Which Socks Give The Greatest Cushioning?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 SouthAustralian

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

I raised this question elsewhere but didnt get a response...so take 2

Which socks give the greatest cushioning?
I have incredibly high arches, I also have a very 'heavy heel', and opposite to most people I roll outwards when I land.
Ive just got new orthotics, giving me extra cushioning, but apparently I need every bit I can get, being so heavy footed. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Frank in SA

#2 azza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thorlos are pretty thick, but I'm not so sure how much cushioning a sock provides...it seems like it would compressed within the first couple hundred metres. Others more qualified may provide better answers though...

#3 StellaBella

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

I wear thorlo lites... love em but then again havent tried any other pairs (other than my normal ankle socks...) - I used to get burning in the balls of my feet but not anymore! (but longest distnace I've ever run is 12km).
I got 6 pairs off ebay for $70 (incl postage) from a US store... supposedly "imperfect" but I can't find the imperfections!

#4 JustinS007

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

Again, I'm not sure about cushioning, but comfort is paramount.

I always just wore normal sports socks until I got onto "Lightfoot" socks.  I thought these were OK and hadn't really had problems with them until Trailwalkers on Friday.  Toward the latter stages they were feeling like sandpaper (admittedly after 12 hours).  I've been told (and I'll do it for the next ultra I do) to use copious amounts of vasoline on and around the toes.  I'll also probably change socks every 6 hours or so as they accumulate salt which creates excess friction.

I'll probably buy some Thorlo's in the next week and experiment with them too as they're meant to be the bees knees apparently.

J.

#5 moby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

If you mean cushioning in terms of comfort, then Thorlos are pretty thick and padded although I personally donít find them comfortable.  The famed Target Coolmax socks are most comfortable Iíve found.

If you mean cushioning in terms of reducing impact force then socks will not do a thing.

In fact, neither do running shoes.  All they do is delay the impact so it takes longer to pass through the body, which makes it easier for the body to absorb.

#6 Jordan Mitchell

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:36 PM

Socks don't provide cushioning as stated elsewhere in this thread.

Justin, forget about vasoline on your toes, get yourself a pair of Injinji Performance Toe socks and you will never look back. Most of the high profile Ultra athletes swear by them and I heard that the two guys who recently competed in the North Face 24hr treadmill challenge both wore Injinji socks also.

View PostJustinS007, on Apr 13 2008, 01:54 PM, said:

Again, I'm not sure about cushioning, but comfort is paramount.

I always just wore normal sports socks until I got onto "Lightfoot" socks.  I thought these were OK and hadn't really had problems with them until Trailwalkers on Friday.  Toward the latter stages they were feeling like sandpaper (admittedly after 12 hours).  I've been told (and I'll do it for the next ultra I do) to use copious amounts of vasoline on and around the toes.  I'll also probably change socks every 6 hours or so as they accumulate salt which creates excess friction.

I'll probably buy some Thorlo's in the next week and experiment with them too as they're meant to be the bees knees apparently.

J.

#7 cota

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:50 AM

SUGOI do a Compression Padded sock...

The Sugoi Compressor Padded Sock features Coolmax to keep feet cool and dry and a mesh texture on the top of sock for added ventilation. A shaped ankle rib prevents sock from slipping and supportive arch compression to stimulate circulation. The front sole of sock is cushioned for impact. (Part 94973U)

Go into any bike shop and they'll order in the SUGOI socks if they don't have them.  I run in them and they are by far my favorates.

#8 littleblackpug

Kitchen Activist

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

View PostSouthAustralian, on Apr 13 2008, 12:36 PM, said:

I have incredibly high arches, I also have a very 'heavy heel', and opposite to most people I roll outwards when I land.
Ive just got new orthotics, giving me extra cushioning, but apparently I need every bit I can get, being so heavy footed. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Frank in SA

Frank I seriously reccommend learning to run light footed, along the lines of Chi or Pose running, being a high arched, heavy-footed, supinating (rolling out) runner is a recipe for disaster, speaking from experience! Then you won't need as much cushioning as your biomechanics will function correctly with your foot, achillies and calf being the natural shock absorbers they evolved to be....lots of info here if you do a search for Chi and Pose.

Regarding socks, I love Bridgedale, and Injinji socks.

#9 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

View PostSouthAustralian, on Apr 13 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

Cheers
Frank in SA

Not going to give you a 'sock' answer. What you have described is perfectly normal for someone with a high arch. These type of feet 'present' less surface area at contact, and therefore less natural absorption through pronation. I would go looking to change foot strike... our bodies 'know' what to do naturally, and yours demands more pronation (the natural absorber). So any shoe other than a neutral is going to limit your pronation (increase supination) even more.

Arguments about evolution of running style has already been done (see Science of Sport articles for more info).

Arguably the softest neutral shoe with most cushioning is the Nike Vomero... pretty much a niche. It is loosely based on the trusted Pegasus, but with lots more cushioning.

You may still require orthotics, but I leave that up to expert diagnosis.

As for socks, I don't wear any, and don't have even blister issues.

cheers :LOL:

#10 Peterhorse

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi Frank
i'm with the others about not ofucssing on the socks. i had this idea that soft spongy socks would be great and give lots of cushioning and comfort - all i get from them is more blisters as the foot shits around too much. remember too that longer you run, the more reition of little issues multiplies and can become a much more annoying issue. (i think i told my "i got shredded by the ipod velcro' story a few too many times already). 20k at 1 foot plant per metre say is 20,000 foot plants (10,000 per foot of course). So it's well worth avoiding such annoyances.

so, invest in the shoes, orthotics if thats what the pod says, and of course the techniques mentioned (but i have no knowledge of that aspect)

socks? thin but comfortable or go without. any that don't shift in the shoe.

also, i vaseline/paw paw ointment the feet, especially toes, between toes, arch, outside of heels etc for runs that are either >2hrs or raining. no blisters these runs. but don't bother for shoter runs.

#11 AlunDavies

The artist formally known as TaffTrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:02 AM

View Postmoby, on Apr 13 2008, 02:19 PM, said:

If you mean cushioning in terms of reducing impact force then socks will not do a thing.

Hmmm.... actually Frank, I'd suggest you speak to a podiatrist before accept this (no offence Moby).  With the issues you have you shouldn't eliminate any possibility and I think you'll find that some podiatrists will recommend a particular sock for a particular issue as they do indeed make a difference (not to all people but definitely to some).  

Personally, I have preferred types of socks that I know are better for me.  By the way, it's not the impact that causes the stress, it's the action of the muscles on tendons and bones when they compensate for impact that causes the problem.

For what it's worth, K-Mart coolmax socks are great, I also wear Injinji's and a variety of top branded coolmax socks.  If I'm going for a relatively short run, I put on whatever's around.  If it's a longer run, I put a little more thought into it.  If it's an ultra, I have spares of all varieties in my kit as you never know what you'll want.

Best of luck Frank, if sock choice is the worst thing you have to encounter in your running career, you'll be ok!

Cheers

Taff

Edited by TaffTrail, 25 April 2008 - 01:04 AM.

#12 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

God designed a Man with muscles for absorbtion.

This absorbtion could be achieved properly by shoes, socks or orthotics.

Learn to run slowly barefoot and then use minimalist shoes.

As far as socks - for ultras it is great idea to keep changing the socks, although there are competitors who do 6 days (and nights without taking shoes and socks off.

Thorlos in my view are extremely warm socks - they are designed for freezing temperatures walking on glaciers or through freezing mountains creeks etc, and I would use them for skiing and XC skiing, or if I wanna safe on heating bill while sitting at the computer.

I only tried the Thorlos once at a race - I though that my feet would boiled and melt and the exess sweating  didicaause blisters actually, would never do than again.

Socks need to keep feet cool not hot.