• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

#1 Hoff

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

hey guys

im gettin serious with my running, and i need a goal to work towards. what times do you think a really fit person could achieve on say 4km, or 5km?

thanks

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Peterhorse

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Welcome to CR Hoff

hmmm...a "piece of string" type question there mate. not meaning to sounding limiting, but it's relative to your own capabilities. e.g. what is your definition of really fit?

goals should pass the SMART test - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and have a suitable Timeframe.

to get you going and set an initial goal, perhaps find a ~5k route that you can do regularly (e.g. once per month) as a time trial, go for it to get a "now" time, then set a goal of ~10% faster than that in 3 months from now. using a race or fun run event for the big test is a good way to really extend yourself.

#3 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hi Hoff,
You're better off seting your goals on your abilities, not others. Good runners are good because they put in the work over years and years. Just because you're 'fit' wont make you a fast runner.

Work out what you can run 5k in, and then set you goals based on that. Focus on YOU not others.

But if you're still curious check out the results of previous races and you'll get a good idea of the distribution of race times.

Cheers,
PC

#4 ican

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

The recent Melbourne Marathon 5.5k male finishers times ranged from 18:36 to 2hours 5 minutes.  A good time for me is faster than my last run.

#5 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Hi Hoff-welcome to cool running.
Cant really add much to what has already been said.  Really fit isn't necessarily really fast.  It also depends what distance you have trained for-someone who normally runs marathons wont normally be as fast over 5km as someone of similar fitness who has trained for that distance.  My personal benchmark for 5km-which I am yet to achieve-is 20 minutes.  But as peterhorse said it's really like asking how long is a piece of string.
What time have you done 4 or 5 km in so far?

#6 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

you might get even an answer like this :

good time for 5000m is 12:40

but anything under 13:00 is still acceptable

#7 MarkL

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:32 PM

View PostRudolf, on Nov 3 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

I was just going to laugh this off however, Rudolf, even though I'm not easily worried by comments on public chat boards your one is pretty unhelpful.  I think you have to remember this is a forum for amateur running enthusiasts and comments like yours seem to be aimed at belittling enthusiasm and stopping posting.  Anyway have you ever run under 13 minutes?:LOL:

Hoff I think a good time for a running enthusiast (male) for running 5km which is a nice distance to run by the way is about 17-21 minutes and is a lot of fun.

Hope you go well and as I was properly advised on this forum don't take it too seriously - treat it as fun and a life sport (unless you can run as fast as Rudolf?) as none of us are realistically going to go close to world records. :(

#8 Little K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Lighten up MarkL. Seemed like a pretty amusing comment to me and clearly tongue in cheek. We all know that sub-13.30 is acceptable anyway.  :LOL:

#9 Little K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

Hoff, just go try punch out a 5km as quick as you can, and then make it your goal to better that. Or if you want to raise the bar, run a 2.5km time trial, and times that time by 2, and that's a good goal to strive for down the track, and a challenging one at that.

#10 DrJH

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:20 AM

View PostLittle K, on Nov 3 2007, 09:58 PM, said:

Lighten up MarkL. Seemed like a pretty amusing comment to me and clearly tongue in cheek. We all know that sub-13.30 is acceptable anyway.  :LOL:
I'm glad 13.30 is acceptable. I just make the grade!

#11 MizukiNoguchi

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

Obviously, it's all completely subjective. You can throw yourself completely off track by worrying about anything other than your next target time, which should simply be to improve. Keep your training aimed at that next target but leave fantasy times in the back of your mind. For what it's worth, i think for a male, like any distance anything which is your best effort is acceptable, under 17.30 is solid, sub 16 is good 5km running and sub 14.30 is elite, everyone will have a different opinion.

#12 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

For most of the small local races, under 20 minutes will get you in the pointy end (top 10%).
edit:for 5k's that is.
But, by far the best way is to run the fastest 5k you can, then work on improving (as suggested).

Edited by azza, 05 November 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#13 Chopper the Hands man

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

I think 4 minute K's places you in a respectable category and is achievable for anyone given the training and dedication.

#14 djc42

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

View PostChopper the Hands man, on Nov 5 2007, 09:09 AM, said:

I think 4 minute K's places you in a respectable category and is achievable for anyone given the training and dedication.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the 'achievable for anyone given the training and dedication' bit; IMHO a 'good' time is one that comes close to your genetic potential. Some people will never run under 25minutes for 5k, not matter what they do, and 25:30 would be a fantastic result for them. Elites like Mottram et al. are blessed with genes/biochemistry/biomechanics/etc. that enable them to run fast ; yes, they train hard, but others could train and race just as hard (for them) and not even break 20 minutes but are just as worthy of our respect.

D

#15 remttid

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

Some people will never run under 25minutes for 5k, not matter what they do

I agree with chopper; short of a physical handicap, you are doing something very wrong if you cant lose weight and / or get fit enough to run 5 k under 25 minutes.

As per usual, just my 2 cents worth.

#16 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hi all,

Here's a site that has a pretty neat ranking system - pop in your time and age, and it gives your performance ranking compared to the rest of the world (well, estimated, anyway). Hoff, it should give you something to compare your own performance to. There is also a training pace calculator that is based on Daniel's Running Formula (good book if your looking for theories behind training).

edit:forgot the link:

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm

Edited by azza, 05 November 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#17 MizukiNoguchi

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

View Postazza, on Nov 5 2007, 08:40 PM, said:

Hi all,

Here's a site that has a pretty neat ranking system - pop in your time and age, and it gives your performance ranking compared to the rest of the world (well, estimated, anyway). Hoff, it should give you something to compare your own performance to. There is also a training pace calculator that is based on Daniel's Running Formula (good book if your looking for theories behind training).

edit:forgot the link:

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm

That's harsh Azza. It's not comparing you to 'the rest of the world', it's comparing to the best for your age in the world.

#18 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

AllysonFelix - didn't post it to be harsh, it's the only comparison site I've found.  As you posted above, it is all subjective -this site tried to make it an objective scale by basing it on world records. Plus, age-adjusted results are always useful (hoff didn't provide an age).

Edited by azza, 06 November 2007 - 09:17 AM.

#19 Razy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hi Hoff ;)  This is a bit late but I haven't been online for awhile.

I was in your position about a year and a half ago and I couldn't even run 1km without needing to rest for half an hour.  I started walking and just gradually got fast enough to jog.  I can now run 5km but it still takes me 30 minutes to do it.  I honestly believe you can't ask what a good time is - the best thing to do is to keep trying to better your last run.  It has worked for me.

The way I did it though was more being able to do the distance, then I'll worry about the time it has taken me.  Originally I ran 4km in 30 minutes.  My next goal is to be able to run 6km, once I can do that, I'll try to do it in 30 mins and take it from there.

Good luck with it all - I hope you work something out ^_^

#20 Slow Sue

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

I must have a physical handicap   ;)

#21 Ninja

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

Back around 1999-2000 I had my 5k time down to around 23:30 and was quite proud of it considering that I weight over 90kg. Now I am trying to get a time down around 30 mins or less as I have not trained consistantly over the last few years also I am closer to the 100kg mark these days.

Just try to beat your own times and not worry about how they compare to others ;)

#22 Aki

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

I don't like that website.  According to it, I am only faster than 37% of all 25 year olds.  I thought I was better than that. :LOL:

Good link though, I now know that it generally equates to 30:31 if I were up against Luckylegs' age group. ^_^

I now want it to get to sub 30! ;)

#23 thinkpink

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

Look at your PB if you can't run faster try going further. I find my 5k time per K is similar to 10k, with training I think my 20k would be close. maybe I train wrong but have decided I am built for endurance not speed. Mentaly I can cope with distance but if I try to go faster my brain tells me it hurts too much (go figure!).

#24 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

Well my percentage was 0.88% lol.

When I did my first ever fun run back in the 80's I learned that day that I was going to be a 'back of the packer', that is my place and has it stopped me getting out there and running. No way. I run against the conditions, and against myself. I run cause I love it and that I'm slow I couldn't care less.
I'm out there.
Oh yeah, I have the bestest CR buddies ever.

#25 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

I came close today at the Olympic dream run. 27-08 for the 5ks. That's it though. I can't see myself going any faster than that.  ;)

#26 thinkpink

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:50 PM

View PostSlow Sue, on Nov 25 2007, 05:00 PM, said:

I came close today at the Olympic dream run. 27-08 for the 5ks. That's it though. I can't see myself going any faster than that.  ;)

best be changing your name slow? sue I'm impressed with your time    ^_^

#27 Ninja

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

After a couple of months of consistant running on the treadmill  I have managed to get 4.7k done in 25 mins. So in theory I have achieved one of next years goals in being able to run 5k in less than 30 mins ;) However I probably should go for a 5k run on the road to test myself.

#28 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Thinkpink, I'm still on a high. Funny cause it's not a fast time but I was so rapt with it. I'm just hoping I can maintain it for a bit lol.

#29 sol

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

View PostSlow Sue, on Nov 26 2007, 08:55 PM, said:

Thanks Thinkpink, I'm still on a high. Funny cause it's not a fast time but I was so rapt with it. I'm just hoping I can maintain it for a bit lol.
Hey Sue, as has been said so many times in this thread, it's all relative! Maybe it's not a fast time compared to world records, but it is a fast time for you. Did you get that feeling of moving faster when you ran it? Feeling the strength in your legs? The ground moving along under you? I bet you did.

A year ago I ran my 5.3km run in 23:06. It's not a fast time, but it sure felt fast to me. ;)

Keep up the good work,
csol

#30 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hey csol,
That's it, you hit the nail on the head. I was flying. I was Wonder Woman lol. I'm STILL on a high and it's Tuesday nite! I tell you if you could bottle endorphins you'de make a million.

I'm so rapt with my time but you know it was about being out there. I was running again. I felt re-born. Do you get this stuff what I'm saying? Do I sound like a nut job lol.

It's been the 6 weeks of hard core cardio and weights that really did it for me. The gym stuff has really done it for me and I have learnt alot about myself over the last couple of days. If I can just get these achillies right I'd be the happiest person in the whole wide world.

#31 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

View PostSlow Sue, on Nov 27 2007, 08:36 PM, said:

Hey csol,
I'm so rapt with my time but you know it was about being out there. I was running again. I felt re-born. Do you get this stuff what I'm saying? Do I sound like a nut job lol.
You are a nut job-thats why we love you!

#32 sol

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hey csol,
That's it, you hit the nail on the head. I was flying. I was Wonder Woman lol. I'm STILL on a high and it's Tuesday nite!
Yep, that's what I'm talking about! Also felt this way when I ran my 10km so well the week after the Melbourne half in October.

I'm so rapt with my time but you know it was about being out there. I was running again. I felt re-born. Do you get this stuff what I'm saying?
I totally know what you're saying. I'm just going out there again at a very slow pace following some hamstring damage. It's killing me not being able to run at my normal pace, but just getting out there is like a breath of fresh air (I mean figuratively. Obviously it is also literally that too ;) )

But having just read through the link here (as recommended in another thread on %heart rate) I'm beginning to understand that these really slow runs (HR115-120) are exactly what I need to do if I want to run a comfortable marathon in a (for me) respectable time.

csol

#33 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hey csol, Didn't know you damaged your hammy! We saw a guy I know Sunday and I commented on how slow he was going and he showed me the back of his leg and it was black and blue (remember Wombat) and I'm like, how did you do that!!! And he said he'd torn his hamstring!!!! I'd never seen anything like it.

#34 BigAdam

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Hi Guys 'n' Gals,

My name is Adam, I'm new to the forum. I've been running for 14months now, 28yo and have gone from 126kg when I began down to 109kg at present. I've done 3 fun runs including this years city to surf. This thread seems pretty relevent to me so I will put my two bobs worth in......

When I first began running I only worked on how long I could jog for and slowly but surely getting my pulse higher and higher each session without any drama. During the City to Surf I held my pulse over 173bpm for over an hour and just qualified for next years SH2 group. I weighed 118kg. For ages I merely focused on endurance only and it has worked.

Now I am building up my speed week by week and this is where the fitness is beginning to improve, however, due to the endurance levels I built up (though very low compared to many other runners) I can push myself really hard and recover fairly quickly. At the moment a qick time for 5km for me would be around 26 minutes. My best run to date is a lap of Lake Tuggeranong in Canberra which is around 6.75km in 35:00. I am not even at an average level of fitness yet.

To see what a good time for an elite runner is just check the resuts from marathons and fun runs and do the maths to work it out, basically anything under 20min for 5km is pretty damn good. Like every one else is saying, just work on a time that is good for you. Unless you are a gifted talented natural athlete, it will take a long time, probably years to train yourself to an elite level.

The thing I love most about running is that it is a personal thing. Your results are your own. I love fun runs because your just run your own race at your own speed and everyone else is pretty much doing the same.

#35 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hi Adam-welcome to cool running.
That was quite a post for a first!  Nicely done! I really liked this quote:

View PostBigAdam, on Nov 28 2007, 08:35 PM, said:

The thing I love most about running is that it is a personal thing. Your results are your own. I love fun runs because your just run your own race at your own speed and everyone else is pretty much doing the same.

Really sums up what alot of people in this thread have been saying-it's not what is and what isn't a good time for 5km, it's what is and what isn't a good time for you

Congratulations on your weight loss-keep going and you'll be running 5km at around 20 minutes one day.  Every kg slows you down.
Good luck with both the continued weight loss and fitness and your running.

#36 Slow Sue

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hey Adam,

Great post, well done. And a huge Welcome.

#37 victoralias

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

View PostRudolf, on Nov 3 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

Ha ha, Rudolf. Tongue firmly implanted in cheek but true in a way.
With tongue in mouth but certainly not touching cheek let me say this:
elites always run for 4 or 5 k at sub-3 minute k pace with the really good ones (eg. Bekele or Mottram) getting closer to 2:30 per k whilst capable weekend warriors can cover off 5 k at sub-3:30 minute pace with the faster amongst them getting closer to 3:00. Women add about a minute (no jokes please!).

Hoff, I dare say sub-16 is the beginning of good 5 k times in any objective sense of the term 'good' (I'm the first to admit that my best -and only- official 5k time of 16:45 sucks and I'll be hoping to improve on that soon). Subjectively speaking I guess any time could conceivably be a good one though. It all depends on your inherent physical characteristics...

Edited by victoralias, 29 November 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#38 sol

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

View PostSlow Sue, on Nov 28 2007, 04:56 PM, said:

Hey csol, Didn't know you damaged your hammy! We saw a guy I know Sunday and I commented on how slow he was going and he showed me the back of his leg and it was black and blue (remember Wombat) and I'm like, how did you do that!!! And he said he'd torn his hamstring!!!! I'd never seen anything like it.
Sounds ugly ;) Fortunately my hamstring's nothing like that! Just a little niggle (after stupidly doing three 40m sprints on the beach with the kids) and the physio managed to find a small tear. She's given me the OK to up the speed and distance now, but still take it easy. Oh, and no more sprints up the beach without a little training in that area!

Cheers,
csol

#39 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

View Postcsol, on Nov 29 2007, 09:48 AM, said:

Sounds ugly ;) Fortunately my hamstring's nothing like that! Just a little niggle (after stupidly doing three 40m sprints on the beach with the kids) and the physio managed to find a small tear. She's given me the OK to up the speed and distance now, but still take it easy. Oh, and no more sprints up the beach without a little training in that area!

Cheers,
csol
it was very ugly-looked like he'd been kicked by a horse wearing size 10 blundstones!

#40 BigAdam

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

I just had a thought. It's good to judge time over a distance and all, but take into consideration how many unfit and over weight people there are in this country, surely the ability to do 5km is good in itself???

#41 Chelli

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:58 AM

I think it is fair to say that under 20 minutes for 5 kilometres and under 16 minutes for 4 kilometres is fairly good for someone starting out. The majority of people couldn't achieve this even at a young adult age. For the female population as their VO2max is generally an  average 10% lower I would say 18 minutes for 4km and and 22:30 for 5km.