5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

So I recently got my first Garmin watch and I've started playing round with courses and GPX files. For my weekend runs and whatnot I've been doing a run once and then exporting the GPX from Strava which so far is working alright.

But I'm wondering if there's a repository somewhere of already made GPX files. In particular I'm looking for things like the Blackmores half marathon course coming up next month as well as any other races I might decide to do in the future. Doing the Hounslow Classic in October and they have a GPX of the course on their website, but no such luck with Blackmores.

I've found sites that will convert google maps directions to GPX but came unstuck with that fairly quickly with the weird loop over the bridge onto Cahill expressway - google doesnt think foot traffic should go that way *shrugs*

So yeah, what are the options? What does everyone else do here?

Thanks

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Corsa

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

You can plot courses on Garmin Connect and without traffic flow issue (eg one way streets, no right turn etc) and save the GPX. Why not search Strava for courses as ran by others unless the course has changed from last year

#3 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Of course, I should have guessed Garmin would have a good tool for creating GPX files. Will have a play with that this evening when I get some time.
Just had a very quick look and last years course does appear to be quite similar to this years. Might be able to get away with taking one from Strava from last year.

Thanks

#4 bobbys

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Chrus,

This is the link to last year's run from my Map My Run page. This should help a little.

http://www.mapmyrun....view/1742544941

#5 Berlin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

View Postbobbys, on 31 August 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

Chrus,

This is the link to last year's run from my Map My Run page. This should help a little.

http://www.mapmyrun....view/1742544941

quick question, bobbys: for the climb I see both units: feet and meter. I guess feet is the more realistic unit? (would be 140m)

#6 bobbys

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

The data is a little inaccurate as the GPS lost signal a few times due to building interference etc. I would use the course profile from the event site as a guide. Please note that this is last year's course and there have been a few changes in the Pyrmont area.....