12 replies to this topic

#1 blair

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap heart rate monitor. I am hoping to spend less than $50. the only function I need is zone alerts.

Thanks.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Slow Sue

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Big W have them for $50 I did read somewhere that someone has one and it works fine. Not sure of the functions though........look in the sports section not the watches section.

#3 Fossil

Keith Bateman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

I cannot remember what it cost (2 years ago now) but I was recommended to get an OMRON, which I did. It's easy to use and very accurate (have checked it 3 times now with Doctor's) - OMRON M4

#4 Danny

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi Balri - K Mart has them too, I think its the Ian Thorpe Brand.

Good luck,

Danny

#5 Earlyrunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hi Balri,

A running friend of mine has one that she bought for $50 from Kathmandu - they are normally $100 but twice a year they have a 50% off sale (I think it is on right now) and she got it for $50.  I know this HRM has a zone alert function.

I hope you get what you want.

Cheers, Earlyrunner.

#6 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Earlyrunner. I will try to get down there at lunch time tomorrow to check them out.

I checked Target and Big W on the weekend and couldn't find any. Yet to check K-Mart.

#7 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

Well, I went to Kathmandu in the city last week and the only HRM they had was $100. But...

...I was at DFO out at the airport today and spied a Kathmandu so I decided to have a look. They had HRMs for only $44.95. I asked the guy what was wrong with them and he said that they were just an older model.

You beauty!

#8 Danny

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Balri,

Great shopping!  Have fun with it!

Cheers,

Danny

#9 Mickey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

View Postbalri, on Aug 4 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

...I was at DFO out at the airport today and spied a Kathmandu so I decided to have a look. They had HRMs for only $44.95. I asked the guy what was wrong with them and he said that they were just an older model.

Balri, did you end up getting a HRM from DFO, if so what was the brand/model number?

I'm looking for a cheap HRM that will also measure splits.  If it will also tell me my avg HR for each split then that is a bonus.

I work at the Airport, so it's convenient for me to pop in and have a look if the one you bought might be suitable.

Mike

#10 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

View PostMickey, on Aug 12 2007, 07:52 PM, said:

I'm looking for a cheap HRM that will also measure splits.  If it will also tell me my avg HR for each split then that is a bonus.

I can't find a model number but it is Kathmandu branded. It doesn't measure splits though and isn't able to give an average HR for the workout.

Just about the only feature it does have is the out of zone alerts which is what I needed for and the price was right. :LOL:

#11 Morley

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

My first HRM was a Dcik Smith special. Cheap and great. Basic and easy to use. Not a lot of functions but what I wanted. I stuffed it up by trying to change the battery Should have just got another instead of a Polar.

#12 chookrunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hey balri

Have you checked the stop watch function for accuracy. I bought one of the Kathmandu ones and it  seems to be all over the place. I raced on Saturday and they were calling the splits, at one call I was 9 seconds behind, then up by a few seconds then behind again.

Not that I'm perturbed, because I bought it for the HR function, but just interested if yours is similarly inaccurate

Chook

#13 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

View PostFossil, on Jul 20 2007, 03:57 PM, said:

I cannot remember what it cost (2 years ago now) but I was recommended to get an OMRON, which I did. It's easy to use and very accurate (have checked it 3 times now with Doctor's) - OMRON M4

That is a blood pressure monitor, not a heart rate monitor.

Most blood pressure monitors will tell you your heart rate (once), but they're a bit inconvenient to use whilst running!