15 replies to this topic

#1 Tenzing

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

Under the knife tomorrow for a mole on my ankle. Doc reckons 10 days of no running  ;)  . Anyone experience a shorter time-frame, quicker recovery?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 orlando

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

It depends a little bit on exactly where on your ankle it is, and how big the cut is(and hence how many stitches) but that sounds about right.  It's not exactly recovery that's the issue but if you put any tension on the wound before it's healed it could come apart and need resuturing.

#3 TFive

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

If the Dr said "10 days" then you shouldn't run for ten days - I recently had one removed from my shoulder. I didn't think it would be an issue so I continued to run. The stitches ended up coming out and I had to go back and have them re done - I think the scar is bigger because of tearing not to mention it took twice as long to heal.  ;)

Hope it goes ok.

Edited by TFive, 06 December 2007 - 07:51 PM.

#4 Mickey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

When I was a youngster I had a mole removed from my lower back.  It was a long time ago, so I can't remember the exact timing, but I busted the stitches doing a milk-run.  I ended up with I nice hole in my back into which dad insisted on pouring metho to dry it out.

Mike

#5 The Sloth

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

I had a mole removed from my thigh last year. It was a bit of a hack job, and the 'waterproof' sticky patch they put on to protect it came off within the first day. The doc then said a couple of days rest is all it needed. But I wouldn't take his advice - as I said, hack job and I have the scar to show for it.
I would have thought 10 days was a bit excessive though - but what would I know?

#6 4eyez

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

Definitely listen to the Doc. When they remove moles they take an extra margin of tissue to make sure any cancerous tissue is taken and most ankles don't have lots of loose skin to play with. Let the skin heal properly and you'll have nothing to worry about. You don't want wound breakdown and infection and longer off running. Ten days is nothing in the scheme of things

#7 Puntermatt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

Mate, I had a mole removed from the top of my foot after the GC Marathon. Ended up having 13 days off as it was a tad slow to heal.

PM

#8 Ellie80

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

good luck with it Tenzing - I have much sympathy - I had one cut off the middle of my back when I was 9 and the experience doesn't rate in my best childhood memories. I hope that it heals quickly but make sure you rest because they really can cause some nasty scarring.

#9 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

I'd take the 10 days and enjoy the holidays! Put it in perspective - a month from now, is it really going to make a difference that you took off 10 days when you could have taken 5? It may if you shorten the recovery time and wind up needing new sutures.

#10 walshy2

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

View Postazza, on Dec 7 2007, 03:21 PM, said:

I'd take the 10 days and enjoy the holidays! Put it in perspective - a month from now, is it really going to make a difference that you took off 10 days when you could have taken 5? It may if you shorten the recovery time and wind up needing new sutures.

totally agree, your body will thank you for the break anyway...You can start a new training block after the ten days refreshed and ready to go....no harm done! enjoy the break

#11 PEEKIE

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

I would definitely take the ten days. I had a melanoma and tissue removed 5 years ago from the back of my hamstring, ended up needing re-stitching after about three hours of being home just from walking in the house. It didn't help as they didn't actually tell me on leaving to keep my leg elevated and to sit still.

#12 Robert Song

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Over the years, I have had about a dozen skin cancers removed from various parts of the body.  

One was just above my right ankle and certainly that took the longest of any to heal. It needed a skin graft and I had stay in bed with my leg elevated for three weeks!! So it is a tricky area  because of the tight skin and the chances of swelling if you are on your feet too long. So take the doctor's advice.

#13 Tenzing

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

Thanks all, I took the advice & didn't run but the wound got infected meaning it was 14 days before I could hit the road again. Healing well, but taking it slowly.

#14 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Dredging up this thread as I've got a potential story of my own...

Saw my GP today about a mole in the inside of my right calf which I have noticed has changed ever so slightly. He viewed it close-up and suggested I get a biopsy done, then he changed his mind and told me that he could use a "punch tool" and remove the whole thing on the table!  :D  Jeepers - what am I? I piece of leather? It would need 1 suture as the size is relatively small but don't want a "hack job" as some of you have experienced.

That said, I've got fair skin and while I'm not Casper, I'm certainly not George Hamilton! But I do want to get a second opinion as to what this is (or could be) and how I should go about making sure I do the right thing. Spoke to the Cancer Council and they said to get a referral from the GP to see a Dermatologist.

What happens after that? If it is melanoma do you have further scans? Regular check-ups etc?
Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bugs

#15 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts
    Annecy, France

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

You have 'done the right thing'. You saw your doctor, and he's treating you appropriately.

I can't see why you would want a second opinion (other than those you're seeking here), unless you see something wrong with the result.

#16 Olmy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

View PostBugsjuice, on Nov 10 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

he could use a "punch tool" and remove the whole thing on the table!  :D  Jeepers - what am I? I piece of leather? It would need 1 suture as the size is relatively small but don't want a "hack job" as some of you have experienced.

Well, a punch biopsy is safe and easy. A special tool is used that cuts the mole right out with really clean borders. Usually it is a "better safe than sorry" kind of approach. Because it is easy and safe and can then be properly diagnosed by a pathologist it is often done. Doesn't mean much apart from that.

And I have read through this thread and didn't see too much to worry about. One person had what they called a 'hack' job, but all the others seemed OK to me. Most 'problems' are in healing, not cutting (e.g. infection, slow healing, not listening to advice etc).

That said, I've got fair skin and while I'm not Casper, I'm certainly not George Hamilton! But I do want to get a second opinion as to what this is (or could be) and how I should go about making sure I do the right thing. Spoke to the Cancer Council and they said to get a referral from the GP to see a Dermatologist.

You are doing the right thing. I would be more worried if it were not taken out!!

What happens after that? If it is melanoma do you have further scans? Regular check-ups etc?

Don't get ahead of yourself! The vast majority of lesions are not serious. They are taken seriously, but most will be fine. Save your worrying until you have something to worry about!!

Edited by Olmy, 10 November 2008 - 01:05 PM.