12 replies to this topic

#1 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

So last week I was about 6km into my 18km run commute when my left calf started to tighten up. It wasn't too bad so I just eased up a little and kept on going, tried to stretch it out when stopped at lights.

At the dreaded unlucky 13km mark there was a rather steep downhill section which loaded my leg up totally wrong and everything went to shit. That leg was not participating in any more running. I walked for a bit to try and get it moving again, but every time I tried to run I was halted after only a few steps. I was quite grumpy for the rest of the walk home =[
Got the foam roller onto it when I got home and that helped a little

Gave it a rest for the rest of the week and did a nice easy 6km on Saturday without any issue. Tried the same easy 6km on Sunday and around 5km in I felt the same pull in my left leg and this time my knee was also starting to show displeasure at the situation. Not wanting to do any more damage I immediately pulled the plug on this run and walked out.

And that bring me to my question... remedial massage?
I've never had a proper sports massage before. Is it something I should be looking into? Would it help?

And if so, what should I be looking for? Any suggestions for where to go in the Sydney (Parramatta) area? How much can I expect to pay? Will call my health fund and see what they cover. How often should I be getting it done? Anything else?

Thanks

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Berlin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Well, I have been going to a sports massage therapist at my physio, where the massage hurts a lot (it has to), but gives tremendous relief to all these tight muscles. He recommends it once a month in your recovery week. ($80 one hour) Mine is at imovephysio in Rozelle (Mike), who runs anything up to 50k, so he knows a bit about runner's issues.

Another alternative I have tried is the NSW school of massage in the CBD: for $60 they work on you for 2 hours - it can  be a very good massage by an advanced student or a not so great one by a beginner.

Those nice feel-good massages are pretty useless, it really has to hurt. I personally trust therapists more, when they are at a physio's place, because they seem to have a pretty good knowledge about injuries as well. Mine encourages me to roll - a lot!

#3 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Berlin. That's a good point about getting it done by another runner. Someone who actually knows from personal experience whats going on.
Just had a quick look at their site and they look like they know what they're doing when it comes to runners.

Ya know, I have previously thought about going to student hairdressers for a cheap cut... But don't think a budget massage would cut the mustard. Maybe if you timed it closer to graduation rather then the beginning of the year it might be alright.

#4 Stej

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Give it a try.  Ask the therapist for some tips for self-massage as the calf is fairly easily accessible for you to do some ongoing or maintenance work yourself.  A foam roller for general rolling and then a foam block plus a hard / semi-hard ball for more targeted pressure.  I like the Trigger Point products for this (but there are lots of different options).

The other thing to bear in mind is that while the symptoms are emerging in the calf the underlying problem (cause) can be elsewhere e.g. stiff ankles lacking dorsiflexion.  Or it might just be ramping up training to much to soon.  Or something else.

If the calf is acutely injured and really sore then I'd avoid hard massage at that time (it can just make bleeding in the muscle and inflammation worse).  Get the massage when it is feeling a bit 'off' but not acutely symptomatic.

My 2c.

#5 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Of course massage balls are a thing. Why wouldn't they be. I've always just used a golf ball for feet or tennis ball for everywhere else.

I had wondered if the calf was the actual problem, or just the first guy to start yelling about something being wrong.
When the knee joined in I knew instantly he was just jumping on the bandwagon of a greater problem.

Thanks for the input Stej.

#6 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Have you been icing it?? If there is any inflammation there, it might help to just try icing it a bit too.

#7 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yup, gave it a bit of an ice over the weekend. Helped a little.

Another thing I've realised today (well, I've always know it, but only really thought about it today) is that I sit like an absolute muppet while at work. Terrible posture and legs all over the place. So I've made a conscious effort today to straighten myself out. Hopefully that will help all round.

#8 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Best of luck with getting on top of it. If its something that's a bit inflamed or irritated, then just try giving it a little time for starters and I would say, dont get too agressive with it. Sometimes that can just cause more aggravation and delay healing. Where as some agressive massage might be good for sorting out things that are a bit tight, dont think its ideal for something  that is a bit injured or tender. Human body knows how to heel itself, its been doing it for eons and that's what its designed for. So, it may just sort itself out if you back off for a bit and see how it settles. If it plays up on you again after you have given it a rest like it did last time, perhaps you need to have someone have a look at it. Might help to assess your running technique then as well as the posture you are thinking about now. Good luck with it.

#9 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

So I just got back from a session with Mike at imove - thanks for the recommendation @Berlin.
It was really good. Things are feeling better already.
As expected, the cause of the problem is elsewhere - my glutes are rubbish. Mike gave me some exercises to strengthen them.

#10 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

It always seems to end up with glute exercises.

#11 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostAndyP, on 05 September 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

You only win a prize though if you have the office worker tri-fecta: lazy glutes, tight hip flexors, rounded shoulders.

#12 RunningSurfer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostStej, on 06 September 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

You only win a prize though if you have the office worker tri-fecta: lazy glutes, tight hip flexors, rounded shoulders.

BINGO!  What's my prize?

#13 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostRunningSurfer, on 06 September 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostStej, on 06 September 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

BINGO!  What's my prize?

Congratulations!  You have won a copy of the book, "How to activate your booty and achieve fame and fortune", by Kim Kardashian.  It's in the mail.  Maybe.  Enjoy!