20 replies to this topic

#1 stats-freak

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:30 PM

Can anyone tell me why I always feel extremely cold and shiver about 30+ minutes after running? It even happens in 36 degree heat (which is kind of nice come to think of it...). Does anyone else have this problem? Someone suggested dehydration, but I always run with a water bottle... Weird, huh?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Runner In The Hills

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hi Stats freak and welcome.
Gotta be, has to be dehydration. It doesn't matter that you run with a drink bottle. If you are a little low when you start, don't take enough in when you run or just as importantly afterward then the dreaded 'D' WORD can get you. I've had the same phenomenon  and it always comes down to hydration.
      Rith

#3 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

I notice a mild drop in body temperature quite often after a run, particularly if I don't shower right away or do something else to preserve my body heat. Can't remember the reasoning behind it, but from memory it seems to be quite common- I'll try to look up some material later. I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 Gronk

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Rather than hydration, I would say that your blood glucose levels are/were low.

I experienced sever "shakes and shivers" after a race in December. I am on a low GI diet and neglected to consume high GI before and after the race. Within a few hours I was in bed trying to get warm and it was 28C outside.

My sports dietician recommends gatorade and a banana after a long run.

#5 Louise

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:09 PM

I get the same thing sometimes, and it usually takes a shower to warm me up again. A friend said that it might be low blood pressure after a run, but I've always put it down to not changing out of sweaty running clothes (especially the crop-top bra) straight away.

#6 courtlylove

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:27 PM

I get the same thing too, if I don't change out of the damp running clothes. Doesn't happen if I change into dry clothes.

#7 JC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, me too. 100% curable by a shower, thankfully!

#8 MarkO

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:43 PM

Stats-freak,

Interesting issue, I have also experienced chills, but I don't think it is dehydration as I usually run with a lot of water.  

Not sure about the damp clothes as I have got back from a run in the rain and jumped straight into a hot shower and experienced chills whilst standing in the shower  :rolleyes:  and I felt quite warm on the run.

Could be lack of glucose, I will try and experiment with that.

Whatever the cause, it doesn't seem to have caused me any problems.

Regards
MarkO

#9 IanKemp

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

StatsFreak, I have no answer as to why but I experience the same thing, it seems to have developed gradually over the last 5 years.  The chill seems to cut in after a race rather than a regular slow run.  Seems to happen a long time after my pulse has returned to normal.  Hasn't killed me yet :-)

#10 casper

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:19 PM

I'd agree with Gronk. I will often have that problem if I don't eat enough and soon enough afetr a longhard run. Generally cuerd by a bag of lolloes or a sports drink or ice block, ie lots of sugar.

#11 kt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

I get it too, but only after long runs.  I have two (made-up) theories - one is that my body is just low on energy and, having cooled down, isn't able to get itself warm again.  The other is that after running for a long time the capillaries under your skin are probably wide open - perhaps they take a while to contract again, and you lose a lot of heat in the meantime?  Maybe it's a bit of both...

#12 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

So nice to read that I am not a freak!  

My husband cannot understand that I can come home from a run all red and sweaty, then 20 minutes later I'm shivering and covered with goosebumps.  After a long run it will take me a good couple of hours to get back to normal.

I would have to agree with KT that my (also made up) theory is that I have used up my energy and can't get warm (blood sugar, etc).  I will still be freezing after a hot shower or bath.  Eating a good meal soon after (and probably before too) helps.

#13 Colac

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:35 PM

Sounds similar to diabetic shakes from low blood sugar.

Quick shower, warm food and sugary fluid, put on your track suit to keep yourself warm for a few hours.

Tell hubby he is lucky to have a fit wife, and he can run the ship for a couple of more hours while you spoil yourself with a post run feast, and do a pilates stretch to music.

If you are slim, your body will chill quickly when your blood reduces from 39-40C running temperature back to normal 36-37C.

You are more likely to chill if you have not eaten much solid food in the 3-4 hours before a run.  

A lot of the core heat comes from a tummy full of warm food.

If the tummy is empty, and you do a long run, you are depleting things further.  

Your blood will be hot from the muscles working really hard and giving off heat, but as soon as you stop, heat production falls away quickly if you don't remove wet clothes and have a feed.

I once had a sick baby, and I was surprised to see how much her temperature changed during 24 hours with hourly checks.  

Certain times of the day, you are more vulnerable to chilling after exercise, but it's got a lot to do with how much food is in the stomach, and what clothes you are wearing.

Track suits were designed to keep you extra warm for several hours after a long run, whilst you are recovering.

#14 stats-freak

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one... And as some of you pointed out, it does get pretty bad after long hard runs.

I really don't think dehydration is the answer because I do drink at least 2 litres a day, plus the water I run with. I've tried tracksuits after races and it does delay it a little, but I still need a shower to warm up...

It could be glucose related, because I never eat before running, so I'll try that and see how it goes. The low blood pressure idea sounds promising too because I mine is always on the low side of normal. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them...

#15 Gronk

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

Here is a link to a report on  Exercise  Hypoglycemia in nondiabetic subjects.

Hope this helps.

Gronk

#16 IanKemp

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:24 AM

Hi all

This is a report back from someone who regularly got 'the chills' after a race (not training runs).

After the Welly half marathon last week I got stuck right in to a bag of fruit bursts (fruit flavoured chewy lollies) YUM!!  No sign of the chills, though admittedly the weather was warm.

Today's after-work 5km at the Wellington Waterfront.  After the equiv race 2 weeks ago, definitely an onset of the chills while waiting for the bus home.  Today I glugged a bottle of 'e' (sugary fruit drink) and no chills despite it being a cool evening.

So my vote goes with the sugar theory, I am now prepared with a fix and thanks to those who contributed here. :-)

#17 southy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

My vote goes with the sugar theory. I get the chills too if I don't eat something after trainng or racing. Especially in the winter when it's cold and I have to drive home about 30 minutes from training. No matter how many warm clothes I put on I will start getting very cold (even with the heater on in the car), to the point of feeling hypothermic almost unless I eat something as soon as I finish training. Usually a sweet drink or snack keeps the chills away until I can get home and eat a warm meal.
It happens in the summer too but not nearly so bad of course. I always take a snack or sweet drink to have after training or racing.

#18 wombatface

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:51 AM

southy said: 'It happens in the summer too but not nearly so bad of course.'

Except when it's February 3 at Calwell and the wind-chill temperature is about -2C. I'm so glad I wasn't on the motorbike.  (w)

#19 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

I've had this a few times now after a hard run where I have really pushed myself (races).  Yesterday I even felt it during the race, and the weather is far from cold.

The theories seem mixed from this thread and another: http://www.coolrunni...p?showtopic=363

Edited by AndyP, 16 March 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#20 southy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

My gosh Gronk - what  a read !

Interesting though. Thank you for the link.

I wish we could share and discus more articles here on Cool Running. I learn a lot from reading and then discussing the ideas with others and hearing about their experiences.

I firmly believe in my case it was low blood sugar. Sometimes , especially if it was cold outside I would be shivering,  and my hands and feet were white & numb driving home after training. Once I started taking a drink (juice, choc milk, gatorade) and drinking it immediately after training I haven't had any more problems with it. Even some fruit seems to stop it.
I also believe having some sugar after training helps keep me from getting sick too. I have been much healthier since. I can't remember the last time I had a cold.

Edited by southy, 17 March 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#21 twosheds

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

I get this on morning runs in the winter- even a shower doesnt stop the shivering (damn water restrictions). Never considered it because i dont eat before- will try it out. havent had a problem over summer- but  getting a bit chilly now. I never even noticed that I dont have the same porblem on winter evenings.
I even got cold during a run a couple of times- weird feeling- but that was  afew years ago.
Two sheds