• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

View PostTux, on Sep 22 2008, 06:31 PM, said:

By days end I had taken 500 photos, a PB  :LOL:
Photo 416
One looks rather silly running around with a flag sticking out of their head!!

Edited by Tim 2, 23 September 2008 - 03:12 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#202 emjay

getting there....slowly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

but a great way to protect yourself from swooping magpies

#203 ratdog

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

View Postyondi, on Sep 23 2008, 07:58 AM, said:

Congratulations on finishing the marathon Ratdog.  :D Although it's not as you had planned it's still a huge accomplishment.. A lady came up to me on the day and looked at my cap and said" Cool runner .Yes i thought i recognised the hat". It turned out to be your mum. She said you were hoping for 3:15 but 3:30 was maybe more realistic. We had our eyes peeled for you. your mum got into being a cheerer :D  I heard her yelling Go CR,Go Strider,Go Can too.Very cool.As it got later she was starting to worry a little. Then we spotted you coming up to the finish. She was so excited she had her two cameras poised to take your photo. She said to me just before she raced off she thought she might have had the camera the wrong way and taken a photo of herself. That'll be a good one for the photo album.I think she was very proud. :LOL:

YONDI

Yondi

yes that was my mum, she was a great support to me on the day and has always being thoughout my life.  But she sucks so much at technology.  not only did she take the pic of herself she also deleted all the photos of the day before i even got to see them.  

Heres my marathon tip of the day.

Never allow old fogies to handle technological devices with such important information/photos..

its just another way I wont be able to forget the day.

#204 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

View Postrachinaus, on Sep 23 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

So like a crazy thing I have decided to go to Melbourne in three weeks to see if I can break the two hour mark. Book by the end of today and they will still send out chips etc.

Can anyone give me a quick heads up on what to expect with the course terrain - flat, undulating?

Cheers

FLAT not even a hint of undulating and not flat except for the hills. FLAT FLAT. :LOL:

Edited by Eagle, 23 September 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#205 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

View PostAction, on Sep 22 2008, 10:32 AM, said:

Yes, I thought I knew everyone in front of me, but a storming run by Steven Hill from Narraweena proved me wrong.  I haven't come across him at any races before, and as he is a Sydney lad, I am surprised not to hear of someone in the 50+ age group who can run a 2:48 'thon.  I wonder if we can recruit him for Striders?  Does anyone know him?
Well, there you go.  It appears he didn't run the full course...

#206 Diane

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

View PostFred, on Sep 22 2008, 06:32 PM, said:

Pub was fun, dinner afterwards funner, photos are still making me giggle....walking like a geriatric today.

I remember this fun part too Fred!  You'll have to find a secret place to post those piccies now for those of us with the secret-squirrel password to view..... deleted any?

#207 Whippet gal

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

View PostTux, on Sep 23 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

By days end I had taken 500 photos, a PB  :LOL:

Thanks Tux!

There's a series of me running under the Harbour Bridge. I downloaded them and watched them one after another really fast to make it look like I was sprinting. If only...  :D

#208 Vurt

1.21 Jiggawatts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

Marathon Photos are up
http://www4.marathon.....dney Marathon

#209 Jul

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Well, I've done my first ever HM and it won't be the last! Although I am hurting a lot today, I am really happy with my time of just over 2hrs 2 minute, considering it's my first HM and I thought I would do about 2hr 10min. Loved the course, running over the bridge and finishing at the opera house were fantastic. I've posted some comments about the option to mail out the race kits (which would help people like me who don't live in the area and work full time and have no choice but to wait half an hour in the 30 degree heat the day before the race) plus the poor organisation of drink stations. But overall I thought it was a great venue and great run and I'll definitely be back to this course!

#210 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

View PostAction, on Sep 23 2008, 12:16 AM, said:

I don't think he was the only one Action. As a spectator on Sunday, some runners looked way too fresh to have completed 42km. Some others appeared to have bodies and running form that strongly suggested they could not have covered 42km in times ranging in the 2.50- 3.15 range. ...ie try men at least 25kg overweight for their heights and appearing to be over the age of 45. Maybe they are ex-sub 2.20 men making comebacks off limited training, unlimited beer consumption and still with that truckload of talented someowhere in their bodies???

Who knows though, there could be freaks of nature out there.

#211 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

View Posttetley, on Sep 22 2008, 09:54 PM, said:

But one question remains....where the bl**dy hell is slowmo???? Is he still running? Was he delirious at the finish and took the wrong bus home?  Did he pocket the sponsorship and shuffle off into the sunset?
Did someone mention my name :D

Taking a leaf out of Ratdog's and StellaBella's books, I've just put my race report up as a blog article rather than repeat it here:
http://see-slowmo-ru...y-marathon.html

Meanwhile, I want to say thanks to all the friends who have called and sent PMs over the last couple of days. That's meant a lot.

I've been enjoying reading everyone's race reports. There are far too many to list all those that have entertained, inspired and moved me, but a few I'd like to mention...

Crabby - sub-4 hours !!!  See - I told you that you wanted to do another marathon :D

MissPinky - great effort in the half, especially on such a warm day.  Go the tri top team !

Paigebaby - I loved reading your report. Look forward to meeting you one day.

Walshy - very brave running, and a wonderful sentiment at the end of your race report.

Ratdog - man of 12 toes and another brave runner - good on you.

Ewoksta - It was great to meet you. That photo of you with your boys is priceless. Well done.

Emjay - what can I say ? You're a star  :LOL:

Lastly, I'd like to publicly embarrass my brother (Bedders on CR) who ran at 10% of his normal pace to keep me company on the run and stayed with me when the wheels fell off; the lovely Runbare who went out looking for me on the day and rang the next morning with plenty of wise words and healing humour; and Frank for his encouragement and friendship before and after.

slowmo

#212 dickyboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

Some top quality photos of the half, marathon & bridge run can be found here
http://themomentstha...377628180_qvpuY

Slight emphasis on Striders but a good range of others too.

#213 StellaBella

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

View PostVurt, on Sep 23 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

Dear lord... I only look like I'm actually running in 1 of them... not a good look really! And why is my mouth always open!?

Mind you the shot with the harbour bridge in the background is kinda cool... not sure if it's cool enough to spend money on tho!!!

I'm off to do a trillion sit ups now in hope it might look like I have abs in Melbourne!!!

#214 mrscruff

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

View PostStellaBella, on Sep 23 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

Dear lord... I only look like I'm actually running in 1 of them... not a good look really! And why is my mouth always open!?

ha!!!
in every photo since i started running i am on one leg and look as if i'm in the process of falling to the ground, all the while with my eyes shut. a nice look.
you're not alone stella! :LOL:

barry

#215 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

View PostVurt, on Sep 23 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

Must be overloaded (or doesn't like kiwis), can't raise the server from here in Dunedin :LOL:

#216 lauraaa111

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

View Postsook54, on Sep 23 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

Must be overloaded (or doesn't like kiwis), can't raise the server from here in Dunedin :D
I checked mine out half an hour ago then ate dinner and came back and it's taking double the time to load!!! Why didn't I order them half an hour ago  :LOL:

#217 WhiffyFuzzball

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

View Postrachinaus, on Sep 23 2008, 01:24 PM, said:

So like a crazy thing I have decided to go to Melbourne in three weeks to see if I can break the two hour mark. Book by the end of today and they will still send out chips etc.

I've been thinking about it since Sunday afternoon. Flights, accommodation, entry, food etc will come to over $600 and I'm not sure getting the 4hr marathon monkey of my back is worth that - and then there's the thought that a second marathon within 3 weeks is a stupid idea. And yet..

Paul

#218 fulhamrunner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

Ran the Marathon on Sunday, and as ever it was a fantastic experience. This was my third since I took up running as a mid life crisis last year and the buzz doesn't seem to go away. This year I thought that I would try to entertain - if only myself - by getting as close to my target time as possible. I set myself a goal of sub 5 hours, and was horrified as I passed the MCA to see how close that time was. Fuelled by some well placed cheering, I picked up the pace (which was not available about 10 minutes before), and found myself sprinting to the line. (I say sprinting because that is what it felt like, but to outsiders it was probably slow motion!) Even as I turned the corner to the Opera House, it was touch and go, so I tried to go harder, finally crossing the line at 4.59.56 - four seconds to spare!  :LOL:

Next time it's going to be 4.30.

Of course, it's not all about the finish. The race was a tough one with the sun, but I did have the chance to chat to a few runners including one from New York who had run the Iceland marathon. (Not many people do it apparently - can't see why.) This lady was aiming for 4.30 and left me for dead around Randwick. I hope she met her goal. I also spoke to a New Zealand lady at the start who had come over here in a large group - with only two opting to Marathon run.

Along the way there were other delights. The hoses were very welcome in the heat, and the enthusiasm of the drinks teams was great. Pity some didn't understand my jokes - probably because I was incoherent.

One disappointment was that the large police presence on Oxford Street seemed to keep the more interesting people at bay. I always enjoy seeing people coming out of bars at 7.45 am to be greeted by the sight of all of the runners. The look of confusion is a sight to behold.

Reading other comments it seems like the marathon was the one to do this year. I found it to be well organised and very smooth. I even received a T shirt that I can wear this year which was a big improvement on last.

#219 Fossil

Keith Bateman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

View Postallrounder, on Sep 23 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

that would have been me! i'd done the half and was supporting a friend (& every other CR/Strider I could see) in the Bridge Run...glad it had the same effect!!
Sure did - it cleared away all the negative thought demons that had been building up!

Edited by Fossil, 23 September 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#220 Thornton

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

What a course!  Milsons Point, over the bridge, through the park and then down to the opera house absolutely spectacular and takes your mind away.   I came down for the Bridge Run (had planned on the half until the flu got me 5 weeks ago) and my husband and 2 children did the family fun run.  We stayed at the Vibe hotel - which was great would thoroughly recommend it for convenience (although had to pay top rates for the saturday night)   It seemed a bit easier than last year, with less sideways steps and dodging which I think may have been due to the self seeding signs (maybe I didn't see them last year , this year took only 2 mins to cross the start compared to last years 6 mins).  I found the drinks stations good, always plenty of water, but a friend of mine who finished in 1 hr 15 (and she was running) said they ran out of cups at some drink stations! (Thankfully she had her own bottle which they filled up for her from the hose)   It was a hot day and organisers knew how many entrants were there, those at the back of the pack are out there for longer and need the water just as much.  Km markings were good.  I absolutely love the downhill finish, it makes you feel like you could run it all over again.  After the run and a drink of water it was down to cheer on the marathon race.  How amazing you all were!  Some people looked like they had just done 5km (not 40 or so km) , completely relaxed and in great form.  Others looked like they were feeling it and it was fantastic to cheer them all on.   After that it was back to the Ferry, there was a huge queue and just as we got to the front of the queue "Ferry's Full".  Thank you to Sydney Ferries who promptly organised another ferry which arrived within 5 minutes (instead of waiting for 30).  I found the organisation wonderful, the volunteers friendly and the atmosphere comparable to none.  

Not to sound ungrateful, but a keyring?  My children were excited and encouraged to do this run as they saw the medals from last year.  They were (to say the least) disappointed with the keyring.  I know that them achieving this is the important thing.... but they are children and a medal's a medal.  Thought I'd remove the keyring section and put the 'medallion' on a ribbon for them!

My favourite running festival - will definitely be back to do the half next year!

#221 StellaBella

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

I have uncovered secret footage of the sleeping attire that our very own Ratdog can claim as the secret of his success:

Posted Image

#222 OutbackSlacker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

Thanks so much for such a great set of race reports everyone. This is my first log on the site, but just ran my second marathon on Sunday in Sydney and it was so cool to see all the support you give each other that I have to put my reflections up too. I run alone out in the bush, so to have so many keen runners around was a real boost. Great to read your report Lauraaa, keep the enthusiasm going!

After my first marathon in July last year I was so knackered I lay on my back for half an hour with a spinning head, so I was a little on edge for a few days before the race. Every little niggle and threat of a sore throat was a nightmare. My wife was really crook all week, but didn't pass it on. Didn't get too many kisse either!

Couldn't go to sleep the night before, woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so it was good to hear the gun crack and get rid of a bit of nervous energy up onto the bridge. My plan was the same as the last one, to crack three hours, only to actually do it this time! Started with the Sloth and knew he was aiming for a little faster than me, so thought I would try and keep him in sight, and the 3 hour pacers somewhere behind me. Couldn't believe the day, so beautiful to run in. Before I knew it we were in Centennial Park, an old uni training ground. Passed my wife on the way in and out for a boost.

Felt great and relaxed except my right shoe must have been on too tight, because my heel started to kill. Loosening it helped, but it lasted for about 10 kms, until it faded. Ended up running with a bloke from Spain who had only done about 50 something marathons. He was good to tell me we needed to slow down around the Dacey St section as we were getting ahead of ourselves. Actually got the drink stations working this time, without spilling most of it. Didn't have the knack before.

Going out past the Anzac bridge I kept telling myself the the turnaround would give a long downhill towards home. Didn't count on the steep pinches up through the city again though! I think I hit some sort of wall around 38 kms and mentally drove around through under the bridge towards home. What a rush to hear all the cheering coming around the Quay and up to the finish line. I was so focussed I didn't even hear my wife screaming at me at the. Made it in 2:58:58, a 12 minute PB. Can't walk now, but I can smile!

Bushed

#223 djwilson303

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

I would like to thank all the CR's

I am a very solitary runner, I love the time to "get into my head"

I would love to let you know that its great to have a place to vent about running (my friends get bored of me talking about it all the time). and the support you give each other is great.

Edited by djwilson303, 23 September 2008 - 10:53 PM.

#224 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

View PostHamburglar, on Sep 21 2008, 11:24 AM, said:

88:02 for me today (a 80 sec PB) and I am wrapped. I printed out a wrist band with splits of 4:10 that would have given me a 87:55 and I (nearly) stuck to it the whole way. Having done very few runs over 10k recently made the last few k's extremely difficult however the CR cheerspaud at MCA gave me a real lift. I really enjoyed the course and the day.

As I was running across the Bridge at 6:30am, it was already warm and muggy and my thoughts went out to the marathons who would be in for a tough day later on. I will be interested to hear some of there reports.

BTW - Great to see Uncle Dave running well and Vurt smash 90 mins. Well done!
I was running with you the whole race ... I guess :D I did 88:29 (4:11).

For me was bloody hard, I didn't enjoy it at all. I was looking for PB (my current one is 1:25:39 om Geelong this year). Next year I'll come back for the full one, but I'll go for a 3:30 or something like that ... not for the time ... just to enjoy that race.

Sydney is so beautiful (not to live) and I want to ejoy that race.

Cheers,

PS: See you next year ... at least you run Melbourne :D (c'mon MM ... it'll be hard :LOL:)

#225 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

View PostTehAxe, on Sep 21 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

a special shout out for the 3hr pacers.

I think it was you Tim 2 who stopped at the end to nurse a delirious, stumbling runner the last few hundred metres. Bloody stirring stuff.
and if Andrew T hadn't guts'ed it out & powered home, you may not have been able to do that
shows the value of having a 'team' of pacers

my first time watching a marathon, amazing how moving it is watching people you don't even know finishing

I agree 100%. It was great to see that. THANKS in name of the runners.

#226 tonedbutt

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

View Postmoh, on Sep 22 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

To quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that"...right? :LOL:

Cheers
Mark
(from Oatley)

:D
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."  If you see this Eric Swart idiot give him a rabbit punch from me.   :D

#227 tamaelia

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:12 AM

View PostStellaBella, on Sep 23 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

I have uncovered secret footage of the sleeping attire that our very own Ratdog can claim as the secret of his success:

Posted Image

I am fully expecting to see this available in the CR store. *nodnod*

#228 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Posted Image

View Posttamaelia, on Sep 24 2008, 08:12 AM, said:

I am fully expecting to see this available in the CR store. *nodnod*
I was going to ask what happened to the yellow colored cloth but decided I did not want to see that part of the garment. :LOL:

Edited by Brick, 24 September 2008 - 08:20 AM.

#229 brewer

will get it right one day...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Didn't we discuss CR mankinis in the City to Surf thread?

#230 Fred

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

That's just wrong.  What's he got stuffed down the front?

#231 TehAxe

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

View PostLong Arms, on Sep 23 2008, 06:31 PM, said:

Who knows though, there could be freaks of nature out there.

apologies if I'm bringing this thread down but...
there was a guy in the half who put in a freakish performance.... according to results & photos he:
- crossed the start mat behind me
- was well behind me on the harbour bridge
- somehow managed to catch up, overtake and put a huge gap on me, enough so that he had time to be hanging around an alcove under the bridge on Hickson Rd in under 80 minutes when I ran past. Funny that I didn't spot him at any point on City West Link?
- despite looking reasonably fresh, wasn't able to get his race speed back so finished a over a minute behind me

last year he did the half 3 minutes faster, so he's obviously quite an accomplished athlete. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

#232 Nutta

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps a timing mat at the city west link turn around would fix that problem.

#233 brewer

will get it right one day...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

It would give us a split too. Two birds, one stone. Noice

If the individual in question is cheating, well he really is only cheating himself. Tosser.

Edited by brewer, 24 September 2008 - 11:02 AM.

#234 MissPinkyInSydney

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

Far out Ratdog!!!
12 toes AND a mankini.....you are just too hot to handle!
I know it would have caused some major chafe but I SO WISH you had worn that on the day.....I would still be laughing!

#235 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

View PostTehAxe, on Sep 24 2008, 10:06 AM, said:

last year he did the half 3 minutes faster, so he's obviously quite an accomplished athlete. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

As they say.... "you're only cheating yourself!..."

I feel amazing today, I just want to run and run. Reckon I could do another marathon at the weekend!

I don't think that that sense of achievement and pride could be attained if one had not completed the full race. I really don't understand cheating, in any sense.  :LOL:

#236 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

View Postlisa1979, on Sep 24 2008, 11:03 AM, said:

As they say.... "you're only cheating yourself!..."

I feel amazing today, I just want to run and run. Reckon I could do another marathon at the weekend!

I don't think that that sense of achievement and pride could be attained if one had not completed the full race. I really don't understand cheating, in any sense.  :LOL:
FF Marathon Saturday 27th September

#237 StellaBella

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

View PostFred, on Sep 24 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

That's just wrong.  What's he got stuffed down the front?

Um... possibly his gels... or just a jelly bean?  :LOL:

#238 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Can you please stop posting the pic of me as my PM inbox is now full of sheilas wanting a bit of the "package".   he he he .  

BTW Colsy, im straight.

#239 Ewoksta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

View Postratdog, on Sep 24 2008, 01:08 PM, said:

BTW Colsy, im straight.

Doesn't look straight in the picture?? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ewoksta, 24 September 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#240 Ewoksta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

View PostAction, on Sep 23 2008, 04:16 PM, said:

Hey Action,

Steve is a friend of mine who pulled out around the 17k mark with a Hamstring strain. He walked back into the city to wait for his wife to finish the Half and somehow got caught up with the 9k runners. Off in fairy land he walked across the timing mat. Dont know how, don't know why  :unknw:

I have given him a forehead slap  :vava: on CR's behalf and told him not to do it again.  :rolleyes:

Cheers
Andrew

#241 TFive

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

View Postratdog, on Sep 24 2008, 01:08 PM, said:

Can you please stop posting the pic of me as my PM inbox is now full of sheilas wanting a bit of the "package".   he he he .  

BTW Colsy, im straight.

I think you're having post marathon delusions  :rolleyes:

#242 Dutchie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hi TFive,

Congratulations on an amazing half marathon result!! :rolleyes:
You finally got there! Yeh!
What's next?

As you may know I DNF in the marathon so was pretty disappointed, I had developed sharp pains in my knee and thought it wise to stop. :vava:

Congratulations to all CRs on your great runs. :unknw:

Dutchie

#243 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hi Guys I am wondering if I am the only one who is having difficulty in getting the results from the race? The website seems to be very slow to load up.

#244 Zed

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on Sep 24 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

Hi Guys I am wondering if I am the only one who is having difficulty in getting the results from the race? The website seems to be very slow to load up.

Yes, me too and once it actually downloads it is not very user friendly. It would be great to get an excel spreadsheet and then do all the data sorting that it allows.

#245 Angelwings

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

It's good to see caring runners sacrificing their finish times to help another in distress.

Sounds like you were through the finish around the same time as me (1.12.09).  

My event experience was so similar to yours - this was my second Bridge Run and my husband and I both cut 5 mins off last year's which I wouldn't have believed possible.  We are both over 50 power walk/joggers but we enjoy the achievement just the same - me mainly because 2 years ago I walked off 30 kg which attached itself to me over an 8 year timeframe !!!  

I too carried my own water in a belt pack and also my own loo paper, unlike some who complained bitterly!!

The accolades go to all the marathon/half marathon runners and winners, and so they should, but the achievements often mean more to the 9 km and 4 km entrants, such as myself, because it often seems like a marathon to some who may have only just started running/walking.

I therefore was more than somewhat disappointed in the keyring instead of the beautiful pewter medallion and ribbon we got last year, because my achievement in completing in good time was just as important, probably more important, to me and others younger and older, as was the achievement of the winners of the longer runs.  

I have now replaced the ring on the keyring and put on a smaller ring and bought a chain from the jewellers so I can wear mine and hang it up with the other medallions I have.  Two years ago I could hardly put one foot in front of another - I have now completed 2 x 14 km, 2 x 9 km and 1 x 8 km within the times I set myself (it's a pain being short as you have to use more effort to mae your legs have to go as fast as the long legged people!)

I'm now thinking of doing a 5 km fire trails walk/run at Fitzroy Falls Fire Trail Marathon day in the Southern Highlands.  You can enter on the morning and it's a late start at 9.00 am after registering at 8.00 am.

View Posttamaelia, on Sep 21 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

My mum and I were both cheering the marathon runners on when we saw you two helping that man. I saw him go down and you managed to help him back to his feet. It bought humbling tears to my eyes to watch you both do your best to help him. I hope he is recovering ok from what must have been a traumatic end to such a long run. My deepest regards to you all for the effort you put in to try and get him home, so close to the line.

/salute

I am sure everyone else who got to run across the coathanger had lots of fun today. If you will all indulge me just a little bit, I will give my best effort at a race report.

I got myself dressed, had regular breakfast etc. Got down to the train station to the announcer saying my train was delayed by 20 minutes. *grumbles* I figure that wont be too bad though given I had a 10 minute changeover at Hornsby. Followed the throngs of people out of Milson's Point station and down to the marshalling area. (Was glad I stopped at the Hornsby station toilets.) I chatted with afew folks that were standing by me as we filtered into the starting areas. Seemed like a gazillion people. I found the 1.00-1.15 sign and figured that was a good a place as any to start from.

I had my Podrunner interval thing running in one ear with it playing 5 minute runs and 1 minute walks. The second run lined up perfectly with the the pylons to the bridge so I ran across its whole length. Next walk was down Cahill Expressway, which I am glad of as it was quite steep and I wouldn't have liked to jar my knee that early on. 2km down, I rang my mum and my hubby from above the Ferry terminal to let them know how I was going.

It was abit disconcerting going up Macquarie St to see heaps of people running the other way. I recalled Knoddie's words of advice and kept it slow up the hill. As we passed the 4km sign I thought to myself.. this all new from here. Furthest I have ever gone.

Into the Botanic Gardens down to Lady Macquarie's Chair was lovely, it was cool and a light breeze. I felt good. I had taken my own water bottle so I didn't need to find any drink stations. Past Boy Charlton Pool, and that steepish pinch up towards the Cathedral really stung. Then I saw the 7km sign (don't know what happened to 6 LOL ) so I just slowed it down abit until my heart rate settled back down to its regular gallop.

What a welcome sight was the top of Macquarie St, there was a lovely breeze coming up off the Harbour and I just felt great. It was hard to resist the urge to just stretch out and run fast. I am glad I didn't though as I am sure I would have lasted only 100 metres and gone splat.

As the Bridge Run path converged with the Marathon path near the Opera House, I heard this huge cheer, which apparently I gather the first of the marathon runners was coming in just as I was. So I pretended they were cheering for me anyway, and smiled big as I could manage as I ran under the timing thinger.

I checked my watch, it said 1:14:38. The timing page lists me at 1:13:55!!! I Can't believe I made it in that time. I rang my hubby right away to gloat, errrr... celebrate my huge success! If my maths is right, that means I was doing 8.22mins per km. Sounds so slow compared to the folks that finished in 30mins and less. But I finished! And now I have a time to beat next year! I am so happy I did this, I don't feel too achy and we are going out to dinner tonight with some family to celebrate my efforts.

It was an extra bonus to be able to shout out afew Go CoolRunner!! to the marathon runners as they came round Circular Quay, I saw one of the pacers and explained to mum about how they set a pace for other runners to use as a guide and she was blown away at your efforts. I think it was the 3:30 pacer, so whoever that was... yay you! Mum and I think you guys rock!

Edited by Angelwings, 25 September 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#246 Rugbygal1978

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Better late than never I suppose! I think I got so caught up reading everyone else's reports that I forgot to add my own.

Ran in my first half on Sunday, the longest distance I'd ever run before. I won't go into too much detail about the night before and morning prep, beyond saying I didn't sleep a wink and accidentally left my hat in my lift's car. Arrived at the start line at about 5.30pm and was quite horrified to discover the porta loos were still locked as the "key master" had slept in. I couldn't face standing in line until I knew the lines would be moving so I did a little warm up run, stretch etc with some of the Can Too folk. Rejoined the now HUGE lines at 5.45am and basically stayed there until 6.10am when - still seven people from the front of the queue - I decided I'd have to wait!

I ran with the Can Too 2hour pacers pretty much the whole way and yep, they did a good job as I got home in 1.59.51! I loved running over the bridge, in the middle of the road, but I must say I HATED the City West Link stretch - it was just soul destroying, nothing to admire etc. I found the 2 hour pace a little uncomfortable at times, but I really couldn't be 100% objective as I spent most of the race wanting to go to the toilet but I was too nervous I would never catch up with the pacers if I stopped, and felt like if I broke my rhythm I'd be gone.

Hit a bit of a wall at about 13km or so, but a gel perked me up pretty well until I saw the 17.5km sign and thought "noooooo". Thankfully (???) the night before my BF had forced me to watch Rocky III for reasons unknown to myself, and a line from "Apollo" popped into my head which was "there IS no tomorrow". So that basically became my mantra until I finally saw the Opera House and heard the finish line cheers, when I actually teared up a little bit and started thinking about my journey. Three years ago I was about 30kg heavier, a smoker, a drinker and so unhealthy it wasn't funny ... it's been a loooong journey. I then tripped over a kerb and nearly face-planted, so that brought me back to reality pretty darn quick!

Whoo hoo! Felt pretty well stuffed at the finish line ... but was soon swamped by some more bright orange Can Tooers, family and friends.

I felt like my training was pretty well spot on, the heat of the day got me a little bit and I wasn't too happy to have missed out on water at some vital stages. Ultimately, however, my number one lesson is to GO TO THE TOILET before the race.

Next time I am definitely wearing a Cool Running singlet though, loved running past the Cool Running cheer squad and hearing support for everyone. I watched the marathoners between 3h and 4.30 or so and seriously, total respect. I was stunned at how easily some seemed to be doing it, running next to some seriously broken units.

I'm definitely signing up for another half ... but before that I've decided I really need to lose an extra 7kg or so to really get myself in running shape. At the moment, very vague pipedream is to be running the full 42.2 this time next year. eeek!

#247 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

View PostEwoksta, on Sep 24 2008, 03:59 PM, said:

Hey Action,

Steve is a friend of mine who pulled out around the 17k mark with a Hamstring strain. He walked back into the city to wait for his wife to finish the Half and somehow got caught up with the 9k runners. Off in fairy land he walked across the timing mat. Dont know how, don't know why  :unknw:

I have given him a forehead slap  :vava: on CR's behalf and told him not to do it again.  :rolleyes:

Cheers
Andrew
Saw his photo and it looked like the wheels had fallen off.  Tell him I will be looking for him next time!  All sorted now.

cheers
Stephen

#248 StellaBella

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

I got sent my finishing video but I can't get it to work... all the blackmores crap plays but I think the bit that's meant to be me is the bit where it's a black screen and seems to be scanning!

This is probably not such a bad thing... but I'd like to see it just once!

#249 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Non-CR report by proxy.

My nephew is a 28 yo Sydney 1st Grade no 3 batsman (Wests) and has never ever in his life run anything at all... (until recently) a fairly podgy short guy (well still as short as me now..) .... moving to England soon for a couple of years wants to do London next yr.

I thought, what..not him.

After just a couple of months of running he did a 37:24 for the 9k

cheers

...just run...

#250 Stuboy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

View PostOutbackSlacker, on Sep 23 2008, 06:21 AM, said:

Thanks so much for such a great set of race reports everyone. This is my first log on the site, but just ran my second marathon on Sunday in Sydney and it was so cool to see all the support you give each other that I have to put my reflections up too. I run alone out in the bush, so to have so many keen runners around was a real boost. Great to read your report Lauraaa, keep the enthusiasm going!

After my first marathon in July last year I was so knackered I lay on my back for half an hour with a spinning head, so I was a little on edge for a few days before the race. Every little niggle and threat of a sore throat was a nightmare. My wife was really crook all week, but didn't pass it on. Didn't get too many kisse either!

Couldn't go to sleep the night before, woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so it was good to hear the gun crack and get rid of a bit of nervous energy up onto the bridge. My plan was the same as the last one, to crack three hours, only to actually do it this time! Started with the Sloth and knew he was aiming for a little faster than me, so thought I would try and keep him in sight, and the 3 hour pacers somewhere behind me. Couldn't believe the day, so beautiful to run in. Before I knew it we were in Centennial Park, an old uni training ground. Passed my wife on the way in and out for a boost.

Felt great and relaxed except my right shoe must have been on too tight, because my heel started to kill. Loosening it helped, but it lasted for about 10 kms, until it faded. Ended up running with a bloke from Spain who had only done about 50 something marathons. He was good to tell me we needed to slow down around the Dacey St section as we were getting ahead of ourselves. Actually got the drink stations working this time, without spilling most of it. Didn't have the knack before.

Going out past the Anzac bridge I kept telling myself the the turnaround would give a long downhill towards home. Didn't count on the steep pinches up through the city again though! I think I hit some sort of wall around 38 kms and mentally drove around through under the bridge towards home. What a rush to hear all the cheering coming around the Quay and up to the finish line. I was so focussed I didn't even hear my wife screaming at me at the. Made it in 2:58:58, a 12 minute PB. Can't walk now, but I can smile!

Bushed

That's so funny!  I ran with the same dude in Hobart.  He'd set some sort of record I reckon - for running a marathon on every continent on earth in 12 months...Hobart was the last one.  He'd run in the North Pole with a water warmer in his pocket to squirt on his eyes to stop them from freezing and also had done a marathon in the Sahara.  Amazing!  Love your story, has got me fired for Melbourne in only 17 days!