Garmin Forerunner X05And 205/305 issues.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1975 replies to this topic

#1151 thomo

Take off deemed semi safe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

View PostSlim DJ, on Dec 28 2007, 09:04 PM, said:

Now I need to sell the old timex.

That is your back up.

Space Shuttle has five. You need at least one.

The shuttle uses five identical redundant IBM 32-bit general purpose computers

Support our Australian advertisers:

#1152 SlimDJ

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

View Poststewy, on Dec 29 2007, 01:44 AM, said:

Slim DJ is the resolution and clarity on Google Earth PLUS much better than the free Google maps?

Nah, Not that I can tell, although they do advertise it as so.

As far as I can see the only real benefit is that you can upload your own data.

#1153 PlodBod

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Can anyone help me here, so I don't have to trawl through this whole thread...?

I have some runs from the last couple of weeks in my Garmin that will upload into Training Centre, (which I don't really use) but I can't get SportTracks to read the data from the Garmin 305  :)  I don't know how to get them from Training Centre into SportTracks, as they've always been read ok before and gone straight into SportTracks.

Any ideas?  I have deleted all the runs from the Garmin that have already been uploaded into SportTracks so as not to fill up space, but not sure what to do now!  

Cheers

#1154 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Its raining cats and dogs in Brisbane at the moment and, for some stupid reason, I am still riding to/from work in it. Is there likely to be a problem with the Garmin if I continue to wear it in the rain? I pull the sleeve of my spray jacket down over it but since I am totally soaked inside the jacket I figure it probably is too.

#1155 Lex

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

No, there shoud be no problem with the rain, they are water resistent.  I run with mine in the rain and also use it in my kayak (in salt water) and it gets drentched and then gets hosed off at the end :-)

#1156 Beki

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Forerunner 405

#1157 AlunDavies

The artist formally known as TaffTrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

View PostBeki, on Jan 4 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

What?  No red one?!

#1158 AlunDavies

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

I feel a little sorry for anyone who's recently bought a 305, as you're going to want one of these.  You won't give a toss about the colour!

Check this out Forerunner 50

Edit: I take it back, it doesn't have GPS - it's a wallet friendly alternative to the 405.

Edited by TaffTrail, 04 January 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#1159 Lilly Legs

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

View PostBeki, on Jan 3 2008, 08:35 PM, said:

Looks like XMas 08 just solved itself!

#1160 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

My initial thought was "bugger, gotta order one today", but on doing some research, I am not convinced.  It seems to be a repackaged 305 with a smaller screen, shorter (gps) battery life, but with a bonus wireless connectivity.  Same GPS engine, smaller aerial, but trendier packaging, and no pace/distance alerts.  Perhaps just trying to crack the occasional user market?

405 video clip here

So, for now, I plan to sit back and let someone else get one.  Certainly no "must have" features that I can see...

Comparison here

If asked for a recommendation right now, I would still say 305.

#1161 Basalt

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

View PostLilly Legs, on Jan 4 2008, 01:01 PM, said:

Looks like XMas 08 just solved itself!

I was about to add, looks like my birthday 2008 is taken care of - but somehow, I doubt we will see it available here in Oz by May....

#1162 AlunDavies

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

View PostAction, on Jan 4 2008, 12:11 PM, said:

My initial thought was "bugger, gotta order one today", but on doing some research, I am not convinced.  It seems to be a repackaged 305 with a smaller screen, shorter (gps) battery life, but with a bonus wireless connectivity.  Same GPS engine, smaller aerial, but trendier packaging, and no pace/distance alerts.  Perhaps just trying to crack the occasional user market?

405 video clip here

So, for now, I plan to sit back and let someone else get one.  Certainly no "must have" features that I can see...

Comparison here

I just ran the same comparison between the 310 and 305.  Apart from looks, I'm not sure why you'd go from a 301 to a 305 given the price difference (I am probably biased though as I have a 301).

#1163 Vurt

1.21 Jiggawatts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

anyone seen a release date? My 305 just died and i was about to buy a 205 to replace it

#1164 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

View PostVurt, on Jan 4 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

anyone seen a release date? My 305 just died and i was about to buy a 205 to replace it

Sent my 305 off to GME for repairs yesterday. Interested to hear what they have to say.

Although normally an early adopter I'll probably hold off on the 405, so long as I get my 305 fixed.

The difference between the 301 and the 305 is marked, I'd not recommend a 301 to anyone just getting into the biz. The 305 gps mapping and niceness is just much better.

#1165 sharpie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostAction, on Jan 4 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

405 video clip here

Comparison here

Agree 100% Action.

Two further disadvantages for me:

1) Smaller, round screen means harder to read multi-field display at a glance and
2) lack of Mac interface. Are Macs still that rare these days? History would suggest that '3rd qtr 2008' probably means 'whenever we can get around to it in 2009'.

#1166 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

View PostAction, on Jan 4 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

405 video clip here

Comparison here

Damn that's unlike you Action, you are usually the first to pounce. Hey it's even got wireless connectivity, surely that's enough to tempt you.  :D
There I was hoping to upgrade my (your) old 301 for a new (your soon to be old 305).
Oh well. have to wait so...

Oh and only 8hrs battery life...what da?? :)

#1167 AlunDavies

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

View PostFakePlasticTrees, on Jan 4 2008, 01:18 PM, said:

The difference between the 301 and the 305 is marked, I'd not recommend a 301 to anyone just getting into the biz. The 305 gps mapping and niceness is just much better.

As I said, I've got the 301 and though it doesn't look as slick, I'm struggling to find a real advantage having the 305.  
  • The 301 has a 5000 lap history as opposed to 1000 for the 305 (not sure I need either)
  • It has only 10 routes as opposed to the 50 of the 305
  • The high-sensitivity receiver must make a difference on the 305, but I stepped outside as recently as last night (in pouring rain) and my 301 got a fix in less than two minutes.
  • The ability to compete against previous workouts would be handy, but not worth the additional expense in my opinion and (this will be a big deal for me)
  • The 301 has about 50% more battery life than the 305.
Aesthetically more pleasing the 305 may be but I can live with the minimal downsides and though those features may be essential to others, there's not a marked difference surely?

Edited by TaffTrail, 04 January 2008 - 01:57 PM.

#1168 Lilly Legs

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Very dissapointing attitude Action, you of all people :)

Who said anything about replacing the 305?  I need a new watch, and the old Timex Bodylink will be sooo yesterday when this arrives!

#1169 FakePlasticTrees

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

View PostTaffTrail, on Jan 4 2008, 02:51 PM, said:

[*]The high-sensitivity receiver must make a difference on the 305, but I stepped outside as recently as last night (in pouring rain) and my 301 got a fix in less than two minutes.

This is a big deal this one. The accuracy is very much better (grammar isn't). Not only does it pick up the satellites faster it holds them. Under bush and through the city you are able to maintain a signal with the 305 that the 301 just can't do. I can't find the page at the moment but when it first came out there was a review by some guy who did the same loop with a  301 and 305 and the 305 just plotted that much better.

With the 301 my runs at Striders Lane Cove 10k race never plotted correctly. I don't have to worry about that with the 305.

[*]The 301 has about 50% more battery life than the 305.

This isn't true in the real world. I never got anywhere near 15hrs with a 301. Also unless you are action or spud (running massive distances in one go) you end up charging the unit every time you plug it in to upload the data anyway so battery life becomes irrelevant.

Plus the 305 doesn't chafe me like the 301 did.

Edited by FakePlasticTrees, 04 January 2008 - 02:46 PM.

#1170 Guest_staypuff_*

• Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

with the garmins can you plan a route and have it show you where you are on a map like gps in cars

#1171 Action

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

View PostSpud, on Jan 4 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

Damn that's unlike you Action, you are usually the first to pounce. Hey it's even got wireless connectivity, surely that's enough to tempt you.  :p
There I was hoping to upgrade my (your) old 301 for a new (your soon to be old 305).
Oh well. have to wait so...

Oh and only 8hrs battery life...what da?? :D
Wireless +10, less battery -20 .... sorry spud!

View PostTaffTrail, on Jan 4 2008, 02:51 PM, said:

[*]The high-sensitivity receiver must make a difference on the 305, but I stepped outside as recently as last night (in pouring rain) and my 301 got a fix in less than two minutes.
[/list]Aesthetically more pleasing the 305 may be but I can live with the minimal downsides and though those features may be essential to others, there's not a marked difference surely?
I am with FPT on this.  The GPS engine is what it is ALL about.  None of the other reasons listed make a difference for me - even battery life is much of a muchness in real life.

View PostLilly Legs, on Jan 4 2008, 02:54 PM, said:

Very dissapointing attitude Action, you of all people :)
Who said anything about replacing the 305?  I need a new watch, and the old Timex Bodylink will be sooo yesterday when this arrives!
Ok, Ok, if I didn't replace the daily Timex Bodylink with the Breitling then as a day to day watch it has real merit, although it isn't waterproof (the 405, not the Breitling ;-))!

#1172 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostFakePlasticTrees, on Jan 4 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

This is a big deal this one. The accuracy is very much better (grammar isn't). Not only does it pick up the satellites faster it holds them. Under bush and through the city you are able to maintain a signal with the 305 that the 301 just can't do. I can't find the page at the moment but when it first came out there was a review by some guy who did the same loop with a  301 and 305 and the 305 just plotted that much better.With the 301 my runs at Striders Lane Cove 10k race never plotted correctly. I don't have to worry about that with the 305.This isn't true in the real world. I never got anywhere near 15hrs with a 301. Also unless you are action or spud (running massive distances in one go) you end up charging the unit every time you plug it in to upload the data anyway so battery life becomes irrelevant.Plus the 305 distance chafe me like the 301 did.
The 305 typically yields about 10hrs battery life and the 301-14hrs even 14.5hrs. I used both at GNW and C2K and that's what I got from them.The satellite reception is heaps better with the 305, no argument there.Rob-"305 distance chafing you..."?So is the battery charge wireless too, with this 405?

#1173 FakePlasticTrees

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

distance = doesn't, i'll edit that to be correct.

Would love to see wireless recharging.

On a different note have you seen the USBCells? Rechargable batteries using USB.

#1174 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

My Garmin lost the plot (pun intended) on the way home tonight and apparently I cycled in a straight line for a couple of kms right through people's houses. Is there a way to correct this in SportTracks or other?

#1175 Beki

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

View Postbalri, on Jan 4 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

My Garmin lost the plot (pun intended) on the way home tonight and apparently I cycled in a straight line for a couple of kms right through people's houses. Is there a way to correct this in SportTracks or other?
I know that when you zoom in on it you can click and drag the points on the route in ST, but I was wondering if there was an easier way.  Every time I have tried to do this I have made a complete hash of it.  Occasionally it goes a bit mental and seems to think I have done a shuttle run test in the middle of the run - is there any way to simply cut excess bits out and "join the dots" yourself?

#1176 Action

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

View Postbalri, on Jan 4 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

You been drink riding again  :)

Yes, easy.  In  ST, under the "explore" button at the top left of the map there is an edit button.  click on that, zoom in, and then drag the points to where you need them - or even create new points along the line.  Careful - it can be addictive correcting every little blemish! :D

Attached Files

#1177 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Perfect! Thanks, Action.

#1178 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

The 405 still doesn't seem to be waterproof which is a bummer if you want to do a triathlon with one. This is a big competitive disadvantage for Garmin.

#1179 yeti

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

View PostAction, on Jan 3 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

It seems to be a repackaged 305 with a smaller screen, shorter (gps) battery life, but with a bonus wireless connectivity.  Same GPS engine, smaller aerial, but trendier packaging, and no pace/distance alerts.
Smaller aerial would be a real concern w.r.t.  sattellite reception - you can't make a GPS antenna shorter than ~4.8cm (1/4 of the wavelength of the L1 carrier frequency (1575MHz)) and still retain reasonable reception.

View Postsharpie, on Jan 3 2008, 12:29 PM, said:

Two further disadvantages for me:

1) Smaller, round screen means harder to read multi-field display at a glance and
2) lack of Mac interface. Are Macs still that rare these days?
1) To make things worse, it appears to be a touch screen - so it isn't olny small, it also won't stay particularly clean during a long run. Not to mention the near impossibility to use (small) touch screens with gloves (its winter over here a.t.m.).
2) Yes, Macs are still that rare, ~3.6% market share in the US, ~2% wolrdwide.
However, Macs are not the only non-Windows system out there (for example I know much more people running Linux on a PC than people owning or using a Mac). And given the 405 has a wireless interface we're probably screwed too. As with most GPS with a serial or USB interface it isn't a problem to read data from a 305 unter any OS (Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix) via gpsbabel - but with a wireless interface you're going to need some proprietary driver.

Yeti

#1180 Action

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

View Postyeti, on Jan 5 2008, 12:23 AM, said:

Smaller aerial would be a real concern w.r.t.  sattellite reception - you can't make a GPS antenna shorter than ~4.8cm (1/4 of the wavelength of the L1 carrier frequency (1575MHz)) and still retain reasonable reception.
1) To make things worse, it appears to be a touch screen - so it isn't olny small, it also won't stay particularly clean during a long run. Not to mention the near impossibility to use (small) touch screens with gloves (its winter over here a.t.m.).
Spot on with the aerial.  Also concerned with it being tucked in behind the LCD screen and therefore the reduction in reception.

It seems to be a pressure sensitive bezel rather than screen, although the start/stop and lap/reset buttons are still physical buttons on the side.  Given the bashing mine gets through the bush I wonder if mode changes (as opposed to mood changes ;-)) would occur?

Oh well, looks like Garmin may have run out of ideas and so are going down the marketing path now.  Guess we have to wait for the 505 for wireless charging, 24 battery life, spoken directions, colour holographic maps, real time back to base position reporting, and EPO dispenser! :)

#1181 PlodBod

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

Is there any way I can have HR shown as a % in one screen, and as BPM in another?  I think not, as you have to chose which unit you want the heart rate measured in, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Also, anyone have any idea re. my previous question about importing data from TC to SportTracks?  

Thanking you kindly in advance...

#1182 stewy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'm only a relative newbie with my Garmin305 and am still discovering a few things about it. I'm a Polar RS800g3/s3 user and still run with that together with my new Garmin305 on my other arm - yes, I know techno geek alert!   :)

Can anyone please tell me in 'SportsTracks', how do I get/find the HR vs. Pace vs. Time/Distance vs. Climb/Descent vs. HR Zones etc. graphs for my runs after I've download them?  I can download/find my runs on Google Earth maps okay but I just don't know how to find the performance/analysis graphs.

Do I have to the Garmin 'Training Centre' program loaded on my PC to be able to use SportsTracks properly as I've removed the Garmin TC altogether today - it never worked properly anyway!

Edited by stewy, 09 January 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#1183 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:33 AM

I haven't installed the Training Centre stuff so I don't know about that.

In SportTracks if you select a workout and then click the down arrow on the Summary title bar you can select a few options like Splits, Pace etc. Select Pace and it gives you a graph of your pace vs time.

If you click the down arrow on the Pace/Time title bar and choose Select More Charts it will give you a list of charts you can add to the Pace/Time chart.

I have added elevation and HR to mine and it is now on the Pace/Time chart for every run.

Hope this helps.

#1184 Lex

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

View PostPlodBod, on Jan 8 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

Is there any way I can have HR shown as a % in one screen, and as BPM in another?  I think not, as you have to chose which unit you want the heart rate measured in, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Also, anyone have any idea re. my previous question about importing data from TC to SportTracks?  

Thanking you kindly in advance...

Hey PlodBod,

I don't have my watch with me today so I'm only doing it from memory, but I think to show HR as a % in one screen, and as BPM in another...in your settings set those features in your 'Main 1' screen and the other in your 'Main 2' screen and then while on your run if you simply push the up or down button (either one) twice I think it will switch between your 2 main screens, then you can switch between viewing both settings.  

Sorry I can't use sport tracks as I have a Mac so I'm unable to help on your second question...

Hope it helps!

Edited by Lex, 09 January 2008 - 07:08 AM.

#1185 PlodBod

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

View PostLex, on Jan 9 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

Hey PlodBod,

I don't have my watch with me today so I'm only doing it from memory, but I think to show HR as a % in one screen, and as BPM in another...in your settings set those features in your 'Main 1' screen and the other in your 'Main 2' screen and then while on your run if you simply push the up or down button (either one) twice I think it will switch between your 2 main screens, then you can switch between viewing both settings.  

Hope it helps!

Lex, thank you!  I had just assumed that when you chose the unit of measure for the heart rate, that was the same for all the screens, but not so!  I have so much to learn about this gadget!  Anyone up for giving Garmin lessons???  :)

#1186 sharpie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

View PostLex, on Jan 9 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

Sorry I can't use sport tracks as I have a Mac so I'm unable to help on your second question...

Hey Lex, apart from the Garmin Training Centre what run software are you using on the Mac? I'm using a program called 'TrackRunner' which doesn't seem too bad although I've only ever compared it against Training Centre.

#1187 Lex

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

View PostPlodBod, on Jan 9 2008, 11:01 AM, said:

Lex, thank you!  I had just assumed that when you chose the unit of measure for the heart rate, that was the same for all the screens, but not so!  I have so much to learn about this gadget!  Anyone up for giving Garmin lessons???  :)

Your welcome!  I only know the basics on this gadget.  I need to sit down and read up on a few things like interval training etc as I hear that function is quite useful...

Hopefully someone can answer your Sports Tracks question.

View Postsharpie, on Jan 9 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

Hey Lex, apart from the Garmin Training Centre what run software are you using on the Mac? I'm using a program called 'TrackRunner' which doesn't seem too bad although I've only ever compared it against Training Centre.

Hey sharpie,

I don't actually use another software besides the general Garmin one as I hadn't heard of any other.  I only just happened to hear of Sports Tracks a while back and looked into it, but found it wasn't compatible with Mac's.  I assume 'TrackRunner' is compatible?  Maybe I should look into that one.  Can you download it off the Internet?

#1188 sharpie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

View PostLex, on Jan 9 2008, 01:41 PM, said:

Hey sharpie,

I don't actually use another software besides the general Garmin one as I hadn't heard of any other.  I only just happened to hear of Sports Tracks a while back and looked into it, but found it wasn't compatible with Mac's.  I assume 'TrackRunner' is compatible?  Maybe I should look into that one.  Can you download it off the Internet?
Yes but you first need another piece of software called "Load My Tracks' <http://www.cluetrust...dMyTracks.html> to download your run data which is saved as a .gpx file. You then import the file into TrackRunner which can be downloaded from <http://www.laniesoftware.com/>. The run can then be displayed on Google Earth; there are also a few other extras that make Training Centre look pretty clunky.
Good luck.

Edited by sharpie, 09 January 2008 - 09:37 PM.

#1189 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

I have been using "Import" to get my data from the Garmin into SportTracks. Is this the best way to do it? See, the problem is that, just about every day, it tries to update an existing workout rather than adding a new one. Is there any way to get it to stop doing this?

#1190 Lex

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

View Postsharpie, on Jan 9 2008, 09:35 PM, said:

Yes but you first need another piece of software called "Load My Tracks' <http://www.cluetrust...dMyTracks.html> to download your run data which is saved as a .gpx file. You then import the file into TrackRunner which can be downloaded from <http://www.laniesoftware.com/>. The run can then be displayed on Google Earth; there are also a few other extras that make Training Centre look pretty clunky.
Good luck.

Thanks for that sharpie.  I will have to wait until I have access to broadband on my laptop, but will definately try this once I do!

#1191 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

View Postbalri, on Jan 12 2008, 08:48 AM, said:

I have been using "Import" to get my data from the Garmin into SportTracks. Is this the best way to do it? See, the problem is that, just about every day, it tries to update an existing workout rather than adding a new one. Is there any way to get it to stop doing this?
Can I suggest deletig the existing workouts which have already been uploaded off the Garmin?

#1192 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

View PostJen_runs, on Jan 13 2008, 08:52 AM, said:

Can I suggest deletig the existing workouts which have already been uploaded off the Garmin?

Actually, its not trying to upload the old workouts from the Garmin, its only uploading new workouts. But, it tries to replace an old workout (in SportTracks) with the new workout even though they occur on different days and times.

#1193 David P

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi, tired from trawling thru pages.  Garmin 205 will not power on when removed from cradle.  Reads battery charging complete.  Have tried holding mode & reset buttons.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

#1194 nando

#-#-#-#-#

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

View Postbalri, on Jan 12 2008, 08:48 AM, said:

It does this to me occasionally, normally when I have run in the evening and the following morning.  I suspect it happens when there are 2 runs in a 24 hour period that happen to be on the same date in a particular time zone (maybe in the US).  I don't know how to stop it happening but you can still import your workout by choosing the "Create New activity" option rather than the update button.

#1195 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

Just last week, went out for a long run and commented how reliable Garmin has been to me.  Now sitting at home with a $400 paper weight.

PROBLEMThe unit powers up in the cradle.  I can switch it on in the cradle and it finds satellites.  The message even comes up that charging is complete.  Take the device off the cradle and it powers off.  Can not switch it on once out of the cradle.I have tried the mode/reset/power press buttons with no luck.  

I am getting desparate.  Have sent an email to Al, but no joy as just out of warranty period.  Sent email to Garmin but not response.Problems seems to be the battery is not taking the charge.  Has anyone had this problem, but more importantly does anyone have a solution.  Any Garmin repairers in Sydney or do you have to ship back to USA.

Sorry i didnt trawl the thread looking for similar problem, but at the moment using dial up and it is slow as my running.  If anyone has the solution, please post or send a PM.  I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers
Rod

Edited by rodthehornet, 23 January 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#1196 FakePlasticTrees

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

View Postrodthehornet, on Jan 23 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

PROBLEMThe unit powers up in the cradle.  I can switch it on in the cradle and it finds satellites.  The message even comes up that charging is complete.  Take the device off the cradle and it powers off.  Can not switch it on once out of the cradle.I have tried the mode/reset/power press buttons with no luck.  

I am getting desparate.  Have sent an email to Al, but no joy as just out of warranty period.  Sent email to Garmin but not response.Problems seems to be the battery is not taking the charge.  Has anyone had this problem, but more importantly does anyone have a solution.  Any Garmin repairers in Sydney or do you have to ship back to USA.

Yep mine just experienced the same problem the other day. Sent it off to gme.net.au in gladesville who said that there was water damage and it was unrepairable.

#1197 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

That could be my problem.  I have a bit of water under the screen in the corner.  There is a service section on the Garmin site that they will do a full overhaul for $99US.  Have sent an email and waiting for a reply.

Rod

#1198 scurry711

Shit Runner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

Looking for Garmin/Sportstracks Gurus (that would be Action at very least).
Background:
Today I did a run in the mountains but my Garmin wouldn't lock on a signal. Not to worry. Plenty of other Garmin wearers were out there.
My question:
Is it possible for someone (ie Moh) who finished at the same time as me to send me a file from his Garmin so I can upload it into Sportstracks????

Thanks in advance.

#1199 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Sure Scurry. Get him to save/export the run as a GPX file which you can then read into your SportTracks.

#1200 scurry711

Shit Runner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

That was quick thanks Spud