82 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

I know there is a lot of focus on other races at the moment, but I have just realised Willy to Billy is now four weeks away.  I will be there again this year, hoping for a PB.  Any other CRs lining up again or making their debut?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Run 2 Become

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

:( Seriously considering it :(

#3 langswm

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

We're toying with the idea of doing it, Bernie, this year for the first time. Same weekend as the Adelaide Marathon so havent been able to do it yet, but obviously not the case for us this year. Hear it is a great race. How does the actual trail and gradient compare to 6 Foot? That might swing our decision one way or another.

#4 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

Great reminder - Thanks Bernie.

I sent my entry in today for my W2B debut. Really looking forward to this one as I have had it down on my calendar since last year. A bit of a taste of what to expect from 6ft I guess.  :(

#5 Amjan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

I'll be there, also hoping for a pb (and to squash all memories of last year). This is my second favourite race after six foot.  Beautiful views, great trails, nice firies, free local produce (mostly apple-related) at the end. Langswm - the trail and gradient are a lot easier than six foot (although there are a few short, sharp hills) and I think it is compulsory than you and Langswd attend.

#6 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm possibly a starter for this one.  It sounds like a great event - pity it is the same weekend as the Lake Mac 1/2 Mara.....will have to think abt which wld provide better training for the Sydney Marathon.

#7 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

I've been looking at this race on the website for a while now and thinking it would be a great one to do.

I'd love to do this one year - although I'm not sure about this year as I ran my first marathon at GC in July and don't know whether I should even be considering something like this run as well so soon afterwards.  But I will keep thinking about it - is there a cut off in terms of time?

Happy running everyone
K1

#8 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

View PostTuttle, on Jul 27 2006, 05:17 PM, said:

I'm possibly a starter for this one.  It sounds like a great event - pity it is the same weekend as the Lake Mac 1/2 Mara.....will have to think abt which wld provide better training for the Sydney Marathon.

Tuttle,

I would think that a nice hilly 35km trail run would be better preparation for Sydney than a flat half marathon.

View PostKoala1, on Jul 27 2006, 10:07 PM, said:

I've been looking at this race on the website for a while now and thinking it would be a great one to do.

I'd love to do this one year - although I'm not sure about this year as I ran my first marathon at GC in July and don't know whether I should even be considering something like this run as well so soon afterwards.  But I will keep thinking about it - is there a cut off in terms of time?

Happy running everyone
K1

Koala1,

Just treat it as a nice day out on the trails. It is a very low key race with some lovely scenery. There is no cutoff times to worry about. Take as long as you want.

#9 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

I was looking for somewhere to go for my second week of annual leave and it now looks like the Blue Mountains might be a good idea  :(  (Spending my first week at Kangaroo Valley to get in some training for the Fat Ass Pub to Pub !!)

Does anyone know if they accept entries on the day? I checked the website but didnt see anything. I just want to make sure I get in enough trail running before I decide to enter and I wouldnt mind checking it out and walking it before I decide to enter.

#10 Aunty K

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reminder Bernie!

I just received my entry in the mail & thought I may as well run this one too as a casual long run with friends.
ssshhh.... don't let my coach find out  :(

Cheers, AK :(

#11 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Did I hear a rumour that you'll be doing this after backing up from the Wagga Wagga marathon the week before? Gutsy effort Aunty K.   :(

#12 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

View PostHorrie, on Jul 27 2006, 12:13 PM, said:

Tuttle,

I would think that a nice hilly 35km trail run would be better preparation for Sydney than a flat half marathon.

I feared someone might say that!  But it is probably sound advice - thanks, Horrie.

Cheers/Chris

#13 Aunty K

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

View PostUncle Dave, on Jul 27 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

Did I hear a rumour that you'll be doing this after backing up from the Wagga Wagga marathon the week before? Gutsy effort Aunty K.   :(

sshhhh.... it's a secret  :(

AK

#14 Running Nicho

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

I'm certainly in for it but the big problem is with no car and something on on the friday night I was wondering if there was anyone from newcastle interested in travelling there on the day.  It would be willing to chip in for petrol money if someone was willing to give me a lift.

Nicho

#15 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

View Postlangswm, on Jul 27 2006, 12:18 AM, said:

Hear it is a great race. How does the actual trail and gradient compare to 6 Foot? That might swing our decision one way or another.

Langswm,

If Gold Coast Marathon course = 0
and
Six Foot Track course = 10
then
Mt Wilson 2 Bilpin course would come in at about a 7 or 8.

As a running surface, the off-road section makes up the majority of the course. It's a mix of good wide 4WD fire trail and walking track, which narrows down to single file in a few brief sections. There's also about 4-5 km of bitumen road. Overall it would be classed as good.

I'll be there for my third W2B. It's a great event. Very civilised; runners can brace themselves against the usual chilly start with free damper/cake and tea or coffee. Sarge & I will again be assisting rehydration at  the finish, with something a tad stronger. :(

Blue Dog. :(

Edited by Blue Dog, 01 August 2006 - 02:01 PM.

#16 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hello,

Well, I've decided I'm definately in.   As Horrie suggested, I'm just going to treat it as a nice day out on the trails.

I have some questions though as a first timer on this course. Does anyone have an elevation profile of the course and are there many rivers to cross?  I'm also wondering if trail shoes are a must (especially after all this rain) or if I can get by in my road runners?  Whilst I have trail shoes, they aren't as comfy for running long distance as my nimbus are.

I'm also assuming the course is well marked, but just curious to know if its easy to miss the markers and take a wrong turn?  Do we need to bring maps of the route?

Anyway, I'm now getting quite excited about the run and its not that far away either!  The only thing I have left to do is find a place to stay and I'm all set.

Hope to see lots of CRs out there on the trail, although I suspect most of you will be much faster than me.

Happy running everyone
K1

#17 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Koala1, the course is very well marked and you couldn't get lost. There is a single file trail for a couple of kms but again, it is well marked. As for your shoes, you don't need trail shoes for this run as the running surface is pretty good. There are no rivers to cross so your shoes don't get as bashed around as they do at 6 Foot Track.

#18 Will

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:49 AM

I'm in. I will take it easy and I just want to finish under 4:30 to qualify for next year 6 foot track.

This will be my second W2B, the first one being 11 years ago during the first edition of the race. I don't remember much (I was only 16), just that it was very scenic.

Just wondering, how long does it take to drive there (with a slow car)?

#19 Shell

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that the last 6 or so k's are all uphill!

Tip - start conservatively. Last year I took it easy at the start and had enough left in the tank to run all the hills at the end, overtaking lots of tired walkers.  :(

#20 Bighats

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Starting to get quite pumped for this one... training has been cruising along quite nicely for this race... although I think I need to squeeze in a few more hill sessions...

Just wanted to know what are the hills comparable to??? (can you tell this is my first time  :( ) Have taken a look at the profile of the course located here and it seem as though I should be bringing some rockclimbing shoes for the vertical ascents....

#21 Shell

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

View PostBighats, on Aug 6 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

Starting to get quite pumped for this one... training has been cruising along quite nicely for this race... although I think I need to squeeze in a few more hill sessions...

Just wanted to know what are the hills comparable to??? (can you tell this is my first time  :( ) Have taken a look at the profile of the course located here and it seem as though I should be bringing some rockclimbing shoes for the vertical ascents....

i'm not sure what to compare the hills to, but I remember some are quite steep. Steep enough for me to have to walk! They make a film of the race every year and last year they had a video camera near the top of one of these very steep hills and embarrasingly I was filmed walking! As soon as I saw the camera I had to start running!  :(

The uphill section at the end goes on and on, but it's not too steep.

#22 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Horrie - thats good to know - especially good to know I can't get lost.

Interesting to see the elevation profile as well - its not as much uphill as I thought, but some of those hills do look pretty steep!  Ah well, I'm only out for a nice day on the trails, so if I have to walk the ups, well thats fine.

If anyone else is on for a nice gentle, sedate run over the trails,  I'll be the one in the CR singlet (if it gets warm enough to show it!!) and the R4YL cap towards the back of the group, so see you out there.

#23 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

There are 3 or 4 nasty steep hills early in the run that reduce more than half of the field to a walk. The longest of these would be about 200 - 300 metres.

The long climb at the end of the run is really not that steep, just continuous; for about 6km. Quite enjoyable really.

It's a really special event, probably requiring the same effort as a marathon. Even better is being 90% on trails, it doesn't leave you with that marathon-type muscle soreness afterwards.

Jump in at the deep end.

Blue Dog. :(

Edited by Blue Dog, 08 August 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#24 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

OK, I'm in. Only the slower, uglier half of Team Langswm will be competing ("absolutely no interest" was the comment from langswd!).

I'll be travelling up in the morning from Balmain area if anyone needs a lift on the day. Plenty of room in the family Volvo! :(  :(

#25 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

I'm a starter for this one.  It sounds like a great event.

#26 Sarge

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

Third time for me. Watch the hill at the end, it can be nasty if you haven't saved some energy. :(

#27 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Ok ,a bit of a hijack... for those wimps who can't face the W2B, there is the option of cheering on the finishers at Bilpin on the Saturday and then cruising up to Mudgee for the half or full marathon the next morning.  A lovely certifed course through the vineyards, with plenty of time to enjoy some of the local produce  afterwards....

Disclosure:  yep, I am running the Mudgee half; yep, I measured the courses; yep, my cousin is organising it; and yep, I am a wimp for not running both W2B and Mudgee (thought I would get in before Blue Dog pointed that fact out ... :(

#28 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

I am still really quite sure what I am letting myself in for, but my entry is in. see you all on the bus, and at the finish line at the top of the final undulation :(

#29 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

View Postlangswm, on Aug 8 2006, 01:58 PM, said:

I'll be travelling up in the morning from Balmain area if anyone needs a lift on the day. Plenty of room in the family Volvo! :(  :(

Is the offer still going langswm? I'd be keen to car pool and contribute petrol money.

#30 sailaway

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:04 PM

I have also been toying with the idea of doing this run for some years now and have finally made up the mind that now is as good as ever.

Thinking about it, not sure why it took so long. :(

#31 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:08 AM

I am running and expecting to go ok ...for the first 29k

#32 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Unfortunately I won't be running W2B this year.  Good luck to all those running, I will be thinking of you and probably wishing I was there.

#33 Will

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

Four days to go! :huh:

Weather forecast (for Katoomba, closest I could find):

Mostly cloudy with the chance of a shower in the morning.
6 C | 19 C

#34 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

Yes...good bump Will.

Looking forward to this one. Had a look at the course profile and it doesn't look too bad. Even more of a downhill course than the 6FT! :huh:

I'll have Orunner and Grandpa on board, but still a couple of spots left in the Inner West Volvo bus, if anyone needs a lift. Still don't know what time we're leaving yet (Dave?). Presumably around 6.00am to get to Bilpin by about 7.30am for the bus to the start.

#35 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

View PostWill, on Aug 22 2006, 03:51 PM, said:

Four days to go! :huh:

Weather forecast (for Katoomba, closest I could find):

Mostly cloudy with the chance of a shower in the morning.
6 C | 19 C

Not sure if you have Katoomba there Will.
The weather station at Mt Boyce 1080m ASL reads:

Saturday

Frost then sunny
2C - 11C

#36 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

Frost????!!!!!!!  I think I prefer Wills forecast!!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this run - hope to see some of you up there.  

I think I'm going straight up to the start at Mt Wilson rather than catching the bus from Bilpin.  We're staying in Blackheath so it makes sense and my partner will then drive down to the end at Bilpin to meet me.

Anyway, heres to a fun weekend - even if it is frosty!!!!!

#37 Piriformis

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

"It's a really special event, probably requiring the same effort as a marathon."

Thanks for scaring the #*&@! out of me, Blue Dog!  :huh:

I was hoping to get through it with significantly less than marathon preparation.

#38 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'll be there, running. cya.

#39 wazza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

This is my favourite run and this year I'm looking to finally coming out on top!!

Thought I'd done so last year but died on the uphill between the second hill drink station and the main road

Whatever the outcome, this is always a great run with fantastic scenery and atmosphere

#40 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

Nine of us Ba-Thirst Runners will be there although not in our new shirts/singlets as there a few weeks away. Wait till we unleash them.

It will be heat wave conditions for us. Recent Saturday moring runs have started in minus 4 conditions.

The Apple Bar in Bilpin is a great spot. Excellent food & Coopers on tap. Chatted to the great Uncle Doug Mulray dining there recently.

#41 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

Day off work with flu virus today. Was really looking forward to this. Now just crossing fingers I'm fronting the start line come Saturday.

#42 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

Getting close now.

I'll be expecting tro enjoy this a little more than usual, aiming at about a three hour run.

A solid hit-out as final prep for Glasshouse, definitely not 'racing.' Rule one - stay upright, don't get injured!

That means a little more time to enjoy this fabulous course.

See yuz' there, Blue Dog. :huh:

#43 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

Getting excited now! Not quite sure what to expect for this one. I'm told 3.10-3.20 should be about right, so I'm hoping that I still have some sort of base left after GCM. Just need to keep an ear out for the pitter-patter of Amjan's feet, as I'm sure she will come storming home a la 6FT.

Looks like we might have a bit of rain to contend with. Should be cool at least!

#44 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

Just reading the Emma Murray interview from the other thread and it said she would be staying in the USA till Monday. So no title defence.

Is Sue Kelly back for another crack after her 2nd last year?

#45 Mango

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Unfortunately won't be there in either a running or cheering capacity but good luck to everyone competing and may the sun gods smile upon you.

I look forward to reading the race reports.  :huh:

#46 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

Good luck everyone - I'm heading up tomorrow, so probably won't check this thread again until after the run.

I'm only out for a gentle run up hill and down dale, so am looking forward to a nice relaxing run through the hills.  I'll certainly be enjoying the scenery en route - if I had a camera light enough to run with, I would take it with me, but unfortunately I don't have one.

See ys there!

#47 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

Good luck & have fun to everyone running tomorrow. I'm looking forward to joining in the fun next year  :huh:

#48 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

Really looking forward to this run now!

The drive up should be as much fun, travelling with what I believe are 3 Willy to Billy first timers. By the time we get there, I'm sure I'll have them convinced that the final climb makes Pluviometer seem like a small crest  :huh:

#49 Will

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Really looking forward to the run as well! But also to the steack sandwich and the fresh refreshment at the end that everyone has been talking about...

#50 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

The willy to billy is a great race with a growing history (I ran in the very first one!)
In some ways it is similar to the Six Foot Track Marathon, and we often advise Margaret from Willy to Billy on all sorts of issues, especially as it is a fundraiser for the RFS in the Blue Mtns also.

Last year we announced that Willy-Billy would be a qualifying race for Six Foot if you run faster than 4hs 30mins.

This year we will presenting 3 free entrys to the 2007 Six Foot Track Marathon - one for overall male winner, one for overall female winner and one to the last runner that qualifies under 4hs 30mins (ie something for the fast people to aim at and something for the not-so-fast to aim at).