How Long To Recover After Giving Blood?

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_judo_*

• Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

Hi all

Just a quick question about giving blood. I have a couple of races coming up 2 weeks from now as was considering giving blood tomorrow. Does anybody know if this would hinder performance or would everything be back to normal in 2 weeks time?

Thanks JUDO

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

Judo, if you are going to give blood tomorrow then you have to be prepared that it may affect your performance in 2 weeks time. You are not going to be at your peak in 2 weeks after giving blood. Red Cross will only let you give blood approximately every 3 months because this is how long they anticipate your body being able to replenish the lost blood.

I hope this helps.

#3 Matt21

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

The three months the Blood Bank allow for is on the very very safe side.  Ultra conservative.  I asked the same question last year and got a good well justified answer of three weeks. The reason why I asked was that I stupidly gave blood about three weeks prior to Melbourne Marathon last year. I definitely felt a bit flat for a few weeks but seemed to recover fully just in time.  

But, the advice that I got was that there is a potential upside to giving blood if you are able to time it just right.  This was that after giving blood, the increase in capacity after the donation overshoots your standard baseline for a short time before going back to the normal level.

In answer to the question, I would not be giving blood twoweeks before important races.

Matt

#4 TRAVY

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:55 AM

Yer , what Horrie said. But when I gave blood regular , I would leave the blood donation  centre and go and play comp squash and feel o.k. I am not saying that is right or good for you. I am just saying what can be done.  Keep up the fluids , stay off the grog . But plan to be a bit flat if racing 2 weeks out from blood donation.

#5 Guest_judo_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:05 AM

Thanks you guys, i think i will take the risk and go and give! The advice is really appreciated.

JUDO

#6 chookrunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

A lot of people claim to feel a distinct benefit shortly after giving blood as the process of replenishment kicks in. For me there was a time when I felt great after donating, but I wasn't running much in those days. I would think 2 - 3 weeks would be OK

#7 Kato

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

Judo

I'm sure your donation will be really appreciated too.  I used to donate through the apheresis unit, every two weeks, which has no adverse effects; but nowadays I donate at suburban whole blood donormobiles and figure that, for me, there's no sheepstations at stake.

Good on you, and other donors, for putting other people's health before what is essentially a leisure activity.

#8 Emma100

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

I'm a slow runner. I tend to feel a bit flat for about 3 days after a donation, but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and I'm back to normal after a week. (which is still slow!)

Good on you for considering donating. I am a regular donor for personal reasons. (someone I love had their life saved by the kindness of a donar)

#9 stuey

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Concur with Emma100, I'm generally sluggish for 3 days and then seem to be back to normal. Keep up the fluids, Guiness is good for replenishing iron. My 3yo daughter is getting platelets right now (takes about 6 blood donations to make a dose of them). Any minor inconvenience caused by a blood donation is insignificant compared to the potential benefits.

#10 MFL3

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

Fluid intake and replenishment is crucial, before and after donating whole blood.  Plenty of rest before and after is also important - I find that recovery is slower if I run on the morning of donating, even if I keep up rehydrate properly.

I try to donate whole blood every 3 months and became a plasma donor (apparently I'm in an almost rare category of being an 'ideal' plasma and platelet donor).   I find that I'm not as tired after plasma donations as I am after whole blood donations.  I guess this is understandable since they only take the plasma then pump the blood back in after the separation process (hence the 2-3 week frequency of plasma donations).

You may find yourself feeling a bit weird and light-headed for a cuople of days after your whole blood donation, but it won't be for long.  I usually feel flat for about a week after donating but haven't suffered any long term effects.

Edited by MFL3, 14 November 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#11 Runblue6

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Wow, what a great resource coolrunning is. I'm back into the swing of donating blood regularly, but was wondering how that was going to impact on my plan to run a marathon in every State and Territory this year (one down so far, Canberra in a couple of weeks). I was about to kick off a new topic and then stopped myself - someone's bound to have asked this questions before ... and yes, of course they had. And all the advice was just brilliant. So thanks.

#12 SlimDJ

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

See if you can change over to plasma - I do it once a month and it has no effect on my training.

#13 mulga

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

View PostRunblue6, on Mar 28 2008, 11:18 AM, said:

Wow, what a great resource coolrunning is. I'm back into the swing of donating blood regularly, but was wondering how that was going to impact on my plan to run a marathon in every State and Territory this year (one down so far, Canberra in a couple of weeks). I was about to kick off a new topic and then stopped myself - someone's bound to have asked this questions before ... and yes, of course they had. And all the advice was just brilliant. So thanks.

2nd'd runblue. this site is truely amazing, this topic and the input from members a typical example. personally i ran before giving blood and they struggled to find the vein which normally gives them a wink.

thanks CR contributors for insight, stories, wit and perspective.

:LOL: