• You cannot reply to this topic
93 replies to this topic

#1 alisonjc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

this is the new pearl izumi (US running shoes) ad campaign.

http://www.wearenotjoggers.com

gosh some people take themselves seriously! (Surely this has to be a joke?)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

"Our ancestors never jogged down a meal"

That's brilliant! Reminds me of the Sam Kekovitch lamb ads.  :p
(definitely a joke, read through the text and you'll see)

#3 laotze

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

I absolutely LOVE IT!  But, are the shoes half as good as the advertising material?

#4 Beki

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the link, I love this - it gave me a huge laugh, especially this bit -

"Jogging has it's rightful place in the world too.  For us, that place is the warm-up or warm-down portion of a run.  That's right.  Runners sometimes jog.  It's something they are easily capable of, and may choose to do at any time.  But the thing is, even when a runner jogs, they're still running.  They're just running slow"

:p

#5 Mango

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

:p Thanks alisonjc

"Ever notice how it's always runners that find dead bodies"

I haven't found a deady body yet so does that make me a runner or a jogger?   :p

#6 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

View PostMango, on May 31 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

I haven't found a deady body yet so does that make me a runner or a jogger?   :p

Perhaps you need to take up ultra running. Then you see dead bodies walking.  That is runners walking, not ultra walkers.  They are the living dead.

#7 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

I think it's trying to create divisions where there are none. It was a pile of shit in my opinion. especially the bit about runners not wearing mp3 players. get a life. cool website, bad words. I picked the name "joggerkev" for a reason.

#8 felisaffie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

I'm trying to work out the logic of that. All I can conclude is that runners find the body's because they trip over them whereas Joggers going at a more casual pace are able to go around and the runner is thus forcefully confronted with the fact they are dead because they are lying flat on their face near by wheras a jogger having diverted around is able to conclude they could be just sleeping and jog in blissful ignorance on.

#9 JPVD

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Joggers find bodies!

In fact: Nation's Joggers Sick Of Finding Dead Bodies

Jean Plod Van Damme.

#10 Derwood

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

View PostJoggerKev, on May 31 2007, 10:43 PM, said:

I think it's trying to create divisions where there are none. It was a pile of shit in my opinion.

I agree. Do marketers really think runners will buy their shoes because they don't sell them to people who run on treadmills??

A marketing wankfest.

#11 Whippet gal

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Working in PR and marketing, I think it's a good campaign - those people branded 'joggers' are supposed to be impelled to become 'runners' (and buy the shoes to help).

As a runner (or a jogger?!), it's just a laugh. We shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. Stick with Nike's slogan and Just Do It.

#12 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

you're not going to believe this but i have found three dead bodies,i've been running thirtyfive years so if anyone it would be me,the last one was a young girl in a bus shelter on bronte road near bondi junction who had just overdosed and still had a needle sticking out of her breast,what else to say-briz

#13 PlodBod

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

View PostDerwood, on Jun 1 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

A marketing wankfest.

Beautifully put.  Couldn't agree more.    :p

#14 Dante

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I dunno, I think you guys are being overly critical.

I don't think it's that different to the "Run yourself Ugly" campaign. It doesn't distinguish running by speed, in fact it states the opposite.

Although it's tongue in cheek, I think all it's really saying that there's more to running than time spent on the treadmill or tuned out with the MP3 player.

To me, it's message is that there's a world to explore while running, and that's something available to everyone no matter how fast you run.

Edited by Dante, 01 June 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#15 Bristol City FC

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

seems to me that too many people are being a bit 'precious' about it all,....it's an ad, there's a lot worse out there that all of you are probably sucked in by and buy because of them, so get down from the 'runners pedestal', and get over it.

#16 Slow Sue

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

Yah, I'm a Jogger and proud of it.
I'm a back of the packer and I don't race.

Only cause I can't go fast, I talk to much......... :p

#17 billsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

Not worried about the runners V joggers thing......i just thought it was boring.....i couldn't even finish reading it.   :p

Put me to sleep.

#18 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

View PostJoggerKev, on May 31 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

I think it's trying to create divisions where there are none. It was a pile of shit in my opinion. especially the bit about runners not wearing mp3 players. get a life. cool website, bad words. I picked the name "joggerkev" for a reason.

And was the reason because in your mind you are not a runner any more?  Or what?

It is an advertisement: not a politcal manifesto.

Is there a difference between a 'runner' and a 'jogger'?  Or is jogger just another word for runner?  This is how a lot of non runners use it.

But runners, Joggerkev aside, (that's if he is still a runner) see a distinction.  Funnily enough it is a distinction that is expressed in an exaggerated form in the ad.

Put simply runners run - maybe slowly at times, but they run.  And joggers jog.  Never fast, because then they would be runners.

It doesn't mean to say that runners like Slowsue aren't runners.  They are, unless they think they are not.  Then they are not.

Runners can be always slow runners, as long as they think they are runners, and eschew the appelation 'jogger'.

Ultimately it is of no consequence.  either the ad will sell shoes, and will be applauded and imitated, or it won't and it will disappear.

Edited by awiseman, 02 June 2007 - 12:57 AM.

#19 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

jogger just another word for runner
exactly. it's the same thing. the general public use the terms interchangeably, or just use the word jogger. so what. we need to reclaim the word jogger and not get all exclusive and elitist. otherwise marketers will use the difference to pigeonhole people, lets keep it broad and open and inclusive.

#20 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

oh cmon!
it is very tongue in cheek, faux serious.
has a few things to get you thinking/talking... and deary me, it appears to be succeeding...

#21 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

I hear what your saying Awiseman, I want to call myself a runner but something stops me I'm not really sure. When I first started running I wanted to run and be competative but I couldn't and I knew quite early on where I stood if it's like a pecking order thing I'm not sure, but I'm so happy to just get out there and the feeling I get when I get out there is just magic and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I love you guys for accepting people like me. Hey if it wasn't for people like me then you guys wouldn't come first, right.

Edited by Slow Sue, 02 June 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#22 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

View PostJoggerKev, on Jun 2 2007, 10:39 AM, said:

exactly. it's the same thing. the general public use the terms interchangeably, or just use the word jogger. so what. we need to reclaim the word jogger and not get all exclusive and elitist. otherwise marketers will use the difference to pigeonhole people, lets keep it broad and open and inclusive.

Sorry, some people might use the terms interchangeably, but there is a real difference. No one refers to Cathy Freeman as a 'jogger', or Monaghetti, or ...Fats, or Kelvin, or, as far as I am concerned, any Coolrunner.

If there is no difference by all means change the name of the site to Cooljoggers.  I'll find a runners' website some where.

If a jogger is the same as a runner, then I suppose a walker is the same as a runner also.  And a sitter, and a sleeper.

English language has the most extensive vocabulary of any language on Earth, and because of this finer distinctions can be made between similar but different classes of things.

It is not 'reclaiming' the word to use jogger and runner interchangeably; it is dissolving the distinction, as the uneducated 'general public' have done.  Ask the general public what a 'jogger' is, and the answer will be 'oh, you know, one of them people who puts or a trackie and jogs around the block a couple of times a week.'  They won't say 'one of those people who runs frequently and enters fun runs, and marathons, or ultras, or trail runs, or runs six foot track.

i'd like to see how many 'joggers' could make the cut off in 6FT.  But there are a lot of runners who can, even old slow ones like me.

I am not at all trying to be exclusive or elitist.  Any person can be a runner, as I pointed out above.   It is part what one does (runs) and part what one thinks 'I am a runner'.  It is not just about being really fast, or elite (the words for that are 'elite runner') or winning medals.  Even the last runner in a fun run can be a runner.

But if you want to think you are a jogger, you will be a jogger.

Edited by awiseman, 02 June 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#23 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

View Postbrizza, on Jun 1 2007, 01:18 PM, said:

you're not going to believe this but i have found three dead bodies,i've been running thirtyfive years so if anyone it would be me,the last one was a young girl in a bus shelter on bronte road near bondi junction who had just overdosed and still had a needle sticking out of her breast,what else to say-briz
Brizza, didn't you say you swam these days, instead of running?  Are you finding bodies at the bottom of the pool?

#24 felisaffie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

When you think of horses they trot canter and gallop. Humans Walk, Jog and run so there is definitely a distinction. I see the greatest distinction in the mentality. I always think of the mentality of running as letting go of everything, of any care about how you look, if you are going to get sweaty or puffed out or your clothes dirty or hair out of place or your shoes worn through and throwing everything you have into the movement whereas I would think of jogging in terms  as the concept I have always had of it of retaining some control, not going so hard, not using your full potential just casually going along with a less serious attitude towards what you are doing. With Running there is a much larger difference between when you stop and momentum and with Jogging there is less drive more taking in the scenery. Everyone would have some different qualification of run I would imagine, but I would think if you are throwing all you have into it should be some way towards a qualification of it. Personally I always like to feel some significant difference between stopped and going. Which has led me into quite a bit of anxiety in the past because I didn't feel I felt puffed out enough for what I was doing to qualify. (Took me a while to cotton on this is just what happened when you were fit, I thought I wasn't exerting enough effort :p )

#25 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

awiseman, when people at work ask if i am still into jogging I say yes and don't get all indignant.
the difference between monners/freeman and myself is I am just doing it to keep fit and have fun but they are doing it for the glory and the dollars.
I AM a jogger, sure I do a few fun runs as well. I think people are trying to over-complicate it and getting precious.
As for marathons and six foot etc, whether you run 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 hrs - its all the same - really- I have done it all. the fat guys are THE SAME as the slow guys. and I don't care what they call themselves.

#26 beatlloydy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

IT was thought provoking and was something I always wondered about. What is the difference between running and jogging? I know it is a personal thing and the definitions will be different for each person.

I actually log my training with either run or jog or warmup/warmdown jog vs main run. Sometimes my running is so bad I call the entire session a jog as I couldnt get into the run. However, that is not to denegrate joggers or even walkers as so long as you are out there you are exercising.

From what the ad is saying this also makes Craig Mottram a jogger and not a runner as he likes to listen to his IPOD whilst running (sorry according to Pearl Izumi jogging).

#27 Bristol City FC

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

View Postawiseman, on Jun 2 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

Sorry, some people might use the terms interchangeably, but there is a real difference. No one refers to Cathy Freeman as a 'jogger', or Monaghetti, or ...Fats, or Kelvin, or, as far as I am concerned, any Coolrunner.

If there is no difference by all means change the name of the site to Cooljoggers.  I'll find a runners' website some where.

If a jogger is the same as a runner, then I suppose a walker is the same as a runner also.  And a sitter, and a sleeper.

English language has the most extensive vocabulary of any language on Earth, and because of this finer distinctions can be made between similar but different classes of things.

It is not 'reclaiming' the word to use jogger and runner interchangeably; it is dissolving the distinction, as the uneducated 'general public' have done.  Ask the general public what a 'jogger' is, and the answer will be 'oh, you know, one of them people who puts or a trackie and jogs around the block a couple of times a week.'  They won't say 'one of those people who runs frequently and enters fun runs, and marathons, or ultras, or trail runs, or runs six foot track.

i'd like to see how many 'joggers' could make the cut off in 6FT.  But there are a lot of runners who can, even old slow ones like me.

I am not at all trying to be exclusive or elitist.  Any person can be a runner, as I pointed out above.   It is part what one does (runs) and part what one thinks 'I am a runner'.  It is not just about being really fast, or elite (the words for that are 'elite runner') or winning medals.  Even the last runner in a fun run can be a runner.

But if you want to think you are a jogger, you will be a jogger.

awiseman, as you seem to know the difference between a 'jogger' and a 'runner', what speed is it that makes a 'jogger' become a 'runner', and at what speed does a 'runner' start being a 'jogger'?
and where is this interchange documented and validated? and who decided the variable?

i'd like to see how many 'joggers' could make the cut off in 6FT.
well hopefully I'll be one next year!

Edited by Bristol City FC, 04 June 2007 - 03:17 PM.

#28 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

View PostBristol City FC, on Jun 4 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

awiseman, as you seem to know the difference between a 'jogger' and a 'runner', what speed is it that makes a 'jogger' become a 'runner', and at what speed does a 'runner' start being a 'jogger'?
and where is this interchange documented and validated? and who decided the variable?
well hopefully I'll be one next year!

RS = .05 the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.  (African, of course)

JS = .005 the air speed of a laden swallow (European, mainly.)

Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
Sir Lancelot: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?
Sir Lancelot: My name is Sir Lancelot of Camelot.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
Sir Lancelot: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?
Sir Lancelot: Blue.
Bridgekeeper: Go on. Off you go.
Sir Lancelot: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.
Sir Robin: That's easy.
Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
Sir Robin: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I'm not afraid.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?
Sir Robin: Sir Robin of Camelot.
Sir Robin: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is the capital of Assyria?
[pause]
Sir Robin: I don't know that.
[he is thrown over the edge into the volcano]
Sir Robin: Auuuuuuuugh.
Bridgekeeper: Stop. What... is your name?
Galahad: Sir Galahad of Camelot.
Galahad: I seek the Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?
Galahad: Blue. No, yel...
[he is also thrown over the edge]
Galahad: auuuuuuuugh.
Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop. What... is your name?
King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.
King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
[he is thrown over]
Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.
Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Or awiseman.

#29 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

View Postawiseman, on Jun 2 2007, 10:45 PM, said:

Brizza, didn't you say you swam these days, instead of running?  Are you finding bodies at the bottom of the pool?
weird,i quit running years ago and still think i'm a runner,i haven't found any bodies since i have been swimming although yesterday a dolphin swam close enough for me to see all the details of his body as he swam past cool as you like

#30 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

joggers v runners-the only distinction is running and walking-running has a "flight"between the toe off of one foot and the heel strike of the other foot,denying our joggerhood is just joggery snobbery

Edited by brizza, 04 June 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#31 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

View Postbrizza, on Jun 4 2007, 03:46 PM, said:

joggers v runners-the only distinction is running and walking-running has a "flight"between the toe off of one foot and the heel strike of the other foot,denying our joggerhood is just joggery snobbery

So, does a jogger have that 'flight' between toe off and heel/midfoot/toe strike?  If not they are walking, but if so, they are running.  Ipso Facto, there is no such thing as a jogger. :p

#32 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

30 replies...I think the ad is working...

#33 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

View Postazza, on Jun 4 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

30 replies...I think the ad is working...
Azza - about half are mine, and can you tell me what brand those shoes were? :p

If so, don't.  I don't like to be influenced by marketing campaigns. :p

#34 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

Whether there is a real or perceived difference doesn't matter. If people want to call themselves 'joggers' or 'runners' already shows that there is a perceived difference.

To some, its what they see themselves as. My colleague at work calls himself a 'weekend warrior' soccer player. In other words, he is not a serious soccer player, has no aspirations and just turns up for training once a week. Why do runners get so touchy about it?

I don't think I would have put the training in, and guts it out to achieve what I did if I called myself a jogger- no disrespect. It was important for myself to see myself as a 'runner' and visualise the success in order to achieve the goal.

Others may feel there is some physical output , or 'real' , difference- much like you can see when a horse is 'trotting' as opposed to 'running' or racing. The speed at which you do it does not matter and varies from person to person- its the level of effort.
We once saw a young kid from up country race for the first time. He sat in the pack, and when we saw him my mate's jaw just dropped- "But....but he's only jogging", for that's what it looked like, so in our minds we had this level of effort, or style we associated with 'jogging' or 'running'. The other guys were 'running' and he was 'jogging' yet all going the same pace.
Think about guys like Bekele running at 3min k's

The shoe company obviously knows that some people distinguish, and therefore they will sell shoes based on the ad.

Just don't get so precious, or feel denigrated, by the labels.

Edited by Colin, 04 June 2007 - 11:22 PM.

#35 RNJ

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

Slight Hijack:  Anyone actually run/jog in these shoes?  Are they any good???

#36 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

View Postawiseman, on Jun 4 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

So, does a jogger have that 'flight' between toe off and heel/midfoot/toe strike?  If not they are walking, but if so, they are running.  Ipso Facto, there is no such thing as a jogger. :p
absolutely,they are all running,anyway i was looking for an excuse to use"joggery snobbery"

#37 sfGnome

Why not?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

It's wedge politics, nothing more. Designed to make you feel special by making you feel different, and if they achieve that by making someone else feel bad, they don't care. It seems to work especially well in Australian politics, but there's no reason that it has to work on you. Have the wisdom to turn off and tune out when you're being told that you're better because someone else is worse. There's pain for everyone at the end of that particular lie... :p >>

#38 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

I only read the large print and I liked it.  i thought it was cool the way the pages peeled back.  I also liked the run ugly ad.  Actually my favorite ad was the Adidas one where the guy was out so long his wife remarried and he told her on the door step "I said I was going for a long run" or something like that.

Although I do think that anyone that gets beat up about being called a jogger is a bit of a wanker.

One of the best clubs is called Kembla Joggers.

#39 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

this is all silly.  no one can run on a pedestal!

unless it was a kind of treadmill pedestal.

#40 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

View Posttim, on Jun 5 2007, 02:09 PM, said:

this is all silly.  no one can run on a pedestal!

unless it was a kind of treadmill pedestal.
a treddy peddy

#41 PodRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

It's easy to tell the difference.

A person running in football socks is a jogger.

#42 conradm

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

View Posttim, on Jun 5 2007, 01:25 PM, said:

I only read the large print and I liked it.  i thought it was cool the way the pages peeled back.  I also liked the run ugly ad.  Actually my favorite ad was the Adidas one where the guy was out so long his wife remarried and he told her on the door step "I said I was going for a long run" or something like that.

I like the ad too, it's pretty clever. I wish I'd seen the wife remarrying one, now that's funny!

#43 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

NAH they can take a run n jump

#44 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

View PostPodRunner, on Jun 6 2007, 01:59 AM, said:

It's easy to tell the difference.

A person running in football socks is a jogger.
... there are some reasonably fast footballers!

a few weeks back i saw a football-sock-and-short wearer up ahead and thought i'd try to catch up to him. on a bend he saw that i had sped up. so he did too. anyway we both kept on stepping up the pace until i finally got him with a 3;35km. had a pleasant chat about his training which had a fair bit of running in it... definitely a runner. he was on a 20km run himself.

re clothing snobbery amongst runners. 'serious' people like the loin cloths and singlets even in a melb winter. always good to overtake them while wearing boardies and an old t-shirt...looking like a jogger. :p

#45 PodRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

Sorry Rohan, forgot to add the  :p

I frequently train in footy socks.

I remember before children when I was permitted to rockclimb, we would all wear black or army socks with our sticky boots, plus cut-off jeans and crap old torn shirts as an anti-fashion statement against the lycra wearers. I wonder if there's a derogatory name for climbers who don't wear patterned lycra.

#46 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

View PostPodRunner, on Jun 7 2007, 09:53 AM, said:

Sorry Rohan, forgot to add the  :p

I frequently train in footy socks.

I remember before children when I was permitted to rockclimb, we would all wear black or army socks with our sticky boots, plus cut-off jeans and crap old torn shirts as an anti-fashion statement against the lycra wearers. I wonder if there's a derogatory name for climbers who don't wear patterned lycra.

that is cool.  

I like the anti-fashion statement.  but on a hot day running in cotton just plain sucks.  

there was a post a while ago about real aussie runners and it was quite inspirational.  i wish i had bookmarked it or something.

#47 blair

old, fat and unfit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

View Postrohan, on Jun 7 2007, 09:42 AM, said:

re clothing snobbery amongst runners. 'serious' people like the loin cloths and singlets even in a melb winter. always good to overtake them while wearing boardies and an old t-shirt...looking like a jogger. :p

I always wear boardies and an old t-shirt  :p

#48 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hey,
I used to wear the colored lycra lol.
Remember the G string leotards, yep had one of those too... :p

#49 yeti

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

View PostPodRunner, on Jun 6 2007, 08:53 AM, said:

I wonder if there's a derogatory name for climbers who don't wear patterned lycra.
Mountaineers ?

Yeti

#50 harviekrumpet

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

For me I think the word jogger is to runner as coke is to cola:  a bit like going to the bar and asking for a bourbon and coke - even if they serve it with pepsi.

Is there a difference really? Both jogging and running involve getting off your arse and going for a RUN!

Bloody septics!