553 replies to this topic

#1 max payne

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

Was just wondering for how many people is GNW 2007 the ultimate goal for 2007. I DNFed at CP3 last year and since that moment GNW has been in the back of my mind since. Even though I have been living in the US for the last 5 months GNW has never been far from my mind and the races I have run over here have been no more than just training for GNW.

I get the impression from reading a lot of old threads that GNW holds the same desire for a lot of folks. (Or is it just a need for revenge on that interminable heat that sinks into the Congewai Valley like nothing else?) What is it about this race that sticks in the mind?? Does anyone else feel the same way - I've never had a race stay in my gut like this one.

Cheers
Max

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Max,

This one sure is a classic, a bloody tough run and one well worth finishing.
Just get out there again this year and smash it up.
Early days now but I certainly hope to toe the startline once more this year, only racing this time.  :yahoo:

#3 max payne

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

Spud

I don't think we ever "officially" met but I think we raced a bit of the GNW together last year. I was one of two rogainers who ran with I think you and two others for the 10km or so of technical single trail leading in to CP1. Glad to see you went on to finish so strongly. Maybe you could drag me across the finish this year :yahoo:

Cheers
Max

#4 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

Oh now I remember, we ran together through leech territory around the Heaton State forest area, man that was fun.
You guys were going and looking strong, redemption this year so. :yahoo:

#5 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

Max:

I agree this event does seem to stay with you and can domintae your focus. Like any race if you DNF you want another go to rectify that - if you finish you want to coorect your previous mistakes and go faster however GNW seems to have an even greater pull but I am not sure why.

It is an awsome challenge with the about 40,000 feet or so of rise an fall, spectatular scenery and the huge variation in it during the course, the long time time between aid stations, the ever present risk of making a wrong turn and becoming lost and the wonderful finish along the beach.

I have no experince any other ultra so I am perhaps not able to put this event intoa  proper perspective but those aspects are some of the things that appeal to me and will have me back each time its held provided I am not injured. :yahoo:

#6 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

GNW 2 Hermie 0

Looking to rectify that this year.

Along with another sub24 at GH I hope.

Everything else is just training.

#7 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

2 words

unfinished business.....   :yahoo:  :D

#8 Tim 2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

it's on the "MUST DO" list

#9 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, it's a good'n. :yahoo:

Hey Spud, sorry I slowed you down so much last year. :D

#10 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

Hi
I have three goals walk 100 miles on track and run 100 miles on track and trail even if I achieve them finishing the GNW will mean more to me
I’ll be back again for my third attempt for me it’s all or nothing just have to increase my training
Last year I put vicks around the sides of my runners didn’t have any trouble with leaches All the best
Lou

#11 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:45 AM

My favourite event and already gaining a reputation as a classic 100-miler (108 to be precise).

Being the only finisher of both GNW100's so far, I'll be attempting to keep the roll going and make it 3 from 3, hopefully without getting lost.

Highly recommended running. :yahoo:

Cheers, Blue Dog. :D

#12 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

It's on the list, but not this year.  In the words of the great Inspector Clouseau "Not now Kato*, you fool!"

*although he was referring to Cato Fong, his sidekick.

#13 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

View PostWhippet Man, on May 14 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

Yeah, it's a good'n. :yahoo:

Hey Spud, sorry I slowed you down so much last year. :D

Not you Whippet, another crooning Irishman and his band more like.
Oh and some dude who's food we nicked before we left him for the crows.

I look at GNW as one big adventure, it's got it all. First off, let's get a certain overseas race out of the way :D

#14 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

My running résumé has a glaring omission…. GNW100

#15 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

Louie

As I don't have any Vicks, please bring extra.

Why not increase your training at Glasshouse this weekend?

#16 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

Hi hermie
The increase in training didn't agree with me hurt my achilles  7 weeks ago lucky to finish the last two events
Need time off
bugger
All the best
Don't want to run on rough ground in the dark.
lou

Edited by Louie de Fly, 17 May 2007 - 10:01 AM.

#17 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

View PostLouie de Fly, on May 17 2007, 09:44 AM, said:

The increase in training didn't agree with me hurt my achilles 7 weeks ago lucky to finish the last two events Need time off bugger All the best Don't want to run on rough ground in the dark. lou

Aren't you doing the 12 foot track next week Lou?

As for GNW100, certainly not a year long quest for me but would like to get back there again after pulling out at CP2. Depends on whether I enter other long events later in the year GH100, Colac 6 day or C2K.

#18 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hi RMC
Can still walk so will decide on the day about 12ft
depends on how my long run goes today
If I do glasshouse i won't be taking it easy
Lou

Edited by Louie de Fly, 17 May 2007 - 03:18 PM.

#19 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

Bump.

Hell...let's get them all onto the front page. Looking forward to this run more than any other.
Giddyup.... any more takers?  ;)

#20 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Spud:
I guess the start line will be filled with the usual suspects and I suspect a lot back for revenge from last year and others just caught up with the others. I agree this excites me but it is still a while off yet. However it may not be long before some start the sekrit training that is not so sekrit when other see you on the course. ;)

#21 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hope the R.D gets back from his bike sojourn okay.

Least he will know the pain you guys and gals go through.

#22 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

View PostBlue Dog, on May 15 2007, 06:45 AM, said:

Being the only finisher of both GNW100's so far, I'll be attempting to keep the roll going and make it 3 from 3, hopefully without getting lost.
Fantastic, I have a race plan... go out hard, stay with Blue Dog, won't get lost...
There are other parts to my plan of course, I understand that I will have to attach myself to Blue Dog with gaffa tape (or similar) in order to keep up, and this could make toileting awkward...
Hmmm, plan needs more work.

Note: this is not a pledge to enter. It's all just a thought process at this stage, centred on 'What will best prepare me for a very long, hot, dry race...'

#23 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

View PostSpud, on Jul 10 2007, 04:05 PM, said:

Bump.

Hell...let's get them all onto the front page. Looking forward to this run more than any other.
Giddyup.... any more takers?  ;)
Definitely. This is my must do race of the year. ;)

#24 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:25 AM

Will see how Trailwalker goes first.
But maybe interested in the 100KM.
100M is crazy, have I said that before recently ;) ;)  

Brick
;)

#25 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

View Posttank girl, on Jul 10 2007, 07:31 AM, said:

Fantastic, I have a race plan... go out hard, stay with Blue Dog, won't get lost...
..... I understand that I will have to attach myself to Blue Dog with gaffa tape (or similar) in order to keep up, and this could make toileting awkward...

It's been a while since I ran in a three legged race Tanky, and I could think of plenty of worse people to be gaffa-taped to.

Like Tim, for instance.

As for toileting, just learn to cock the leg. That would be the outside leg, not the one taped to me.

I think there will be a few women lining up to be the first female to complete the 108 miles, after two finished the 100 km event last year.

Success in the big one would indeed elevate any female to 'Aussie Ultra Goddess' status .... a worthy title indeed.

Cheers, Dog. ;)

Edited by Blue Dog, 14 July 2007 - 10:19 AM.

#26 inganbangan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

I'm keen on this, only 100kms though. I've been doing very little running since Hellgate at the end of April and am gradually getting back into it now. I'm aiming for the Sydney Marathon and then GNW.

What's the GNW like compared to the 12 Foot Track? Is it feasible to aim for a similar pace as the 12'?

Thanks.

#27 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

At GNW Checkpoint 2 at approx 53kms will take people capable of sub 5hrs for 12foot approx 7hrs 30mins to 8 hours.Remember they are travelling slower because they still have a long way to go.But 12 ft is all runnable,even the steps sort of,but sizeable bits of GNW are only walkable and climbable.But it is a top adventure.

#28 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

no chance.

it is like doing Pluvi but 4 times.

I would take your 12 foot time and add 5  hours.

#29 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

GNW & 6ft :

I with Hermie. I have onlt run 6ft once in 5.30 and was taking it easy but could not have gone much faster. At GNW on both occassions I have reached Checkpoint 2 at 52 odd ks about 1.30 pm - that is 7 and 1/2 hours. The next section for 28 ks in 6 hours is the make or break part of the race. Others may disagree but in my opinion once you have reached teh Basin a lot of the really hard hills are over.

Its reasonably steady going to the 100 k chechpoint. After that the real pinch comes a few k's into the last section where the climb is very steep - but you have to really climb up and over rocks and it seems to go on for ever. Then later there are if I remember 2 decents and 2 climbs out before reaching a plateau and the last 12k or so down run to the finish.

#30 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

View Postinganbangan, on Aug 2 2007, 12:25 PM, said:

I'm keen on this, only 100kms though. I've been doing very little running since Hellgate at the end of April and am gradually getting back into it now. I'm aiming for the Sydney Marathon and then GNW.

What's the GNW like compared to the 12 Foot Track? Is it feasible to aim for a similar pace as the 12'?

Thanks.

Very different terrain Ben. You will move slower over the 100kms of GNW than your 12FT pace. As others have mentioned, lots of unrunnable stuff ala trailwalker at GNW. Still very doable if you "pace" yourself. The weather is a crucial factor with GNW and with aid stations spaced so far apart proper hydration/nutrition are essential.

Go for it!

Why not test yourself out next weekend at 12FT (or maybe only 6FT) if you are up for it?

Edited by Spud, 02 August 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#31 inganbangan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. They give me a good idea of what I would need to be ready for should I choose to do this.

Spud, I'd love to run the 6 or 12 foot next week, but I'm busy. Additionally, I am completely unfit at the moment. As I said, since Hellgate at the end of April I haven't run much (the only exception being the 12 foot track in May). For for the 3 weeks before this week, I was busy overseas and didn't run at all.

I'm working my way back into it but can tell how much fitness I've lost. I ran 17 kms on Tuesday at 5:50 pace! At the moment it's going to be an effort to manage a 4 hour Sydney marathon. I'm hoping that my body will cooperate and I'll be able to pick up the distance and pace soon.

I've been reading plenty of forums to motivate me. I'm particularly keen on the C2K one year (not this one). Who knows what 2008 will bring!

First step, get to the Sydney marathon ready to run and feeling fairly good. I'll take it as it comes from there.

#32 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

How hard is the navigation?

#33 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

For me generally I don't have a lot of problems. But that is probably because I have run the course and have a good memory - that is having run a track once I am able to remember it and am able to get my 'bearings' reasonably easily.

However there are a couple of sections where if you do not read the directions well and DO NOT also look at the change in altitude you may easily go wrong. But generally the course is well marked by the usual GNW wooden signs or the race organiser has marked some of the sections with pink tape.

If you make a wrong turn then clearly depending on how long it takes you to realise may cost you considerable time and energy which are to be avoided. It needs you to be disciplied and to stop and read the make etc before just taking a gut feeling on which way to go. That short time double checking may save you a lot of time if you make teh wroung turn and have to retrace your steps.

It just requires you to be thoughtful which is diffcult at night and also in the second day when you are tired and fatigued. You should always run with the map in your hand or very close by and have a very good idea where you are running in relation to the map at all times. It certainly is an advantage to have been over the course or some parts of it before race day.

#34 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

View PostBrick, on Aug 1 2007, 10:37 PM, said:

How hard is the navigation?

The course instructions are excellent: first class.

It is only as each runner gets tired that err , ummm, mistakes seem to creep in.

Last year, late in the race, I cost myself over one hour at one stage when I turned left at a T-intersection on the trail. The instructions clearly read 'turn right.'

Garmins are essential. ... E.g. As you successfully navigate each turn in the course, the next instruction may read-

"In 1.8km turn left onto walking trail." (altitude) '236m.'  

Take note of the distance AND the altitude (there may be a track off to the left at 215m altitude).

No more secrets. Good luck.

Blue Dog. :LOL:

Edited by Blue Dog, 02 August 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#35 Thomas

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

G'day Spud, Tim & Whippet, haven't seen you guys for a while.  

I'll throw the hat in the ring for the 100k.

Tom

#36 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

View PostThomas, on Aug 2 2007, 05:26 PM, said:

Tom

Nice one Tom, it'll be great to see you out there mate. :LOL:

Edited by Spud, 02 August 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#37 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

View PostThomas, on Aug 2 2007, 05:26 PM, said:

Tom
Good stuff Tom. You won't regret it, it's a great run. :LOL:

#38 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

Bump!!!! now that Glasshouse is over. :)

#39 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

That's the spirit Eagle. Good to see you lining up your next challenge. I will be making my GNW debut this year. So I will be picking your brain between now and then. :)

#40 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

yeah.  i just didn't get enough pain at the Glasshouse.  Bring it on!

#41 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

Just wanna get there.

I am gonna be so well prepared this year.

How many sleeps?

#42 Darlo

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Really keen on this one guys but it's in the middle of coast to coast training in Feb and I really do not need the running. If i come over I'll have to do the 100k

#43 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

I am still a possible/maybe/probable/gunna for the 100kms.  Couple of questions:

How well stocked are the aid stations???  
Is there enough variety in the food at aid stations???
Are drop bags workable for this event???
Can you contemplate this run without support???
So I can compare courses, anyone who did TW07 could they rate the course against GNW???  I know GNW is more difficult, but by how much.

Thanks

#44 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:20 PM

View Postrodthehornet, on Sep 12 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

I am still a possible/maybe/probable/gunna for the 100kms.  Couple of questions:

So I can compare courses, anyone who did TW07 could they rate the course against GNW???  I know GNW is more difficult, but by how much.

Thanks

Fill in the form and step up to the start line. It's an experience of a lifetime and that's just getting to checkpoint 1 :)

Depends on what you mean well stocked. I didn't pay much attention last year as I depended on my drop bags but I seem to recall they had enough of what was needed. The best by far is at 100k and then school at 132k but they are all more than adequate. You have to remember some of the checkpoints are in remote spots so there is some limit on the variety.

Drop bags are essential even with a crew. If you had a crew I would still do drop bags as you crew may have a problem.

Yes you could easily do the 100 miler without crew but if you did great thought would have to go into your drop bags.

Can't compare TW07.

Hope to see you at the start - I don't think you would regret the decision.

#45 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

View Postrodthehornet, on Sep 12 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

Thanks

my thoughts on the above-

I don't think the aid stations offer much at all.  You need to supply what you need other than water.

Drop bags are a must.  Actually since it is 4 - 5 hrs between aid stations crew is not that big a deal.  Nice but it is doable without crew.

yes and I am.

it is not as technical as TW but the climbs are way way bigger on the GNW.

there is a profile comparison I did a few tears ago which I think GNW was described as Trailwalker on steroids.  i will have a look for the profile.

I would say that the key to the GNW is navigation.

#46 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

here is the TW / GNW profile.  It is not from this years TW but it gives you the general idea.

Posted Image

#47 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:57 AM

Agree with everything Tim and Eagle have said.

The last 30km of TW2007 (ie Berowra to Brooklyn) had a number of hills, but on GNW there are a lot more steeper and longer climbs.

Rod, suggest that if you have the chance, go and do a few training runs out on the course to familiarise yourself with the terrain. Suggest Teralba to CP1 for starters (and say hello to the Hugging Post). CP2 to the Basin is also worthwhile.

GNW CP's have basic stuff (ie coke, gatorade, bananas, watermelon, bread, cup-a-soup). Best to have support crew or arrange drop bags.

Hydration is the X factor, especially with the CPs so far apart. Suggest a 3L Camelbak, or a 2L Camelbak with hand-helds/fuel-belt.  It was very hot last year (mid to high 30's), and I ran out of 2L water with 6km to go to CP2.  You don't want to be in that position.  

GNW is tough, but a fantastic experience. A definite must do.

#48 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

View PostBandanna, on Sep 13 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

Suggest Teralba to CP1 for starters (and say hello to the Hugging Post).

I had forgotten the hugging post.

I better get some hill training in :)

#49 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

Still too early for me to decide on attempting this one again but if I did I'd try to get up there before the day to have a look from Cp2 to finish over 2 days. Like many others I pulled out at Cp2 (52k) last year. I also had a hug at that post.  :)

#50 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks guys.  I am in for the 100km, pending my ITB at the moment.  Have a few runs planned and if I make it thru all of them, I will make it to the start line.

I will keep an eye on the training runs and hopefully get a sneak peak at the course.  Otherwise, i will tag onto someone on the day that has done the course and fly by the seat of my pants.

Cheers
Rod