Ratty & Co have done a great job getting this free event/s up & running.
I might be able to turn up for the shorter run.
Horrendously Hilly Half Marathon
Date: Sunday 6th November 2011
Location: Western Sydney Parklands Sugarloaf Ridge and the M7 Cycleway.
Time: 8:30 am
Distances: 21.1km and 10km.
Access to the Start/Finish area can be achieved from Walgrove Rd, then Saxony Rd, then Border Rd. A location map is here.
Here is the facebook page link. Invite anyone you want. The more the merrier.
The plan is to have a couple of drink stations along the route.
Prizes will be on offer, but breaking from tradition, the prizes will not only go to the podium places, but to ordinary folk who may finish middle of the pack or back of the pack.
The Horrendously Hilly Half Marathon Course consists a a few hills. 7 in total. In most cases you get to go down them before you have to go back up them. The worst hill is the final hill but its only 700m and 6.8% Grade.
95% of the course is on the M7 cycleway between the Equestrian centre and Hoxton Park Rd, consisting of smooth bitumen hot mix and small sections of concrete. The other 5% of the course is on a course chip road.
The 10 km route follows the same route as the HHHM but the turn around point is at the top of the hill at Cecil Hills. The course will be clearly marked.
The Elevation profile.
The tables and chairs.
We can relax here looking out at the view as we recover.
The view from the top.
The view of the surrounding district all the way to the city from the Ridge is wonderfully peaceful and a perfect place for families and friends to relax and have a bbq lunch or morning tea.
Beautiful one day, perfect the next. A real gem of Western Sydney
Another gem of the West. Running water available.
A large bbq will be bought along so a communal cook-up can happen.
All rubbish must be removed at the end of the day.
The course is not closed, most of it is on the bike path and therefore courtesy to all other users is required.
No littering on course.
FATASS EVENT, MEANING FREE, NOT 100% ACCURATE, JUST ROCK UP AND RUN