A bit later than usual basically because there isn't anything new confirmed yet, but as I am going to give out a little info at a running club "Six Foot Program Launch", it may be appropriate to give a 'heads up' about a few things.
Qualification period is now 15 months, i.e. from Dec 2010 onwards for all. This was announced just after the 2011 race and it is important that everyone qualifies at the earliest opportunity.
If you already have a qualifying time then any other qualifying time before our waves are adjusted can be submitted in order to improve your wave allocation. It will be better if everyone in waves are there on current performance, unless they are definitely going to run and stay with a slower partner.
Unconfirmed, but likely:
- Entries will open at 9am on Thursday 1st December for 'Guarranteed Entrants " only, and kept open until 9pm Friday 2nd December. Entries for other sections - 'Other veterans' and 'Novices' will be concurrently opened at 9am Saturday 3rd December on 'first in first served' basis.
- Once the latter two categories are filled, a number (to be determined) of waitlisted entrants will be taken in each category and allocations from waitlist to confirmed will be made automatically by the system- as an entrant withdraws, the first on waitlist will be offered a spot, and if no acceptance in 24hrs will be removed from waitlist and spot offered to next in line.
- The 'early wave' will be done away with. All runners irrespective of age will be assigned to a wave based on their performance ability. Note that early wave runners still had only 7hrs to complete course, so they will not be disadvantaged.
- The start of first wave will be moved forward to as early as logistically possible. At this stage that will most likely be 7am (previous early wave start). Wave stagger times and sizes will be as before.
- Parking at Jenolan Caves is limited, and the amount of cars impedes on finish area logistics. This year a number of cars were turned back at the car parks because there was no space- an unfortunate experience for those who had to travel approximately 200km. It is intended to limit the amount of cars that travel to JC to spectate, and this may be done by issuing parking permits.
All for now. There will obviously be some negative reaction to some of the above. However please note that the changes are necessary for logistics, the continuing safe management of the race, and for a possible bigger announcement that may be made shortly.
Happy training and good luck with qualification.