• You cannot reply to this topic
990 replies to this topic

#1 AmayaTora

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

Because this is so popular on the USA Cool Running site, and because I can't find anything like this on the OZ site, here is some information and a great way to keep up with peoples progress for the C25K:

For you new runners, here is what the Couch-to-5K plan is all about!
http://www.coolrunni...2/2_3/181.shtml

And here's the link to Robert Ullrey's podcasts:
http://www.ullreys.c...age4/page4.html

Be sure to check in here after every run this week!!! You must check in here weekly at least!!! Don't let us down!!!

1.) What week/day are you on?
2.) Are you repeating a week?
3.) How do you feel?
4.) Will you move on next week?
5.) Tell us your thoughts.
6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover?

Tora

1.) What week/day are you on? W1 D3

2.) Are you repeating a week? No

3.) How do you feel? Great, bit sore in the calves

4.) Will you move on next week? yes

5.) Tell us your thoughts. I need to get a bit better at stretching and icing my calves after a run.

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Nope

Edited by AmayaTora, 28 February 2007 - 12:14 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 fergusonroyal

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

1.) What week/day are you on? W5 D3

3.) How do you feel? Cannot believe how well this works

5.) Tell us your thoughts. The ullrey podcast is a MUST. My wife is also going to start this week!!!

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? No WAY!!!!

#3 Emma100

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm a very slow runner (ok fast walker) who is trying to take the step up to running. My goal for this year is to get a 30 minute 5km run under my belt. My times for that were in the close order of 45 mins.
I bought myself an ipod sports for Christmas, to give instant feedback.

Week 5, day 3.

No. I have been able to finish each week, with an improvement in speed.

3.) How do you feel?
Fantastic. Today, I did a kilometer in 7 minutes, 22 seconds, which is a huge improvement for me.

Yes.

I'm very pleased with this program, the podcast and the sports kit are really helping. I can see that my speed is increasing, and that the distance I run in 30 minutes is increasing, and that's amazingly motivating.

No, I'm coping well with three runs a week.

Emma

#4 droidy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I thought I might use my first post to de-lurk and post here!  

W4D2 (yesterday)

I have been making the 'weeks' 4 days over a week and a bit.  Not sure why I started doing this, but I think it had something to do with a deliberate effort to slow myself down.

3.) How do you feel?

I'm feeling rather better than I thought I would be!  I'm pulling up fine the day after a run (no soreness), and it's also helping me with tennis (my main/only other? sport).

I may stretch W4 a little longer, just want to make sure the longest run ends up on a Sunday, just in case the next day isn't too good!

The C25K podcasts have been really good for keeping me going!  I'm terrible at actually estimating distances, or estimating time; I go back later and use mapmyrun.com to figure out how far I've been going.  My usual route is about 4.2-4.5km, and depending on the day, I'll either have a little bit of warmdown walk left, or I'll be walking an extra minute or two at the end of the podcast.  That I'm running in the morning definitely helps with my state of awakeness during the day!

I haven't needed to take any extra time off as such to recover; I've been trying to make sure I wake up early enough so I can go for a run/walk, come back and stretch, have a shower, and then head to work.  All those years of PE at school have taught me that stretching is good!

#5 RossBris

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hello All - Extremely New Runner Here - thought I would put my first post into the water! I started the C25K last week and find myself counting the hours till I can run again - so I guess that means it must be working?  Hope its ok to tap this old post just thought I would put my answers up.

Week 1 Day 3
Not Yet
3.) How do you feel?
Fantastic - ankles/shins a bit sore, but thats likely due to cheap shoes and my 110kgs - plus the best I have ever done is run for 30 seconds nonstop so its got to be an adjustment
Definately - I find myself trying to find more days in the week to run
I am amazed at how many people have used the C25K to get moving - amazing more so that it is FREE and the podcasts are FREE.  Was a great motivation for me and helps me to set goals - my immediate goal is to finish it - then try to build up to the Bridge to Brisbane in 2008
Not really - I am just trying to stick to the one day rest - it is tough cause I really wanna keep running.

Anyway everyone, this site is fantastic - I hope to be able to move out of the Beginner forum soon enough but as they say "You have to crawl before you can walk"

Ross...
Brisbane - Northside
I run along the Shorncliffe/Sandgate/Brighton foreshore so any other newbies that run that area I would welcome some company.

#6 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

Well done Ross and all Newbies. I started out with couch to 5k late last year and am now working towards my first half-marathon.

It's really important not to push yourself too much in the early stages, keep it fun, and that will keep your motivation up. I find tracking my statistics as they improve is good motivation too (I use Nike+ system).

Great going, enjoy your new fitness!

#7 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hey Ross,
Congrats on discovering running, and welcome to CR!

Theres loads of helpful stuff on here to keep you on track. You are certainly doing the right thing by making sure you rest.

You might find it a bit easier on your ankles and shins if you stick to softer surfaces (trails or grass), and definitely go to a running store or podiatrist to get the correct shoes for your gait. Would hate to see you get an injury!! But i think we all had an assortment of strange aches and pains initially while the legs get used to their new role.

All the best, keep that enthusiasm up!
PC

#8 macka

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

Nice idea for a thread.

1.) What week/day are you on? Week 8, Day 1 (tomorrow)

2.) Are you repeating a week? I took 5 runs and almost 2 weeks to complete week 7. Up until then I hadn't had a problem sticking to the program.

3.) How do you feel? Pleased about my progress. Shins and knees are a little sore from time to time. When I first started I would get out of breath before noticing any pain in my legs; now I get into a good rhythm with my breathing but my legs feel pretty sore for the last 10 minutes of a run. I feel good though, and more motivated than I ever have been before.

4.) Will you move on next week? Probably - I will move on once I have done 3 x 28 min runs. It might be next week, or if it takes a few extra runs, so be it.

5.) Tell us your thoughts. This program got me from absolutely no dedicated exercise to 3 sessions per week. A success!

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Not usually, though I needed an extra day or two in weeks 5 and 7. I run on Mon, Wed, and Fri at the moment and usually take the weekend off (but am looking to start tennis on Sundays).

Edited by macka, 06 November 2007 - 12:46 PM.

#9 koogie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

My first post!

Okay:

I'm on week 4, day 2

I got as far as week 5, day 2 (I think) then went on holiday for two months (backpacking round Ecuador and Peru - loads of fun).  When I came back I started again on week 4, day 1 as it had been a long time since I'd run.

Good!  I have chronic fatigue, and I feel a LOT better on the days I exercise.

Yes, I'll be moving on next week unless I crash in the meantime.

I'm really loving this.  I have dodgy knees but with proper shoes, stretching, custom orthotics and running on grass or track (I live next to Centennial Park so I'm very lucky in that respect) my knees are holding up very well.  I'm proud of you knees!

Nope, running three times a week.  I try to do some resistance training a couple of times a week too.

Thanks for listening..

:LOL:

Oh, I'm running really slowly at the moment - not much faster than a fast walk.  Presumably this will improve?

Edited by koogie, 06 November 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#10 Esstarr

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

View Postkoogie, on Nov 6 2007, 02:27 PM, said:

Oh, I'm running really slowly at the moment - not much faster than a fast walk.  Presumably this will improve?

koogie, when I was in the early stages of couch to 5km a power walker passed me! You will get faster, but it's not important right now.

#11 koogie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostEsstarr, on Nov 6 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

koogie, when I was in the early stages of couch to 5km a power walker passed me! You will get faster, but it's not important right now.

Thanks for the reassurance!

#12 redrosespider

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

My First Post too so here goes,

1: I completed week 2 / 3rd run this morning

2: Are you completing a week?

I did start the C25K about 2 months ago, got to week 4 then got sick so only just started again

3: How do you feel?

I feel fantastic, finding it very hard not to do it every day but know I need to have rest days.
The only other issue I have is that I find the days I do run, I get an ache in my left shoulder/upper arm.  Don't have the ache whilst running, just during the day of the run.

4: Will you move onto next week?  Can't wait!

5: Tell us your thoughts: The Ullrey's podcasts to be a godsend...wouldn't be able to do the runs without these

6: Are you taking extra time off to recover?: No, finding it hard to take a day off inbetween but know I need to

Can't wait to get to next week, week 3

Thanks heaps,

#13 koogie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Update:

1.) What week/day are you on? Wk5 day 3 - I ran for 20 minutes without stopping!  
2.) Are you repeating a week? Nope
3.) How do you feel? Fantastic.  Amazed at how well this works.
4.) Will you move on next week? Ooh yeah.
5.) Tell us your thoughts.  I find the pace this program moves at works perfectly for me.  The start of every week feels like a bit of a jump, but nothing unmanageable.  Then I have time to get used to it before I move on.  I think this program is extremely well designed.
6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? No.

#14 tange

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

first post here and I'm a total newbie to running!

I have always had trouble with susatined cardio endurance being a dancer for half of my life (which is high energy but but with breaks in between - kind of like sprints I guess) I'm hoping running well help with my endurance... and help me keep up with my 4 yr old!

1.) What week/day are you on?  - WK2D1

2.) Are you repeating a week? - not yet

3.) How do you feel? - great! I'm loving the extra energy that a run is giving me.

4.) Will you move on next week? - yes

5.) Tell us your thoughts. - So far so good, which is a big thing for me being that the last time I ran was about 7 years ago and in a gym. The treadmill always gave me shin spints and I dreaded it. Now I'm running in my local park (will hit the streets when I can deal with the hills around my house  ;) ) and it's much better. Almost no pain (or none that I can't deal with).

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Yes sundays. I alternate yoga and pilates on the days in between which I think is helping with the pains, stretching out the muscles seems to be working well for me.

#15 337charlie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hi everyone, I've just started the program - and I'm finding that I'm slowly starting to enjoy getting out and about now.

Here's where I'm at;
1.) What week/day are you on?  Week 2, day 2
2.) Are you repeating a week?    No, I enjoy challenging myself at the moment.
3.) How do you feel?                  Great, although my ankles get a bit sore (never jogged so much ever). May look at some new shoes later on.
4.) Will you move on next week?  Yes, I look forward to the change.
5.) Tell us your thoughts.             I'm surprised that I am enjoying it.  I need a better watch to time the walk/runs.  I would also like to track down a fun run I could do when I finish this program (as a sort of goal to aim for next year).
6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover?   I try and have a day off between each run/walk session.

All in all it feels great to be giving it a go!

Also, it is so good to read how other people are getting on - thanks!

Cheers

#16 mourges

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

Long time lurker, 1st time poster

Week 7 Run 1 (25min solid run).  Not running distance, but time.  Measured a track out using GPS the other day - 2.2km.   I try to do the 2nd lap fast than the first - seems to work so far.  5.68mins/km on average.

Nope - don't plan on it either :-)

3.) How do you feel?
Great - 5kg lost and many more to go!!   Envigorated about the next challenge

Yep - Need to be doing more running as I am entered into the BRW triathlon in March.  Cycling is fine, and working on the swimming.

C25K is a great way to get back into running.   I haven't run for around 10 years and did the Adelaide City to Bay (12km) in around 66 minutes - aiming to beat that!  The Ullery (sp) podcasts are a great way to start.  

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover
Nope - but it ends up being a bit messed up due to work/family/other commitments.   Some days I run first thing in the morning, and then the next day in the evening.   Day of rest always follows.

Any suggestions about next steps to increase my speed/endurance?  I was thinking about continuing to increase distance 10% each week, but is there a smarter way to go about taking the next leap?   As you can see by the Auto sig, I am trying to get to the 14km mark by May.

Adrian

Edited by mourges, 09 December 2007 - 04:07 PM.

#17 knoddie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

View Postmourges, on Dec 9 2007, 02:46 PM, said:

Any suggestions about next steps to increase my speed/endurance?  I was thinking about continuing to increase distance 10% each week, but is there a smarter way to go about taking the next leap?   As you can see by the Auto sig, I am trying to get to the 14km mark by May.

Adrian

I would keep two of the runs to 5k, and then make the third run your long run, increasing that every week. Keep the 5k runs at a reasonable pace, make the long runs as slow as you need to to get to the distance. You still have 18 or 19 weeks till May, so heaps of time. For the long runs, maybe add 1km, and then run it for two weeks (twice), before adding another.

Rob

Edited by knoddie, 09 December 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#18 Joola2

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hello all your C25Kers! I've been working towards 5k since June '07 but don't be appalled, I've loved EVERY second!!

I've been interrupted twice by shin splints but I'm going well now because I ONLY run on grass and am back up to 3.5km this week. Was reminded by PeterHorse msg to increase by only 10% (thanks, forgot that). Now I have the aerobic fitness knoddies advice of a long run and a 2 shorter runs may suit me!?

I just LOVE getting out there - I love the way I feel like I'm floating on air! I love that feeling of achievement! I love that, even though I've never been overweight in my life, that my body has toned and achieved new curves! And best of all, for this time of year, I love the way the flies can't keep up with me!!!

Best of luck everyone and keep going - we can do it (on grass anyway)
Joola

#19 knoddie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

View PostJoola2, on Dec 9 2007, 07:01 PM, said:

Hello all your C25Kers! I've been working towards 5k since June '07 but don't be appalled, I've loved EVERY second!!

Now I have the aerobic fitness knoddies advice of a long run and a 2 shorter runs may suit me!?

Joola, just about all training programs are structured that way. There is usualy just one long run, and the rest of the sessions are shorter. Interestingly I was reading the Run For Your Life mag, and there was an outline of one of our elite marathoner's training regime. He's doing about 12 or so sessions a week, but even some of those are as short as 5k.

Rob

#20 RUNsimoRUN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

1.) What week/day are you on? Week 2 Day 1 (as of tomorrow)

3.) How do you feel? Really good, a lil tired on some days though

4.) Will you move on next week? Yep ! Definatley

5.) Tell us your thoughts. Finding it to be alot easier then i had first thought. Still freaking out of the thought that i will be able to run 5km in 9 weeks.

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Nope ! Walking in b/w the 3 days of running.

** Just waiting for the boyfriend to buy some sexy new running shoes for xmas seeing as the one's i currently run are black and white checkered with pink laces and by a popular brand when we went over to china last year. LOL. My mum has a heart attack when i put them on and run **

#21 mourges

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

View Postknoddie, on Dec 9 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

I would keep two of the runs to 5k, and then make the third run your long run, increasing that every week. Keep the 5k runs at a reasonable pace, make the long runs as slow as you need to to get to the distance. You still have 18 or 19 weeks till May, so heaps of time. For the long runs, maybe add 1km, and then run it for two weeks (twice), before adding another.

Rob

Thanks for the advice Rob - Much appreciated!

#22 Joola2

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Rob, I'll start reading about training regimes. My physio says the shin splints will probably reappear when I get to 10km so it would be nice if I could prove him wrong and he'd be glad to!

#23 mourges

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

Just completed Wk 7 Run 3

Nope

3.) How do you feel?
Got blisters on the arches of my feet this week - think it is the socks, rather than the shoes though.

Yep - Sat morning 28 minutes here we come!

Pretty exciting considering I struggled to run for 60 seconds at the start of this thing!!   Also started listening to my own music versus the podcasts - Am i the only one who wants to play air guitar when Iron Maiden 'Loneliness of a long distance runner' comes on?

Ankle was a bit sore this morning so I decded to give it a couple of days before starting Week 8

#24 Leishie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

View Postmourges, on Dec 13 2007, 07:43 AM, said:

3.) How do you feel?
Got blisters on the arches of my feet this week - think it is the socks, rather than the shoes though.

Try the coolmax socks from Target, I had a problem with blisters until I wore these- they're cheap too!!

#25 mourges

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

View PostLeishie, on Dec 13 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

Try the coolmax socks from Target, I had a problem with blisters until I wore these- they're cheap too!!

Tried those - the 3 pack for $10, but they don't seem to work.   I've got a brand called All Day Socks - they are a bit more padded, and so far so godd.   Also just picked up a pair of Coolmax socks from Kathmandu - 50% off at the moment.  Will report back on them next week.

Did Wk8 run 1 today.  Felt like I could have kept going and git the 30 minute mark.   My goal was to do the 5K before Xmas, so might run around the Albert Park Lake this week before work :-)

#26 Fossil

Keith Bateman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

View PostLeishie, on Dec 13 2007, 02:23 PM, said:

Something must be rubbing there - I have found that certain shoes in the past have had a seam around the arch area and that has given me blisters on the arch, by rubbing each time the shoe bends.

#27 tange

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:19 AM

I just completed 4.1 and I'm amazed I did it! I was a bit scared of the thought of running for 5 mins straight, but I made it through!
How is everyone else going?

#28 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Newbie's New Years Resolution!!

I'm starting the couch to 5km program today and figured I would post it here to keep myself honest and log my progress for all to see. Will try to fall into the Mon/Wed/Fri drill come next week.

Having not run before (like, ever  :) ) I'm starting the program on the treadmill. Mesa has what will hopefully only be a niggling peroneal tendon problem, which, with plenty of attention, can be stretched, massaged and strengthend away.

Keen as mustard to get this show on the road  :D
Catch you next week!

Bugs

#29 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

View PostBugsjuice, on Jan 3 2008, 10:32 AM, said:

Newbie's New Years Resolution!!

I'm starting the couch to 5km program today and figured I would post it here to keep myself honest and log my progress for all to see. Will try to fall into the Mon/Wed/Fri drill come next week.

Having not run before (like, ever  :) ) I'm starting the program on the treadmill. Mesa has what will hopefully only be a niggling peroneal tendon problem, which, with plenty of attention, can be stretched, massaged and strengthend away.

Keen as mustard to get this show on the road  B)
Catch you next week!

Bugs

On ya Bugs.....we'll be right here to keep you honest!
Now get your pointy arse on that treadmill :D

#30 PlodBod

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Welcome to CoolRunning, Bugsjuice.

Good luck with your training programme - look forward to seeing your progress.

Edited by PlodBod, 03 January 2008 - 12:29 PM.

#31 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

Well, it's official - I HAVE STARTED RUNNING!!! :)

PsychoChicken - today at lunchtime I took my pointy luminous arse to the gym and completed Week 1 - Day 1 of the Couch to 5km program; 3.5km in 25mins. I felt fantastic! I did feel every little creak and cringe in my virgin bones, joints and muscles - tis OK though, they're just in shock!

Calves were sore immediately in the upper meaty section (mental note: must read up on anatomy jargon) but made sure I stretch. No peroneal problems thus far... fingers crossed.

Only problem I have to correct - my "transition" - I totally SUCK and getting showered and changed in a hurry (not helped by the fact I went to a new gym, lost my locker and couldn't remember the locker number... :D )

I've also downloaded David Hays running log to track my progress (complicated as it is, but i love stuff like that) and have even convinced my other half to let me bidding on a polar watch to log my heart rate. Plus, I'm keeping a diet diary so I can watch what and when I eat (I'm 98kgs and 192cm tall with a BMI of 26.58 = overweight, hence the NY resolution)

Between this, swimming, spin classes and eventual cycling, I'll be on track for my first sprint tri some time in the not too distant future.

Goals - gotta have 'em.

Bugsjuice

#32 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

On ya BugGuts,
Now make sure you eat, sleep and rest up so you're ready to rock for the next session.
You'll be ready for that tri in no time.

#33 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hi all - here with my weekly post on the C25k program;

Today is/was Week 2 - Day 1

Nope - don't feel I need to, everything seems to be... er, running OK (pardon the pun)

3.) How do you feel?
Feel fantastic - extra energy and I'm less Mr Grumpy and more Mr Happy. I'm finding sleep is easier (though waking up is now harder... go figure)

Definately!

Have to stop myself from wanting to run more than the program stipulates.
Finding my diet is making a sweeping change toward healthier, fuel-efficient food (the KFC aftermath was not nice).
Still finding it hard to get to the gym, change, run, stretch, shower, dress & return in under an hour!
Reading many threads at the moment; technique, food, stretches etc - cant believe how helpful CR's are! it's great to know there is such a wide support base available (esp. to Noobs)

Have made sure I run only every 2nd day and keep Sunday as my day of rest (however - baking the Sunday roast with all the trimmings for 8 doesnt' exactly mean I've got my feet up!)

Bugs  :)

#34 wannabe

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi All,

I just started today on the treadmill.  I hope to make at least one run a week outdoors, it's pretty hilly round these parts, but what's that old saying "What does'nt kill you makes you stronger"? So I hope I get stronger as opposed to dying, hehehe.

As far as running goes, I'm just starting out.  I was a swimmer in my younger days.  Walked to shed post baby poundage which has come back since kicking smokes for the most part. I did jog a bit at swimming camp, when I was thirteen.  I came third in the school cross country after that, but due to running in adidas three stripes (not suitable) I did the ligaments in my knee and passed the zone ticket to my friend.  I mostly walked the 1500m I so stupidly entered another year in high school, me and the school dog came in way last.  That's my illustrious running career.

I'm getting into the running because I've always wanted to do a Tri and well, right now I'd rather run 200m and swim 2km, so that needs to be sorted.

I will come here and update each week on my progress.  

Well done to everyone else too.

Wannabe

#35 kati85

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi all - I'm a newbie, just started the C25k program.. 1st post!

Week 1 Day 2

I've only just started, so nope.

3.) How do you feel?
Great, optimistic, and loving the high that running (ok, a slow jog) gives me.

Yep!

I find it hard to stick to C25k because it's not pushing me enough (does this make sense?) I incorporated a 600m jog into my 1st session, Week 1 Day 1, because it wasn't hard enough.
Should I jump to week 3 or something similar?

Not yet

#36 blair

old, fat and unfit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

View Postkati85, on Jan 15 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

I find it hard to stick to C25k because it's not pushing me enough (does this make sense?) I incorporated a 600m jog into my 1st session, Week 1 Day 1, because it wasn't hard enough.

Hi Kati85. Welcome to Cool Running. I just want to tell you not to be a slave to the program. If you are finding it too easy maybe you need to skip a week or two. Well done for getting started and I hope you stick with it. Let us know how you are going.

#37 getfitfast

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

View Postkati85, on Jan 15 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

Go ahead and ramp up. I actually followed about 3 weeks of the C25K and then mapped by self a 5K route to progress through. Some running and walking - within a few of weeks I was able to run most of it. I walked for the first 2-3 mins.

I like the Ullery podcasts as music to run to - so I did use them through most of my 5K running...

Good luck

#38 wannabe

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

Maybe I should do something simlar, skipping ahead I mean.

I'm not super fit or anything, but I didn't just come off the couch either.

I'll see if I think any of the weeks ahead look a better place to start.

Wannabe

#39 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

View Postkati85, on Jan 15 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

I SO hear you - I feel like I could quite easily break into a canter for the full 20mins, the walk-run-walk-run is really starting to give me irrates  :)

I'm a Noob myself (who has no idea how he's ended up being listed as a CoolRunner already) and am in Week 3 - with Day 1 waiting to be completed. I've tried before to run straight away and that's how I injured myself - so alas, it's wings at program pace for this Bug.

PS - Welcome Kati, keep us posted - especially if you jump ahead.

#40 blair

old, fat and unfit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

View PostBugsjuice, on Jan 15 2008, 03:50 PM, said:

I'm a Noob myself (who has no idea how he's ended up being listed as a CoolRunner already) and am in Week 3 - with Day 1 waiting to be completed. I've tried before to run straight away and that's how I injured myself - so alas, it's wings at program pace for this Bug.

10 posts I think. On the injury thing you obviously need to be careful not to push yourself too hard but I don't see the harm in skipping a week or two if you are not being challenged. Just don't skip too far ahead.

#41 kati85

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

thanks for the messages. I'll see how I go - I ran on Monday and Tuesday so I really shouldn't launch into too much just yet. I certainly intend to keep posting here weekly to let you know of my progress! I was thinking of starting up a blog on here as well, just to keep myself motivated...

#42 thinkpink

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

hi to everyone
I don't have experience to give advice but I didn't know about programme when I started running 3 years ago at 47. Had a 5k walk mapedout so started with walk warm up run as far as I could and walk till got breath and ran again. Not sureif I was just lucky but no injuries sustained. I think i would have got frustrated with the programme but thats my personality. Never read any instructions launch straight into everything and then find out what I should be doing!!!! Even joined a club when I could just manage 5k - someones got to come last!
I will never be fast but I have lots of pb's and the skys my limit. Best of all I have met great people who have similar interests.

#43 wannabe

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

View Postthinkpink, on Jan 16 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

I will never be fast but I have lots of pb's and the skys my limit. Best of all I have met great people who have similar interests.

That is awesome!  What an attitude!  I remember when I was swimming, my coach asked us as a team how everyone did at State Titles.  This was a club full of State Champs and finals makers.  He asked me how I did and I was embarrassed to answer.  He asked how many swims I did and I answered 10, then he asked how many PB's I did and I said "10".  He was so impressed and it wasn't until that moment that I realised it was a great acheivement.  Not State champ by a long shot, but a great acheivement none the less.

I wouldn't have even seen myself doing this six months ago.  So if I can actually get to a point when I can tell people "I jog 5km three times a week", then I'll be stoked.  I may join fun run or something one day, but for now, I'm working on being able to DO the run leg of my first tri.

Wannabe

#44 Tahla

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi - I just found this thread and reading it is so inspiring.  I have just restarted doing the c25k after getting to week three early 2007 and then letting it go, gained some weight, etc.  Anyway, am getting back into it and getting a little obsessed with doing it and reading about it!  I am a complete newbie - have never run, don't really know how to run (I was originally running on my toes!  Wondered why it hurt so much.)

1.) What week/day are you on? W2D3

3.) How do you feel? Great today, very sore muscles in the legs earlier in the week.

5.) Tell us your thoughts. I am terrified each time I start but am stunned each time i finish it.  I am in awe of those who jump straight into it but I have never been a runner and am slightly shocked at the end of each session.

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Nope - I'm probably pushing it at four sessions a week but I need the practice!

Tahla

#45 wannabe

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

Today was supposed to be my last day of Week 1, I decided to jump to Week 2 and it wasn't too bad.  I think while it may be easier running on the tready, it sure is boring.  I'd have loved to have gone out and pounded the pavement, but Hubby was away and can't leave the kids unattended.

HOpefully next week the weather will be kinder to me.

Wannabe

#46 bigunit

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

1st post

Started The c25k this morning  :D
mixed in with martial arts the odd rpm class im sure it will help tone down this 26 year old 6 ft 110kilo frame of mine

Today is/was Week 1 - Day 1

not at this stage  will be moving on up as we go

3.) How do you feel?
feel good a pretty good way to start the day

Yup

cant believe im in here former wieght lifting second row football player running is for wimps  :)

no feel pretty good legs are tired thats about it
will keep logging in for the motivation and inspiration
going to fiji in 9 weeks want to be able to go for a run on the beach with out fear of cardiac arrest

#47 koogie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

1.) What week/day are you on? Week 7, day 3
2.) Are you repeating a week? I only managed to get two runs in last week (week 7) so repeated week 7 again this week.
3.) How do you feel? Good.  Am feeling pretty pleased with myself.
4.) Will you move on next week? Yes, definitely.

Well, I was getting bored running round the inner track in Centennial Park, so today I decided to try a new route round the outskirts.  I was also wearing a HRM with my heart rate showing to stop myself checking my time all the time.  Long story short, I got a bit lost, kept running and running, then had no choice but to keep running or I would have been late for an appointment.  I ended up doing 45 minutes without stopping!

I am very pleased with myself.  Previously I had been struggling to run 25 minutes without stopping, and sometimes had to stop for a minute to stretch.  I think that was basically boredom.  So, in future, I will be running by distance not time, and will leave my watch at home.

Also, I started doing some weight training this week, and it seems to already be helping strengthen my legs - they carried me well today, whereas they have often been wobbly underneath me in the past.

6.) Are you taking extra time off to recover? Nope, I try to run Monday Wednesday and Friday.

#48 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi  :) The wheels fell off the wagon last week - far too much work and not enough commitment saw me only run once last week. Bad Bad Bad.

Back to it again this week though for sure!

Week 3 - Day 1

Yeah - I'm repeating week 3

3.) How do you feel?
Guilty for not completing Week 3 in Week 3

Yep

Already got stacks of work - stupid work people not proof reading - haven't got my running gear BUGGER! - run tonight - whoops, Monday is Swimming!! Must plan my week to include running NO EXCUSES!!

Nope - don't need to.

There - I've admitted my guilt, now on with the show!!
Bugs

#49 kati85

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hi all - Here's my weekly update #2!!

Week 3 Day 3 (yep, I skipped ahead. I really didn't feel pushed by C25, and I was a reasonably good runner about 1 year ago, hence the jump.)

Nope.

3.) How do you feel?
Looking forward to each new run and pushing my limits a bit further each time.

Yep! I'm going to move onto Week 4 Day 1 - have it all planned out, going to use the markers at the local park to help me map out 400m and 800m.

I think I'm reaching a point now where I will be pushed by C25. Not looking forward to much to Week 4 Day 1, seeing I have to run 800m nonstop (currently the most I can manage is 600m nonstop!)

Not yet.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

#50 RossBris

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hey all,

Newbie here - I have been pretty quiet on the forums for a while cause I have been holidaying OS for Xmas and New Years.  

Now my C25k question - How do I get back into it?  I have been away from running for about 8 weeks now, would it be safe to assume that pretty much all my fitness gains are gone now???  I got upto about week 5, should I go back to about week 3 to get back into it?

I am also going to make a B-Line to a running store in Brisbane to get some good shoes because my feet and legs were hinting at the end of last year that perhaps they needed them, I swear I got close to a stress fracture my ankles hurt so much.

Anyway here is 2008, and I am hoping to make it a big year for my running (+as a consequence my Health and Beer Gut too), my goals are to do the Jetty to Jetty in July and the Bridge to Brisbane in August.

Ross...