61 replies to this topic

#1 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

The 2007 BRT Run is scheduled for August 19. As those who have taken part in previous years can attest, this is an ideal training run in the lead up to the Melbourne Marathon. In 2006, 88 runners took part - can we crack the century this year??

Full details including information from previous years can be found at www.ultraoz.com/bellarine. Some may note that the 68km option from previous years doesn't appear in the title - visit the homepage for full details!

Cheers, Brett Coleman

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 laotze

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

View PostBDC, on Apr 30 2007, 02:26 PM, said:

The 2007 BRT Run is scheduled for August 19. As those who have taken part in previous years can attest, this is an ideal training run in the lead up to the Melbourne Marathon. In 2006, 88 runners took part - can we crack the century this year??

Full details including information from previous years can be found at www.ultraoz.com/bellarine. Some may note that the 68km option from previous years doesn't appear in the title - visit the homepage for full details!

Cheers, Brett Coleman

I will jump in quickly, as one of the 68kers last year, to have little regrets for its demise as a return from Queenscliff.  It was rather lonesome and arduous on the way back.

But, I have another crazy notion, which is to stay in Queenscliff the night before, and then make my way to the start in Geelong in time to run back to Queenscliff with the 100 plus entrants in the 34 kilometres.

I suppose you can imagine how I might get to the start.  Anyone who would like to join in will be more than welcome (but I don't mean sharing a taxi fare). :yahoo:

#3 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

For those thinking of taking part, the entry form is now available to download on the run homepage together with instructions on how to complete it - www.ultraoz.com/bellarine.

#4 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

I will be there for the first time this year, getting my entry in now :p

#5 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Really enjoyed the run last year Brett, was my first cramp free run for a long time.

If all goes to plan, i'll be there again !

#6 Little K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Great event this one! You really are tempting me Brett  :p

#7 supersam

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

I missed this last year, but plan on showing up for the first time this year :p

#8 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

Bugger.  I just realised that I have agreed to go skiing the same weekend.  Will have to check the dates now.

#9 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

Some good news - Troopy is onboard to support the run again this year, making it 4 years straight.  It works out ideally for his lead up to the Berlin Marathon in late September.

Little K, with your many appearances in Melb already this year, you must have some frequent flyer points to get down to the BRT run again! Great work on you sub 2:40 effort at GC yesterday.

#10 felisaffie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

View Postawiseman, on Apr 30 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

I will jump in quickly, as one of the 68kers last year, to have little regrets for its demise as a return from Queenscliff.  It was rather lonesome and arduous on the way back.

But, I have another crazy notion, which is to stay in Queenscliff the night before, and then make my way to the start in Geelong in time to run back to Queenscliff with the 100 plus entrants in the 34 kilometres.

I suppose you can imagine how I might get to the start.  Anyone who would like to join in will be more than welcome (but I don't mean sharing a taxi fare). :D

I'm interested in this one. I love running near the beach. Can't help being slightly crazily inspired by the idea of what 68km feels like, I'd say the inspiration might wear off after 34km.

Ok so was totally interested but... What is this about Snakes and Spiders in the waiver. Ok I sound like a wimp but me and arachnids and reptiles, we just don't like each other. I don't like what they look like and what they can do to me and they don't like being deafened by my screams. People at school thought I didn't have a voice until I went on my first Hike and met a spider in it's web. I think theirr ears are still ringing. So just asking for a bit of reassurance here is it common to see them and are they big. I am still totally interested, it could just mean I run faster in fear of meeting one. :p  :p

Edited by felisaffie, 02 July 2007 - 10:29 PM.

#11 Little K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Brett. A bit slower that the goal, but a PB so cant complain too much.

Yeah i should just move back to Highton, it'd be cheaper than flying down every mth or so!

#12 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Felisaffie the waiver is modified from the general fat ass waiver that can be found somewhere on the fatass website. If you see any such creatures, it is highly likely that you are heading way off course and / or running far too slowly! If you want to know more about the trail, you can have a look at the photos from 2006 - the link is on the webpage.
Cheers.

#13 felisaffie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

View PostBDC, on Jul 3 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

Felisaffie the waiver is modified from the general fat ass waiver that can be found somewhere on the fatass website. If you see any such creatures, it is highly likely that you are heading way off course and / or running far too slowly! If you want to know more about the trail, you can have a look at the photos from 2006 - the link is on the webpage.
Cheers.

Thankyou so much that is a great relief. Good incentive to run fast just at the thought though. I think I'll use it as a strategy to keep me on my heels. Was thinking later that any such creatures if in existence would scatter in hiding just at the sound of a whole group of runners so definitely not a logical fear. Thankyou for the reassurance and the reference. We went down to the beach today and it was perfect. I'm grateful for any excuse to go for a run across the countryside down that way.

#14 spark driver

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:25 PM

This was one of my favourite runs I participated in last year. I was looking forward to joining in again in 2007 but my running form has been particularly lame lately.

I wonder if it is not too late to pull the finger out and start training for the distance??

#15 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

View Postfelisaffie, on Jul 2 2007, 08:06 PM, said:

I'm interested in this one. I love running near the beach.

It's near the beach, not that you actually see much of it on the run until towards the end. Great flattish trail though, reminds me a bit of the Warby trail width wise, typical old rail trail but not quite as boring. Didn't see any spiders or snails last year, just bumped into awiseman around the 20k mark :p

spark driver said:

I wonder if it is not too late to pull the finger out and start training for the distance??

You'll be fine SD. See you there again !

BDC said:

Troopy is onboard to support the run again this year
Make sure he shares his coffee this time :p
We were all so envious last year after the early morning drive down from Melb.

Edited by chilliman, 04 July 2007 - 04:56 PM.

#16 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

BDC said "Some good news - Troopy is onboard to support the run again this year, making it 4 years straight. "

That's great stuff. Please give him my regards.

Phil
(The first BRT Race Director)..............

#17 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

I'm back in!  

Ski weekend has been changed to 24th August - so I can trash my knees a week later!!!

Edited by DianeE, 05 July 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#18 FiIK

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

View Postawiseman, on Apr 30 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

G'day Awiseman,

I wouldn't mind joining  you in your proposed early morning (mis)adventure however, I will need to speak to Mrs FiIK first. I'll chat to you offline when I come back from the Gold Coast next weekend.

I always wanted to give this one a go but something always got in the way. Hopefully not this year.

Cheers

FiIK

#19 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

View PostFiIK, on Jul 6 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

G'day Awiseman,

I wouldn't mind joining  you in your proposed early morning (mis)adventure however, I will need to speak to Mrs FiIK first. I'll chat to you offline when I come back from the Gold Coast next weekend.

I always wanted to give this one a go but something always got in the way. Hopefully not this year.

Cheers

FiIK

Sadly for me something has got in the way - my crumbling body!

I realise that I need to really focus on getting my knee right after Comrades, and it wouldn't do my right foot PF/bone spur thing much good either.  Aside from the fact that with a month on minimal slow kilometres after Comrades, I am in slow decline.  Even the 34 would be more harm than good I fear.

It is a great run though and it is in the diary for next year.

I hope you all get the same glorious weather we had last year.

Edited by awiseman, 18 July 2007 - 12:36 PM.

#20 brettsrun

happy to be running, almost injury free

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

View PostFiIK, on Jul 6 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

G'day Awiseman,

Cheers

FiIK

Hi FiIK & Awiseman,
First time on one of these blog things.
If Awiseman is who I think you are we did speak about doing the early start, saddened to hear your out.
I'm still keen, so FiIK, if your in I'd be happy to chat more about an early start from Q'Cliff

#21 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

Possible starter here. Will be going both ways but starting in Geelong not Queenscliff.

#22 EatEm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

I have entered .... 34 kms @ 5 min per km
;)

#23 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

View Postbrettsrun, on Jul 19 2007, 01:13 AM, said:

Hi FiIK & Awiseman,
First time on one of these blog things.
If Awiseman is who I think you are we did speak about doing the early start, saddened to hear your out.
I'm still keen, so FiIK, if your in I'd be happy to chat more about an early start from Q'Cliff

Yes Brett, the same.

Hopefully by mid august I'll be able to run a comfortable pain free ten kilometres, but even one way would be too much.

All the best.

#24 PaddymelonPete

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

I'm in and registered for the 34km. Hope to be on the 5km bus, just like Princes Park last weekend.

#25 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Just bumping this one up. Entry list is now over 50 and rising  :LOL:

Edited by chilliman, 02 August 2007 - 04:23 PM.

#26 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

I had good intentions of adding to the list of starters up until last night.  Heading off for a brief run [with Chilliman of all people, and a few others], I had a massive fall and now boast a sore and very swollen ankle.     Maybe I'll get down there as a spectator.

#27 Lee Troop

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

View Postchilliman, on Jul 4 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

Make sure he shares his coffee this time :LOL:
We were all so envious last year after the early morning drive down from Melb.

Chilliman, I do apologise for my inconsiderate actions last year and drinking that beautiful latte in front of you before the start and then jumping in 13km down the road to just do 21km.
This year I will go hardcore like you and go without the coffee and do the whole run + extra to make up 3hrs. Am considering actually starting at the Geelong Railway Station and running through to picking you guys up and then onto Queenscliff. Why? Sounds better in the diary that I ran from train station to train station!!

See you there.
TROOPY

#28 Tiger Boy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

So as we get nearer to the date, how many others do we have for the 5min pelethon? There seem to be a few from the SC run a couple of weeks back that were in that group, so we could get a few together again and hold that pace. After all it is only a training run  (that's just a reminder for Diane and Sam    :LOL: ).
My guess, looking at the start list, we could have me, Eat Em, supersam, DianeE, Lavinia G, chilliman and padymelonpete (and hopefully Spark Driver). Anyone else I've missed?  
Spark Driver - I hope the training has been going well, would love to see you on the 5min bus again this year.
Now by my reckoning 34kms at 5min pace gives us a run time of 2.50. If Troopy is hoping to run 3 hours, then this may be my only ever chance to finish before him.  B)  (Of course he's welcome to join us if he wants to).

#29 FiIK

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

G'day all,

I don't think I'll ever get to do this run. I have to bail for yet another year because of a family engagement (plus lack of training).

Hope everyone enjoys the run and maybe I will get there next year.

Cheers

FiIK

#30 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostTiger Boy, on Aug 3 2007, 10:18 PM, said:

So as we get nearer to the date, how many others do we have for the 5min pelethon?
Could be a bit hot for me TB as I plan to run back as well but I might try to hang on to you guys for a while. :LOL:

#31 Bryan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on Jul 19 2007, 11:16 AM, said:

Possible starter here. Will be going both ways but starting in Geelong not Queenscliff.

I'm interested in this, but not sure if I will do an out and back or just the 34k.

Sounds like there will at least be someone to run with either way, although it looks like quite an early start from Queenscliff. But then driving from the outer eastern suburbs on the day of the event would also mean a very early start.

I have another commitment down for the day so I will have to see if I can get out of that first....

#32 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Another race I have to pull out of... :LOL:

Unfortunately, I will again be out of town. Someday I'll race again!

#33 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

It has been 3+ weeks since I came down with the flu and only in the past 3-4 days have I been able to to run without sounding (and feeling) like I am about to collapse and die!  

I haven't run any more than 10k since the Princes Park run so I don't think you will see me even getting near 5min pace Tiger Boy.  

I will still go and plod 34km just for fun and take it slowly.

#34 Morley

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

I've had my eye on this one for the last couple of years but not been able to make it. Coming back from an Achilles injury this year and longest run up to 6K so will miss again :LOL: . All the best everyone and enjoy B) .

#35 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

The Entry List has now hit 65. Just a reminder that this is on next Sunday !

Entry Form Here.

#36 essaytee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

I'm in, I'm number 66 on the list.   As far as pacing concerned I'll play it by ear, see how I feel on the day but at this point in time I might stick with the 5 min crew.

#37 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

View Postchilliman, on Aug 13 2007, 04:26 AM, said:

The Entry List has now hit 65. Just a reminder that this is on next Sunday !

Entry Form Here.

Barring nuclear attack or the onset of the next bubonic plague, I shall be there in the capacity of an injured non running photographer/reporter/transport provider [I have one spare seat in my ute!!]

#38 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

View PostKevinCassidy, on Aug 13 2007, 10:29 PM, said:

[I have one spare seat in my ute!!]

Reckon that ute of yours could quite adequately carry all the 5min peloton carcasses to the tip :LOL:

#39 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

View Postchilliman, on Aug 14 2007, 12:05 AM, said:

Reckon that ute of yours could quite adequately carry all the 5min peloton carcasses to the tip :LOL:

Or better still, everyone can put their bags in my ute, then i'll take them to the tip!!!!!!....after raiding all the wallets first!!!

#40 PaddymelonPete

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

Sorry all but I've been booted off the 5min/k bus for the run on Sunday. Haven't run in 2 weeks nursing a foot injury that's not progressing as quick as I'd originally hope for.

Have a great run and I look forward to hearing all the reports and seeing you all at the MM.

#41 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thanks to those who have thus far registered their interest in the run on Sunday. Numbers have swelled to 70 currently and hopefully we may enjoy some ideal weather for a 34km run.

Those who have registered their interest to me directly, should have received an email tonight with a few last minute updates. If you are thinking about running and didn't receive the email, I've also posted it on the webpage.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.
Cheers, Brett

#42 coolbananas

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

I'm not gonna be able to run  B)  :LOL:   my shin has been niggly all week exactly where my stressie was a few years back....not impressed but not worth the risk.
Anyway, hope you all have sensational weather and a great day look forward to hearing the reports  :LOL:

#43 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

good luck to everyone on sunday.  If anyone is struggling on Sunday, I guess I'll take the blame for thinking of the original concept!  ....but enjoy the scenery and that will take your mind off it!

:LOL:

#44 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

View Postcoolbananas, on Aug 17 2007, 03:38 PM, said:

I'm not gonna be able to run  B)  :LOL:   my shin has been niggly all week exactly where my stressie was a few years back....not impressed but not worth the risk.

Sorry to hear that Daph, hope the Ferny Creek run wasn't to blame.

See everyone Sunday :LOL:

#45 coolbananas

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

[quote name='chilliman' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:43 AM' post='254865']
Sorry to hear that Daph, hope the Ferny Creek run wasn't to blame.

Nah, my shin flares up all the time
Have a great run

#46 EatEm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

Daph ... sorry you won't be able to make it on Sunday. Good luck with recovery - and ir's okay to blame chilliman for the soreness ....  :LOL:

#47 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

View PostEat'Em, on Aug 17 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

okay to blame chilliman for the soreness ....  :LOL:
You'll keep :LOL:

Start list up to 77 and should be great running weather too B)

Forecast for Sunday
Fine. Sunny periods with a light wind.                            
Min  6    Max 15

#48 Morley

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Have a good run everybody.

#49 JunkyJ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes sorry to hear about your shins. Stress fractures can be a real problem. That is one of the key reasons I only run 4 days a week so I can have my legs recover.Hopefully we will catch up for the next run up at Ferny Creek.RegardsJunkyj :LOL:

View PostEat'Em, on Aug 17 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

Daph ... sorry you won't be able to make it on Sunday. Good luck with recovery - and ir's okay to blame chilliman for the soreness ....  :LOL:
You are all heart Eat em. See you tomorrow at BRT.RegardsJunkyj B)

#50 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Great day for a run on the trail. Huge turn out for a Fatass event. Congrats to Brett for organising this event and thanks to all the volunteers who gave up their time for us. :LOL: