The 2006 Lamington ClassicO'Reilly's to Binna Burra and return(2 X 22.5km)

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#1 Digger

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

As part of the organisation for the race, I have been trying to piece together the history of the race.

Via Len Don, I have sourced race results from 1970 to 1988.

If anybody else has some results, race reports etc which will help fill in some more gaps, please forward them to me.

If you can't scan them, then mail them to me at:

P.O.Box 4044
Eight Mile Plains 4113

Thank-you

Bruce Hargreaves

Just a reminder, this years run will be on the 26th/27th August, and all being well, entry forms etc will be available
next week.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 robware

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the update Digger.  

It's good to get confimation the race will be going ahead again this year - you count me in for running both ways.

Since the overall winner is the person with the fastest combined time over 45km, is this classed as an ultra?

Rob

#3 run67

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

Digger,

Seeing that it is going from O'Riellys to Binna-Burra and return does that mean we will be able to stay in the cabins / safari tents?

Rob wont this be a bit short for you?  :blink:

Edited by run67, 29 June 2006 - 08:36 AM.

#4 Pagie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

View Postrun67, on Jun 28 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

Rob wont this be a bit short for you?  :blink:

Not if he run's both ways each day...  :)

Rob - maybe you could run down from Brissie on the day as a warm up..?  :D

#5 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

I've pre-booked some of the Safari tents, and some of us will go up on Friday PM, and make 2 nights of it.

As the tents have 4 Beds, (1D, 2S), if you have a group of 4, and want to book your own, the link is here

#6 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

The entry forms have been emailed to those on my list(I hope), but you can download and entry form and other stuff from here.

Sorry, but you will need to use a cheque book and snail mail to enter.

#7 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

View PostPagie, on Jun 29 2006, 10:07 AM, said:

View Postrun67, on Jun 28 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

Rob wont this be a bit short for you?  :)

Not if he run's both ways each day...  :D

Rob - maybe you could run down from Brissie on the day as a warm up..?  :blink:
Well, then he'd be at the wrong end on Sunday, so he'd have to run the race, then do the course both ways, in order to run it in the right direction the next day.  Unless he wanted to use the return as a warm down, sleep at the wrong end, and then run to the start line as a nice warm up...

(Yes Rob, we know how you train, and we all think you're nutso, but it's only because we're jealous. And yes, I did confuse myself writing it, so no reader has any chance of making sense of it.)

#8 Pagie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

Yes, Rob is president of the Nutbag Runners Club - Dave Waugh is Secretary...  :blink:

#9 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

More about the Lamington Classic, for those who haven't done it:

Its a 22.5k run from O'Reillys to Binna Burra on Saturday, stay overnight at Binna Burra and evening meal together, then return Sunday. So its a very social weekend but not too far to travel from Brizzie or Gold Coast - you can get back in time to finish a few odd jobs Sunday. Transport between ends and accomodation is all taken care of - see entry. Its also a fairly informal event so not expensive.

The run is on the Border Track within Lamington National Park and is well maintained, signposted and there's not much climb. Its in true rainforest so sheltered from the worst weather by the tall trees. It is a trail though so can get slippery if wet so grippy shoes are an advantage.

In my view Lamington is as good as trail running gets - highly recommended.

Note that the Parks and Wildlife Service currently limits entries to 50, so its first in first served.

#10 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

One year, I will not have to work that weekend, and will be able to run it. One year, surely. Damn work!

I ran at Binna Burra in January and it was cool and beautiful even in the middle of the day.  Fantastic place to race! If you want some pictures, look here (although it's slow today).

I think those photos are mostly from the finish line so here are some photos of when I went hiking in the area.

And if that's not enough, check out the EPA/QPWS site.

Now you've got all the pics you need to convince you that it's a good idea to do this race!

#11 penny b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

Its a great race. Hubby and I did it last year and we'll be there again for sure. Cheque is in the mail. Suggest to everyone to rug up, it was freezing last year.....certainly not much incentive for hanging around enjoying views en route!!!and the Sunday run will be tough but SPECTACULAR.
It is a great social week end, lots of recovery time around a fire while you rehydrate with friends.
Good to see there is a both ways trophy for females this year (thanks Digger........last year was my only chance!!!!!!!)

Looking forward to it

#12 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:06 AM

Two more neat photos from a run last year in Lamington National Park can be found here, including a bright blue crab guarding the track!!

http://www.coolrunni...allery/Unsorted

#13 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

View PostGreg_Waite, on Jul 14 2006, 08:06 AM, said:

Two more neat photos from a run last year in Lamington National Park can be found here, including a bright blue crab guarding the track!!

http://www.coolrunni...allery/Unsorted

That's not a crab, you tool, it's a crayfish!

#14 penny b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

Uh oh.............have just decided to run Warrumbungle marathon the week end before Lamington Classic so we will be stiff, sore, slow and social that week end but in true Woddenbong spirit, we will be there!

#15 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

Penny B, I'll be even more impressed if you can back up a third weekend in a row for an ultra at Glasshouse on 02 Sep  :blink: teehee!

#16 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

Penny,

Isn't the Warrumbungles on the 29th July, like 4 weeks before Lamington?

#17 penny b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostDigger, on Jul 16 2006, 01:39 AM, said:

Penny,

Isn't the Warrumbungles on the 29th July, like 4 weeks before Lamington?

Yes Digger, I've realised I've stuffed up my dates giving me only one week end before Warrumbungles................uh oh................but lots of time to recover before Lamington.

Digger, just wondering if you are "slumming it" with us all in the basic tents or if you are wimping out and going secretly upmarket???? Has been done before!!!!

#18 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

Digger, how many River City Runners have we got heading down?

#19 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

Penny,

I'm open to offers if you can work out what to do with NB and LSW, and my Credit card is still current.

But I maybe out of my depth with a girl who can run a sub 3-30 Marathon at the GC.

TG,

RCR can't give us firm Nos for C2S, how do you expect them to know what they are doing 2 weeks later!

#20 penny b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:30 AM

Digger....................shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not expecting Warrumbungles to be sub 3:30 thats for sure)

#21 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

The following is a brief history of the Lamington National Classic - note those winning times, over 20% better than last year - now there's a challenge:

Lamington National Classic is a special event within Queensland running, having an unusually long history dating back to 1970, and of course the outstanding setting of Lamington National Park in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Although the 22.5km race is relatively hard, few runners who have seen the course would deny that this is one of the rest running areas in the region. The cool atmosphere and almost total shade throughout the forest make for a most enjoyable run, even when racing. Runners can really enjoy the freedom from crowded roads and pathways as it is possible to be within 100m of another runner yet not see them for several kilometres.

The first race was held from Binna Burra to O’Reilly’s and in succeeding years the race was run in alternate directions until 1977, when the current tradition of starting at Binna Burra on the Saturday and returning from O’Reilly’s on the Sunday began.

This two day run is now known as the Lamington National Classic, and the starting point continues to alternate each year, so overnight accommodation changes annually.  The run from Binna Burra to O’Reilly’s is known as the Bernard O’Reilly Memorial and the run from O’Reilly’s to Binna Burra is known as the Arthur Groom Memorial, in memory of two men who did much to bring recognition to this beautiful area.

From O’Reilly’s at a height of 910 metres, the Border Track winds mainly uphill and along the Queensland New South Wales border to the highest point in the run, Mount Bithongabel at 1,160m. From there it is a steady downhill run to Binna Burra at an elevation of 730m, so this year the “easier” day with a net fall in elevation comes first.

Many of the top runners in Queensland have competed over the years and the course records for O’Reilly’s to Binna Burra are held by Gary Briggs, 1979, 1:20:41 and Nicole Carroll, 1995, 1:34:33 and for Binna Burra to O’Reilly’s by Peter Mylne, 1985, 1:21:40 and Nicole Carroll, 1995, 1:36:18.

Early Saturday on the 26th of August, runners and their supporters gather at Canungra to arrange transport for themselves to O’Reilly’s and their gear to Binna Burra. Negotiations ensue and it all magically works out, then we head up to O’Reilly’s for a 10.00am start.

Although the track is well signposted for walkers, runners have been known to pass signs at high speed, take a wrong turn and run substantial extra distances. These days runners all receive a map and briefing, so hopefully there will be no more calls from an un-named person who once found themselves in the valley below. Runners are also reminded about national parks etiquette and being considerate when approaching and passing day walkers.

Drinks and lunch are held on the lawn at Binna Burra lodge, with a dinner and trophies presented in the evening at the Café. On the Sunday a slightly smaller field enjoys the return run and final presentations for day two and the overall trophies are held at O’Reilly’s.

#22 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

I just noticed that the Canungra Show is again on the same weekend as Lamington, for family of runners. Its on the Saturday, which is when we gather at Canungra anyway to arrange lifts, gear etc so works in well.
Can't find anything on the web other than the listing below but its bound to be worth a visit:
------------------------------------------------
26 August 2006 - Canungra Show
Canungra A.H. & I. Society: 07 5543 4369
------------------------------------------------

#23 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

Greg, while the Canungra show sounds interesting, I'm personally more annoyed about missing out on the Outpost Cafe!  (Yes, I have to work that weekend, the true pain of it is we're at Canungra training area!)

#24 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

We now have a confirmed permit from Qld Parks and Wildlife in the post, and conditions have not changed from last year - entries remain limited to 50 but at least we're approved. I will also be staying down at Binna Burra Friday to Sunday two weeks before the race, if anyone is looking for company on a few trail runs.

#25 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

1-We now have the race permit, so its only an Natural Disaster which can stop the race proceeding.

2-The entries are coming in daily, but we still have over 20 places left(before our limit of 50 is reached).

3-Although we will accept entries on Raceday(providing we don't exceed 50 runners), what the entry form didn't clearly explain was that the "accomodation package @ $30/night/person", has to be finalized by Wednesday 2nd August 2006.

So if you are planning to use this accomodation which we have arranged, then please email me in the next 24 Hours, because after the 2nd, we cannot assure you that we will still be able to get anymore(but we may be able to)

bruceh@mymarathonclub.com

#26 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

OK, this is the state of play:

Start Spots still available=15+

Bed Spots=10

Our special guest Dr Andy Semple has confirmed that he will be at Binna Burra with us.

Andy, who is now 80years old, is a former Race Director, and founder of what is now the BRRC.

Besides presenting this years Trophy's, he will give us an insight to the History of the race, and his involvement with the race over the years.

Its not too late to enter, but it maybe if you leave it TOO LATE!

#27 Vegie-girl

Who says Nothing is impossible? Been doin it all my life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

My entry was mailed today (27th only as I am working on Saturday).  The suggested time had me worried -  I am very slow.  Perhaps if there is a sweeper I might be swept off my feet?   :(

#28 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

What time does the return run start on Sunday morning?

#29 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

View PostDavo, on Aug 14 2006, 03:41 AM, said:

What time does the return run start on Sunday morning?

In answer to my own question, the slower runners will leave at 8.30 a.m. (that'll be Vegie and me at least  :( ) and the main group at 9 a.m.

#30 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

Have just spent 3 days at Binna Burra so feeling very spoilt - 10 hours walking, 3 hours running, cups of tea on the gas cooker, shame I had to leave... Can recommend Dave's Creek walk if you haven't done it, colourful heath and great views.

The border track is in great condition for running, quite dry. The signage is excellent for those worried about wrong turns with all the track options - if it doesn't say Border Track - Binna Burra/Green Mountains, you should have looked more carefully at the previous sign!

For those coming down for the race, remember that national parks are a bit different for running - because of the high quality of bush and birdlife, there are plenty of walkers including older people. Do give them a word of warning as you approach, and if you don't see any sign of recognition (runners too are off in their own little world sometimes...) slow down to a walk as you pass. A collision at speed can be nasty.

#31 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

I've talked to a few people considering a single day run. You can do this by turning up at Canungra Saturday with a support person and car - we can give you a lift to the start at O'Reillys while your friend/partner drives to Binna Burra for a walk and to collect you. I believe we still have some places left (50 limit) - Digger will provide an update this soon.

They may also be interested in the Canungra show. Its on the Saturday - I still have vivid memories of the "wild cow milking" from a few years back. If you've never seen someone dragged through the mud while holding on to a cow's tail, this is your chance. They also have a puppet show, Noah's farm, children's band, wine tasting, clown, mouse circus, whip cracking, fireworks....

#32 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

Message left for organisers by Christine for 2 x 1 day + dinner - can't make out phone number, please ring again at 3225 1093 work, Greg.

#33 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

It OK,

I've Found Christine.

#34 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

]9 Days to go!

We haven't reached our 50 runner limit yet, so please email me your intention the Run.

Dr Andy Semple, former runner and Race Director, has agreed to be our special guest, and present some of our trophy's.

Andy, may even be coaxed, to tell some of his own tales, not only about the race, but his running days in the 1950's, when as a "Miler", he was involved with Sydney T & F

Look forward to seeing you there

]9 Days to go!

We haven't reached our 50 runner limit yet, so please email me your intention the Run.

Dr Andy Semple, former runner and Race Director, has agreed to be our special guest, and present some of our trophy's.

Andy, may even be coaxed, to tell some of his own tales, not only about the race, but his running days in the 1950's, when as a "Miler", he was involved with Sydney T & F

Look forward to seeing you there

#35 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

Its now four(4) Days to go, and we do still have some spots left under the "50 starter rule" for late entry's, so if you are still thinking of running, email me ASAP.

Here are the "Almost Final Instructions", and as promised earlier, we have the "Most complicated Logistics know to Running", but if you are running, please read them carefully, and follow the guidelines which best suit your circumstances.

Instructions for the
Lamington Classic

Please read this carefully, as the logistics are complicated, and if you don’t understand them ASK, otherwise;

1. You’ll be at the wrong resort at race start.
2. Your car will be in the wrong place when you want to drive it.
3. Your bedding will not be with you when it’s time to sleep.

And if any of the above happens, RACE MANAGEMENT CANNOT HELP YOU!

So please choose the appropriate option from below, and FOLLOW IT!

OPTION A - People running both ways, who DON’T HAVE A NON-RUNNING DRIVER.

1. Meet at Canungra at 8AM
2. We will take your overnight gear to Binna Burra
3. You will need to drive your car to the Saturday morning start at O’Reilly’s, and leave it there overnight.
4. We may also ask you to take some runners in your car from Canungra to O’Reilly’s
5. On the Sunday, we will take your overnight gear from Binna Burra, back to O’Reilly’s by car.
Any gear taken to O’Reilly’s on Saturday morning must be either LEFT THERE overnight, or CARRIED BY YOU IN THE RUN!

OPTION B - People running both ways (or Saturday only), who HAVE A NON-RUNNING DRIVER.

1. Meet at Canungra at 8AM
2. We will organize to transport YOU to the race start at O’Reilly’s
3. Your car, and non-running driver should then go to Binna Burra, and await the race finish.
4. REMEMBER, the driving time from Canungra to O’Reilly’s is about 1 hr, so if your Non-Running driver chooses to go to O’Reilly’s for the race start, this is at least an extra 2 hours driving, and not many people can watch the start, and drive to the finish before the runners get there.
5. Any gear taken to O’Reilly’s on Saturday morning, must be either LEFT THERE overnight, or CARRIED BY YOU IN THE RUN!
6. On the Sunday, your non-running driver, will have to take your car from Binna Burra to O’Reilly’s

OPTION C - People Running Saturday ONLY, without a Non-Running Driver.

Either:
1-Be at the Binna Burra camping ground by 7-15AM, and leave your car there, and we will transport you to the start at O’Reilly’s
Or
2- Be at  Canungra by 8AM, and leave your car there, and we will transport you to the start at O’Reilly’s. If you take this option, we will drive you down from Binna Burra to your car on Saturday afternoon - BUT IT WILL HAVE TO BE AT OUR CONVENIENCE

OPTION D - People running Sunday only

WE CANNOT HELP YOU WITH YOUR VEHICLE LOGISTICS.

-You must be at Binna Burra for the race start at 8-30AM.

-How you get there, and how you get either back to your car, or how you get your car to O’Reilly’s is for you to work out.

We would suggest that you bring a non-running driver to look after your vehicle.

WHAT TO BRING IF YOU ARE STAYING OVERNIGHT IN THE RACE-ORGANISED ACCOMMODATION

Sleeping Bag
Pillow
Eating utensils
Cup, plate, bowl
Towel, toiletries etc
A torch
Saturday’s Race Details

1. We start at O’Reilly’s at 10AM, in waves of 5 runners, at 5 min intervals.
2. We run the BORDER TRACK to Binna Burra.
3. The only track markings are the Park signs like these:

Sorry, but graphics didn't print

4. You must READ EACH SIGN AT EACH TRACK JUNCTION, or you might get LOST!
5. When a sign says “Binna Burra 15.1km”, it is referring to the camping ground.   The RACE FINISH is at the lodge/resort, which is about 1km further, so 15.1km should be interpreted as 16.1km!!
6. The turn-off to the Resort, is the 1st turn LEFT, down the hill from the carpark, once you clear the forest at the Binna Burra end.
7. The finish line is on the lawn at the rear of the resort, so once you run up the road (which is a significant hill), you run to the RIGHT of the Portico entrance to the Lodge on a walkway. We will place some chalk arrows in this area.
8. The 1st runners are expected at about 11-30AM.
9. There are NO DRINK STOPS,  OR RELIABLE WATER ON THE TRACK, so you will need to CARRY either a water bottle or CAMELBAK!
10. A creek, about 7km from Binna Burra may have water, but sometimes it’s dry!
A light lunch is provided for the runners, but a donation of $10 is required for non-runners.   Please email us if you have a non-running partner who will be having lunch with us.

#36 Vegie-girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

Is there a list of entries?

#37 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

Yes.

and your on it :huh:

#38 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

By special request, the short version of the instructions:

"Run both ways! Be at Canungra by 8.00am Saturday! Have your overnight gear in a pack & we'll take it to the finish." - that's all I ever understood in first years!

Otherwise, Read the LONG VERSION! :huh:

#39 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

And the Starters are;

[attachment=64:attachment]

#40 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

Here are some maps which will help.

They have been scanned from the "Hema Maps" , 1:35,000 map entitled "Lamington National Park", but I recommend that you buy your own, for $7-95, at most good map shops.

Failing that, you should at least print and laminate, the 'Border Track" scan, and carry it with you, as it may help you, if you become lost!
[size=12]

Here are some maps which will help.

They have been scanned from the "Hema Maps" , 1:35,000 map entitled "Lamington National Park", but I recommend that you buy your own, for $7-95, at most good map shops.

Failing that, you should at least print and laminate, the 'Border Track" scan, and carry it with you, as it may help you, if you become lost!
[size=12]

#41 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

Sorry, but the files were too big to upload.

I've emailed them to everybody, but some government scanners have held them, and won't deliver them. If you haven't got the maps via email, then email me, a Non-Government email address.

#42 Vegie-girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

I had been questioning this weekend's run because of some logistical hurdles (getting transport back to Binna Burra) but news this morning that my boss' Dad passed away means that everything has been thrown into chaos.  I will likely spend Sunday helping out with funeral arrangements.  A very sad time for all.

Maybe next year I can have a shot at it . . . by then I might be ready for the full monty.  
I hope everyone has a great day out in this beautiful part of the country.

#43 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

Here is the full Gold Coast forecast  for the next few days;

just click

Up at Lamington, it will be a few degrees cooler, but with no clouds on Saturday, expect a "Hot Run".

Sunday, maybe better, with some cloud cover.

Remember, there are NO DRINK STOPS, so please bring a water bottle or camel back.

See you tomorrow.

#44 penny b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

It was a fantastic week end of running up in the rainforest. So sad you couldn't make it vegie-girl, but yes, work on doing both directions next year and you'll love it.

The weather was absolutely perfect for running and the clouds held off so we had spectacular views from along the escarpment. I'd forgotten how hard it is nimble hopping along the rocky sections so it certainly isn't a race you want to worry too much about times and speed. For us it was all about the social side of things and we really had a great time. Digger was well organised and herded us off into our dormitories whilst he stocked the fridges. Binna Burra is a fantastic place to stay and both the lunchtime sandwiches and dinner were top class, absolutely delicious. Being a bit of a pig I'd say the 'pollo con fungi'(or something like that) was the highlight of my week end..........and the running was sensational !

Lovely to see lots of familiar faces and to meet new friends, a very international field we were. Well done to everyone and the challenge is out next year to win the teams trophy from River City, Neil and I are going to do some recruiting.

Thanks Digger, Marilyn, Greg, sweepers,track officials,binna burra and o'reillys and everyone who transported us or our gear. My legs are a tad stiff today!!!

#45 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

I'm still recovering, and I have got to do some work sometime today :huh:

Nick has loaded up some 'Social Photos', here

We'll add some captions later, but they are in the following sequence:

1st Group=Socializing in the "Common Areas" in and around the Saturday night accommodation at the Binna Burra "Bunkhouse", on Saturday afternoon, after the 1st stage of the run.

2nd Group=Dinner Saturday Night at the Binna Burra Teahouse

3rd Group=Sunday's Presentations at O'Reilly's Guesthouse.

When we get a chance, we'll load up some "Running Photos"

#46 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

I only ran the one day but thoroughly enjoyed my run with Lady Jove and - later on - Greg the sweeper.
I'll definitely be back next year to do both legs.
A special thanks from me to Run 67 and Karisma who took me back to Canungra, and then Arnstein & Lady Jove who took me from there back to BB.
I'll repay you the debt some time.

#47 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

While we thought we were having a tough week-end at "Lamington", Kelvin, was having a seriously tough time in France at the "Trans Gaulle".

When on Saturday, I saw and SMS from a +33 phone number, I ignored it till today, because I thought, any one in Europe could wait until Monday for my answer.

It was Kelvin wishing the "Lamington Runners" all the best for the week-end! :huh:

How tough is the man!

He is in a foreign country, with no support crew, injured, running about 60km a day in what appears to be the toughest stage race in the world, holding his position in the top seven, and occassionally rallying an attack, and in his spare time, sends "His best wishes to us!" ;)

Kel,

Sorry I didn't look at the SMS til this morning, we are all thinking of you and following your progress, and I look forward to buying you a beer in "The Transport", after the Melbourne Marathon, where you can tell tales of this epic race/adventure.
[size=12]

#48 runna74

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

This was a great race! The hills weren't too steep, just long! Not a PB course, but a great long, hard run in some of the best terrain you will ever want to find. I'll try not to get lost next year :huh:

#49 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

Great weekend. The two things which have stayed most in my mind are
1. how much fun having everyone together for breakfast, lunch, dinner AND runs - hope those pre-6 foot track training weekends we've been talking about can provide more of the same
2. how awful the last 300m of ashphalt into O'Reillys feels after 22k on soft trails...

#50 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:53 AM

Here are the results, which I'll have to upload in stages.

[attachment=89:attachment] [attachment=90:attachment]