Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Are there any takers for 12 Foot this year, Saturday 9 August 2014? I'd prefer not to do it alone.

#53 milov

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 24 hours

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hi Graham,

I was planning a slow slow 12ft… Kidney stones have put a dent in my training schedule. But if I can regain some fitness by August I would still like to have a crack at it.

milov

#54 Kristen5577

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm also keen to do it, however I won't be fast either. What time do people normally start?

#55 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Usually it is a 7am start but it might be better to start earlier if you're planning on going slowly, so you can get across the river on the way back before it gets dark.

#56 greenpointgeckos

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Unfortunateley was injured last year.
Keen to give this ago this year .

#57 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

im a maybe dependent on injury

#58 greenpointgeckos

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Thinking of starting about 0630hrs
Next Sat, what time is everyone else starting?

#59 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

6:30 sounds fine to me.

#60 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

Sorry guys. I'd love to join you but I'm currently in Denmark and won't be back in Australia until late October.
I'm keeping fit and definitely have C2K on my radar but not sure what else is on given GNW100s has moved to Sep :(
Have an amazing time out there! I'm envious!

#61 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

I'm out, I've come down with a flu. Hopefully I'll be well enough to do it the following week.

#62 Dash

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Did anyone end up running the 12 Foot track this year? Would love to hear how it went. Sounds like there would have been a few starters but no results or reports! Thanks.

#63 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

I sure miss 12ft! :)
I'm back in Australia now after being overseas for all but 7 days of the last 10 months.
I could be fairly easily talked into doing 12 foot any time between now and Xmas if anyone wants to drive.
I'm on the Central Coast and could get a train to Sydney or wherever you'd like to meet!

#64 Dash

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

How come the 12ft track isn't as popular as it used to be? In the last 10 years both the 6ft track and Ultra Running has become more popular and yet the 12ft track has dropped off in numbers. Some of the race reports I've read on this event have been the best I've read. I hope it picks up and I hope to be there next year. Injured at the moment so can't run it before Xmas sorry RarAussieAthlete.

#65 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

Going for 12 Foot Track in sub 12 hours and as close to 11 hours as possible tomorrow ... 6 Foot Track and 12 Foot Track speedsters, any tips please ??

Here's my previous run from June 2014 ... https://connect.garm...ivity/545152699

Current PB is 12:33 and I'd love to go sub 12 hours but the magic number seems to be sub 11 hours on this course. Spud aka Phil Murphy has done 10:47 on this course and I'd love to get close to that one day. A finish in daylight would be epic but Nellies Glen is always a killer !

#66 iangallagher16

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

Epic. If it was me and I wanted to go sub 12 then I think the sensible thing to do would be to take the first half really easy. Don't go lactic. Look to do first half in say 5.30 and then push hard for home once back at the top of pluvi with roughly 26km left. Good luck!

#67 Dash

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

How did you go Jo? I checked your Garmin profile and it's showing a very strange result for Saturday's run. Kind of like you started in a weird spot and flew half of it in a helicopter!

#68 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

I did exactly that Ian ... first half in 5:27, quick refill of water and Tailwind, ate a Cliff Bar on the climb out of Jenolan Caves and then did the second half in just under 6 hours ... Here's the video https://www.youtube....h?v=UJxAo5LuBdU

Hey Dash, it took me three attempts, I had a few chafing issues the first 2 times so had to call it a day. The second time I forgot to stop my garmin when I got back in the car hence the odd splits.

Here's my new PB 11:42 :-

https://connect.garm...ivity/816098070

https://www.strava.c...ities/333866963

Gawd Nellies Glen is such a killer at the end of this !

Edited by joeward739, 28 June 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#69 milov

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

Well done Joe. Must have been a bit chilli out there before sunrise and after sunset. You must be in good shape for GNW.

milov

#70 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

View Postmilov, on 28 June 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

Well done Joe. Must have been a bit chilli out there before sunrise and after sunset. You must be in good shape for GNW.

milov

Heya Milov feeling good thanks bro, a bit of cycling each week is helping. Hope you're training is going well mate. Are you GNW'ing this year ?

#71 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

I know I shouldn't ask this because I feel like I'm asking for trouble and potentially setting myself up for a tough day on the trails BUT ... what's 12BOTWGATE ?? Could someone please explain.

#72 milov

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

12ft + hellgate gorge + Kanangra walls. Probably about 140km. To the best of my knowledge it has never been done. Sounds right up your alley.

Edited by milov, 28 June 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#73 Dash

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Excellent running Joe. Well done. Glad you got there in the end. That's the beautiful thing about a Fat ass event on your own. If you're not feeling it on the day you can always try again. Wonder if there will be a few runners out there this year on the C2S weekend.

#74 iangallagher16

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Boom! Well done Joe. Nicely paced

#75 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

View Postmilov, on 28 June 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

12ft + hellgate gorge + Kanangra walls. Probably about 140km. To the best of my knowledge it has never been done. Sounds right up your alley.

ha ha I wish I hadn't asked now !! :-D ... so what does BOTW stand for ?? ... Bridge over Troubled Waters ?? ... Blog of the Week ??

Thanks Milov

View Postiangallagher16, on 01 July 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

Boom! Well done Joe. Nicely paced

Thanks Ian, appreciate the encouragement. I get a little faster every year which means by the time I'm 110 years old I'll almost be able to keep up with you !

#76 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

BOTW stands for Bouncing Off The Walls...because mid-way through the Hellgate loop you do an out-and-back to Kanangra Walls (thus "Bouncing Off The (Kanangra) Walls").

#77 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

12BOTWGATE sounds epic! Imagine being the first......

#78 Nickelass

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

FYI.  12BOTWGATE has already been done by EverReadyBunny and TrailPudding.

Any takers for 12Foot tomorrow?

#79 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostNickelass, on 07 August 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

FYI.  12BOTWGATE has already been done by EverReadyBunny and TrailPudding.

Of course it has. These two have conquered so many of these local trails, been there done that !

Maybe I could get them to do it again some time ?? EverReadyBunny ? TrailPudding ? How about June 2016 ?? :-D

#80 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:41 PM

im not injured  and in fine fettle for GNW  next week  so maybe after C2K
Will see

#81 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'm super keen for 12BOTWGATE!
I'll be in Australia from Nov 2015 to March 2016 and would LOVE to get out on those horrid trails again! :D

There's a navigation decision/option to make for 12BOTWGATE.
ERB and TP came back along the road from Kanangra Walls which makes a nice loop.
The original BOTW course by 2P was out and back on the trails from Moorara Boss to Kanangra Walls and the return trip I found to be one of the most difficult to navigate sections having to take one or two super sharp right hand turns that are simple to miss if you're not watching like a boss.
Missing those sharp turns caused Nickelass and I to DNF on our first attempt of BOTW after the trails unexpectedly spat us out onto the sealed road.

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 04 September 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#82 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

12 Foot Track 2017 - Sat 12th Aug 2017

Stayed in a quaint cottage near Little Hartley just outside Blackheath with Mrs and the bub on Friday night to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. The cottage had an awesome hot tub so we got there early for a soak on Friday avo. Veggie Stir Fry with noodles in the hot tub, bubbles cranked to Max, HEAVEN!!!

Friday evening was quiet but fun. Fizzy drinks, pizza and scrabble. I won the scrabble with a couple of triple word scores including "ZITS" with the Z on a triple letter!!

Friday night, bub didn't sleep a wink and we had a bat in our bedroom so very little sleep but when the alarm went at 4am I felt ok. Quick wash and change then drive to Explorers Tree. Started at 5:07am at Explorers Tree with my head torch and a bright moon. It was fresh but not freezing.

As the sun came up the kangaroos started to pop out of the grass. Are there more kangaroos than there were a few years back? It seems like they have multiplied! A few of them jumped out onto the trail and gave me a fright in the early dawn.

Hit 10km in 60 minute and then Coxs River in about an hour and 25 minutes. Sun came up just before I crossed Bowtells. Hate that bridge. Always feels like it's held together by sticky tape and bluetac. Will they ever build a more stable bridge?

15kms down, through the campsite, gave a nod and a "morning!" to a kind looking bearded camper brewing his morning tea and hit the first couple of climbs. Lots of utes crossing the streams lugging dirt bikes. The drivers were polite but the air pollution wasn't pleasant. I inhaled a lot of fumes running past a line of 4 or 5 trucks.

At 20 ish kms I was starting the climb up to the top of pluvi. Bit of marching with some jogging in between trying not to be lazy. I focussed on lifting my knees using my hip flexors which seems to help improve stride length. Before long 28kms arrived and I was jogging along the Black Range. 10km to go then 7kms, across the road, downhill over the sharp rocks. I'm wearing North Face Ultratrail TR II so not a lot of protection but managed to hit Jenolan Caves in 4:54 which is a PB for 6 Foot for me. Must be the vegetables :-)

Didn't hang around to refuel because I figured I would use the water at Black Range Campsite. Some walkers chased me back up the climb from Jenolan Caves. They had muscly legs but much heavier backpacks.

Up to the top, crossed the road again 7kms out from Jenolan Caves, reminding myself not to miss the sharp left turn. I've come a cropper there a few times, heading straight downhill off the 6 Foot Track and cursing my ability to get lost on straight forward trails.

One thing, among many, that's great about the six foot track is the fact that there are distance markers every 5km. These are really useful for keeping you honest and breaking down the distance into 5km chunks.

10k from Jenolan Caves is the Black Range campsite. I restocked my hydration pack with some water and Tailwind and popped a couple of Panadol Extra. BUZZING!!! I don't drink coffee so the combination of pain relief and caffeine in the Panadol Extra sent me flying down the trail.

The Black Range hills are definitely much easier on the way back so I was ready for some consistent running for a few kms. Then pluvi downhill for over 5kms.

25kms to go and I still had around 2.5 hours to play with before I hit 10 hours of running. I knew if I could get to Coxs River at 15kms with at least 1.5 hours then I would have a chance of getting near 10 hours.

Back across the bridge and then managed to keep my legs moving on the other side. I was happy to get a few sub 7 minute kms before I hit the 10km to go sign. Fell over a few rocks and narrowly avoided knocking my teeth out. FOCUS!

10kms became 5kms and my legs were getting tired. I told myself at the 5km sign, 2.5kms more of running then it's all marching uphill. I could at least switch from running to walking at Nellies Glen. Nobody runs Nellies! (apart from a select few)

Nellies uphill slog was tough. Stopped to refill my soft flasks at one of the streams. This cost me a couple of minutes but the break was worth it.

Hit Explorers Tree at 3:33pm. Total time 10:28

Massive improvement from the first time I ran this in 2012. It's amazing the difference that 5 years of training makes!!

The target for the next couple of years will be to run a sub 10 hours. It's doable I think but I'll need some more hill work and some stronger Panadol :-)

Strava stats - https://www.strava.c...ties/1129187884

Kangaroo video - https://www.facebook...03952149669232/

Food - 3 and a half Clif bars (1 every 2/3 hours) plus around 16 scoops of unflavoured Tailwind
Extras - 2 Panadol extra at around 55kms at Black Range Campsite

Edited by joeward739, 13 August 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#83 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

Congratulations Joe! Thanks for sharing your adventure! Big improvements! I look forward to when we next race together!

#84 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Grant, hopefully see you on a start line soon mate! :-)

#85 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

Joe - that's a great solo effort. I am very impressed and frankly a little envious. well done.

#86 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Joe - wonderful effort; great to read that someone is still doing the 12FT.

#87 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Jogger and David C for the encouragement.

David C is that David Criniti?? Mate you're a legend!!!

Jogger, have we been introduced? Thanks for the kind words.

#88 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

View Postjoeward739, on 04 September 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Thanks Jogger and David C for the encouragement.

David C is that David Criniti?? Mate you're a legend!!!

Jogger, have we been introduced? Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Joeward,

I only wish that I was the legend Dave Criniti ... it is just that we share the same unique first name and first letter of our surname.

My surname is Cannings and even more bizarre is that there is another David Cannings who is a running legend, having run over 100 road marathons.  I am surrounded by greatness but am only a legend in my own mind.

Your efforts on the 12FT were legendary.

Cheers,
David

#89 joeward739

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words David. Hope to bump into you soon.