42junkie's Blog

Photo

Ronda Ghibellina, Italy

Posted by 42junkie , 21 March 2017 - - - - - - · 2,815 views
trail, ultra
Ronda Ghibellina 45 km, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
29 January 2017

I've done a lot of races but I still run up against the unexpected. When I checked into my hotel in Castiglion Fiorentino for this race I asked at the desk for directions to walk to the race expo, which was also the race start. The desk lady was so sure that I shouldn't walk to...

Photo

Ecomaratona Clivus, Italy

Posted by 42junkie , 21 March 2017 - - - - - - · 2,622 views
offroad, trail, ultra
Ecomaratona Clivus 44 km, Monteforte d'Alpone, Italy
22 January 2017

Well, I don't think I have ever underestimated a race so much. This was just meant to be a warm up for next week's ultra, and while I knew it was going to be hilly I was blithely unaware of what else was going to be in the mix. I didn't expect the Verona countryside to...

Photo

La Saintélyon, France

Posted by 42junkie , 21 March 2017 - - - - - - · 2,542 views

La Saintélyon, Lyon, France 3 December 2016

La Saintélyon is a long race at a strange time of day where you don't get to see much: 72 kilometres, starting just before midnight in Saint-Étienne and finishing in Lyon, and you'll only be running in daylight if you are on the slow side. I liked the sound of something a bit different, even though...

Photo

Yurrebilla Trail, Adelaide

Posted by 42junkie , 23 November 2016 - - - - - - · 4,476 views

I've wanted to do the Yurrebilla Trail Race in the Adelaide Hills for a long time but somehow I have never been able to make it to this event. So finally this year I realised that the only way I was going to get to do this thing would be if I went and ran it self-supported all on my own. I had a look at logistics and decided that it wouldn't be too...

Photo

McCall Trailrunning Classic

Posted by 42junkie , 18 July 2016 - - - - - - · 4,745 views

McCall Trailrunning Classic 40 Mile

Yesterday I did the most amazing trail race in Idaho, I think the best race I have ever done, for its mind blowing scenery and rugged trails. It was tough and it was beautiful. I had worried a lot beforehand about whether I was capable of completing it within the 14 hour cutoff and I had emailed the organiser to ask his...

Photo

10k at 10,000ft

Posted by 42junkie , 12 July 2016 - - - - - - · 4,427 views

Beartooth Run, USA
I had an interesting experience running a 10 k race at 10,000 feet elevation on the Beartooth Pass just across the Montana border in Wyoming on July 9. The road over the pass from Red Lodge, Montana to Cody, Wyoming is billed as the most beautiful drive in America. The race was a figure 8 taking in the east and west summits on either side...

Photo

Johannes Thermen-marathon

Posted by 42junkie , 20 February 2016 - - - - - - · 9,055 views

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to wing a half marathon, but I wanted to do something to round off my very long trip to Europe before heading home so I decided on the Johannesbad Thermen-marathon (half marathon) in Bad Fuessing, Bavaria on Valentine's Day. I'm not a fan of thermal baths so this was rather an odd choice of race, being based at...

Photo

Pisa half marathon

Posted by 42junkie , 21 December 2015 - - - - - - · 11,465 views

I ran the Pisa half marathon today. Yes, the half marathon. When the marathoners continued for the coast at the 12 kilometre mark I turned back towards Pisa. This was a big deal for me. I hadn't run a half marathon since 2007. I was a faster runner in those days but despite that I ran the same time today that I ran all those years ago, 1:52. Doesn't...

Photo

200th marathon

Posted by 42junkie , 08 December 2015 - * * * * * · 12,664 views

My 200th marathon, Malaga, Spain
I didn't have the easiest day at this marathon, but with it being my 200th I was very determined not to let what turned out to be a difficult race upset me. I knew it was only the heat and humidity that were causing problems. What did it matter if I didn't run my best. I owed it to myself to be sure I enjoyed the...

Photo

Marathon de La Rochelle, France

Posted by 42junkie , 01 December 2015 - - - - - - · 11,655 views

This marathon had been on my bucket list for a long time and I wondered if it could live up to expectations. I really liked it. Which is a bit strange because I ran on very tired legs, I found the track too crowded to be able to run properly and I was dodging and weaving for the entire race, and the weather was bad - windy and often rainy. Two things really...

October 2017

S M T W T F S
15161718 19 2021

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search My Blog