• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 velonomad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hi all - first post.

Ran my first half marathon at the GC this weekend with 3 weeks training. (I cycle a lot and run maybe 1-2 x a week for 5-8km so had ok fitness, but definitely not endurance fitness.)

I ran a 1:31:37 with breakfast too close to the start, so want to crack 85min in the 2018 GC 1/2.  On reflection I probably could have nudged sub 90 had I pushed a fraction harder at about 13-14km.

I live in Northern NSW and it's super hilly, so leg strength isn't an issue, given I also cycle.

I think it's endurance and leg speed I am missing. When I was super fit about 6-7 years ago (lived in Melb, 400-500km a week on bike, 15-35k a week running) I could just nudge a 15 min 5km without concentrating on it so I think leg speed might not be a huge issue.

Before posting, I checked other posts for sub 80 and it seems the best approach is to go long at least once a week (i.e. 90 or 120 mins) to make 21 feel short, and then mix in some interval reps @ 3'30 - 3'45.

Sound about right?

Is all of that conducive to also working out at the gym one day per week and swimming one day per week?

FWIW: I'm a cyclist, but am loving running. Less overhead than the bike. Another bloody thing to do training for.

Sorry if I've overstepped any forum rules.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Welcome!
No forum rules broken* but a few people would be in awe/jealous of your achievements on little mileage.
The 3rd component of distance running is the tempo run variously described as the pace you can hold for 60min/40min/10k.
Tends to be a run 6-10k. Given the times you list, you prob have heard all this.
Swimming is great for recovery.
An easy 15min 5k is fantastic potential (and achievement).

*You're possibly "not allowed" to run a sub 85 off 2-3 runs p/wk also!

#3 velonomad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Awesome - thanks!

So 40min/10k tempo/threshold ie at 4min/km - that's pretty speedy in my area (hilly), or something a little more civil/gentlemanly? (Similar to bike Sweet Spot Threshold sounds like.)

Have joined Ballina park run too to dial up leg speed over 5km.

(The 15min/5K was by no means easy!!)

It's going to be a long year.

Mrs Me probably rolling eyes already! :)

#4 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

You could make the parkrun your tempo by the time you warm up and down.
Otherwise review pace on the hills, look at 80% MHR/ perceived effort.
Monitor HR on waking and effects on other sessions to see if overdoing.

#5 Zedzded

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

View Postvelonomad, on 04 July 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I think it's endurance and leg speed I am missing. When I was super fit about 6-7 years ago (lived in Melb, 400-500km a week on bike, 15-35k a week running) I could just nudge a 15 min 5km without concentrating on it so I think leg speed might not be a huge issue.

15min /5km is close to elite level. The guys that I know that are running those times are state reps and are running in excess of 120 - 140km /week. If you can manage 15min running as little as 15km a week then you should take your running more seriously. The Olympics beckon...

#6 dantan

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Wow; I wish I could run anywhere near the OP's times!

I run 3 times per week and average about 40kms per week.

My weekly long run is usually 2 hours long (really slow pace - about 18km-20km).

My PB this year is 1:55:59, so I am extremely envious of you!

#7 Tiddischer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

400 - 500 km cycling each week is at least 12 - 15 hours, so about two hours a day. Of course you can - and need to - spend more time on bike due to less impact force compared to running. But with an additional running volume of up to 35 k each week you end up tat total endurance training volume comparable to the 150+ k/week of solely running you normally need for elite level. So nothing wrong with the 15 min 5 km but far from impressive with this amount of training!