53 replies to this topic

#1 Sunset

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

I've recently taken to eating bircher muesli and have experimented with a few different brands. As I'm watching the cal intake, I don't do too much extravagent with it - usually 2/3 cup of muesli soaked over night with 50mL apple juice, a bit of water, then add 100 g natural yoghurt the next morning.

I've tried Merriam bircher muesli, Healtheries apple and raisin bircher, and more recently, Woolworths Select swiss bircher.

The Woolies one looked really good but I tried it this morning and didn't like it much. I think my favourite so far is Healtheries.
I have considered making my own as I assume it would be fairly easy and I could put it in what I like.

Anyone else enjoy Bircher or want to share their recipes?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Colsy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Funny you should mention it, I tried Bircher for the first time at the Sydney Hilton the other morning. They served it chilled with some yoghurt on top, very refreshing.

So what are the advantages of bircher over others?

#3 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

they say that the pre-soaking of the seeds/grains/dried fruit allows for easier digestion and nutritional uptake.

I would probably agree with this as sometimes a bowl of raw muesli upsets my stomach.

I also pre-soak my oats when I make porridge (similar idea).

#4 TFive

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

This is the recipe I use.

500g rolled oats
250mls fresh orange juice
500mls skim milk
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup natural yoghurt - I use Jalna
1/2 cup sultanas (dried apricots are also good) any dried fruit will do.
200mg prepared fresh fruit ie blueberries, bananas or grated apple

1. Combine oats, orange juice, milk, honey, yoghurt and sultanas, mix well. Cover and place in fridge overnight.

2. Add remaining ingredients prior to eating for breakfast.

BTW
I'm no domestic goddess, but this seems to work and is very nice  :(

#5 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

Thanks TFive - how many serves does that make up?

#6 TFive

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

View PostSunset, on May 28 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

Thanks TFive - how many serves does that make up?
approx 4-5 serves.

#7 phYx

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I like bircher muesli. Lately I've been having hot oats to warm me up in the morning... This might be a totally weird question, but is bircher muesli always chilled? I mean, would it be totally gross to have it heated? Warm yoghurt sounds bad but I wondered if anyone does that?

#8 20thCenturyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

I love Bircher muelsi, currently using the Woolworths Select which I really like.
Unfortunately I don't do the soaking thing, just chuck in milk when i need it.
Best bircher I've ever had was moist and had stewed apple and rhubarb, honey and yog. It was really out of this world.

#9 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'm thinking that the Woolworths Select bircher is not intended to be soaked (hence why it was so gross for me this morning). The preparation method does not refer to soaking it.

However I thought that was the whole point behind Bircher muesli?

#10 TFive

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostphYx, on May 28 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

I like bircher muesli. Lately I've been having hot oats to warm me up in the morning... This might be a totally weird question, but is bircher muesli always chilled? I mean, would it be totally gross to have it heated? Warm yoghurt sounds bad but I wondered if anyone does that?

Yes, I think it would be gross  :( - try it and see.
If you heated the one I make I think it would probably curdle.

#11 Guest_Carmen_*

• Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

View PostTFive, on May 28 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

I'm no domestic goddess
Who says TFive?!  Of course you are! That muesli recipe sounds very healthy.  I had no idea you could or would soak muesli overnight, very interesting.  Of course, there is no preparation required or nutritional benefit to my daily toast with nutella.  I just can't do muesli so really admire those of you who can and eat it regularly.  Supposed to be good for ya.

#12 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

Crikey, all this talk of muesli on the same page as a thread about getting the runs in races. The two are entwined, in my view.

If I ate the stuff being described in this thread, I'd have to tow my own portaloo in a race.

#13 Aunty K

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

View PostSunset, on May 28 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

Anyone else enjoy Bircher or want to share their recipes?

I eat Bircher everyday and have done for the past 12 months or more.

I don't buy it from a supermarket.  We buy all our ingredients from the market and make up our own supply.

I should add I don't eat this before training or an event, I always eat it after.  

I love the stuff!! and have started having it as a snack in the afternoon when I'm a bit hungry.

4-6 cups rolled oats
30g dried apples chopped
30g sundried sultantas
30g linseeds
30g almonds
30g macadamias
30g sunflower seeds
30g pecans
30g dried apricots chopped
30g figs chopped
Liberal sprinkle of cinnamon

Method:

Place all ingredients in a large container.  Stir ingredients together, add more of any of the ingredients to suit individual preference.
SOAK all ingredients overnight in just enough water to cover the mixture.  Serve with yoghurt, prune juice or organic milk.

ENJOY :(

#14 Kazads

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

View Post20thCenturyBoy, on May 28 2008, 11:23 AM, said:

I love Bircher muelsi, currently using the Woolworths Select which I really like.
Best bircher I've ever had was moist and had stewed apple and rhubarb, honey and yog. It was really out of this world.

I had some great Bircher muesli when I was in Brisbane last. Loved it as I was eating it - was really rich and creamy and had a heap of fruit in it. Problem is, it upset my tummy for the rest of the day. So, my golden rule now is to get the right balance of fruit without going overboard  :(

#15 moby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

I discovered bircher museli many years ago when I had some at a cafe in Apollo Bay with banana and honey.  Wow, what an eye opening experience that was.  I've been eating it ever since.

Iím also currently trying the Woolworths/Safeway Select one and itís not too bad.  However I combine it with a raw organic muesli I get from Macro Wholefoods.  I find the combo is better than either by themselves.

I donít soak overnight, just mix plain low fat yoghurt through it with some fresh fruit.

View PostSunset, on May 28 2008, 09:57 AM, said:

they say that the pre-soaking of the seeds/grains/dried fruit allows for easier digestion and nutritional uptake.
I remember reading that Percy Cerutty used to get his runners to eat raw oats, nuts and dried fruit for breakfast before there was such a thing as muesli.  However they always ate it dry, without any milk or other liquid.  Apparently very good for the teeth and gums!

#16 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Just wanted to weigh in on the soaking of the oats. The Weston A Price Foundation says its important to soak them overnight (in room temp water with a spoonful of yoghurt or a dash of vinegar) because:

"Grains require careful preparation because they contain a number of antinutrients that can cause serious health problems. Phytic acid, for example, is an organic acid in which phosphorus is bound. It is mostly found in the bran or outer hull of seeds. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in improperly prepared whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects.

Other antinutrients in whole grains include enzyme inhibitors which can inhibit digestion and put stress on the pancreas..."

Source: http://www.westonapr...es/be_kind.html

I have personally found that grains treat me a lot better if I soak them first but I am not a purist so often forget. I think to help avoid upset tummy its best to eat it in small quantities, like a treat. I love the look of Aunty K's recipe and also TFive's recipe, am going to try these, yum. Thanks for posting them.

SJ

#17 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

View Postmoby, on May 28 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

I remember reading that Percy Cerutty used to get his runners to eat raw oats, nuts and dried fruit for breakfast before there was such a thing as muesli.  However they always ate it dry, without any milk or other liquid.  Apparently very good for the teeth and gums!

I love eating oats plain with nuts and fruit (no milk), it makes my teeth squeak, so i am sure he is right.

View Postsjnathan, on May 28 2008, 04:33 PM, said:

Just wanted to weigh in on the soaking of the oats. The Weston A Price Foundation says its important to soak them overnight (in room temp water with a spoonful of yoghurt or a dash of vinegar) because:

Thanks for that info SJ. I actually had probs with my iron recently and so replaced my oats (as above) with a fortified cereal every second day. Also changed a few other dietary things, but to cut a long story short managed to up my iron levels by jiggling food choices. I might give the bircher method a go then, based on your info. Cheers for that....off to soak my oats!

#18 biggers

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

I use this recipe cut out from "The Age" Epicure years ago:

The original Swiss birchermuesli
Serves 1

2 tbsp rolled oats, soaked in a little water for 12 hours
Juice of half a lemon
1 apple
2 tbsp freshly ground hazelnuts and almonds, mixed (I tend to use 2 tbsp slivered almonds instead)
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tbsp honey
Seasonal fruit (e.g. berries in summer, grapes in autumn etc), chopped or sliced, to taste

Place soaked oats in a large bowl and add lemon juice. Grate the apple, including skin & pips and mix it into the oats straightaway so the lemon juice stops the apple from discolouring. Add nuts, yoghurt and honey and combine. Carefully fold in chopped or sliced fruit.

I make this every now and then, usually on weekends when I have plenty of time. My daily homemade muesli (alternating with porridge in winter) is a mixture evolved over time. Currently it includes rolled oats, sultanas, raisins, dried apricots, dried pears, dried peaches, dried pineapple, dried mango, dried pawpaw, dried strawberries, slivered almonds, flaked almonds, brazil nuts, chopped peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, linseeds , sunflower seeds, coconut (shredded and desiccated) and raw bran. I make a big batch every few weeks - it takes a while! I serve it with milk and a spoonful of yoghurt. My other half calls it bird seed but I love it!

#19 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

I bought a little bottle of OJ to try something different...

yuck!

I think I'll go back to my apple juice. And when I finally use up the assorted bircher muesli's in my cupboard (merriam, healtheries and woolworths) I think I'll make my own up ;)

Brisbane has a fabulous shop called Micks Nuts at West End and they sell all that sort of thing in bulk. And it's conveniently across the road from the best bakery in Brisbane - Sol Breads :D

#20 biggers

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

View PostSunset, on May 28 2008, 11:50 AM, said:

I'm thinking that the Woolworths Select bircher is not intended to be soaked (hence why it was so gross for me this morning). The preparation method does not refer to soaking it.

However I thought that was the whole point behind Bircher muesli?

Yes, so did I - without the soaking, I would just call it plain muesli.

#21 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

View Postbiggers, on Jun 3 2008, 08:37 AM, said:

Yes, so did I - without the soaking, I would just call it plain muesli.

So should I be writing to Woolworths and having a whinge about their incorrectly labelled muesli?
;)

#22 Hildabeast

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hi!  This is my very first post on Cool Running!  Been a fly on the wall for a while now...  But I LOVE my muesli that I have in the morning (which is kind of Bircherish) so I had to weigh in on this topic.  This is what I do (for one serving):

30 grams rolled oats
20 grams all bran
a splash of water
about 100g natural yoghurt
frozen blueberries
frozen raspberries (or banana if I have it/feel like it)
1 tsp honey
shaking of cinnamon over the top

I mix it all together in the morning and leave it to soak for about 20 minutes while I shower/get dressed etc..., but would be better if it was done overnight.  Sometimes I use apple juice instead of the water, which makes it extra sweet and delicious.

Sometimes (usually after a long run) I'll add some sultanas and flaked almonds.  I usually spend the last 20 minutes of my run thinking about brekky...

I love this breakfast - can't think of a better way to start the day.  The all-bran, when soaked into the yoghurt, goes a bit soft but still gives it a bit of texture.  Reminds me of cookies and cream somehow!!!

#23 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

View Post20thCenturyBoy, on May 28 2008, 11:23 AM, said:

All this talk about Woolworths Bircher, had to try it.

I let the milk soak while having a shower, then chopped a banana over the top.

Yum yum ...

Now I only have about 8 different sorts of cerial on the shelf ;-)

#24 Jocks

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:58 AM

Check out link below for a high quality alternative (reasonable cost).  Melbourne based.

http://www.mojomuesli.com.au/

#25 JustinS007

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

View PostphYx, on May 28 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

Hi phYx

Bircher muesli sound nice to me, but I too like the idea of hot breaky.  I usually have freshly cooked porridge (that has been soaked overnight) on cold mornings - sometimes putting yoghurt on top instead of milk.

Have you tried leaving out the yougurt out of the overnight soak mix?  I think I will try preparing the mix (without the yoghurt), heating it in the morning, then add the yoghurt last thing.  I will report back in a few days.

Our Breakfast Pudding!

When it is a little warmer, we pre-prepare a very thick porridge made from oat bran, wheat bran and semolina, tinned fruit (any type), fake sugar (sugarless) and spice mix (often cinnamon, mixed spice, vanilla essence or almond essence).  We cook it for at least an hour, and then put it in the fridge overnight.  We often make a batch to last a few days. (4 - 6 serves of about 300grams)

In the morning we have about 300grams of the cold pudding with about 100mls of low cal custard.  For about 300 cals, this easily gets us through to lunch - and it tastes delicious!  There are no limitations to the variations you can try.  We even made a batch that tastes like liquorish using a heap of that aniseed stuff.

Shaz  ;)

#26 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

That Mojo Muesli looks great, Jocks! I need to find something like that in Brisbane.

Micks Nuts do a nice 16-in-1 natural muesli.

On the topic of yoghurt in porridge - a dietitian recommended that to me however I tried it once and never got into it - I found when it is warmed it 'melts' a bit and goes yucky ;)

That breakfast pudding sounds pretty good, Justin... although I am wondering why you use fake sugar and then have it with custard? Maybe just leave out the chemicals (fake sugar) altogether?

#27 phYx

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Oooh Shaz that sounds good. Might give it a go... I'd leave out the sugar though. Fake or not, the fruit will sweeten it up enough for me. mmm probably don't even need the custard... Next time I go to the supermarket I'll stock up on some breakfast pudding ingredients.

I have never been bothered to soak oats overnight.... will put a reminder in my phone to make me do it tonight

#28 skarabrae

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

I've just come across this thread, and as Bircher Muesli is my staple brekky food, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. My version is to make up a big tub of rolled oats, LSA (linseed, soy, ground almonds), any other edible grains around such as puffed rice, flaked almonds, chopped dried apricots, sultanas, craisins etc etc. Each evening I soak about  1 1/2 cups (for two of us) in low fat milk, just enough to cover it. Next morning, grate a big green apple and stir in with a couple of tablespoons of your favourite yoghurt. Share and enjoy. I certainly wouldn't eat this just before a run, but knowing it's in the fridge waiting for me gives me a bit of incentive. It's very creamy and yummy.

In winter, use the same mix and cook it up as porridge. My version: put about 3/4 cup of mix in each bowl, cover with boiling water and soak while you have a cuppa. Then 2 mins in the microwave until oats are cooked, serve with milk. Obviously no yoghurt in the hot mixture but you could add any fresh fruit.

#29 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

I've taken to making my own bircher and just throwing in whatever quantities look right.

The current batch has oats, finely chopped hazelnuts, finely chopped pecans, currents, chopped dried apricot, chopped dried pears, sunflower seeds, and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

The night before I scoop out half a cup full and soak in a bowl with a tiny bit of water. Add 100g of natural yoghurt the next morning and a squeeze of honey and it is a very satisfying breakfast!

It seems the only things that make me feel satisfied at breakfast is the bircher muesli (as above), or a bowl of oats made on 2/3 cup of oats and 1/2 cup milk.

#30 skarabrae

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Yep, me too. Anything else (like toast or ordinary cereal) leaves me starving a hour later.

#31 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

I like the convenience of a packet.

Woolworths select is my favourite. Lots of interesting seeds and nuts, but I only get 3-4 serves from a packet.

Second favourite is Uncle Toby's Natural Style Original Swiss. The 1kg pack is pretty good value at $6.

I had never really thought to let these soak. I now find them just right if I let them soak in the fridge before going for a run, normally top with some canned fruit. Something to look forward to on the way home.

#32 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

This topic has popped up just at the right time. I was only thinking this morning that I am so bored of oats every morning... I love my oats, but need a change (i have been having chco chip muffins, nice change, but no good for the waist line :LOL:)

I will have to either look into making my own bircher muesli or buying it. I have never tried before...

#33 aura111

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

while the safeway bircher is nice, honey-spiced flavour "bowl of plenty" one is my current fave - so yummy especially after a brief soak and chopped up banana added and aussie made as well. get it from coles

#34 Ned

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

View PostJustinS007, on Jun 4 2008, 09:56 AM, said:

Hi phYx

Bircher muesli sound nice to me, but I too like the idea of hot breaky.  I usually have freshly cooked porridge (that has been soaked overnight) on cold mornings - sometimes putting yoghurt on top instead of milk.

Have you tried leaving out the yougurt out of the overnight soak mix?  I think I will try preparing the mix (without the yoghurt), heating it in the morning, then add the yoghurt last thing.  I will report back in a few days.

Our Breakfast Pudding!

When it is a little warmer, we pre-prepare a very thick porridge made from oat bran, wheat bran and semolina, tinned fruit (any type), fake sugar (sugarless) and spice mix (often cinnamon, mixed spice, vanilla essence or almond essence).  We cook it for at least an hour, and then put it in the fridge overnight.  We often make a batch to last a few days. (4 - 6 serves of about 300grams)

In the morning we have about 300grams of the cold pudding with about 100mls of low cal custard.  For about 300 cals, this easily gets us through to lunch - and it tastes delicious!  There are no limitations to the variations you can try.  We even made a batch that tastes like liquorish using a heap of that aniseed stuff.

Shaz  :LOL:

I'm hoping Shaz or Justin jump back on this thread; I'm be interested to know if you have measurements for how much of the ingredients you put in your breakfast pudding as I am keen to try!!

#35 Tilly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

I stumbled on this thread yesterday and decided to combine a few of the Bircher Museli receipes above...I do love my porridge but the Bircher was delicious this morning!

Ingredients

Approximately 600g Rolled Oats
2 handfuls of All Bran
600mls of Skim Milk
400mls of Orange Juice
1/2 cup of natural yoghurt
300g of dried fruit (mix of dried fruits - large chunky sized too)
2 handfuls of nuts (almonds and macadamia)

(Left in fridge overnight)

Added mixture of berries (from a frozen pack) and vanilla fruche.

Yummo!

Thanks for the receipes!

#36 Emrun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Yum, I love birchermuseli, heaps of good suggestions here, I call it Summer Porridge  :LOL:

I make mine with pear juice concentrate mixed with water and then add yoghurt and fruit when I want to eat it.

I only ever make one serve at a time, I pop it into a plastic container the night before and then take it to work and eat it when I get to the office.

Just a question that might seem a bit daft, if you make a bigger batch, say enough for 3 or 4 serves how long would you reckon it would safely keep in the fridge?  Could you make a bigger batch on  Monday that would see you through to Wednesday, or should I just stick to making a single serve the night before I need it?

#37 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

Can I ask a silly question? Can you make up enough Bircher Muesli for the week and leave it soaking in the fridge all week or do you have to make a fresh batch each night?

I still haven't tried, but am going to go to the markets this week and get all the bits and pieces I need. I have found a recipe in "Changing Habits Changing Lives" that I am going to try. I will let you know how I go and post the recipe if it is any good.

#38 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

My mixture of 1 cup of this and 1 cup of that is usually enough for about 3 days. Then I make a new batch.

#39 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I'm sure a batch would be fine soaking in the fridge for a few days - maybe up to 5?

edit: should add that my bircher muesli has taken on a new delicious twist now I've been adding chopped strawberries and blueberries to it! yumyum

Edited by Sunset, 21 October 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#40 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

View Postsunny1, on Oct 21 2008, 02:52 PM, said:

My mixture of 1 cup of this and 1 cup of that is usually enough for about 3 days. Then I make a new batch.

Sunny1 would you mind reminding me how you make your muesli?

Thank you FNH :)

#41 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup milk
1 grated apple
1 handfull sultanas

Soak over night.

- add anything else you fancy - honey, sunflower seeds, strawberries, imagination etc in the morning! And eat ...

#42 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Sunny1 that sounds nice, simple and easy except I might swap the milk for orange juice and see how it goes.

#43 Kazads

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think I am addicted to bircher muesli...

when i wake up in the morning and am getting ready in my running gear i think about the brekkie awaiting me and i actually feel excited!! I think that I have actually found the one breakfast meal that i am in love with.

anyone else this obsessive?

#44 soph

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hello, I don't reay post on here, haven't run much over the past few months so feel a bit of a fake runner at the moment but hoping to get back into it! Anyway, in the mean time i still love reading posts and saw this so wanted to reply.

Just wondered if anyone had tried making the granola recipe in one of the recent runners world magazines?

I am absolutely obsessed with it, its so yummy! Its basically rolled oats, sunflower seeds, linseeds, sesame seeds, cashews, water, grapeseed oil and it says sugar but i don't add it. Mix it all up and bake for about 50 minutes. I made half the amount in the recipe and that lasts me over a week. I have it with natural yoghurt and this week i've added mango and blueberries. Its most definitely my favourite meal of the day!

Just thought i'd recommend as you lot sound like you appreciate yum breakfasts like that :))

#45 Emrun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

View PostKazads, on Oct 22 2008, 07:35 PM, said:

I think I am addicted to bircher muesli...

when i wake up in the morning and am getting ready in my running gear i think about the brekkie awaiting me and i actually feel excited!! I think that I have actually found the one breakfast meal that i am in love with.

anyone else this obsessive?

YES!!

ME!!!

I started to buy the ingredients to make my own a few weeks ago, from the Health food section at Safeway, but then I noticed Healtheries Bircher muesli so I thought I'd save myself the hassle and try it.  It's fantastic!!!  Oats, barley, linseeds, sunflower seeds and something else I can't remember right now, but HEAPs of wholegrains, along with dried apple, date and raisons.  Though I admit that I pick the raisons out because I hate them and replace them with dried blueberries.  I make it up the night before and I can't wait for breakfast in the morning, I mix in Jalna biodynamic yoghurt (full fat for me) and some tinned fruit.  Since I started having this for breakfast again I find that I am not needing anything to eat until lunch and for the last 2 weeks I haven't had any sneaky visits to the vending machine for a sweet treat in the afternoon.

Yay for wholegrains!!!

#46 runbunny

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

View PostFitnhealthy, on Oct 21 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

Can I ask a silly question? Can you make up enough Bircher Muesli for the week and leave it soaking in the fridge all week or do you have to make a fresh batch each night?

I still haven't tried, but am going to go to the markets this week and get all the bits and pieces I need. I have found a recipe in "Changing Habits Changing Lives" that I am going to try. I will let you know how I go and post the recipe if it is any good.

on the box of Carman's muesli, it says you can make your own birscher by mixing the museli with a tub of plain yoghurt, stick it in the fridge and it will last as long as the use by of the yoghurt. haven't tried it but i think you'll be safe to soak and leave in the fridge.

#47 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

Yep - I look forward to my bowl of bircher in the morning too - particularly now I have yummy fresh berries to add to it :)

Soph, the recipe sounds nice - I'll have to look into it however I'm being pretty careful with calories at the moment :S

#48 runbunny

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

this is my boyfriend's super special birscher that we refer to as 'Special Breakfast'.. i get a little upset if i don't get a bowl of it everyday..

soak the night before:

1 cup organic oats
2tbs sultanas
in as much fresh squeezed OJ to cover the oats.

next morning:
peel and grate 1 of each:  granny smith, carrot, pear
peel and chop one granny smith in to small chunks
mash two small/med bananas

place in a big mixing bowl with 1/2 cup natural yoghurt (we use non fat jalna), one tb maple syrup and a liberal sprinkling of LSA mix.

stir it all up and enjoy.. the original recipe was for 4 serves, but my boyf has 2/3 of the bowl and i have 1/3.

If anyone calorie counts, i've figured out that the entire bowl is just under 1000 calories using non fat yoghurt.

#49 Katz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

I stumbled across this thread recently and thought I would look into it all and I found the Healtheries brand bircher muesli at the supermarket and got myself some Goulburn Valley apples and cranberry to add on top with some King Island Creamy yoghurt and thought that was an absolute taste sensation until this morning......

I'm not a big fan of processed foods so I thought I might look into an alternative to the packaged fruit and decided to stew my own apple and rhubarb. Found myself a simple recipe and tossed it all on the stove last night. Refrigerated the stewed fruit, soaked my muesli, threw it all together in a bowl this morning and....

Well, all I can say is, it was..... FREAKIN' AMAZING!

Happy to share the very simple recipe if anyone is interested.

#50 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Sounds yummy Solace and would love the recipe.

I just tried my own homemade bircher muesli this week and it is delicious. I have been soaking oats, sultanas, coconut and apple overnight in orange juice and in the morning adding a banana. Delicious and so filling.