36 replies to this topic

#1 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:50 PM

For those interested, the  official webpage for the run has been updated for the 2005 run and contains all of the essential information. Of note, my measuring of the course came out at exactly 34.0 kms, 2kms longer than the advertised distance for 2004 that was derived from tourist information.

You will see that there are a few changes from last year and a little more assistance if you want it, especially in terms of practicing drinking on the run. The run is 4 weeks out from the Melb marathon and I think is an ideal last long run in preparation for this, before dropping the training distances down.

There has been plenty of interest in the run to date and there will be runners of varying speed from about 4min/km pace to 7-8min/km pace. Last year Lee Troop was kind enough to run and offer his support and he is keen to do so again this year if his comeback from injury remains on target.

There is a link  here and on the webpage to register your interest in the run. It will also give you an idea of who else is likely to run.

Lastly, transport back from Queenscliff is an issue for some. I am considering hiring a minibus to assist with this. If this is of interest to you, please let me know either here or via email. I'd need to charge about $5 to cover the cost. If we have enough interest, I will endeavour to put this into place.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:58 AM

Brett, great to see the web site up and strong interest in your run. Some quality runners already lining up.  As I've said previously, commitments elsewhere mean I can't attend but I wish you well. This run is sure to grow.

#3 Ultraphil

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

Well done Brett on the Great work you have done in continuing the Event.  Thanks. I'll be thinking of you Guys on the 11th Sep!

Phil

#4 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:13 AM

A further update on the run for this year - there will be transport back to Geelong for those who require it. Further details can be found  here.

Thanks Phil & Whippet Man for your best wishes. And well done Whippet Man on your run at the 12 Foot Fat Ass. I hope the ITB doesn't get in the way of your plans for the GH 100.

#5 Little K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

Hi Brett,

i havent registered my interest yet on your site, but i'm pretty certain to at least do the 32km. i'm from geelong originally and happen to be down for a week over that period so it works out well. never done the trail before so looking fwd to it!

#6 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

Thanks to all who have recorded their interest in the run or passed their information onto me. Approximate running paces have been added by some to provide those considering the run with an idea of whether they have company.

For all interested, please check the  home page. I have updated the information. Of note, I have discovered that there are toliets available at the start and there are also hot showers available at the finish!

#7 EatEm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Looking forward to it Brett ....   :D

#8 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:50 AM

1 week to go and the  provisional start list continues to grow.

:)  The good news for today is that Lee Troop has been able to confirm that he will be a starter. Troopy supported the innaugural run in 2004 and is keen to do so again this year. His come back from injury has progressed well enough to allow him to incorporate the 34km journey to Queenscliff into his training schedule.  :)  

And a reminder that if you require transport back to Geelong (details  here), you need to let me know by Wednesday. Either contact me directly or add your name to the list. After Wednesday, there are no guarantees although I'd probably be able to get you back one way or another. Alternatively, I'll just put you down for the 68km run!!   :D

#9 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:12 AM

That's fantastic news Brett about the field and Lee coming along again!. Pity there arent more Victorian Ultra runners that are going to support the 68kms... but once word gets out more this event will continue to Grow!

Phil

#10 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:14 AM

quote:

by Ultraphil ..Pity there arent more Victorian Ultra runners that are going to support the 68kms...

Same day as Glasshouse 100 miler in Qld otherwise I'd be a likely starter.

#11 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:25 AM

Ditto.  Any other weekend and I'd have been there.  Would have even missed Melb marathon for it

#12 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

Double ditto. Especially being my home town. Looks like a good list of starters with a high quality field. Hope it goes well and the weather smiles upon you.  :)

#13 Sozza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

I could say I am really looking forward to the run but with my lack of preparation and low motivation at them moment then i would say I am looking forward with trepidation to the run . I am glad that so many runners are taking up the challenge . For me it will be a good indicator of how things may stand leading up to the MM .

I believe (if you can believe 7 day forecasts) that the weather will be around 17c perfect day for running .

See you all on Sunday . What time are we suggested to be there for an 8 o'clock start ?

#14 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

Would love to do this one, but it's the same weekend as the club's traditional Knox to Carrum 37km run  <_<  . If I sleep in Saturday and miss that, or feel like another 30k+ run on Sunday  :rolleyes:  , then I could just make it to the start line....

#15 paulc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

I've got my name down on the list.  After a 3hr run last week, I'm actually looking forward to it.

#16 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Sozza, I'd suggest aiming to arrive between 7:30-7:45am. All you need to do in the morning is sign that you accept the waiver and give us anything you need taken to the drink/food stations including the finish if applicable.

For those travelling from Melbourne, it will take approx 60 mins to get to the start from the West Gate Bridge provided there are no road works.

I am keen to avoid a late start as we all just get cold. There will be copies of the waiver available and it can also be viewed  here. If you are keen to read it, certainly a good idea to read it in advance rather than on the day.

#17 Sozza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the Info Brett .

#18 EatEm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:08 PM

Any other starters .....  :unsure:

#19 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:59 PM

I am hoping to get down there...just got to find someone to mind the kids!

#20 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

quote:

Any other starters .....

... there's 44 on the list at the moment, that seems like a pretty good turnout for a fatass run   :)   , though there may be several (self included) that are somewhat tentative. Looks like there will be lots of company at the 5min/km pace!

#21 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:54 AM

44 interested runners so far is a great result for a fat ass run but with rain forecast and petrol prices causing us all to ride to work, it'll be interesting to see who makes it down.

Of note, I will have a minibus for transport back for those that require it. If the conditions at the end are unfavourable, I'll endeavour to have the engine and the heater running as a place to keep out of the cold for these people.

Remember that there is provision at the start to have your things transported to the finish - a towel and dry clothes if it is wet on the day would be a very wise investment!

#22 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:30 AM

36 hrs to go and the weather forecast has changed favourably from showers to a few showers with a top of 15 which may actually make for ideal running conditions. Please take heed of my above comments, however.

A few points of note for those committed to or considering the run:

* you do not have to have registered your interest prior to the day to run - just turn up in time for registration & an 8am start

* if you require transport back from Queenscliff but have not put your name down or contacted me (ie. your name is not on this  list), you will still be able to get transport back but those who've indicated this in advance will get preference for first trips back.

* at the start, you'll be required to sign that you accept the fatass waiver (can view  here).

* there will be four cars at the start for you to drop things off at: one that doubles as the registration point and the drop off for belongings to go to Queenscliff & 51km station (for those doing 68kms), and one car for each of the 8, 16 & 24km aid stations. Each car will be clearly labelled.

* any transported belongings (for aid stations or for Queenscliff) need to be labelled with either your name or number as found  here - or the number allocated on the day. Marker pens and limited bags & stickers will be at the start point.

* the first shuttle bus trip back to Geelong is planned for an 11:15 departure.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sun. Troopy is going to say a few words before we start. If you want to speak to him and don't run fast, I suggest you have a chat before the start! If you have any major queries on Sat, please call my mobile found  here as I will have limited internet access that day.

#23 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Just finished my 37k run, feeling pretty good, but will reserve final judgement till 6am tomorrow morning! If I do it, maintaining the 5min/km pace may be just a little hopeful.

#24 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Well, that was certainly worth it... a fatass run that would put many "official" runs to shame  :D  . Well done Brett and to everyone who helped out, the organization and facilities were brilliant... separate vehicles and labelling at the start for each of the drink stops, tables with drinks and goodies every 8k with a bin well down the track for empties and rubbish, 5k markers along the way, food and drink at the end and on the bus.... it was all so smooth. And the weather! - expected the worst but it was ideal. Some rain came just as we were getting on the bus to go back to Geelong, but it cleared again so hopefully stayed dry for those running back.

A big thanks to the guys on the 16k drink stop for locating some vaseline for me - prevented further chaffing of the inner thighs which were becoming a bit raw.

The run itself was great, especially with a tail/cross wind, but I did feel sorry for those who had to run into it on the way back  <_<  . How I wish marathons were on that type of surface instead of compressed road - much easier on the feet and legs.

Hung onto the front pack for 12k or so, definitely not in the plan, but couldn't resist the rare opportunity to run with the elites for a while and have a chat with Troopy - good luck with the Commonwealth Games plans mate! Dropped off after that and the last 5k seemed to take forever - that "4.4km to Queenscliff Station" sign just has to be wrong! Still, very pleased to finish in what I think was close to 4:30 pace, mostly thanks to the tail wind.

Now the suffering really begins - shower time  :)  . Those who saw me at the end will know what I mean!

#25 Peter W

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Brett & crew, thankyou for providing such a simple concept that with a of bit effort gave such big rewards and enjoyment to everyone that entered. I used this event to help me make up my mind about doing the MM this year as I haven't run in or trained more than a half marathon for more than 2 years and can't understand why so many more did not take up the training opportunity supplied to them for a maximum outlay of $5!! We had 8 members of the Western Suburbs Tri Club entered and each though the same thing. Simply brilliant, congratualtions.

#26 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

Thanks to all for coming and making this a great day. I have written a provisional run report and posted provisional results  here. If you can help to fill in the gaps, please let me know.

Thanks again to Troopy for supporting the run - it's certainly not all elite athletes who are willing to freely support such runs. In this regard, if you get a chance, please help to support Troopy's fun run next week where you can get the chance to catch up with not one, but two of Australia's greatest distance runners - see  here.

#27 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

Dave Bertovic has done a great job in downloading photos of the run overnight - check them out  here.

#28 Bag

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

Brett I'd just like to add my thanks to you, and the other helpers, for organising yesterday's run. It was all so well done and such good fun. On that course and just a few weeks before the Melb Marathon, it is sure to grow even further as an event - I'll certainly be recommending it to people. And speaking as someone who was always going to be right near the back of the field, even before some injuries cut in at the 25k mark, it was great to be lining up at the start line with a group like that!

#29 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

An incredible return leg of 2:59 for Rob Gray, into the wind and rain, on top of a 4:30 pace on the way down  :)  . Gutsy!!

The weather has been a real shocker since yesterday afternoon - Dave's excellent photos attest to just how lucky we were to have fine and sunny conditions for most of the run.

#30 Sozza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:41 PM

I would also like to thank Brett and his team of helpers your skills in organising a training run such as this was fantastic, definately an event i will put onto the calendar for future years .

The run for me went better than i had planned and i enjoyed the surroundings and the tailwind   :)   .

Also at around 26 km my daughter enjoyed offering drinks and lollies to all the runners and has not stopped talking about the runners .

Thank you once again .

#31 paulc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Brett and all of the other volunteers for putting together such a well organised event.  It was a true 'fun-run'.

As for myself - my 6 min/km pace meant that I lost sight of the main pack quite early on and had a very pleasant run into Drysdale.  I had decided before hand to turn around there and run back.  What a silly idea that was!  The sun dissapeared and the wind picked up.  A very tough return trip for what was my longest training run of all time.

I hope the event continues - and I think that putting the event on as a precursor to the Melbourne Marathon was a fantastic idea.  The only question is how big will this event get.

#32 Reggie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

Thanks again Brett and helpers for a great job. That is a great way to do a long run: a bit of company, great surface and a bit of sightseeing along the way.

Really hard to imagine how guys could turn around and run back to Geelong, especially with that headwind and rain - quite inspirational. Also had a quick chat with pbig in the first few km's, and that was a great run after doing 37km the day before!! I was expecting to see him dropping back later in the run, but obviously kept going strong.

The guys and girls at the aid stations were great (and the water from Sozza's daughter was very timely also!).

I really needed that run to give me a good pacing guide for my first marathon. I decided to run purely according to my heart rate, and not get sucked into following any packs or groups, and I think it worked well.

Thanks again.

#33 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

Well done Brett for taking over the running of this event and for getting so many people there! Hope you can find a spot on the calender to get a few more ultra heads there next year!

Phil

#34 AlpineRunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

To echo the comments of others, thanks Brett for a wonderfully organised day. It's a great trail (although I'm sure the 68k'ers though otherwise once the weather changed), and even better with company.

And thanks to your daughter Sozza, the "Sugar Fairy" was much appreciated at that point   ;)  

Look forward to doing it again next year.

#35 monty29

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:41 AM

thanks to brett and the team for a fantastic day as a runner who has not run over 25k it was a great experiance. looking forward to the MM with a lot more confidence.
monty29

#36 EatEm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:47 PM

What a great 'gathering of like mind people to share an experience' - it wasn't a race ...  :D  

Special thanks to Brett and his band of helpers for putting together a great run. And a special thansk to the delightful 'Sugar Fairy' at the 26 km mark - sugar is a wonderful thing....

I enjoyed my run up until the 25 km point when I started to feel pain on the outside of the right knee .. so the last 8 or so km was run, stop, rub, stretch, run,stop, rub, stretch etc etc.

Never mind, the physio says inflammation of ITB so lots of stretching, self massage (  :D  ) and did I mention stretching...

See you on the 9th.......

#37 Robbie G

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:30 PM

Must add my thanks as well to Brett and family and friends for the terrific organisation and smooth running of this great trail run.
You have a top formula in this event: good timing for MM build up, great trail under foot,  loads of friendly runners to chat with and half the way with sun and tail wind!
I'm sure when the word gets out you'll have a huge crowd for future events.
Once again thanks and well done to all the smiling faces out on the trail. Keep trying the trail running folks its addictive and a lot softer on the feet!