Men - Your Best 2km Time Trial Time Ages 18-40Carrying on from the K Hunt time trial thread

• You cannot reply to this topic
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you faster than KHunt (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Men only (teehee), tick the correct box for your best 2km time between the ages of 18 - 40

1. 8 mins+ a bit slower than AFL wannabe (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

2. 7.30-8.00 nearly as fast as a pro athlete (15 votes [21.13%])

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

3. 7.30-7.00 you should be paid $1 mill a year (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

4. 7.00-6.30 you are too fast for me (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

5. 6.30-6.00 you should be paid $2 mill a year (9 votes [12.68%])

Percentage of vote: 12.68%

6. Under 6.00 I hate you (18 votes [25.35%])

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Alrighty, I hope I have done this right. I will go first.

Are there you go 100%. I win Lebusq :Praying:

Edited by RHCP26, 07 June 2010 - 04:06 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

oh bugger you beat me to it.
i was going to suggest instead of a poll having a CR 2km race.
we could call it the khunt invitational.

#3 blair

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

What if we haven't done one? Can we just guess?

#4 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

View Postbalri, on Jun 7 2010, 04:50 PM, said:

What if we haven't done one? Can we just guess?
just add 20 seconds to tesso's time :Praying:

#5 Davo83

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Talk about perfect timing - There is a UQ Allcomers meet this sunday which has a 2000m at 3.25PM, plus a host of other events.
So if any Brizzy locals want to see if there faster then Karmichael, heres your chance for an accurate race.

http://www.qldathletics.org.au/

cheers

Dave

#6 Phoenix

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Sub 7.30 is probably not great for an elite, but still too fast for me.

#7 TigerRunCrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

For the record 5.42 is my best TT, but as i have indicated on the other thread i think criticism of Karmichael's 2km is ludicrous as i know i can't run 7.29 if i was carrying a 30kg backpack without any aerobic training. I'd be much more interested in reading how the AFL aficionados on this site think he would adapt to the changes required in awareness/decision making in AFL as opposed to his league/union background.

The reason why i'm getting frustrated is because i can empathise with his situation as i come from a speed background and understand how hard it is to run aerobically when all the training you have been doing is for pure speed and repeat efforts. When i was doing specific sprint and hockey training i would've struggled to run 2km let alone break 8min's. I could however, score over 19 on the beep test and sprint 4.75-40m and bench 4 reps at 150% of my weight. It all comes down to specific training. My aerobic fitness improved quickly after doing more distance work, i ran under 6min within 6 months of aerobic training.

I think Karmichael's run is a very good starting point. He'll be 5-10kg's lighter and 1min quicker over 2km within 12 months. In saying that i think it is almost irrelevant as a fitness test, the important running factors in AFL are 10-40m speed and agility and the ability to repeat those efforts. They will have much better specific AFL performance indicators to work off, the 2km would primarily be used as an indicator in setting training programs.

Only time will tell, but if he fails as an AFL player it won't be because of his physical ability. Although i suspect some critics still won't be happy if he is All Australian in his 3rd year, win a Brownlow in his 4th and a Norm Smith in his 5th.

#8 glenda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hear hear Easy Tiger...I am having this argument with some running buddies of mine up here and they are all being a bit precious about their running ability  in my book because they can beat K's time...the problem is some runners think that only distance runners are athletes. I won't put my 2km time here cos I'm way over 40 and a female...also I've never done a 2km time trial

#9 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

View Postglenda, on Jun 7 2010, 07:50 PM, said:

I won't put my 2km time here cos I'm way over 40 and a female...also I've never done a 2km time trial

And because it would put most of us to shame :Praying:

#10 TigerRunCrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Glenda, put down your 13-15km from SMH last year, that looked quite quick as you were running away from me. I wonder how many of the critics would successfully tackle Johnathan Brown, i suspect most would be cowering with their eyes shut and wishing they'd spent more time in the gym and less time running km's :Praying:

#11 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

I can't imagine many of us having 2k TT times.  I'm sure there is plenty of 3k times though.  Just take two thirds or a little less than that?

#12 Crazy Diamond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

View PostEasy Tiger, on Jun 7 2010, 07:22 PM, said:

The reason why i'm getting frustrated is because i can empathise with his situation as i come from a speed background and understand how hard it is to run aerobically when all the training you have been doing is for pure speed and repeat efforts. When i was doing specific sprint and hockey training i would've struggled to run 2km let alone break 8min's. I could however, score over 19 on the beep test and sprint 4.75-40m and bench 4 reps at 150% of my weight. It all comes down to specific training. My aerobic fitness improved quickly after doing more distance work, i ran under 6min within 6 months of aerobic training.

I think Karmichael's run is a very good starting point. He'll be 5-10kg's lighter and 1min quicker over 2km within 12 months. In saying that i think it is almost irrelevant as a fitness test, the important running factors in AFL are 10-40m speed and agility and the ability to repeat those efforts. They will have much better specific AFL performance indicators to work off, the 2km would primarily be used as an indicator in setting training programs.

Not a dig at anyone else, but the above is the most sense I've read on these boards - in any thread, not just the KHunt ones - in ages. KHunt's not a distance runner, a 2km timetrial probably isn't the best indicator of his fitness/suitability for AFL, and people should wait and see how he adapts to his new sport. Not many (any?) people have played three different professional sports at or near the highest level in the SAME 12 MONTH PERIOD. And yes, I know he hasn't played his AFL debut yet, but you know what I mean...

And for the record, I'd like to think I'd keep Tiger honest and dip under 6:00. But I wouldn't want to go near an AFL field. Or rugby. Or Rugby league. I'd be broken in half.

#13 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

What were the chances of this thread turning down the same road as the other one?  

With no 2k time, I used the McMillan Calculator to give me one based on my 10k PB.  6:55 for me.

#14 hotnsweaty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

24 years ago (age 18) i ran sub 6 when i was doing 2min 800s and just over 9mins for 3k.  i was 20kg less than what i am now, and could barely do 10 pushups, let alone bench press anywhere near my bodyweight.  Given my 1k repeat times and 3k efforts in training, I am probably close to 7 mins now assuming a proper rest (but at least now i can do 100 push ups!  :Praying: )

#15 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 7 2010, 09:16 PM, said:

What were the chances of this thread turning down the same road as the other one?
don't forget this is CR you are talking about.
i would say about 64%

View PostAndyP, on Jun 7 2010, 09:16 PM, said:

With no 2k time, I used the McMillan Calculator to give me one based on my 10k PB.  6:55 for me.
bloody hell andy you've had a few pb's lately.
another one i guess.
well done! :Praying:

Edited by undercover brother, 08 June 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#16 Tom31

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

For the record 5.42 is my best TT, but as i have indicated on the other thread i think criticism of Karmichael's 2km is ludicrous as i know i can't run 7.29 if i was carrying a 30kg backpack without any aerobic training.

If the Tiger can run 5:42 I'll put down 5:41.9.  In fact, I reckon 2km is our breakeven.  You and me mate.  $50.

Hunt will struggle to start with but if he's a true athlete he'll get there.  Most of the really talented kids could turn their hands to a number of sports, especially when the codes are fairly similar.

#17 TigerRunCrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Thanks tom, i think i'll need that, Gold Coast is starting to look expensive. How about we double that if the margin is greater than 3sec either way, to be run 2 weeks before NSW 3km?

#18 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Jun 8 2010, 04:23 PM, said:

bloody hell andy you've had a few pb's lately.
another one i guess.
well done! :Praying:
PBs are nice, but being faster than elite athletes like Hunt is what I strive for.

#19 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 8 2010, 07:21 PM, said:

PBs are nice, but being faster than elite athletes like Hunt is what I strive for.

Andy I reckon you would easily show that KHunt a clean pair of heels.

#20 coachrollie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 8 2010, 07:21 PM, said:

A serious runner (weekend warrior) not being able to beat an elite athlete of another sport, says less about the ability on the elite athlete than the runner's ability in his own sport.

#21 volc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

The reason why i'm getting frustrated is because i can empathise with his situation as i come from a speed background and understand how hard it is to run aerobically when all the training you have been doing is for pure speed and repeat efforts.

Agree completely. I'm 6'4, and 2 years ago I could go through the 2km mark in a 3km time trial in about 7:00 (and then I would fall apart and get to 3km in about 12:00).

Right now I doubt I could manage a 2km time trial in under 9:00. And right now I am 100kgs.

#22 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

View Postcoachrollie, on Jun 9 2010, 09:57 AM, said:

A serious runner (weekend warrior) not being able to beat an elite athlete of another sport, says less about the ability on the elite athlete than the runner's ability in his own sport.
How many people on this forum do you think you slapped with that statement?

#23 coachrollie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 9 2010, 10:14 AM, said:

How many people on this forum do you think you slapped with that statement?

Not many. Only the 'wannabes'. :Praying:

I would say that most people on this forum are not 'serious weekend warriors' (did you read that bit or just ignore it?) and know their limitations, do not compare themselves to footie players, are happy to jog along at city to surf or wherever, knowing that the activity they do several times a week contributes to their general health and well being.

On the other hand , their are some really serious dudes who get at kick out of saying to their non running mates," hey I am faster than xxx elite athlete, why are they so overpaid, the fat slobs they can't even run xkm in y min"

Or they go on forums and criticise and compare a footie player's 2km TT, not knowing the relevance that TT to his training program (I know, because I have been in charge of such programs)

And it really makes them feel good to do that.

So if you are one of those, as it appears, then you can count yourself amongst the slapped. :)

#24 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

View Postcoachrollie, on Jun 9 2010, 01:09 PM, said:

I would say that most people on this forum are not 'serious weekend warriors' (did you read that bit or just ignore it?)
I didn't miss it, but I couldn't find it in the dictionary, and could only guess at what your definition might be.

So if you are one of those, as it appears, then you can count yourself amongst the slapped. :Praying:
Thanks, but it appears that you are missing a sense of humour, because it was clearly a joke.

#25 Ralph Wiggum

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

View PostCrazy Diamond, on Jun 7 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

Not a dig at anyone else, but the above is the most sense I've read on these boards - in any thread, not just the KHunt ones - in ages. KHunt's not a distance runner, a 2km timetrial probably isn't the best indicator of his fitness/suitability for AFL, and people should wait and see how he adapts to his new sport. Not many (any?) people have played three different professional sports at or near the highest level in the SAME 12 MONTH PERIOD. And yes, I know he hasn't played his AFL debut yet, but you know what I mean...

And for the record, I'd like to think I'd keep Tiger honest and dip under 6:00. But I wouldn't want to go near an AFL field. Or rugby. Or Rugby league. I'd be broken in half.
Agreed 100%. If Hunt was recruited as a middle-distance runner then I too would sneer at his time, but the fact remains that was recruited to play football. Lagat can run 2km in 4:55 but put him on a football field and he'd promptly get knocked on his bum.

The phrase 'horses for courses' comes to mind but clearly not everyone can see that.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum, 09 June 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#26 Kandingo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

RHCP26

was having a chat with Karmichael and he is very happy to race you over 2km...
only 1 condition...

full contact  and tackling allowed.

Good luck

as for running 3.45 pace...a large number of CR's would love to do it.

** and why are you retired ??

#27 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

View PostRalph Wiggum, on Jun 9 2010, 01:31 PM, said:

Agreed 100%. If Hunt was recruited as a middle-distance runner then I too would sneer at his time, but the fact remains that was recruited to play football. Lagat can run 2km in 4:55 but put him on a football field and he'd promptly get knocked on his bum.

The phrase 'horses for courses' comes to mind but clearly not everyone can see that.
the phrase 'aussie rules players should be able to run' comes to my mind.
no use being able to bench press half the team if you're sitting on the side-lines cramping.
having said this i do wish him luck on the weekend if he indeed does make his VFL debut this saturday.
edit: according to the couriermail he is lining up at full forward.

Edited by undercover brother, 09 June 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#28 Ralph Wiggum

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Jun 8 2010, 10:18 PM, said:

no use being able to bench press half the team if you're sitting on the side-lines cramping.
having said this i do wish him luck on the weekend if he indeed does make his VFL debut this saturday.
edit: according to the couriermail he is lining up at full forward.
The same phrase comes to mind for all codes and it has been proven that he can run. I just don't understand runners boldly comparing themselves to him when he isn't a runner by trade. I gain no pride from the fact that myself and tons of CR's can run faster than almost any player in any code because it proves absolutely nothing other than that we train as runners and they don't.

#29 cakeboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Now put your best 2km time trial in after taking a hit like this from a man who is 7 feet and weighs 120kegs.....

#30 Tony123

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

View Postcakeboy, on Jun 10 2010, 03:55 PM, said:

Now put your best 2km time trial in after taking a hit like this from a man who is 7 feet and weighs 120kegs.....

Ouch - Thats gotta hurt

#31 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

well he got to Disneyland pretty quick

#32 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostKandingo, on Jun 9 2010, 02:20 PM, said:

RHCP26

was having a chat with Karmichael and he is very happy to race you over 2km...
only 1 condition...

full contact  and tackling allowed.

Good luck

as for running 3.45 pace...a large number of CR's would love to do it.

** and why are you retired ??

Karmichael would have to catch me first before he could tackle me. If he could catch me and tackle say within the first 400m, we would both eventually have to get up and keep running. So I would still give myself a chance ;) and yes I have played Rugby before and yes I know I prob haven't been hit by someone as good as him before, but I can tell you now that he would have to tackle me from side on or behind because I wouldn't run straight at him :rolleyes: . I remember what happened to Braith Anasta.

I have retired due to my dodgy back. I love the energy this thread has created!!!

#33 slowaz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

I'll go out and have a look at KH in action on Saturay. My son (20 y.o., sub 6 mins runner) is one of the field umpires appointed to the game.  I'll give KH ratings for pace, endurance, acceleration, tackling, marking, kicking, offensive and defensive play, footy smarts and any other relevant criteria I can think of.

It will not be easy for him initially, as this is the 2nd highest level comp and he will be playing against up and comers, kids a bit young/ immature to throw into the big time, old stagers , has-beens, and good players out of form. Also he will be playing in a fairly ordinary and inexperienced team made up mainly of GC's kids with potential and a few 2nd raters. My guess is he will show some impressive signs and natural ability but will lack match experience which he will quickly gain. I think eventually he will be a handy player.

Edited by slowaz, 10 June 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#34 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

View Postslowaz, on Jun 10 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

I'll go out and have a look at KH in action on Saturay. My son (20 y.o., sub 6 mins runner) is one of the field umpires appointed to the game.  I'll give KH ratings for pace, endurance, acceleration, tackling, marking, kicking, offensive and defensive play, footy smarts and any other relevant criteria I can think of.

It will not be easy for him initially, as this is the 2nd highest level comp and he will be playing against up and comers, kids a bit young/ immature to throw into the big time, old stagers , has-beens, and good players out of form. Also he will be playing in a fairly ordinary and inexperienced team made up mainly of GC's kids with potential and a few 2nd raters. My guess is he will show some impressive signs and natural ability but will lack match experience which he will quickly gain. I think eventually he will be a handy player.

Great idea Slowaz. But rate him with an unbiased judges view. There is nothing wrong with being realistic, not negative but realistic I say. A lot of people these days seem to want to peddle nothing but positive stuff. I am sure Karmichael wont be offended and probably enjoys the attention.

#35 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

And tell him that he has chewy on his boots.

#36 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Check out his website - http://www.karmichaelhunt.com/

#37 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

View PostRHCP26, on Jun 11 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

Check out his website - http://www.karmichaelhunt.com/

why the hell did i click the link for? thought it was a Lowes advert. what's the R on his tee mean?

#38 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

He hasn't listed any marathon or 10k times on that site for us to have a go at.

#39 TigerRunCrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

you can watch his debut from 1pm today

http://www.abc.net.a...amp;section=all

#40 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 12 2010, 07:25 AM, said:

He hasn't listed any marathon or 10k times on that site for us to have a go at.

Thank god for that as you know Andy I would be in deep trouble with them and would have to stick by the good old N/A.

#41 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

2 goals for special K  k. Hunt 2 goals

#42 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

They were from the same piece of play though. And he got cramp.  I guess he overdid it trying to prove RHCP wrong.

#43 slowaz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

OMG it was average (and bloody cold out there). Much as I would like him to succeed, KH was very ordinaire and has a long, long way to go to even be an acceptable 2nd tier player.

Yes the 2 goals were  from the same piece of play - the first one was a good effort, running forward to receive a pass, and the second a free kick for being put down after he kicked the goal.

Other than that he did next to nothing and did not look like he was prepared to assert himself. Defensively he was very ordinary, constantly losing his man who ran off him. He did not show any acceleration and basically just plodded around.  He failed to provide a "target" of any sort in the forward line and was all at sea in terms of positioning when the ball was coming down or in the forward line. Whilst he was credited with 4 tackles, they were just little holds rather than crunching tackles.

That said the whole GC17 team is pretty ordinary - basically kids and they will need about 15 "Gary Abletts" to be competitive next year as  I can see only a small % of their list (they are mostly kids of 18), being up to standard next season. Far from being unbeatable as the Melb papers said during the week, I think, sadly, GC might be an embarrassment for 3 or 4 years till the kids mature and gel and they get a game plan based around some competent players.

I'd also wonder about Bluey Mckenna's future as coach of GC17. He had a lot of the kids in the TAC Cup last year where they were moderate at best and now this year (adding their few hasbeens and their priority 17 year olds plus their Qlders and NT'ers), where they have not really come on that much. They don't seem to have much of a game plan and the coach was hardly inspiring in his speech or tactics at 3/4 time (although vociferous!). Likewise in the TAC Cup final last year which I watched. I think it would take a miracle for them to get near a quality AFL side next year whoever is playing.  

Anyway the jury's out on KH's ability to make the grade and his start was a 2.5/10. However, I would still love to see him do well. As a Victorian it seems to me Rugby League is just about in its death throes as a relevant mass appeal sport, and the promotion of Aussie Rules into the GC and GWS cannot be but a good thing.

#44 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

View Postslowaz, on Jun 12 2010, 11:02 PM, said:

As a Victorian it seems to me Rugby League is just about in its death throes as a relevant mass appeal sport, and the promotion of Aussie Rules into the GC and GWS cannot be but a good thing.

Haha typical  one eyed Vic/AFL comments, come on this is what was said after Super League and has been said before. Honestly Rugby League will not die out as it is a much loved sport here in Oz and in NZ and the UK. Sure u guys get crowds to games but keep dreaming if you think League supporters will give up their game.

On K Hunt, yeah it was ordinary but exactly what everyone expected. He is lucky he has got 12 months to mold that short burst strong, smash it up polynesian body into a thin whippet like AFL prototype.

I thoughts these comments were the best "I wanted to play as long as I could but my body just wouldn't go with me. I normally cramp when I was playing league and rugby union but obviously there's a lot more running in AFL and towards the end of that third quarter I just locked up and couldn't do much more so I was no use to the team out there."

#45 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

RL has only mass appeal in Qld & NSW. it will always be strong there. Slowaz comments are somewhat right. nrl super league expanded to WA, SA (adelaide Rams & Perth Reds) failed. i'm irked that melbourne get test matches & state of origin games. they don't deserve or earned them. the corporate $$$ down there would be the only reason they get these matches. on the other side of the coin, the brissie lions matches up here in Qld rate poorly. sound of music repeats would beat it in ratings. watching highlight of Hunts games he looked slow & needs to keep away from the buffet table.

#46 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

[quote name='redbackrun' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:58 AM' post='576894']
RL has only mass appeal in Qld & NSW. it will always be strong there. Slowaz comments are somewhat right. [s]nrl[/s] super league expanded to WA, SA (adelaide Rams & Perth Reds) failed.

Yeah true RBR I agree that RL may never crack that market because the people living in these areas are not 'really' open to new sports in their city outside of AFL/cricket as a majority.

This is why it makes me very happy that I was brought up in Brisbane where it seems that we have a mix of all of these sports. Being a sports fan in Brissie is great due to the fact you can watch and follow all of the major codes AFL (Lions, GC), League (Broncs, Titans), and Union (Reds) anf Soccer (Roar). We are just lazy getting our asses to the game.

#47 coachrollie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

View PostAndyP, on Jun 12 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

And he got cramp.

Perhaps he should be listening to this forum.

Would have been sorted with the endless advice on salt tablets, cramp stop, compression socks and possibly playing barefeet.

#48 Unknown12

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

when i played footy it was always the best players that cramped because they worked so hard

#49 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Jun 9 2010, 03:18 PM, said:

View PostRHCP26, on Jun 13 2010, 12:49 AM, said:

I thoughts these comments were the best "I wanted to play as long as I could but my body just wouldn't go with me. I normally cramp when I was playing league and rugby union but obviously there's a lot more running in AFL and towards the end of that third quarter I just locked up and couldn't do much more so I was no use to the team out there."

:rolleyes:

View Postslowaz, on Jun 12 2010, 11:02 PM, said:

OMG it was average (and bloody cold out there). Much as I would like him to succeed, KH was very ordinaire and has a long, long way to go to even be an acceptable 2nd tier player. ....
Anyway the jury's out on KH's ability to make the grade and his start was a 2.5/10. However, I would still love to see him do well. As a Victorian it seems to me Rugby League is just about in its death throes as a relevant mass appeal sport, and the promotion of Aussie Rules into the GC and GWS cannot be but a good thing.

one of the sydney papers gave him a 6/10 based on his 1st game i think.
the australian was just a tad more scathing.
a lot of the comments highlighted the key difference here between the K supporters and K baggers.
us baggers saying he is not match fit now.
the supporters saying but he will be.
i guess 1 has been proven to be true so far.
i guess in the end the club hired him at this point in time post his french union stint thinking he would be something like this.
so when does the 2011 AFL pre-season comp start? february?

funniest comment in a newspaper i read all weekend.
from the australian commenting on the 'demise of NRL' (in reference to the johns saga)...
nearly as many people went to see hunt debut for the gold coast in the VFL on saturday as watched the re-match of last year's league finalists in round 13.
you can tell i'm an ex-victorian can't you ;)

Edited by undercover brother, 14 June 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#50 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Mckenna (GC coach) on the beneifts of having Hunt around:

"His life is tackling, so it's no different to us asking Matthew Lloyd or Matthew Richardson to come up here to teach goal kicking," McKenna said.

"He does that (tackling) on auto pilot and one of his skills is in the gym lifting weights.

"He's going to take their tackling to another level and they can learn off him when he does weights."

Pure gold, keep it coming Bluey :rolleyes: