10 replies to this topic

#1 Ultraphil

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:42 PM

Well it was a cold day in Victoria today, but 13 Brave Souls fronted up for the inauguaral Bellarine Rail Trail 32/64km Fat Ass. 11 were in the 32km and 2 in the 64km.  I will post a more comprehensive report later with results. Of course Lee  Troop  had the fastest time in the 32km and when I left Peter Gray and Dave Jones they were fighting out the Honours in the 64km (only about 4 minutes between them)

If anyone wants to post a report of who was there in the 32km please do. Thanks

Full results and report to follow by tomorrow night!

:)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

Official Race Report:

My first introduction to the Bellarine Rail Trail (BRT) was last year when I rode the BRT and thought "What a Great place for an Ultra". Subsequently the BRT Fat Ass 32/64km was conceived and today saw the inaugural running of this hoepfully New Annual Event on the Victorian and Ultra running calender.

Originally it was going to be held on the 4th July, but due to other commitments (that I can't get out of) and the clash with the Gold Coast and Pitchi Richi Marathon, it was moved forward 2 weeks to the 20th June! A quick publicity campaign followed to make sure that everyone knew!( but I still had one poor soul ring me up 2 nights before the run who didn't know about the date change!) Hopefully 4th July doesnt bring any  phonecalls wandering where I am!

I was also quite wrapped in the weeks leading up to the event to get an email from Lee Troop wanting to participate in the event!  At first I thought someone in  the Ultra world was having a lend, but a reply email soon confirmed that it was Lee and he was happy to compete in a Fat Ass event. Thanks Lee for turning up today and taking part. Much appreciated.

Race Day: Alarm went off at 5am and I got dressed, made a coffee and headed down the Highway. What a cold morning! Turned out I could have had another half hour sleep as I was at the start by 6am. People started turning up by 10 to 7 and by 7.30am we had thirteen people lined up for the Maiden BRT Run! After a few words from myself and Lee the runners were on there way!

I then walked back to my car and who should turn up but my Helper for the day, Kevin Cassidy (only 3 minutes late).  Kev is a regular at all Ultra events either competing or helping and should be thanked for his contribution over the years.

We then headed down the Highway to guide the runners across the highway whilst it was getting light and so that Kev could get some pictures! That done, I headed back to the start and Kev headed down to Queenscliff to do a couple of hours running and be a face at the turn around point down there!

By lunchtime all the 32km runners had finished and here are most of the results:

Lee Troop         2h 15m
Brett Coleman     Did 28km
David Wynn        2h21m
Rohan Perrot     2h21m
Robyn Fletcher    3h
Horacio Periera   3h 12m
Wanda Kelly       3h 12m
Jennifer Kelly    3h 12m
Paul Egan         3h 12m
John Caulfield    3h 23m
Andrew Herman     3h 39m

# All should be congratulated for their runs
## Note that some runners chose the Geelong-Queenscliff option and other runners ran to Drysdale and back again!

I then adjourned to Drysdale Train Station for a couple of hours where myself and Kev learnt a lot about rail history in Victoria.(and even some old Tassie train photos) Very interesting.

We then saw Peter Gray and David Jones coem through the 48km mark at 6h 20m, with Peter five minutes in front.  Peter and Dave are going to contact me tonight via telephone with final results. I hope they find the 2 frogs on their dashboard's!

Thanks to Everyone for competing. I think we can build on it for future years. I will insitgate a complete "report your time by phone" system next year, AKA the Sydney Fat Ass Mob. This will enable me to compete myself instead of being completely bored sitting in the car!  We may alter the date slightly next year, but that will be decided by the end of the Year!!!

"If you build it, they shall come"

Thanks

Phil

#3 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:34 PM

Ultra result:

1st  Dave Jones    8h 41m
2nd  Peter Gray   9h 9m 36s!

Thanks Gents!

Phil

#4 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

Well done Phil. I'm glad that your hard work paid off.

Well done also to all the competitors.

Cheers,

Dave

#5 Stu Mac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:05 AM

Excellent report and a job well done.

Stu

#6 Pasty

CoolRunner Admin

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:58 AM

Well done Phil, wished I could have been out there.

#7 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:02 AM

My mood was not overly cheery when I awaoke early on a freezing cold and wet morning.  Consequently, I dozed off again and ended up leaving Melbourne quite late and wondering how on Earth I got roped into being at this run.  I was almost written off by a moron cab driver in the dark hours of the morning before finally hitting the Westgate Freeway to be confronted with a huge billboard reading "Stronger, Longer, Donger"..."Improve your sex life". Honestly, what sort of society can allow something like that to be displayed in public. I wondered how some poor dad would answer the inquisitive questions of his young children as they drove by!!

Roared down the Geelong road realising that I had forgotten to pack my running shoes and a fresh towel. Arrived at the start to see the field of runners vanishing in the distance.  Still icy cold and very windy. Drove on to the Queenscliff end making a toilet visit on the way.  Ran back along the course [in street shoes] for 8-9km until Lee Troop and friends came past, then turned around and returned to Queenscliff. Stayed around until all the 32k runners finished then our two 64km runners arrived and headed of for the return journey.

I was frozen solid by this stage and spent quite a while warming up at the open fire on the railway station. Dived into my nice warm car and headed back to Drysdale station until David and Peter came past [48km] then headed home.

All in all, a good day out and I enjoyed my short run exploring a new trail.  Gutsy effort to all who turned up in such shocking winter weather.

#8 MikeIafeta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:20 AM

Congrats Phil, KC and to all those who braved the FREEZING elements this morning to participart. A great report to read.

Well done to all!

Cheers - Mike

#9 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:53 AM

Phil and Kevin, thanks heaps for organising a great run. The course was great and seemed to be relatively protected from the elements making for good running even on an ordinary day.

I look forward to next years event (preferably earlier than 2 weeks before GCM) and highly recommend it to all others looking for a good no frills run. Also if choosing the 32km run, running one way to Queenscliff is a great option if you can organise a ride back. The last half of the run is even better than the first.

#10 GaryO

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

Great report, Phil, & congratulations to you & KC on the successful inaugural running of the BRT. It was great that Troopy made the effort.  That should give the event more kudos for future runnings.

Thanks for your report too, BDC.  It was great to get the views from a runner about the course being protected & getting better in the second half.  That's very useful info to have.

#11 Obi-Wan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:19 PM

Phil,

A great effort in organising this event and well done to all those who competed.