#1 Will

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the average cost to get some orthotics fitted is.

I have been advised to go see a podiatrist to get some and I am just wondering how much it is.

Thanks for your answers.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Ellie80

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

when i got mine some years ago (new trip to podrunner definitely on the cards) and got custom foot moulds etc etc I seem to remember it costing around $600. They have however lasted for 4 or so years and I haven't even got the recovered yet (but desperately need to!)

#3 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

i do orthotics to CRs for $326 plus $55 consult,all subsequent consults included in cost

#4 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

I got formthotics for $180, including follow-up alterations. I claimed back $100 from Defence Health.

#5 PodRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi Will,

Depends on what you need. If your problem is mild, a formthotic like tank-girls will suffice, but other more severe alignment problems, especially for heavier runners may need custom EVA, polypropylene, or carbon-fibre. These are far more comfortable for running if covered with a full length, lightweight lunasoft top.

Sometimes a different shoe without orthotics can be enough, but as many people have asymmetric feet and unilateral problems (last week I saw 5 runners with leg length differences ranging from 4mm to 23mm), sometimes they can end up with two very different orthotics and new shoes won't help. You may also need to change the shoes you wear as motion control shoes plus orthotics tend to overdo it.

Most podiatrists charge between $400- $600 for orthotics, carbon-fibre being the dearest, including consultations and follow-ups if there's a problem. Most private funds will pay around $250 of this if you are covered.

As with your shoes, make sure you go to someone who actually runs.