#1 Toffy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hi All,

Haven't seen anything posted yet about this year's Mt. Wilson to Bilpin Bush Run [Willy to Billy] so thought I'd get something rolling to see who else might be having a crack?

My running buddy, Janelle and I are in, this being the first event we ran together in 2004, so a 'sentimental favourite' as well as a great opportunity to be involved in a well organised, intimate, friendly event through some beautiful country in the Blue Mountains. It's also a major fundraiser for the local bushfire brigades whose members do such a great job organising, running and marshalling this event, so another reason why we like to get involved.

Cheers
Toffy.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Bristol City FC

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

I've earmarked this one as a qualifier for 6 foot. Anyone know what the qualifying time is?

#3 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

BCFC you should look at website before posting.

JoggerKev is going to give you an atomic slam.

thomo

Edited Mt Wilson to Bilpin run in sub 4hrs 30mins

Edited by thomo, 17 July 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#4 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

Toffy,

I'm a "maybe" for the W2B this year.  It was great fun last year; just a pity it is on the same weekend as the Lake Macquarie 1/2 Marathon - which is also a top event.

Too many runs, not enough weekends!

Hope all is well for yourself & "Team Toffy."

Cheers/Chris

#5 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

All things going well, I will definitely be there for my favourite run of the year. ;)

#6 Toffy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

G'day Tuttle,

Yes, all's well thanks - just sent you a 'goss update' email.......

I see in the latest Ultramag that you came in 12th out of a contingent of 43 Aussies at Comrades in June
which is mighty fine effort in conjunction with your sub 9hr, Bill Rowan medal finish - well done mate!

Cheers
Toffy

#7 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

I will be there again. Ran this last year as my qualifier for 6ft and fell in love with the course. it is trail runners heaven. sub 3.45 this year.  Oh what a difference a year makes. see you all there.

#8 Owly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm in.  My second target event for the year.  Never run it before as last year I wasn't fit to run.  Looking forward to it!

#9 Sub50

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Would love to be there on the day, I ran this for the first time last year as my 6 foot qualifier. I think this may have been the first step down the dark side of the running force also ;) .

This year I am trailwalking but will be back the year after to give it a bash.

Good luck everyone.

#10 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

The day after trailwalker makes it a bit close for me.
Will be back next year for sure.
Great run well organised.

Brick
;)

#11 wazza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'm in for my favourite event of the year - targetting a sub 3 hour finish (ie 2:59:59) but realistically will be happy with anything under 3:10

#12 Bristol City FC

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

View Postthomo, on Jul 17 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

BCFC you should look at website before posting.

JoggerKev is going to give you an atomic slam.

thomo

Edited Mt Wilson to Bilpin run in sub 4hrs 30mins

;) excuse my laziness! thanks anyway. Atomic Slam? that sounds like a very good drink!

#13 Sarge

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Entered online yesterday. This is a great race and well organised. This will also be my first chance to be in the Striders group photo. ;) See you all there ;)

#14 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

This is race on my "to do list".  Hoping to be standing the on start line again this year.

Edited by Bernie G, 18 July 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#15 scurry711

Shit Runner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

I know on the website it says that entries close by mail on the 20th August, but does anyone know if they take entries on the day as well? There's a certain conference on in Sydney around that time that sort of precludes me from committing to anything around that time until the last minute  ;)

Edited by scurry711, 18 July 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#16 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

View Postscurry711, on Jul 18 2007, 01:50 PM, said:

I know on the website it says that entries close by mail on the 20th August, but does anyone know if they take entries on the day as well? There's a certain conference on in Sydney around that time that sort of precludes me from committing to anything around that time until the last minute  ;)
They have certainly taken entries on the day in previous years. Why don't you try emailing Margaret just to make sure?

#17 scurry711

Shit Runner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

View PostHorrie, on Jul 17 2007, 10:04 PM, said:

They have certainly taken entries on the day in previous years. Why don't you try emailing Margaret just to make sure?
I will thanks. I meant to do this one last year but got injured, sounds like a great event.

#18 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Scurry - I am a big "on the day" fan as well. however last year I entered online at 23:50 the night before and they had my entry all ready by 9am or whatever on race day. That was last minute enough for me. VERY impressed with that service.

#19 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

View Postscurry711, on Jul 18 2007, 01:50 PM, said:

There's a certain conference on in Sydney around that time that sort of precludes me from committing to anything around that time until the last minute <_<

Is it something that you have Control over or will it be Kaos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Smart
http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/ ;)

Attached Files

#20 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

I'll be there again as well - I also ran this for the first time last year as my six foot qualifier (although I didn't actually run it for that reason, I just wanted to have a nice day out on the trails, but ended up qualifying for Six Foot as a result  ;) ).

Am looking forward to this - I hated the downhill section last year, so this year I'm going to get my revenge on that 7K of downhill!!!

Wonder how cold it will be at the start - I remember being frozen waiting for the start last year and this year has been so much colder!

#21 Lynda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

I'm up for this run, and looking forward to it!
Last year I entered, then came down with the flu a few days before and so was a DNS.

#22 Anne Victor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

I'll be there this year - my come-back to trail running after an absence of 9 plus years! Scary thought!  

Hope I don't get lost. ;)
AV

#23 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

I have just enetered and am REALLY excited  - by all accounts it sounds like a fantastic event!

Would also like to qualify for 6ft using this event. I would quite struggle to get under 4hrs in a marathon (4:18 for Hunter, my first) so wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether this may be possible for somebody of my speed?

#24 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

it depends on how good a bush runner you are. Qualifying for 6ft at W2B is probably easier than running road marathon, particulary if you are good in the bush.

#25 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Jul 25 2007, 11:26 AM, said:

I have just enetered and am REALLY excited  - by all accounts it sounds like a fantastic event!

Would also like to qualify for 6ft using this event. I would quite struggle to get under 4hrs in a marathon (4:18 for Hunter, my first) so wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether this may be possible for somebody of my speed?
You should be able to qualify for 6ft. Expect to run 25/30mins quicker than a marathon.

#26 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

Toffy,

I'm a "maybe" for the W2B this year.
Too many runs, not enough weekends!
Cheers/Chris

Getting a bit old dear chap dont you mean too many weekends not enough runs

Willy to Billy plus Lake macq half should be a nice training run

Excuses excuses excesses

All the best

Lou

#27 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

I used the on-line entry facility today. . . .  I'm looking forward to the run, and associated socializing, & then being a spectator at Lake Mac the next day, when Ms. Tuttle, along with several of our friends, will be doing the 1/2.  (Sorry Louis, but I'm not quite as much of a running machine as you.)

Cheers,
Chris

#28 Grandpa

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Never got closer than 100m to Sporstsman last year and may be worse this year although I could be strong in the early stages. I was a bit crook on the day and the race felt like the worst thing I'd ever done. If I went any slower up the last 5k hill, I'd have been going backwards. They offered me a stretcher after I lay down at the finish and I was too proud to say "yes" but I was feeling more than half dead and suffered silently in the hall.

Don't expect it to be as bad this time although I've had problems in all long runs. Now its the aching, swelling left foot and grinding toes resulting from my injury earlier this year. I'm only comfortable for about 10k. BUT I'LL BE THERE!!!

#29 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Last year's Willy to Billy was my first ever bush run, and I loved every minute of it. Was the springboard for entering this year's Six Foot and I'm completely hooked on trail running now!

Compared to other suburban & city events, this was the best supported race I'd seen in terms of volunteers, aid stations and drinks, fruit, lollies etc supplied for participants, especially considering the relatively low number of runners.

There were a couple of times where, having just climbed a steep hill and trying to catch my breath, I looked to the side of the track and saw the most amazing views of valleys and distant mountains. I promise one day when I'm not trying to set a PB, I'll take it easy and bring my camera on the run.

Tip for new entrants - despite seeing others boarding the bus in singlet and shorts at Bilpin car park to go to the Start, LEAVE YOUR WARM CLOTHES ON (I made this mistake last year and couldn't get enough toast and tea to keep warm).

#30 Owly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'm time poor at the moment so don't have time to trawl through the forum to see if someone asked this in previous years.   I'd appreciate any advice on pacing for Willy2Billy.  I'm going to have a crack at qualifying for 6ft (gulp) and I'm not sure how to pace myself on this course, having never run it before.  

Dear moderators
I sincerely apologise if this is in the wrong category...I couldn't decide between "other genres" and "races NSW"

#31 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

More info would be good, things like 10K/c2s/Half Marathon/Marathon times what ever you have.
Also what is your longest run and longest race.
It is really hard to comment about pace without a reference point.

Brick
:LOL:

#32 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Owly, W2B is a 35km run which you need to break down into sections. There are several short sharp hills in the first 15km so you need to start out slow so you don't spend all your bickies too early. Then there is a lovely 5-6km section that runs along a road which is quite shaded so you just hold it nice and steady along here. Then you come to a nice long 6km drop. Again, you just have to roll down the hill without overcooking it as you don't want to smash your quads because then you have a 6km climb back up to the road. This is easiest the toughest part of the race because if you have overcooked it earlier, you will struggle big time on this climb. Then the last km or 2 that goes along the road to the finish seems to take forever. If you have paced yourself well Owly, you will get to the finish in under 4 and a half hours. Good luck with it!

#33 Will

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi Owly,

I think Horrie is spot on. I think the key is to be able to run the last uphill.
So just cruise the first part and walk the uphills (they are short but very steep), the flat section is very nice so enjoy it and keep it at a comfortable pace. Then comes the long downhill, you'll see a lot of people bolting down that hill, don't be tempted, you'll trash your quads, keep it nice and easy. Last year, I also thought that taking a 1mn break at the aid station at the bridge before the last uphill to take on fluids ands energy drinks  was really helpful. And then it's all in your head, just force yourself to run up as much as possible that last long hill. This is when you'll thank yourself for not going out too hard for the first 25km, you will see a lot of people walking because they went too fast at the beginning.

Finally, it's true that the last 1,5km is very very very long, but I guess it's part of the fun...If you run smart, you'll get there under 4h30 without a problem!

#34 pipi

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

If there is anybody from the Illawarra (Wollongong) wanting to run Willy2Billy and wanting to car pool then please send me a message.  I am keen to enter, but find the drive a bit long by myself.

Pipi (Phil)

#35 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning to be there, now I know my schedule for the next few weeks.
I'll use it as a training run for the Kepler Challenge at the end of the year.
ChookLegs....

#36 Owly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Will and Horrie thanks!  That's just the advice I was looking for. :LOL:

#37 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I will also be at this race. My question is  - would it be better to wear trail shoes or normal road shoes?

Thx!

#38 Will

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Aug 8 2007, 03:36 PM, said:

Hi,
I will also be at this race. My question is  - would it be better to wear trail shoes or normal road shoes?
Thx!

Ran it in my normal Asics 2110 last year and no problems!

I think I would take the trail shoes only if it had been raining a lot.

#39 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Hi - to add my thoughts - I ran this in my road shoes last year and it was fine up until the long downhill stretch, where I felt EVERY stone!  So this year I will be running in my trail shoes and hope for a much more comfortable run. I do have some great lightweight trail shoes though - not sure I would want to run this in heavy trail shoes (or any trail for that matter).

#40 haggis basher

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

A tip for any inexperienced runners: On the last 6km uphill, try a fast walk for 50metres, then run semi-hard for 100m, and count the strides when you do it. (It helps to take your mind off the climb)  I did that the last W2B, and I was the same distance from most of the people that ran all the way up! (and quods not as tired!)

I have done this a few times on other steep climbs, at first my 'ego' was bruised, but finally succumbed to common sense.

Will not be doing the run this year, as I competing the same day at the Sutherland National Park half marathon.

Wish you all a great run.

#41 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

I'm keen to do this race but I need a lift up. Is anybody from the eastern suburbs heading out that way that I could grab a lift with?

#42 Will

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

View PostFakePlasticTrees, on Aug 12 2007, 08:58 AM, said:

I'm keen to do this race but I need a lift up. Is anybody from the eastern suburbs heading out that way that I could grab a lift with?

Hey FPT,

I should be there. In that case no problem to give you a lift up there and back.

Looking forward to a great day!

#43 Zed

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

View PostWill, on Aug 13 2007, 02:53 PM, said:

Hey FPT,

I should be there. In that case no problem to give you a lift up there and back.

Looking forward to a great day!

Will and FPT

I am hoping to go as well, so perhaps we can triple up?

As long as you speedsters are prepared to wait for me at the end.

Zed

#44 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

View PostZed, on Aug 14 2007, 04:40 PM, said:

Will and FPT

I am hoping to go as well, so perhaps we can triple up?

As long as you speedsters are prepared to wait for me at the end.

Zed

Sounds good. Will's a damn sight faster than me so we'd be holding him up.

I didn't catch you after C2S, how did you go?

#45 Will

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

View PostFakePlasticTrees, on Aug 14 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

Sounds good. Will's a damn sight faster than me so we'd be holding him up.

I didn't catch you after C2S, how did you go?

Hi guys,

Happy to car pool with you. I really don't mind waiting at the end, I'll just have a couple of those steack sandwiches prepared by the fire brigade, they are just unbelievable.

#46 Anne Victor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hi Guys,
Am doing W2B for the first time this year. Have just looked at the course description on the W2B web-site and there seems to be a number of sections on fire trails and bitumen.

Can those of you who have run it before let me know whether I should wear trail shoes for this one or should I just use my road running shoes? Keen to get your advice.

Thanks in advance.
AV

#47 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi AV!

If your trail shoes are suitable for running on the bitumen then I would go for them. There is far more trail to contend with than bitumen.  

I was going to be wearing my trail shoes (Salamons) but it looks like I will be out of this race now due to injury.  :LOL:

Have a great run!

#48 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi Anne,

I asked this question a few posts back - the consensus seemed to be that either will do. Also my first time.

Damn I am soooooo excited about this run !!!!!

#49 ChookLegsMonkeyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'll be there as well, and am also looking forward to a great day.
Think I'll run in Brooks Adrenaline ASRs - the off road version of their standard Adrenalines. These worked very well for me at 6-Ft Track, and should be fine for this run, since they offer a bit more protection than the road shoe, but are still comfy enough for relatively fast running on fire trails, etc.
Cheers.

#50 Anne Victor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

Thanks, guys!

Looks like I'll be wearing my trail shoes.  :LOL:
AV