6 replies to this topic

#1 freakyfeet_86

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

Hey guys i have just been diagnosed with a stress fracture on my 4th toe and a stress spot on my 3rd and 1st toe, so i was wondering if anyone could suggest some other forms of training to keep up fitness. I have started water running, which feels great, but do you think that cycling or using the rowing machine would make it worse? I definately want it to heal asap! thanks

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 RL44

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:06 AM

I was diagnosed with a stress fracture on my 3rd metatarsal and told to keep off running for 6 weeks.

Well, I managed to do it for 4 weeks or so, tried it out with a light 4km run (no pain) then an 11k run (slight discomfort after 9km) then tonight another 11km (only very slight discomfort, no pain).

Was testing it out for the SMH Half, which I said I would not do...listened to myself until now!

Anyway, I won't run it (as discomfort will more than likely turn to pain) but what I can say is all my eliptical training and step-up training, with intervals, has improved my hill running like I could not believe!

That kind of cross-training, because your foot stays flat, caused me no pain at all (cycling did, obviously because of the foot position).

So I would definitely give those activities a go! A friend of mine who is a 'real' runner said he only cross-trained when he got injured because he loved running itself so much...well, I was like that too (hence the stress fracture, too much, too soon) BUT after this lay-off and 'forced' cross-training, all I can say is "it works wonders!"

Best of luck.

#3 Cato

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

Several years ago I got a stress fracture of the metatarsal. It was correctly diagnosed at hospital and it was a spot about as big as a 5 cent piece.
I suffered for weeks before finally getting diagnosed.
It took me six weeks to adequately recover and in the mean time I swam and rode a bike to keep my fitness up.
I think that you should be able to do the same, as these alternatives are low impact.
The problem with a stress fracture is you start to feel OK, and then if you come back to running too soon, it re developes and the clock starts all over again.
They can be a very frustrating injury.
Hope everthing works out OK.

CATO

#4 lactatehead

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

I had a stress fracture in the metatarsal last year. I got onto an exersise bike about a week after the diagnosis and it still recovered OK.
I had 6 weeks off running.

#5 freakyfeet_86

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

Yeah i have been cycling a few times at the gym, but i am not sure if i feel extra pain afterwards or if i am just imagining it (freaking out!), but i definately dont experience any when i am doing it. Also you mentioned an eliptical, is that machine where you run, but it looks in slow motion, like the pads move with your feet? if so i think they have one at my gym too.

#6 RL44

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Correct re. the eliptical trainer. I find the stair-climbers and cross-trainers (ie. those with the handles on the side that move back and forth) also give you a good run for your money.

#7 Stej

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostCato, on 12 May 2006 - 02:34 PM, said:

The problem with a stress fracture is you start to feel OK, and then if you come back to running too soon, it re developes and the clock starts all over again.
They can be a very frustrating injury.
Hope everthing works out OK.

CATO

Yes.  Good point (even > 10 years on!).  I am getting some "sensitivity" near my injured metatarsal and I have thought at length about not wanting to re-injure and restart the injury clock all over again.  This observation says to me stop or at least slow down but the fact the runs are pain-free, there is no real soreness, and I can hop and bounce on the balls of my feet, and the more than adequate time off running inc time in boot (3-4 mths) says it should have healed and keep going.  

I think I'll probably back off a bit, try to restart and if that fails then start unloading the cash for the physio (who I saw for original diagnosis) and an MRI.  Yes? No?  Any other thoughts?

Are you there Cato? :)