Gold Coast Airport Marathon 2017Held on the beautiful Gold Coast, Australia's premier marathon, half marathon, 10km & 5.7km is on the 1st/2nd of July

• You cannot reply to this topic
163 replies to this topic

#1 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

Entries are open today for my favourite marathon which will be held on the weekend of the 1st & 2nd of July 2017.

Planning to make my 3rd visit, and as always hoping to improve on last years time.

If you are looking for an event to run (full half etc), can't speak highly enough of the event. The GC embraces the event with heaps of media coverage and a ton of crowd support from the locals and tourists, and a massive army of volunteers.  

I'll be bringing along some more friends to experience the Good Times.

www.goldcoastmarathon.com.au

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 dadagain

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Thinking of passing on the full 42 this year and seeing if may be its time for me to target a really fast 21.1.

The cooler temperatures of the early start and avoiding that final 10km of suffering whilst still getting to experience the festival atmosphere sounds like a great deal to me :)

#3 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:26 PM

I'll be there.  Sub 3 hrs is the aim this year.  After missing it by a minute and a half i'm pulling out all the stops.  See you there.

#4 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm coming back to the Gold Coast to run the marathon in 2017. Hopefully more akin to my run there in 2015 than the marathon I ran in 2016!

#5 LiamNoir

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

I'm considering making the trip, the timing might be just right for a little vacation and for me to crack sub-3. I'll probably be a late entry. I'm confident it will live up to the flatness and atmosphere expectations!

#6 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostLiamNoir, on 12 December 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

I'm considering making the trip, the timing might be just right for a little vacation and for me to crack sub-3. I'll probably be a late entry. I'm confident it will live up to the flatness and atmosphere expectations!

Flat as a tac! The camber of the road can be a little tricky, always good to prepare with that in mind.

Atmosphere is great! Heaps of supporters along all points of the course and the closing stretch I call the magic mile (more like a km) with the supporter tents roaring you home to hit the finishers chute/grandstand. Simply an awesome finish.

Edited by Keno, 13 December 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#7 Milanos

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm doing it! It will be my first attempt at half marathon distance. Looking to finish under 2hr 20mins.

#8 RunnaLittle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

For those who have done this before and willing to offer up some advice for a half-marathon virgin...

How long would my recovery take post run?
Will it impact my enjoyment of a holiday afterwards? E.g. Will kids hate me because we can't go to Movieworld the next day?
Should I plan the holiday before or after the run?
How much will a flight from Melbourne impact my body?

Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

#9 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi RunnaLittle.  The recovery time depends upon the amount of training you put in and the level of effort on the day.  After my first half I would have been fine for movie world.  I know one of my friends was pretty tentative about walking for a week after.  He didn't train enough and went all out in spite of that.  If in doubt i'd schedule a few light days after the half.  Plus you'd have the benefit of acclimatising to the warmer weather ahead of time (although the half is fairly early so i don't know if that will be an issue).

I don't know about the impact of a flight on the body for a race.  I've only ever done a normal training run the day after a flight and there was no issue with that.

Hope all goes well for you on the day.

#10 BayRunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

I am looking at doing this half marathon for the first time on the Gold Coast can anyone tell me what the course is like ?

#11 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

The half marathon is run before the full.  It goes towards the north (the second half of the full marathon course).  It's pretty flat, but there is a bit of camber to the road, so try to run closer to the middle of the road.  It's usually not too hot for the half.  The temps that everyone complains about in this thread relate to later in the day during the full marathon.  There's a friendly atmosphere and plenty of people to cheer you on.  the drink stations are well manned and the pacers do a good job.

Hope that helps BayRunner.  Have a good run, fingers crossed for a PB.

#12 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Heading up again to pace people to milestones, pacing the 10km on Saturday, possibly 50 minutes, did 60 last year, and then pacing the 90 minute heroes in the Half Marathon on the Sunday :)  Come along for the ride :)

#13 BayRunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Whats the transport like getting to the start line ?? Are there local buses

#14 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostBayRunner, on 15 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Whats the transport like getting to the start line ?? Are there local buses

Where do you intend staying?

#15 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

There's usually shuttle buses in addition to the normal ones.  You can also use the light rail.  It all depends where you stay.  Normally the gold coast marathon web page has details when the day gets closer.

#16 toolittletoolate

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostRunnaLittle, on 09 January 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

For those who have done this before and willing to offer up some advice for a half-marathon virgin...

How long would my recovery take post run?
Will it impact my enjoyment of a holiday afterwards? E.g. Will kids hate me because we can't go to Movieworld the next day?
Should I plan the holiday before or after the run?
How much will a flight from Melbourne impact my body?

Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Unless you pick up an injury during the race then you should be fine to walk around a theme park the next day.  Your legs may be sore but nothing so bad you cant walk.  With regards the flight impacting you, I flew up a few days prior to the run last year and didn't really notice any ill effects from the flight.  I made sure I stayed well hydrated for the few days before the race and did a couple of short practice runs at the same time as the race start to get acclimatised.  The only consideration when coming from Melbourne to do Gold Coast is the change in temperature.  The later part of the race can get warm which effects some runners worse than others.  it is usually worse for the marathon as they are on the course longer.  The half starts early do although it gets warmer by the end it isn't usually that bad.

#17 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've caught the light rail (tram) as we stay in Surfers Paradise.

It's free for participants and they run every 5-10 mins all day. It's pretty easy.

#18 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Also a tip for the first timers to the event who are going to run the half/full.

They hold the short course races (5.7km, 10km and Kids Runs) on Saturday morning. It's a great opportunity to get some of the atmosphere at the race prescient, familiarise yourself, and of course cheer on some runners!

My son and wife have been running the 5.7km, while I run with my daughter for the 2km kids dash. Brilliant way to build up to Sunday.

#19 RunningSurfer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Trigger has been pulled - I am officially signed up to run my first race (of any distance)! 42.2km isn't too far is it? :Tounge:

This should give me a bit more of a focus and drive with the training!

#20 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostRunningSurfer, on 23 January 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I am officially signed up to run my first race (of any distance)! 42.2km isn't too far is it? :Tounge:
Always good to start small like this!

#21 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Less than 8 and a half parkruns... How hard could it be?

#22 RunningSurfer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 23 January 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Less than 8 and a half parkruns... How hard could it be?

Well I did 8 tonight at 5:30 per km and figured it was just 5 of those.....back to back...and a quick 2.2 to finish! Easy!

View Postdadagain, on 23 January 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostRunningSurfer, on 23 January 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I am officially signed up to run my first race (of any distance)! 42.2km isn't too far is it? :Tounge:
Always good to start small like this!

Well I had eyed off the Wild Earth High 50km Trail race.....but its in September. No - I want to test myself across the 42.2 first, then decide whats next.

#23 Quinkin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

I've missed 3 years. Due to injuries. Really miss it, I have some great memories up there on the Gold Coast.

#24 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

Sorry to hear Quinkin.

How soon before you're back up and running!

(for the record - this will be my 9th Gold Coast - 2003 - 05 - 10 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 -16 -17)

#25 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:36 AM

Quinkin

I am also sad to hear you have not run it for 3 years. One of my favourite events. Its big and very congested at around the start area with so many people and runners but the atmosphere is buzzing with excitement and expectation. Melbourne has bigger numbers but does not have exactly the same feel.

Number 18 for me this year. Very fond memories of the sub 3 in 2007 with perhaps one my most precious photos.

Attached File  gold Coast Finish.jpg   207.28K   10 downloads

Edited by Eagle, 28 February 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#26 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I'm planning to be there, first ever marathon distance race. Looking forward to the event, I've heard so many good stories about it.

#27 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostInvergowrie, on 01 March 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm planning to be there, first ever marathon distance race. Looking forward to the event, I've heard so many good stories about it.

For me it's the grand final of running in Australia (if there was such a thing). I hope you have a memorable run.

#28 nannarunning

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

Plan to be on the marathon start line. Got hold of a copy of 20 week intermediate plan from a few years ago that a friend had archived. Never done speed work before despite 12 years of running but following plan so have done it religiously to date. The weekly mileage is low as I run comfortable at over 6 min k's. My 5k PB is 23:33. 10K 49 mins. Marathon in Melbourne 2010 was 4 hrs 23. I was thinking maybe 4 hrs 10min for this one but really not sure how to estimate what is possible. I will be 59 when I do marathon. I do lots of cross training on days off. bike, swim and yoga.  Anyone have any thoughts on what might be possible without trashing myself. lol

#29 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Too early to set a goal finishing time. Train hard but wisely then about 6 weeks out if you can ran a hard half marathon and then 3 weeks out a hard 10k (both with small taper) then do some calculations. You should then have a very accurate range of a finishing time. If the 10k time shows a quicker time than than the half you might be under done for endurance but there is not much you can do about that but alter the balance between speed work and the longer runs. But as I said at that stage of the preparation there is not much you can do but be aware of your position.

Best wishes.  Wonderful experience to finish a marathon but perhaps not during the last 12k or immediately after.

#30 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

I agree with Eagle.  It is too early for an accurate target time.  Mine changed by about 20mins last year between January 1st and race day last year.  If your training plan calls for marathon pace runs do a 10k or half marathon time trial and use an online calculator to guesstimate potential marathon pace.  The one I use is on the http://www.runningfo...lc/racepaces/rp site.

#31 nannarunning

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for feedback Eagle and Headlamprunner. I need to remember it is still early days for training and I hopefully will get fitter with more endurance as the weeks pass. The program has a half and 10k. I am struggling to find a half to do although did think of doing Shri chimony if we can et to Melbs for the weekend. Will post times and ask advice closer to race.
No marathon paced long runs which are time based.

#32 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

View Postnannarunning, on 05 March 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Plan to be on the marathon start line. Got hold of a copy of 20 week intermediate plan from a few years ago that a friend had archived. Never done speed work before despite 12 years of running but following plan so have done it religiously to date. The weekly mileage is low as I run comfortable at over 6 min k's. My 5k PB is 23:33. 10K 49 mins. Marathon in Melbourne 2010 was 4 hrs 23. I was thinking maybe 4 hrs 10min for this one but really not sure how to estimate what is possible. I will be 59 when I do marathon. I do lots of cross training on days off. bike, swim and yoga.  Anyone have any thoughts on what might be possible without trashing myself. lol

Assuming that your listed PB's are recent and you can log up some serious long run miles (or time on feet) between now and race and, of course, stay injury free, 4 hours (maybe even better) is very possible. Be brave and set your intended MP @ 5.40 and build a plan on that basis.

#33 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

How is everyone's training going? I've been enjoying the late summer in Melbourne, but running in the early morning before it gets too hot.

Who has some races planned in the build up?

#34 nannarunning

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hi Keno. My training on track. 2hour run in the morning. going to the GC Monday week so 2 weeks of running up there.

#35 Nomore4s

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Have entered the GC marathon for my first crack at a marathon. Really looking forward to it.

Training been going well so far considering I had 3 months off after a serious facial injury suffered while playing football that required surgery and effected my eating for a good 6-8 weeks.

First goal is to finish and second is to break 4 hours. And if everything goes really well I might even be a chance to get close to 3:30 but on only 3 sessions a week and maxing out at 55-60km a week that might be pushing it.

#36 BayRunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

All Signed up now plus flights and accommodationis booked just need the training now

Edited by BayRunner, 27 March 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#37 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

The family have decided on a holiday to the GC this year.  I managed to squeeze the marathon weekend into our dates, fancy that!!?  Now I am wondering do I commit to the marathon or just the half?  I'll be running the Canberra marathon in 2 weeks so the training won't be a problem, but what worries me is the heat.  Coming from Canberra I will be training through winter so it's going to be a shock.  Any advice or suggestions?

#38 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

If you run the half, you won't be affected by the heat. The race is over before it gets too warm.

#39 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

If you are running around a 4 hour marathon it's probably going to be hot for a Canberran.  Last year I was dumping a cup of water over my head at every drink stop from about 45 mins in.  If you do end up doing the full you'll want to do some training in the heat of the day.  The half should be much cooler.

#40 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

Having run ~4hrs on GC twice I can tell you for the first 3 hours it'll be fantastic.

However, once you emerge from the shade of the buildings and head north past the race precinct it gets real tough real quick.

Any training you can do where your long runs finish in full sunshine and >22-25C will help - but also look at the forecast on the day and if it's going to be a hot one, slow it down before it's too late.

Drink stops are evenly spaced - but I've found myself absolutely parched hanging out for moisture in the last 7km, so perhaps a little (and I mean little) preemptive hydration earlier in the race might make sense?

#41 RunningSurfer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Long runs at 22-25C? I am dreaming of those temps at the moment! Been about a 25-30C average so far ;)

#42 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

I ran just over 3 hrs last year and i think the heat was there from the 30k mark... So from 2 hrs in.  I think the Heat starts when you get out of the shadows of the buildings, it's not necessarily the time.  2016 i was much slower and it seemed much hotter.

I didn't feel dry last year, but I attribute that to taking two cups at each stop, I took a sip or two from one and all the rest of the water went over my head and back.  They also had a run thru sprinkler late in the race which was pleasant, but not long enough.

I've always found preemptive hydration means you'll need a pit stop.  Be careful not to overhydrate it can make you feel flat and make your stomach slosh around.

A running hat makes a bit of a difference too (just try to keep it wet) because it keeps your face in the shade.

#43 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

All great advice, thanks everyone!  I think I have to give it a shot - you never know unless you try hey!!?  I think I will carry a small drink bottle which I can top up at the drink stations - I did that for the Six Foot mara and it worked well - at least then I can drink as I need to.  However, finding a day of running in 22+ degrees in a Canberra winter will be all but impossible!

Happy training everyone!

#44 Eddiepc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

I've run the last 3 and I don't think it's been much over 18c at the hottest. I'd say Melbourne is generally warmer towards the end.

Headlamp runner is correct about the shadows though. I think because the first third (?) is generally in shadow you get used to the cool then as the sun comes up over the buildings you notice it more when you're in the full sun. Once I've cooled off I'm pulling out a jacket but not after Melbourne.

#45 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Just booked the hotel.  The website told me that it was a busy week (who'd have thought) and suggested I book a week later. Hmmmmm no.
If you're going and haven't booked your accommodation yet you'd better get onto it.
See you there.

#46 Keno

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

I've just pulled the pin on my GC adventure, I'm battling calf issues and having lost the last 6 weeks I'm not confident of getting the kms up in time. Disappointed as I love the event, I'll have to set my sites on a return in 2018.

#47 UnfitnessFanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

I've signed up to pace the 3:00 marathon group.  Anyone who is going to be jumping on this bus let me know.  Keen to help a few people reach this milestone.

#48 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Good on you UnfittnessFanatic.  I'm planning on my first sub-3 (my plan is 2:55).  At least three of my friends are also planning sub 3 times.   See you at Gold Coast (hopefully I stay in front of you).

#49 UnfitnessFanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 23 April 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Good on you UnfittnessFanatic.  I'm planning on my first sub-3 (my plan is 2:55).  At least three of my friends are also planning sub 3 times.   See you at Gold Coast (hopefully I stay in front of you).

Come say gday at the start line and I'll keep you updated with the pacing strategy.  This is the first time I have paced the full, have previously paced 1.24 half about 3 times but I know from the emails Pat bounces around that he asks the marathon guys to bank some time early while the Temps are down (because we all know how hot it can get at GC).  So we might be a bit ahead of time through 21k.  Again  ill keep you updated so you don't get concerned of confused as to what the pacers are running to.

#50 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostUnfitnessFanatic, on 23 April 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

I've signed up to pace the 3:00 marathon group.  Anyone who is going to be jumping on this bus let me know.  Keen to help a few people reach this milestone.

Thanks for pacing, planning to get on the bus and stick there throughout. This will be my first marathon distance race, and as I've never experienced the training before  it's a bit difficult to gauge whether I'm on target for sub-3:00 but that's what I'm working towards. Look forward to meeting you.