on the right trial, especially when we could see the house(?) off to the left. When we got to the road, we had a quick toilet and gel stop, then finally got some running in up the road. Pity we had to eat so much dust from the 4WD's travelling on it.

Blood Filly Fire Trail was easy to spot and at least we were away from the little traffic there was on that road. The run down the first part is just heaven and we made good progress. This is when Adrian and Ben got ahead of us and we never saw them after that. It is a pretty straight forward from then on anyway. The turn into Moorara Boss Fire Trail is also easy to find. As we started to get a bit lower, it really started to heat up and that side of the gorge made me suck my water down a bit faster. I started out with four litres and this made me eager to get some weight out of my back pack, although I knew I need lots of water to get me back up the other side. I know some of the group were getting pretty low. The descent into the gorge was hot and steep. As soon as the river got a bit louder, i knew we were not far away. It was such a blessing when we finally got to the river as the feet were hot. We stopped to re group, drink and eat and get gravel out of shoes (all done sitting on a rock with feet in the water).

The grassy fire trail before the climb was over grown with weeds about 3m tall. All I remember last time were the wombat holes, no sign of them this time. Adam said he saw a snake at the side of the track, but it had gone by the time I went past. Now the real effort began. I think we made pretty good time up the track after my struggle last year. At least we were in shade on this side of the gorge. During one of the stops, Leah discovered a leech under her sock, it must have hitched a ride from the river, although it looked like it did not get much of a drink! I had forgotten that there was two gates, so when we got to the first one, I was surprised it had taken such a short time. There was quite a bit of uphill after that and we finally got to the second gate and i knew we had broken the back of the gorge. There was a 4WD at this gate with a kindly gentleman who sold us some chilled Coke, lemonade and water. A few of us were getting seriously low on fluid and it just shows Heaven is not too far from Hell(gate)!

It was now recognisably SFT with all the signage and everone knew we would make it OK. Jeremy and I felt pretty good and struck out on our own to at least finish with a run. I know I felt better on this part of Black Range Road than I did running the SFT last year!

Not sure how far Ben and Adrian were ahead of us as they were gone before we got back. All six of us finished within a 15 minute spread and happy to make the long drive home.

I really enjoyed the run, made better with the company, I really want to be back there next year. Not sure if everyone in the group feels that way, but the the pain of the nasty ascents and descents this run will dull and memories of this remote track will bring them back.

Windy

#48 BJB

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

A great day out, thanks to everyone there on the day and particularly those who organised, including Windy for convincing us that, yes, that very unappealing ridge after the cave was in-fact the correct way to go

After a very challenging final descent to Jenolan River in the full force of the sun I don't think I have ever looked as forward to such a climb as the one that beckoned, given the promise of some shade and a chance to re-fuel!

Adrian and I ended up finishing a touch under the 6.5hr mark at 6hr 25min to a well deserved cold drink

All in all a great training session leading into TNF, thanks again to Windy, Adam and Justin for all the TNF tips on the day and look forward to catching up again in May, if not before

Ben

#49 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

I don't have much to add to Windy's report, only to add my thanks to 2P and Brick for the excellent instructions. I seem to have a temporary blindness when it comes to looking at elevation charts, I simply couldn't believe that this run could be tougher than parts of TNF100 or Mt Solitary but I was wrong. It was brutal, ridiculous, fun and amazingly tough. As I said on FaceBook 'how often does someone say on a run 'don't look up!' because they don't want you to vomit when you see the hill' It happened several times that day.........

I took a 2l bladder and 2x 600ml water bottles. I gave 1 of my bottles to another runner who was low, but I had also purchased and drank a 600ml Powerade at Caves House. I feel that anyone considering this run who wants to be self sufficient should consider taking 4l of water especially if it's warm/ hot.

here's a photo of the runners
https://www.facebook...&type=1
hit me back if that doesn't work

here's the Garmin
http://connect.garmi...ivity/165764212

And thanks to Windy for showing us the way!

I can't confirm if I'll be there next year, there's still a small boy inside me crying and asking for his blanky.

cheers

Adam

#50 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostKaos, on 11 April 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

I don't have much to add to Windy's report, only to add my thanks to 2P and Brick for the excellent instructions. I seem to have a temporary blindness when it comes to looking at elevation charts, I simply couldn't believe that this run could be tougher than parts of TNF100 or Mt Solitary but I was wrong. It was brutal, ridiculous, fun and amazingly tough. As I said on FaceBook 'how often does someone say on a run 'don't look up!' because they don't want you to vomit when you see the hill' It happened several times that day.........

I took a 2l bladder and 2x 600ml water bottles. I gave 1 of my bottles to another runner who was low, but I had also purchased and drank a 600ml Powerade at Caves House. I feel that anyone considering this run who wants to be self sufficient should consider taking 4l of water especially if it's warm/ hot.

here's a photo of the runners
https://www.facebook...e=1&theater
hit me back if that doesn't work

here's the Garmin
http://connect.garmi...ivity/165764212

And thanks to Windy for showing us the way!

I can't confirm if I'll be there next year, there's still a small boy inside me crying and asking for his blanky.

cheers

Adam

Love it! The image just cracked me up. Great stories - keep them coming.