Photo - - - - -

Will 2018 be a good year?

Posted by Injured2010 , 01 January 2018 · 6,850 views

It has been a while since I have completed a blog entry, there are many reasons for this but I thought as a new year approaches it might be worth briefly reflecting on my time running.  Overall my running has been somewhat disappointing, and while at times I believed I was working well to achieve my goals my view now is a little different.

The main problem has been too little focus on S&C and spells of poor nutrition.  I have followed a cycle where when injured I focus on S&C but gradually as my fitness improved the S&C was reduced so I could fit more running in.  I am guessing I am not the only runner guilty of this!  When my nutrition has been good it has been down to consistency and the certainty of my location but when the consistency was broken either through change of location or injury I struggled to eat well.  However, I do recall one occasion when I ate well during injury and got back running lighter and stronger.

Will 2018 be a good year?
I don't know how 2018 will go but I do know I need to step up my game if I want to get the results I want.  This means S&C comes first, I need to lay the foundations for being able to complete the required mileage needed to get good results.  Nutrition needs to follow S&C so I recover quickly from sessions but also get the right nutrients into my body to give it a chance to hit peak performance.

Once I have S&C and nutrition in place I can start to think more seriously about running well, until then there is no point just running and running without real focus or a complete training package.

I think I am better prepared than any other year so there is no reason why 2018 won't be a good running year :-)

You are spot on...and it's especially so when one gets older. Running must be seen as a package, not just getting out the door and running.  I'm trying to incorporate dynamic stretching, foam roller, massage, and gym conditioning work into my running routine. It's not easy as there are only so many hours in a day. I suppose it means we just have to be more organised and make time count...not wasting time sitting on the sofa after work and watching the box. I actually watch VERY little TV...don't miss it...the time I save can be used more productively. My goals for 2018 are to get more racing fit. I recently raced a Master's 800m (55-59) in Taiwan (I live in H.K.) in 2:29, which was very average but what made it worst was when I viewed the video afterwards I looked like a robot because I was so stiff! Really need to work on form and staying flexible and loose. My aim is to crack 2:20 for the 800m. Cheers.

Injured2010
Jan 15 2018 04:07 AM
Just seen this fluff and ran out of likes so will have to come back and like your comments.  I have just ran a leg of a flat xc relay (3k) in 10:48 and dread to think what I would have looked like as I certainly wasn't running strong and relaxed.  Like you I need to work on form including consistency in training but having at least 6kg to shift that will make difference, as would 10kg without losing muscle!

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search My Blog

Achievements & Targets

Achievements

17:25.9 (5000m) - 05/05/2012
16:11 (5k) - 17/07/2013 & 20/07/2013
34:10 (10k) - 07/10/2012
56:28 (10m) - 18/11/2012
84:52 (HM) - 14/08/2011
194:46 (Full) - 09/10/2011