#1 HarderBetterFasterStronger

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

Entries open on Thursday!

I'll be running it again this year. My first time as a preferred entrant and hoping to beat last year's time.

Who else is in?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 BogFrog

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

This came on my radar this weekend through a facebook update.  Think I'm in for this one.  Haven't raced a HM in over a year - it'll be 18 months by the time this comes around...

Just looked at the preferred start times and I actually qualify based on my 2015 city to surf time!  Seems the softer target to go for - 63min city to surf or sub 40 10km - I've easily got the sub 63, but ain't anywhere near a sub 40 10km.  Anway, I guess I'll see you at the start line HBFS!

#3 HarderBetterFasterStronger

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostBogFrog, on 06 February 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

This came on my radar this weekend through a facebook update.  Think I'm in for this one.  Haven't raced a HM in over a year - it'll be 18 months by the time this comes around...

Just looked at the preferred start times and I actually qualify based on my 2015 city to surf time!  Seems the softer target to go for - 63min city to surf or sub 40 10km - I've easily got the sub 63, but ain't anywhere near a sub 40 10km.  Anway, I guess I'll see you at the start line HBFS!

Totally, the only reason why I qualify!

#4 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Just tried to enter using the early bird $35 off loyalty special and it won't let me in. And then saying I have to fill in the pre-qualifying form. I well and truly qualify baby!

#5 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

I am in. Just entered via the early early bird special. It took 30 minutes to get to the confirmation stage mind you. I have received the confirmation email but the e-ticket has not come thru. I love the internet.

#6 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

I have entered too very excited as this will be my 10th SMH. This was my very first 1/2 ever, way back in 1994, when you started under the bridge, and  Steve Monghetti ran past me (it was 2 laps then) down in the Domain a most exciting and happy moment. I have no idea how many different courses there has been. I'm in the green group and will just be happy to beat the sweepers

#7 HarderBetterFasterStronger

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostBeesKnees, on 07 February 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I have entered too very excited as this will be my 10th SMH. This was my very first 1/2 ever, way back in 1994, when you started under the bridge, and  Steve Monghetti ran past me (it was 2 laps then) down in the Domain a most exciting and happy moment. I have no idea how many different courses there has been. I'm in the green group and will just be happy to beat the sweepers

SMH was my very first half as well. Back when it was two loops. I still remember my time, 1h56!

#8 claudicles

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Entered. Andrew 09 I also got the email but no e-ticket so I went on the site and downloaded it.

#9 Matt_Taylor

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Was mulling over what races to do this year when that special for previous runners popped into my mailbox, so I said 'feck it', and entered. Looking forward to hitting the course again! Still prefer the Blackmores for its run over the bridge, but SMH ain't half bad, and despite the hills I'll be looking to crack 1:35, maybe even 1:30. Long way to go yet though.

#10 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

yep , got me e-ticket now. The helpful staff at SMH also sent me copy of my e-ticket also just in case. This is probably my fave event. Not too long , not too short. I see the course goes up Grosvenor pl towards Harrington st. Grosvenor pl is a nasty little hill!

#11 EJ84

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

I'm in. My first half since this event in 2014. My first road event November 2015.

I've been back running for 11 weeks now after 11 months out with a knee injury. New running style, which has taken some getting used to (it's still brutal on my calves), but I've been extremely happy with my training progress.

Shooting for a PB. I'll be more than happy with anything under 1hr 34m.

#12 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

How's everyone tracking?  Got my bib in the mail (191) a few weeks ago.  Already got the taper jitters and it's only Tuesday...

#13 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Excited and nervy but I ran Bathurst 2 weeks ago in 2.35. I wish I could get my time from 1994 of something like 2.18 but that is beyond me now. Will be happy to finish and hopefully quicker than last year.
Bring on number 10 :Star:

#14 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

I am in and trying to get ready - hoping to better my time from last year of 1.51.40.  Like others, I would love to reclaim my glory days ... it is just that I am suffering from too many candles on my birthday cake.

Come on Sunday.

#15 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Best wishes to the runners and in particular BF and hopping she bags a PB

#16 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Just got a little confused looking at old photos - what are the bib colours? Afraid I might have been put into the wrong group...

#17 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

BogFrog my bib is green and I am in the green slowperson group

#18 FastUpHills

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

I'm guessing you should have a red bib.

#19 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

All good - I was in the right group.  Had a great run. The body felt awesome the whole way - no niggles to worry about. The first half of the race is mainly downhill or flat so I was well ahead of schedule by the halfway mark. When I saw that halfway clock, I thought I might even be able to squeeze in a 1:32:xx, even though I knew about the hills on the second half - and boy did they pinch - HARD.

I had just about gotten over the feeling of the too-big-brekkie when I stopped at the 12K mark to take on some water - I should've left it as it sat very heavy in my stomach for the next 3K. I struggled with the hills around the 14/15K mark with lots of people overtaking me, but I was mostly overtaking them back on the downhills. Note to self, more hill training. I felt good again when we got out of the tunnel, and although Maquarie Street was uphill, it was mild enough and I didn't find it bad. Then I got the dreaded stitch just as I ran into the Mrs Mac's loop. I had intended to run hard here as I normally run this section really well, but I couldn't. It didn't hang around too long thankfully. The last 700m was a slog, but I still had something in me for a sprint finish to get over the line in 1:33:42 - A 2min+ PB. Can't complain at that! Happy little Vegemite :)

#20 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

BF
I thought your training as reported was going well so congratulations. Now that sub 90 in close, very close.

#21 Smoke

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

This was my first SMH half, I must confess I was unprepared for the hilliness of it! Injury has had me training predominantly on a treadmill (albeit with an incline), so I knew I couldn't expect to get close to those times.

However between dodging the crowds (I was in green group and it was a real mosh pit for the first five kms easy), slogging up the hills, and poor nutrition on my part (I should have stopped to properly hydrate) I was a bit disappointed not to get very close to my PB, even though I know I'm in better condition today than when I got it (in a different race). Came in at 1:52.

It was funny, partly it was the splits, but I felt like I spent 3/4s of the race overtaking people and then the last 3-5km getting pipped at the post, especially on the final loop around Macquarie's chair. People were flying past me then and I was just trying to hold on!

Great fun though, had a lovely day and I'm more determined than ever to do better at Blackmores in Septmember. Might have to introduce some hill training I think...

#22 claudicles

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Classic pacing problems for me. I usually pace fine but this time I broke 1km, 1 mile, 5 km and 10km pbs then ended up a couple of minutes slower than last year for the 21.1!  I've been carrying a couple of injuries which I haven't put the work in to fix as it will be tons of weights work and it was getting in the way of my running. My hamstrings play up with hills. I can focus on the injuries now. Cool.

#23 EJ84

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

Congrats to everyone! Man, it was a beautiful day after forecasts a few days ago.

Up to Thursday I actually thought I wasn't going to run. I did an obstacle race a couple weeks ago and hadnt run since because of a minor knee injury. Friday night I thought I'd try a fast 5km to test the knee out and try to shock my body into some fitness.

Maybe it worked or maybe I didn't need to do anything. I had a great run and close to 2 min PB with 1:33:06.

My GPS wigged out bad and measured over 2km long, being wildly incorrect from the 2nd km. It was therefore useless in pacing myself so was stoked to see in the end I ran very even splits of 4:24/4:25 "blind".

Could be keen for another PB at the flat Blackmores course.

#24 Smoke

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Congratulations CoolRunner, an excellent time!

#25 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostEagle, on 21 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

BF
I thought your training as reported was going well so congratulations. Now that sub 90 in close, very close.

Arghghghg! Jeez! No pressure! Massive jump and very far away! My goal is 10K related, so ... chill (and sooooo looking forward to another mara)

EJ84 - I had a GPS watch before that screwed up BIG time with city runs (Fenix 2) but other watches were good. Just sayin'.  All GPS's are equal, but some are more equal than others...

#26 EJ84

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Yep, mine is a Fenix 3. Had it for 2 years now and it's been worse than my old Forerunner from day dot.

#27 claudicles

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

My Garmin made me seem awesome by over stating the distances too. I spent a fair bit of time trying to work out my splits from the km markers. Ahhh technology.

#28 monocotyledon

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

My tomtom was also out by a full km. Lovely run though and perfect weather!

#29 HarderBetterFasterStronger

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

BF, you achieved what I could not. I missed my PB by 30 seconds. I felt really really good up until km 16 when the hills got to me.

I am disappointed as I thought I was in better form than that.

Still a great day out though, amazing atmosphere and in the top 100 female, can't complain.

BF, can I ask what type of training got you there? In fact I might start a whole new thread for that.

Hope everyone enjoyed their day.