Coastal Classic 7 Jan 2007Who's planning on entering??

• You cannot reply to this topic
262 replies to this topic

#1 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

As the Coastal Classic is now only 8 weeks away  :)  just thought I would open a thread to see who is intending on running this one.

Also, if anyone who has previously entered could share some tips for the event such as:

* What sort of a run/walk strategy worked? e.g. I've heard of walk 1 lap for every 7 run, or walk 5 min for   every 30 run
* What sort of foods worked well?
* Did you have to prepare for the run being held over night?
* Are there any particular dangers or things to watch out for from constantly running on flat around in circles for 12 hours? (besides getting dizzy)
* How did you convince a friend/family member that its not a crazy idea and lap scoring will be heaps of fun for them   :)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi Becky - answers to all of your questions and more here:

http://twopennysblog...ost-mortem.html

I did this in Jan this year as my first longish run and recorded just about everything for posterity and for Tesso who was having her debut at Caboolture a few weeks later - her blog entries from after that would be of interest to you too.

Cheers, 2P

#3 Tesso

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi Becky

I was lucky that 2P did his 12 hour the month before I did mine as his blog info was invaluable  :)  .

If you scroll down in my Feb blog entries you'll find a bit about the build up, the race, and the aftermath.  Reading through it will be good practice in staying awake  :)  .

#4 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

Unfortuantely this event is a week befor eI move town and move jobs!  Wont be able to make it this year!  Shame!...but gives me more time to build up to Coburg!

Phil

#5 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Have only done this race once and the main thing i recall was the way you wore a track on the grass, meant that it was not very level at all as you basically created potholes. Can also be very humid at night (strangely moreso than during the day), but certainly this is a good intro to the "Dark Side" (Ultra running).
Can't say i have any great tips as i had pretty ordinary run there that year.

Edited by Kelvin, 13 November 2006 - 08:36 PM.

#6 omni

Central Coast Mariners Supporting CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Cerain people have convinced me that this will be a good rce for me to do, I will enter, and I will suck, but I will at the very least pass 50km and then hopefully get on to 75km and beyond but we'll see how it goes. I just want to stay out on the track for the full 12hrs.

Edited by omni, 11 November 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#7 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

View PostBecky O, on Nov 11 2006, 01:38 PM, said:

As the Coastal Classic is now only 8 weeks away  :)  just thought I would open a thread to see who is intending on running this one.

Also, if anyone who has previously entered could share some tips for the event such as:

* What sort of a run/walk strategy worked? e.g. I've heard of walk 1 lap for every 7 run, or walk 5 min for   every 30 run
* What sort of foods worked well?
* Did you have to prepare for the run being held over night?
* Are there any particular dangers or things to watch out for from constantly running on flat around in circles for 12 hours? (besides getting dizzy)
* How did you convince a friend/family member that its not a crazy idea and lap scoring will be heaps of fun for them   :)

Hey Becky O,

Public disclosure I am one of the co-founders of the Classic.

There is an amazing gambit of things people do that works for them and they may or may not work for you.

Uncle Dave cut his ultra teeth on this event. He can tell you how not to race it.  It took him a few years to come back. When he did he won and set the current race record.

We have one competitor who has smoke breaks. Not recommended! However having said that the person has done over 100km in 12 hours and is a regular in the event.

Music [i]plays
a part in a lot of the runners/ walkers. Eye of the tiger or motivational music not lullabys.

Some people like to interact with their crew or / and fellow competitors.

Food and drink like most things try before the night/week/month. Some like fruit (Bob Fickel brings some from the markets up to Gosford and shares). GU and the like gels some have. Most people have combos.

I am a bad example, I have had pizza one year, sausage sandwichs another year. Lindt chocolate balls, redskin lollies. Killer pythons. Chinese special fried rice. As I said I am probaly a bad example.

If you can do some late night and early morning runs/walks you have got the hardest hours covered.

Run / walk during event is quite common. Except for the walkers!  Eating and drinking is easier when you are walking. Of course fast and other people seem to be able to eat / drink when running however they do slow down to do this. Try it in training what walk / run combo works for you.

A trick of the trade in a lap event is to warn your support crew/ person / victim what you want at least a lap in advance. That way it is ready for you when you require / request it. How do you get a crew person? Con them or bribe them. How do convince them it is fun, etc? Lie.

Let your lapscorer know when you leave and return to the track if you have a break. No need to do unrecorded laps. Know who your lapscorer is and get their attention when you pass.

Wear gators they will stop the grass from getting into your shoes. It may not be a great look but works for me and the others like Carol Baird another of our regulars.

Feel free to pm or email me for any further questions on Classic.

View PostUltraphil, on Nov 11 2006, 06:04 PM, said:

Unfortuantely this event is a week befor eI move town and move jobs!  Wont be able to make it this year!  Shame!...but gives me more time to build up to Coburg!

Phil

Phil you are not moving on the Classic weekend. So I expect to see you there!!!!

View PostKelvin, on Nov 11 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

Have only done this race once and the main thing i recall was the way you wore a track on the grass, meant that it was not very level at all as you basically created potholes. Can also be very humid at night (strangely moreso than during the day), but certainly this is a good into to the "Dark Side" (Ultra running).
Can't say i have any great tips as i had pretty ordinary run there that year.

Kelvin, too many ultra / marathons for you. Agree we wear a noticable track but not potholes.

Like any grass athletics track being used for an extended period there will be wear and tear.

You did okay the year you competed but you probaly got your taper wrong.

#8 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

I will be a starter and am really looking forward to it. I have fond memories of this Adcock track, having done several 8x400m sessions with the King there well over a decade ago.

I was glad to see that:
a) the race will be at night (phew, as it is in January which can be hot)
:) runers get to chance direction every couple of hours

Arms

#9 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:01 PM

I wish Thomo. i wish!   but wouldnt be fair on family!

Phil

#10 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

View PostKelvin, on Nov 11 2006, 06:12 PM, said:

Have only done this race once and the main thing i recall was the way you wore a track on the grass, meant that it was not very level at all as you basically created potholes. Can also be very humid at night (strangely moreso than during the day), but certainly this is a good into to the "Dark Side" (Ultra running).
OK, the grass track is not smooth, but I found it a lot easier on feet and legs than a synthetic track. You work a little harder to cover the distance, and you may go just a little slower, but I think there is less chance of sore legs, feet or blisters troubling you during the event.
Regarding relative humidity, as a general pattern, it increases at night, but itís better than absorbing radiant energy from a scorching sun during the day.
For anyone that doesnít know the location, itís quite handy for anyone flying in from another state, the Sydney airport train links at Central with a train to Gosford, then you have about a 2k walk to the venue.  There are showers on site, and there was a sausage sizzle breakfast this year. Because you are running all night, you donít have to have a motel. I flew down from NQ on the Saturday, got to three figures in the 12 hrs and returned to Townsville on the Sunday, that helped keep expenses low.
I slept very well on Sunday night.  :)

#11 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

I did this event this year as an intro into the dark side. The benefits are you are only 400m away from your fuel at any time, you don't have to worry about getting lost or having to worry about getting to the next check point. You also have contact with the entire field throughout the entire event, even if they are 20km ahead or 20km behind. You are never on your own. You can pull off the track at any time to have a rest. The atmosphere of the night is great as a few of the crews turn it into a bit of a party with music playing and a few drinks. As for fuel, just like any ultra, you have to eat and drink regularly to sustain the effort required to run for 12 hours.

#12 CoolwalkerDavid

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Location:west of Sydney - east of the Mountains - North of Penrith

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

I wish I had read 2P and Tesso's stories before I tried my first 12 hour in Adelaide. Great reading guys !!!!

Anyway - I hope for two things - no three - a) to be injury free by Mid December when I will enter - b} to convince Mrs Newborn that as 2P's family loved it she will - c) to walk approx 82kms in the 12hrs and not have massive blisters like in Adelaide - and d)  ok four things - to have whatever it is I do judged to be walking.

Becky the other aspects have been answered amazingly well already - but re this travelling in circles business - I was not fully prepared for this but I did try one 12 lap work out the week before and discovered absolutely nothing from this. All I can say is that the change of direction is a highlight and there are 2 straights as well as the curves. But you do not get dizzy - if you do it is most likely dehydration *grin*

all the best and hope to see you there
David

#13 MPH

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Horrie/2P, how do you think running 100K affected you for 6ft?

I'd be keen to give this a crack, but I'm sure there will be some expense at my 6ft crack, although it didn't seem to hurt Barnie too much I guess but considering my longest run to date has been 45K I guess it would affect me more.

Edited by MPH, 13 November 2006 - 03:10 PM.

#14 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

Yes, I should say thanks to 2P and Tesso for guiding me to their blog reports. They were great. I sat there like a nerd on the weekend, taking notes and plotting what I need to do  :)

Looking forward to this being my first adventure into ultra's. I just hope its a bit further than 42.3  :)

#15 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

View PostMPH, on Nov 13 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

I'd be keen to give this a crack, but I'm sure there will be some expense at my 6ft crack, although it didn't seem to hurt Barnie too much I guess but considering my longest run to date has been 45K I guess it would affect me more.

Actually MPH - your namesake was a DNS earlier this year - be funny if there were 2 of you in '07  :)

But to answer your question:

My view is that it didn't affect my performance at all and contributed to a better time than I otherwise would have achieved at 6ft.

I did have an ITB issue leading into 6ft but I am reasonably certain this was due to a rapid significant increase in steep trail running in training but there may have been an accumulative affect (?) dunno. In the end I fronted for 6ft (carrying inury) and was 19 mins faster than the previous year finishing in 6.02 but before the ITB (started about 3 wks out from 6') I was extremely confident of a 5.30 to 5.45 finish - I was in (for me) great shape.

My training diary shows me that this years Classic was on the 8th and by the 15th I was running pain free and back to my usual training pace. By the 29th I set my 2 laps of Quarry Rd PB with each split faster than the previous at the tail end of a week where I had run over a mile in vertical height AND covered my greatest number of weekly training km's ever.

How this would work for you is anyones guess, I reckon you'll only know with hindsight - I know So Lucky did the double too maybe he would like to comment as well as Horrie.

A couple of points:

- Whilst I pulled up sore after the 12 hour I wasn't as sore as after any of my 4 Six Foot campaigns.

- I really worked hard on nursing myself through the 12 hour and was fastidious with my nutrition/hydration and regular 1 min walk breaks etc mainly because 1) I hadn't really prepared for it (I had only average about 50k per week for the 3 months leading in and nothing for the previous 3 months) and 2) I didn't want it to negatively affect my 6ft performance

- I only managed 93.4k not 100

Hope that helps you make your decision Martin.

I still haven't made up my mind whether I want to come and play this year.

Cheers, 2P :)

Edit: You said it didn't seem to hurt Barnie.... he might not have agreed with that at about 3:00am during the event :)

2nd Edit: My longest run leading into it was a 30k hilly trail run in 3hrs & 45mins the Friday-week before (ok so I didn't taper - but my weekly mileage didn't warrant it) and I had never been beyond 45k previously before either.

3rd Edit: The confidence I took out of this event may have been misplaced but even injured I found myself saying - "yeah Six Foot that's only about 5 or 6 hours worth - piece of cake". It's a confidence that sustains me still.

Edited by Twopennys, 13 November 2006 - 04:51 PM.

#16 MPH

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

Great reply 2P, thanks very much, helped a lot. :)

I'll be giving it some serious thought, I'm thinking it's either 12 hours on the track or 10 hours up at Bogong.

#17 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

View PostTwopennys, on Nov 13 2006, 04:04 PM, said:

View PostMPH, on Nov 13 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

How this would work for you is anyones guess, I reckon you'll only know with hindsight - I know So Lucky did the double too maybe he would like to comment as well as Horrie.

One advantage of the Coastal Classic 12hr and 6 FT double in that order, is that you are less likely to suffer any tendon or muscle strains on the grass track at Gosford, hopefully leaving you uninjured for the Blue Mountains instalment. However, just from my viewpoint, after setting up for the track run in January 2006, I wasnít able to do as much hill work as I should have done before March. Result? Quad cramps started earlier than usual on Black Range.
I am susceptible to attacks of the cramp bear on hill work, but it is not a problem for everybody, and I know other runners who donít need as much specific event training as I do.
I think that many runners who have trained up properly for 6FT, could handle the two runs well, particularly so for MPH who has already done well on the trail to Jenolan.
Gosford is a good venue, and running through the night and watching the sky lighten as dawn approaches, is a top experience.
2P, Iíve pencilled in 6FT for sure and maybe Canberra for 2007, no way I could do the treble.

#18 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Firstly Thomo, you are right they aren't potholes we make, just felt like it at the time  :) , was not trying to paint a negative picture but my main memory was of back pain, i think the truth is (as per my post on yesterdays Six Hour race), some people are more suited to lap races than others, fear i need to be pointed in a straight line.
Regarding the 100K, Six Foot double, personally find 2 months is plenty of time to recover, with 102.573 K's there and a 4:27:11 at Six Foot in 2003 (pretty much my standard Six Foot time though i'll admit i haven't really been satisfied there since 1996).
Kelvin

#19 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hey Guys,

It is only a few weeks to go for the 12 hour Coastal Classic.

Look forward seeing new and old faces on the night/ morning.

For those wanting a taste of the dark side come along and have a look.

Any help on the night/ morning woud be greatly appreciated.

We are always looking for lapscorers. Spare an hour or two. Love to see you.

Sat-Sun 6-7 Jan COASTAL CLASSIC 12 HOUR TRACK RUN & WALK
7.30pm start. ADCOCK PARK, Pacific Highway West Gosford, NSW. This will be our 10th Year. Our track is grass and is 400 metres fully surveyed. The facility has men's & women's toilets and showers. It's a 20 minute walk from Gosford Train Station. Travelling time by vehicle or train is 1 hour 20 minutes north of Sydney. Random lucky draw prizes. Trophies to Male & Female winners. Certificates & results sheets to every participant. Proceeds to go to Victor Chang Heart Institute & Gosford Athletics Inc. fostering athletics. Contact Frank Overton (02) 4323-1710 (ah) or mobile 0419 234 334 or foverton@gmail.com or Paul Thompson (02) 9686-9200 (ah) or mobile 0412-250-995 or thomo@zeta.org.au Entries close 29 December 2006.  contact: Paul Thompson. email: thomo@zeta.org.au. Click here for an entryform.  

Any questions, thoughts send me a email or phone the above numbers.

Attached Files

#20 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:55 AM

Belinda and I are heading up for the Classic. As she will be running this year, we need a lap scorer. Anybody interested in coming up and seeing what people find so interesting about running around in circles for 12 hours interested in volunteering, we'd love to hear from you.

#21 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:37 AM

Thomo,

I shall put a plug up for lapscorers tonight on PUM!

Phil

#22 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:43 AM

View PostUltraphil, on Dec 7 2006, 08:37 AM, said:

Thomo,

I shall put a plug up for lapscorers tonight on PUM!
Phil

Thank you.

I guess moving day hasn't changed :o

#23 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

I will be entering as well and will probably be looking for a lapscorer, part of the time maybe.
I went last year to lap score. It's a good way to get a close look at this type of event, if you are considering doing your first one at a later date.

#24 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

Going to send my entry off today. Training has been going well, a little interupted by the CC half with the race and tapering but everything is back on schedule this weekend.

My work colleagues think I'm a big party pooper because I am saying no to the mountain of Christmas parties that seem to be cropping up at the moment.

#25 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

View PostHorrie, on Dec 7 2006, 06:55 AM, said:

Anybody interested in coming up and seeing what people find so interesting about running around in circles for 12 hours interested in volunteering, we'd love to hear from you.
Horrie, I've sent you an email  :o

#26 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

It looks like I will be a starter this year. Each year I receive an Entry Form (from a year when I entered and had a DNS) but am usually away on holidays. This year I will not be away and thought it would be a good idea to keep Horrie and the Sportsman company - besides some of the 55+ records look a bit soft ... in my dreams. :o

#27 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

View PostEagle, on Dec 7 2006, 01:50 PM, said:

It looks like I will be a starter this year. Each year I receive an Entry Form (from a year when I entered and had a DNS) but am usually away on holidays. This year I will not be away and thought it would be a good idea to keep Horrie and the Sportsman company - besides some of the 55+ records look a bit soft ... in my dreams. :o

We thought if we could wear down your resistance you would finally enter again :)

Look forward to catching up with you.

Edited by thomo, 07 December 2006 - 10:49 PM.

#28 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

The opportunity has arisen and I am looking forward to the event that has always attracted me.

#29 fat bloke

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

i am planning on a trip down from brissie with the family subject to new baby arriving safe and well.

i will look forward to catching up with some familiar faces.

horrie how do you fancy looking after my fat little family......................yeh running 12 hours would be the easy way out :o

hope to see a few of you in jan

#30 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

At this very early stage I do not have lap scorer and I don't think that will change. Closer to the event I will put my hand up to see if there is anyone foolish enough who wishes to enjoy the pleasure of staying up all night watching runners slowly circling the track and wishes to volunteer. :o

#31 Will

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

I have already sent a PM to Horrie, but if he doesn't need my help, I'd be happy to volunteer for any CR running.

#32 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

Will :
Sounds like an offer I will take you up on. Will I see you at the next SMC half? I expect the K Bus will be in service and running to a sub 100 schedule. :o

#33 Barney

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hi All

I'll be back again at the 12hr. I have been counting the weeks down since this year's one, and cannot wait to have another crack at this race. Having done a few 6Fts and Trailwalkers, I still rate the 12hr race my hardest to date. It is a really tough race mentally.

MPH, I have done the 12hr, 6FT combo, and don't think it has impacted me...in fact the last two years I have had PBs at the 6FT.  I find the 12hr race does not hurt anywhere near as much physically as the 6FT, thus I get back into normal training pretty quickly.

Only 4 weeks to go!

#34 john stevens

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:37 AM

Sean Williams will win this,and a new race record even a AUSSIE record.....Sean Williams will break all ultra records over the next 5years........... :o

Edited by john stevens, 10 December 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#35 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

Is ARMS and Sean Williams one in the same person?

#36 john stevens

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

think about it...... :o

#37 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

View Postjohn stevens, on Dec 10 2006, 03:33 PM, said:

think about it...... :o

John, a question for you.

If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

#38 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Although John's just talking 'fly', I'd like to say that while the race record could fall on any given year, the Aussie 12hr record is one that is very creditable.

To be honest, even if Lee Troop or any of the current crop of Aussie elite marathoners were to have a crack at it, I wouldn't exactly lay my house on them getting it.

What's more, it was actually Yiannis' 12hr split in his world 24hr record if I'm not mistaken.

Yours in the long run,

Unc

#39 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

View PostUncle Dave, on Dec 10 2006, 04:01 PM, said:

Although John's just talking 'fly', I'd like to say that while the race record could fall on any given year, the Aussie 12hr record is one that is very creditable.

To be honest, even if Lee Troop or any of the current crop of Aussie elite marathoners were to have a crack at it, I wouldn't exactly lay my house on them getting it.

What's more, it was actually Yiannis' 12hr split in his world 24hr record if I'm not mistaken.

Yours in the long run,

Unc

To put it in to perspective Yiannis' ran 3.8199052132701421800947867298578 marathons within 12hrs.

Edited by thomo, 10 December 2006 - 03:34 PM.

#40 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Yiannis always slows down in second half, can't produce negative splits,
slacker :o

#41 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

More on 12 hr track run performances.

An article from Runner's World July 2003 Australian edition

Yiannis Kouros in 2002- 12hr track, Mexico City 154km

Mexico City is 2240 metres above sea level and not to mention the pollution level.

I would like to see the marathon stars do 3.6492890995260663507109004739336 marathons in 12 hours in Mexico City :o

Edited by thomo, 10 December 2006 - 09:46 PM.

#42 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

Must be his crew not feeding him properly eh Rudi?

#43 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:30 AM

too much greek music on the Gosford track.
Time to change the tune.

#44 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:44 AM

Highjack is over, everyone is safe :o

View Postthomo, on Dec 7 2006, 07:46 AM, said:

Hey Guys,

It is only a few weeks to go for the 12 hour Coastal Classic.

Look forward seeing new and old faces on the night/ morning.

For those wanting a taste of the dark side come along and have a look.

Any help on the night/ morning woud be greatly appreciated.

We are always looking for lapscorers. Spare an hour or two. Love to see you.

Sat-Sun 6-7 Jan COASTAL CLASSIC 12 HOUR TRACK RUN & WALK
7.30pm start. ADCOCK PARK, Pacific Highway West Gosford, NSW. This will be our 10th Year. Our track is grass and is 400 metres fully surveyed. The facility has men's & women's toilets and showers. It's a 20 minute walk from Gosford Train Station. Travelling time by vehicle or train is 1 hour 20 minutes north of Sydney. Random lucky draw prizes. Trophies to Male & Female winners. Certificates & results sheets to every participant. Proceeds to go to Victor Chang Heart Institute & Gosford Athletics Inc. fostering athletics. Contact Frank Overton (02) 4323-1710 (ah) or mobile 0419 234 334 or foverton@gmail.com or Paul Thompson (02) 9686-9200 (ah) or mobile 0412-250-995 or thomo@zeta.org.au Entries close 29 December 2006.  contact: Paul Thompson. email: thomo@zeta.org.au. Click here for an entryform.  

Any questions, thoughts send me a email or phone the above numbers.

Attached Files

Edited by thomo, 11 December 2006 - 06:47 AM.

#45 Will

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

View PostEagle, on Dec 8 2006, 02:45 PM, said:

Will :
Sounds like an offer I will take you up on. Will I see you at the next SMC half? I expect the K Bus will be in service and running to a sub 100 schedule. :o

Eagle:
No problem. I sent you a pm.
(I won't be there at the Smc)

#46 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:51 AM

Hey Guys,

There has been a change to who to make out cheques to.

Could people please make out cheques to "Coastal Classic Event"

Frank Overton & I (co-founders are looking forward to seeing everyone on the night).

A little background about Frank Overton, he was the first Australian Racewalker to walk fifty 50km race walks.

His aim was to be come a centurion. He dragged me along for the ride.

He made several valiant attempts. Gaining experience.

The idea of the classic came from this.

Unfortunately, Frank is not able to compete anymore due to double knee replacements.

This has not dulled his enthusiasm for the Classic.

I am pretty sure he walks further than I do on the night :o

Attached Files

#47 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

The Classic is getting closer.

Hope people's preparation has been going well.

The rain that we have had recently had will feshen up our track and hopefully the countryside.

Look forward to seeing people on the night.

Edited by thomo, 20 December 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#48 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

With the cancellation of Bogong I am pretty likely to front up for this instead.

#49 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

My entry was sent earlier in the week. It is my first time for such an event and so should be a good liitle challenge. I agree Mr G because of the cancellation of Bogong then there maybe a few extra entries. If there are a greater number of runners then it shouldn't get too lonely on the track.

#50 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

2 questions.
- Are you allowed to put a tent up beside the track?
- If from interstate are lapscorers provided?