14 replies to this topic

#1 crskat

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

The Adelaide marathon in 2018 seems to have been brought forward to 27 May and it should be on a new, faster course, although the photo suggests it will still finish inside the Adelaide Oval: https://sarrc.org.au...-festival-2018/

Does anyone have a link to the new map?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Robert W

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Just looked at website as I'm interested in it. Thin bare on information, how can they open registrations for an event with hardly any information except the date!!

#3 Phanta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

Might be my cynical nature, but I'm suspicious of the wording 'start and finish at the Adelaide Oval' - there's a big difference between finishing at the ground and finishing on the ground (as anyone who finished the 2011 Melbourne Marathon in the car park will know!!).

Also note the SARRC page says the course is still being mapped (presumably that means negotiations in progress with councils, police etc). It continues the trend of the last year or two where races open registrations ridiculously early to try and capture as much cash as early as possible. I understand the commercial rational behind it, but it does emphasise the nature of the race as a business first and foremost, and as an event secondarily. I'd prefer things like courses finalised before opening registrations - no problem with announcing a confirmed date as soon as available, but taking money without a course and with a no-refunds policy is a bit rich for mine.

Personally, unlikely to do this one due to proximity to Great Ocean Road (thinking of targetting that again for the first time since 2012) but will keep an eye out for the course and make a decision in 2018

#4 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

Agree Phanta, Its not the first time this has happened with this race either. Will keep my money in the wallet until I see the course and finish confirmed!!!

#5 crskat

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

The last two years they actually finished inside the Adelaide Oval on the ground. So I presumed it would again as long as the date does not clash with any match. Fair point about confirming the course first. I thought the map had been released but can't find it anywhere. I will do some more googling.

It seems like the SARRC swapped the Barossa and Adelaide marathon dates around. They must be trying to do something new to make it more attractive, with so many events around. I am thinking of doing the Gold Coast which is 5 weeks after Adelaide so it could be a good fit.

#6 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Yes the dates for the Adelaide and Barossa have been swapped. I was told that was the plan at the Barossa this year and it seems it is now reality. Suits me to run Adelaide in late May. I expect to be there but will keep my money for the time being.

#7 mb2326

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

No problems with the swap of dates for the Adelaide and Barossa marathons but the issue with the Adelaide marathon is the distinct lack of lead up races, it’s the Clare HM or nothing, no dolphin run or green belt. Not sure this is ideal considering the SARRC brand the Adelaide marathon as the flag ship race for the year. To race leading up to it is a 140 km drive or nothing.

#8 crskat

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

So I have found the map linked at https://sarrc.org.au...-festival-2018/
"which is currently under discussion by State and Local Government and our Events Team" (https://www.gpsies.c...pvozxddoowmaqyk)

The interim map shows the start being at War Memorial Drive and finish on the ground inside the Adelaide Oval.

@mb2326, you are right, the Greenbelt seems to have been pushed back to after the Adelaide mara. They also pushed the Clare HM to later than the last year but the 2hr drive from Adelaide is longish.

#9 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Must be hard for the organizers that with a major State Capital Marathon coming up in under 5 months they are still negotiating the course with Govt's, maybe the Government over there should look at Melbourne, Sydney & Gold Coast which attract thousands of runners and book the City's out for the weekend, people aren't going to book to commit to an event when they don't even know the course until the last moment.

#10 mb2326

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

They should just use the same course as last year, it has changed a few times over the past 5 or 6 years. I think they need to stick with one course for a few years, it will make all the approvals etc a lot easier

#11 crskat

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

I quite like the look of the currently proposed course. It definitely looks less out-and-backish than the last two years. It could become the new standard course for the next few years if they can pull it off and stick to it. It is probably the question of road block costs vs number of runners.

#12 Cobalt

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hoping that this event will be my first marathon. Suits me being when it is since living in the South East SA I find it hard to train over the winter. By the time it's reasonable to start training in August/Sept, the magpies come out in full force, for example on my usual 8km route I have to negotiate 4 swoopers... not fun.  Not that many really hot days down here so Summer/Autumn training is perfect for me.

One question though, what do the drink strings generally have. Water only or are there some gels, lollies, bananas?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

#13 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:12 PM

Usually its plenty of drink stations, some with just water, some with water and sports drink, recently Tailwind.  No gels etc, though I  have seen jelly type chews (snakes, etc) sometimes.   Always the option of placing your own choice of drink at some of the stations. Details of drink station locations and drinks usually publicised in plenty of time to plan your strategy.

Edited by Andrew2, 10 January 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#14 Abaustin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Any ideas if / when the new course will be agreed for this one. Was going to do Canberra but summer neat has got the better of my training schedule so now targetting this.

#15 Cibsob

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

From all reports the City Council/State Government were to be signing off on the course today (24th Jan).  Assuming this is correct, I imagine they will publish the course through website/social media ASAP.