#151 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostAndyP, on 29 March 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Great report, Daz.  I need to put something up too.

Please! I do love reading race reports as much as writing them.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#152 Keithh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

One more race for me this season at Moreton Bay Tri in late April. By then I am hoping to be well over my Achilles issues and a little quicker all around. I've begun a program of Mt Coot-tha hill reps to try and get stronger on the bike.
After that, there's a big gap til Sunny Coast and as Daz says, more run focus needed!

#153 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Nice one Keithh. Do you do any windtraining?

#154 AndyP

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Kingscliff Sprint Tri Race Report

Pre-race

Unlike my first sprint tri, I didn’t get a sighter of the course beforehand, and I wasn’t staying near the course.  That meant an early wakeup call to get to transition in time, and with the Hawks playing the night before, I was restricting the amount of sleep I was going to get.  Of course, my brain must have known this, so my restless leg syndrome was in full force that night, and the only sleep I got was about 4 hours on the couch.

As soon as I got there, it was good to see a mate of mine getting his registration pack; it would give me someone to chat to while waiting for the start.  Daz was probably still in bed at this time.

Swim

The actual start seemed to happen way too quickly.  We were ushered in to a starting area for our briefing, then got in the water, and as a back starter I didn’t even have time to get to the start line before we were told to go.  I’m slow enough as it is, without giving a headstart!!

One of the lessons learned from last time was not to panic early in the swim, so I concentrated on just keeping to a relaxed stroke from the very start.  Maybe I should have pushed a bit harder, but I don’t have a great feel for how fast I am swimming.  We were told to keep the buoys on our left, but it seemed like a lot of swimmers decided to keep them immediately on their left, but like Daz I went to the right, as it seemed like the more direct line.  This meant swimming by myself, and having some doubts that I was doing the right thing.  I think I did go a bit too wide on the last buoy though.

I timed the swim as 17:42 (17:58 Official), and my garmin measured the swim as 713m, while Daz measured it at over 800m.  Either way, the speed is far from impressive.  And now I’m already 4 minutes behind my shorter, current assisted swim from my first sprint tri.

For my category, I was 15th out of 25, Gender 107/142, overall 231/297.  I guess that is an improvement on last time, but how can I really tell.

T1

Less of a run than last time, but this time I was getting changed into bike shoes, with MTB cleats.  I sat down to put the socks and shoes on, which wasn’t exactly a speedy way to do things.  I also choose not to do a rolling mount, and made sure I got on the bike safely. The transition took me 2:32, which is pretty much the same as last time.  Overall, I think I can do the transition a bit faster.

Ride

I felt like I really pushed myself hard on the bike this time, and the legs really felt it.  It crossed my mind, that I might have been stuffing up my legs for the run, but I figured that I didn’t want to finish knowing I hadn’t given it my best.  I spent a lot of the leg passing and getting passed by one competitor, who was in my category.  I don’t know if I helped him, but it was good for me to be pushed (I passed him in the last couple of k, and was stronger on the run).  I found that when you passed one person, you tended to pass two or three with the momentum you had gained from drafting on the first pass.

My recorded time for the 20k leg was 35:59, which was pretty much the exact same average speed from last time.  That is disappointing, as I now had cleats, and should be fitter.  I guess the course had more elevation changes, plus there was less traffic, so less drafting.

BTW the Halo Sweatband did the job, with no sweat in the eyes on the ride or run.

Leg placings were 15/25 again for category.  Really?!?  My ride was comparatively no stronger than my ride for my age?  Other placings are much kinder with 65/142 for gender, and 90/297 overall.  Maybe the gender placing makes sense when you consider that 40-44 is probably a key MAMIL age.  The official ride time also included both transitions, which hasn’t been a focus for me.

T2

Unlike last time, where I didn’t need a shoe change, but stuffed up by running out without my running bib initially, this time I needed to put my runners on.  I timed it as 1:37, which was almost the same as last time also.

Run

This was a really tough start to the run.  The legs are heavy and they hit you with this short and sharp climb within the first couple of hundred metres, which just kills your pace early.  My goal was to run at 4:42min/k, which is the equivalent of a 23:30 pace.  The run felt like a struggle most of the way, and I had to constantly push myself to keep the pace, although you wouldn’t know it by looking at my Strava feed, as it looks like a progression run.  I like to finish strong, if I can, but this course made it hard with pedestrian dodging on a boardwalk, a U-turn, and 90 degree turns and uneven terrain all in the last kilometre.

I timed the run as 23:13 (4.9k), at 4:43min/k pace with pace splits of 4:50, 4:47, 4:48, 4:39, and 4:27min/k.

The placings are much better for this leg.  10/25 category, 50/142 for gender, and 67/297 overall.  Hooray!  Running is clearly my strongest leg now.

Overall

Final time: 1:21:11  
15/25 for Men 40-44.
78/152 for Men
115/297 Overall.

That time is disappointing because it is four minutes over my last sprint triathlon, yet I know I was in better condition, and pushed harder than last time.  You just can’t compare one course against another, but how else are you meant to measure yourself, except time?

What next?  To be honest, I don’t feel a calling for triathlons, as there is too much training required.  For now, I might try to get myself up to a 100k bike ride, whether that is an event or not, while I keep improving my running, and maybe throw in an occasional swim.  I might pop in and out of the triathlon world.

Edited by AndyP, 31 March 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#155 Keithh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

I get on the windtrainer once a week. I probably should get on it more as I think it is probably closest to a course like Mooloolaba where it is so flat for so long. I find on that sort of course my hamstrings really cop it and then the run can be hard to find a rhythm. It's easier on a course like Raby Bay with some hills as you get out of the saddle more on the bike.

#156 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Despite my temporary retirement from triathlon, I went for a swim this afternoon.  It was either that or sit around drinking beer.  My right goggle seems to have completely lost suction, and was continually letting water in.  Is this something that normally happens with goggles?  Are they now dead?

I better update the tri report with my finish photo:
Posted Image

Daz, you need to work on yours.

#157 Keithh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Goggles are annoying pieces of equipment ! I find that if I put mine on my face when both face and goggles are dry then no problems, no leaks. However, if I get my face wet and try putting the goggles on then the right side always leaks. Cranking up strap tension is ok until it becomes too tight and your head feels like it will pop.

#158 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Ha, my finish photo is awful. I didn't even realise they were taking photos.

Good report Andy, you did pretty well - even more impressive on  4 hours sleep. Those transistions are pretty quick...at least by my standard. I'm sitll stuck in long-course mode where it pays to transistion slower and make sure I've got everything.

Oh and yes, halo sweatbands are the best.

#159 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Alright, my official training for the Sunny Coast 70.3 has kicked off this month! I should be able to swim again post surgery this week...hopefully! (see ENT tomorrow).

Had ideas of sub 5 hours, but doubt that will happen due to the bike course change. Lots of people at my club are doing it, so its going to be a really fun weekend away.

Anyone else doing it?

Edited by dazmuzza, 05 June 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#160 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Anyone else race Sunny Coast 70.3?

I did, had a great time. I've written up a race report here for those who like reading race reports!

https://medium.com/@...an-2273ec9b2730

Next up: Raby Bay in a few weeks, Noosa in November and likely Kingscliff.

Edited by dazmuzza, 12 September 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#161 Keithh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

No, I missed Sunny Coast due to other commitments, which is a shame considering the conditions.
I read your race report for Sunny Coast Dazmuzza, nice work ! When I saw the photo of your ankle I was thinking that it looked pretty nasty, so good job at finishing the run.
What brand of bike is that in your photo ?

I'm doing the sprint at Raby Bay this weekend, then some more QTS events (including the 2 olys at Robina) and the Tweed Enduro in Feb, 18.

#162 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hey Keithh, its a BH. Spanish brand. A club member lent it to me along with some great wheels. Nice biek to ride!

Ankle is looking OK today. Tiny bit sore but hopefully will come good in the next few days. I've had worse sprains thats for sure.

I'm probably going to do one of the QTS rounds soon as well.

#163 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I probably should start thinking about what I want to do over the summer. My 13 year old showed some interest when I suggested it for him this evening; the idea fell flat with him last year.

#164 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Nice race report, Daz, and good to see a beer in your hand after finishing again.

#165 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

QTS starts up gain this week AndyP. Though I saw the race prices and almost punched myself.

#166 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

It comes around so soon.  I'll have to have a look at the overall tri calendar.

#167 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

I'm already booke din for Noosa olympic and likely doing Kingscliff as well in December. unsure about doing sprint in that one, but thinking olympic.

#168 Keithh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

QTS at Raby Bay this morning. Wetsuits optional ! The morning started cool but relatively still. My son and I were a little worried about the water temp because it was also a bit overcast. The race wave starts were in reverse order today so after the cool kids us oldies got to start. My wave kicked off at 7.34.
The usual pre race nerves were gone once I stepped off the pontoon and into the water. The initial shock of the water temperature was gone pretty quickly once I'd done a few strokes to loosen up.
There were about 40 guys in my wave and pretty soon we got underway. I found a rthythm very quickly and settled in for one of my quickest QTS swims. Those fast 100s and 200s must work.
As I got to the ramp to exit the water I reached my right hand out to the helper and as they pulled me I felt my shoulder subluxate ie partial pop out. No biggy, I felt ok and trotted up the ramp and into T1.
I found my bike with ease, helmet and sunnies on and ran off to mount. I noticed a little breeze as I mounted and took my time sliding my feet into my shoes. Then it was down to business. It was relatively uneventful, although the cross winds were starting to get stronger. I was passed by a fast guy who had another guy drafting him. This guy continued to draft until they were out of sight. What a loser.
After 4 laps I rolled into dismount, which went surprisingly well and trotted in to transition. Found my T2 spot ok, thanks to landmarks !
Helmet off, shoes, racebelt, visor on. I was a little worried because this was only my second race without socks in my running shoes. My first race I chaffed and blistered. Ouch ! Anyway, this race I went crazy with the Vaseline on my shoes pre race  and it worked a treat ! Off on the run, I went pretty hard the first km but had to back off a little after I had a mini water regurgitate incident.
I kept rolling, passing some and being passed by others. I felt a little crap on the second lap but once I saw the water station I knew I was nearly there. I was nearly at the finish chute and the guy I was passing on the right decided he would run in front of me and come to a complete stop to high five his kid. I nearly ran into him but some fancy footwork had me round him and down the chute.
Overall I good race. Swim - good, ride - average to good, race - a little below average.
Next race in about a month.

#169 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Is there a good single source page for all of the upcoming triathlons?  I have come across a couple, but they seem to ignore the existence of the Bribie Tri Series.

#170 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted Today, 10:50 AM

To be honest, I'm unsure. I would have said the Triathlon Queensland page - seem spretty comprehensive.

http://calendar.tria...e=QLD&sort=date

Are we going to see the elusive return of AndyP to tirahtlon? :-D Kingy is coming up!

#171 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

Probably.  I did just swim for the first time in nearly six months on the weekend.  

Maybe one of the Bribie series races, and the Kingscliff Tri for sprint distance.  Then I'll see where I am at for 2018 potential triathlons.  

I'm hoping my 13 year old will get involved, but he doesn't like the idea of swimming.

#172 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted Today, 06:34 PM

Race Report from Rotterdam - Olympic Distance Age Group World Championships

The short: The Rotterdam Triathlon organisation and event could have done with some huge improvements including earlier communications and an improved bike course. Team unity within Team Australia was lacking with very few opportunities to meet each other. Despite crap weather leading up to the event, thankfully Rotterdam put on a cracker on the day. I placed approximately where I thought I would place.

The Long: This was the most complicated triathlon I've ever done. We all saw the course map months ago and knew it was going to be a technical course with 2 transition areas and a bike course with lots of corners but what we didn't know about, until they released a video of someone doing the bike course, was all the changes in surface we would have to navigate - cobblestones, bike paths, brick pavers, bitumen, speed humps, ridiculously steep improvised bridges, train tracks etc. All this on tri bikes with very very narrow tyres makes for a very dangerous course. You don't expect that for a world championship race and it was a bit of an insult for the athletes who have trained and travelled so far to compete in the race. Apparently the Rotterdam government refused to close down roads for us. Thankfully the weather was dry on the day or there would have been hospitalisations. I saw 2 crashes as it was, on the second corner, while waiting for my swim start.

To the race... We were coralled into pens while waiting for our wave to start. When it was our turn, we jumped into the water but I wasn't quite prepared for the shock of the cold water. Hanging onto the edge of the pontoon, I was willing them to hurry up and sound the siren for us to get going as I was cold. It didn't take long. The usual sprint start happpened but I was in a good position 10 seconds in. Then my body decided to play games - I couldn't breathe. Everytime I turned my head to breathe I couldn't get air in. The shock of the cold water on my face/chest had caused me to hyperventilate. I stopped a few times and forced myself to breathe out, but after a few strokes it would happen again. I reverted to breaststoke for a bit to get my breathing in order and then I was off again. Lost about 30 secs there which is disappointing. This has happened before in cold ocean races, which is why I always warm up (?cool down?) just before the start but we didnt have that option. The rest of the swim was uneventful, but my arms got heavier and heavier as it went on - I hate wearing wetsuits! 23:33 for the swim.

Then the run to T1 which was nearly 1km! Remembered that I was row 17 for T1, got the wettie off, put it into the bag they provided, with my hat and goggles. This was a requirement. Grabbed my bike and then onto the dreaded bike course. I was a little cautious for the first lap as I wasn't sure how my bike (or I) would handle the terrain, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Not a good course by any means. I was able to take the corners with more confidence the second lap - And I stayed upright! I had been pretty worried that I would have a crash on the course.  I saw no signage leading into T2 so I was a little unprepared for the dismount - had the feet out of the shoes but did a complete stop and not the usual running dismount. 1:09:13 for the bike.

Then into T2. Remembered I was row 24 for T2, dumped the bike, grabbed my shoes and started my run. Legs felt heavy and quite tired. The quads weren't too pleased with me. I had felt they weren't right on the bike. Because the bike course had lots of corners, there was lots of getting out of the saddle to accelerate out of the corners and my quads were complaining earlier than usual. I wasn't able to bring my foam roller with me so I think my quads suffered. The run course was lovely - 2 laps through an undulating park, some cobblestones, some earth, some bitumen. I slowly faded on the run, but managed to overtake a few but was overtaken by a couple too. Just before the finish shoot I was handed a mini Aussie flag to wave as I crossed the line. Run done in 41:51, but it measured only 9.3km. Slower than I should've been able to do.

2:22:13 total time for 16th place out of 91. I don't spend enough time on the bike and this is reflected in my bike times and in the fatigue I felt on the run. But I'm a runner with a triathlon problem...   The world champs are on the Gold Coast next year so I'll continue trying to qualify for that but wont be rushing to do another Worlds soon. Training became a chore on the holiday and the logistics are too hard!

Edited by BogFrog, Today, 06:45 PM.

#173 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted Today, 08:27 PM

Great race and great report, BF.