32 replies to this topic

#1 dogman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

Does anyone know where to get a running belt that l can wear in the marathon just to carry gels etc. I have the fuel belt with bottle holder, but want something less cumbersome

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

View Postdogman, on Jun 1 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

Does anyone know where to get a running belt that l can wear in the marathon just to carry gels etc. I have the fuel belt with bottle holder, but want something less cumbersome
When I only want to carry a bit of food, bandaids, vasso, etc I use a cycling / tri top.  Will bounce a little, but I just tuck the top inside my pants. Not sure how good the 'look' is ...

#3 mikel

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

If you need anything running related and you are in Brisbane try Intraining at Milton or Active Stride at Southbank

#4 Pedanticky

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

Shorts with mesh pockets are ideal for gels etc. If you can't get any locally PM me and I'll let you know a couple of US sites that will ship to Oz and that I've bought from.

#5 Suzy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

High 5 do a couple of gel energy belts. Check them out at www.fastgear.com.au
Another option is to get a gel flask which carries  up to 5 gels, easy to carry in your hand, or in a pocket if you have one.

#6 LG1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi everyone. Check out these...  www.spibelt.com.au. I discovered the SPIbelt (Small, personal items belt) at the Brisbane Marathon and another CR put me onto this site. They are a stretchy little pocket that can hold up to 5 Gu's (according to the manufacturer). I own a sports store on the Sunshine Coast but do not currently stock them (will soon, but!). I understand that intraining will have them soon otherwise they can be ordered from the website.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Edited by MissAverage, 02 June 2008 - 01:44 PM.

#7 dogman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Thanks so much to all for your responses, l will now get onto it before GCM

#8 milov

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 24 hours

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

I just ordered this from raid light...

I'll let you know how it works

milov

#9 Jordan Mitchell

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

SPIbelts are the way to go. I picked one up at the Brisbane Marathon and found it absolutely brilliant during the race. I had four Gu's in it and still had space but the best thing about it is that it doesn't bounce or move.

I use it all the time when training as I have one of the old brick size ipod's and I can run without even knowing I've got it on. I'm going to get another one as my wife keeps stealing it.

Mitch

#10 PlodBod

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

I would love one of these, but they only have them in red on the Australian website.  Clashes like a shocker with pink..  ;)

woo hoo!  They do have them in pink.  I was being a techno-ditz.

Edited by PlodBod, 11 June 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#11 runningcat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

I was looking for the same item as i lost the bottles of my Nike hydration pack but still have the belt

just 6 oz of 3 bottles ech although Nike have its new Spring collection

old: http://www.nike.com/...r...co=US&la=EN
new: http://www.nike.com/...r...co=US&la=EN
(4 bottles instead of 3)

#12 ozzyaaron

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

I bought a Nike hydration belt to try out when walking so I could carry keys and some water. I gave it a try while running a 10k and then I bought another one so I'd have one at work and one at home :Nail Biting: They're great.

It was this one http://www.lonelypla...lumbar_pack.htm

I know it doesn't seem fancy enough to be all that great but I ran the Perth Half Marathon with it containing a full bottle of Gatorade and my keys and I didn't even notice it was there. It's easy to get the bottle in and out and doesn't restrict my breathing. Plus it was cheap :D

It'll hold one of the Nike 600mL bottles (not sure if other bottles fit) plus it has a pocket that'd probably fit quite easily your keys and 2-3 carboshots.

Anyway, that's my suggestion for a good hydration belt.

#13 PlodBod

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

View PostJordan Mitchell, on Jun 11 2008, 02:34 PM, said:

SPIbelts are the way to go. I picked one up at the Brisbane Marathon and found it absolutely brilliant during the race. I had four Gu's in it and still had space but the best thing about it is that it doesn't bounce or move.
Mitch

Mine arrived on Tuesday and I took it out for a spin last night.  It's great.  Loads of space in it, even though it looks tiny, but I could fit phone, keys, security pass and money in with heaps of room to spare.  Could fit a stack of Gu's in it no problem.  No bounce either - not sure how it doesn't bounce, but it just doesn't.

And I luuuuuurve the colour :Nail Biting:

And, in case anyone's wondering what SPIbelt means, it stands for Small Personal Items.

Edited by PlodBod, 18 June 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#14 nite_time_runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

I got a Nathan Sports beltat GCM 3 years ago, and its great if you want hydration, as well as storage ( SPIbelts look cool, but did not seem to hold a water bottle? )

The model I have holds 650ml bottle, gels, ventolin, keys and cash. Its a great to use when you need some water, but the route does not warrant the use of a camelback.  After 3 years constant use, the valve on the bottle that came with it finally broke, but i think that represents good value!

Edit: Just noticed you know all about belts that hold water bottles and were not asking about them...oops :-)

Edited by nite_time_runner, 19 June 2008 - 04:14 PM.

#15 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

After reading this thread a little while back I sent off for one of those spibelts and tested it out this morning while doing some speed work (and I use the word 'speed' very loosely here). I love it, absolutely perfect for those 'small personal items'.

One question - I have only read "spibelt" - how do you pronounce it??? Is it "speebelt" or "spybelt" or "s.p.i.belt?

Not important, just wondering if I am sounding like a wally when I mention it to people by saying it wrong.
SJ

#16 Olmy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

I have never heard it said and only read it, and in my mind it is pronounced spy-belt. But I would like to be corrected before I make a fool of myself saying it out loud to someone.

#17 cheerleader

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

any update from people who have bought spibelts? i'm trying to place an order but the internet isnt letting me 'add to basket' so i'll have to wait. in the meantime, happyto hear comments about the belts. thanks!

and i call it spy-belt but happy to be corrected!

Edited by cheerleader, 01 July 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#18 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

I absolutely LOVE my SPIbelt which I bought online after reading about them here at coolrunners. I put gels in it (up to 4) and yesterday took my mobile phone in it and it never bounces around, you never know its there at all. BTW I have no vested interest in this company (or any company). I can't recommend them highly enough, worth every cent IMO. I'm a standard size 10 female and bought the small belt which is perfect for me and would be for a size 12 too.
sj

#19 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

View Postsjnathan, on Jun 19 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

After reading this thread a little while back I sent off for one of those spibelts and tested it out this morning while doing some speed work (and I use the word 'speed' very loosely here). I love it, absolutely perfect for those 'small personal items'.

One question - I have only read "spibelt" - how do you pronounce it??? Is it "speebelt" or "spybelt" or "s.p.i.belt?

Not important, just wondering if I am sounding like a wally when I mention it to people by saying it wrong.
SJ

I must sound like a real wally when I talk about 2xu because I've been pronouncing it as it read: two ex you; apparently it is "two times you".

#20 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

LOL - is it? I say "two ex you" as well. classic.
sj

#21 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

to the females here who wear the spibelt:  do you wear it on the hips (like the model on the website) or around your waist?

I have a fuel belt with the drink containers and need to wear it on my waist (didn't realise I had a waist after all those babies until I put on the fuel belt).  If it's onthe hips it bounces around, therefore needs to be put really tight on the narrowest part of the torso.  Is this the same with the spibelt?

I'll prob buy one regardless of the answer - but am just curious.

#22 LG1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

I wear mine around the waist - just felt a little funny on the hips.

#23 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

round the waist for me; not so cool as hips like the chick in the ad, but whenever I try and wear it low it just pops up like a jack in the box. I forget it's there, though, so no problem.
sj

#24 running sweetlee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have just ordered a SPIbelt after reading all your reports here :wub:  I had a shocker of a run when I did Run Melbourne a couple of weeks ago due to a bouncing mobile phone and keys!!!  I put them in my jacket pocket which was tied around my waist and they annoyed me the entire 10km  :cray:

I hope I have ordered right size though because unlike maryclaire, I still have no waist after only 2 babies, so ordered M/L  :rolleyes:

Lee

Edited by running sweetlee, 03 July 2008 - 12:55 PM.

#25 Hunna

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

I've spent at least $60 or so on belts in the last year. I prefer to wear running belts on my hips as its uncomfortable around my waist and the belt is too large when its around my waist, so it feels like I have a hoop around me and am running along trying to balance a hoop.

A belt l got a couple of months ago was one from runners world and i thought it would be great because it was one of those fancy drink bottle ones, but it did the same thing as the others. Didn't stay put and just jumped right up. In a half M once I had to throw a belt to my grandad in the crowd about 6ks in because it kept popping up, lucky he was there supporting. I need to figure out how to get the drinks one to work, because I want to do long runs on trails later.

Anyway, thanks to this thread guys for putting me on to the Spi belt. I ordered one yesterday after reading the posts, came in today - express as I wanted to be able to use it for the perth Marathon rather than running with all my gu's in my pockets. Had a 7k run with it this evening, and it did well. It stayed in place. The pocket bounced around a tad, more so when it was towards my side. In front it didn't bounce, and even when there was a bit of bounciness with the pocket the actual belt part wraps very firmly around you and doesn't try to jiggle up or down at all. I would have preferred to train with it a bit more b4 sunday, but oh well, I will take a chance, it should be alright.

#26 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

View PostHunna, on Jul 3 2008, 10:40 PM, said:

I would have preferred to train with it a bit more b4 sunday, but oh well, I will take a chance, it should be alright.
You won't even know it's there. I'm putting 4 gels into mine for sundays run (because I am slow and will be running for long enough to use them all). See you there!!!
SJ

#27 cheerleader

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

i got my spi-belt last week and ran 20km on saturday morning with it. just had a gel and a car key in it - didnt even notice i was wearing a belt - wonderful!!
i wore it around my hips but it rode up and sat around my waist - couldnt notice it was there but maybe a bit more noticeable if you have a phone, ipod etc.
will test it out with more stuff in it and see, great product and good service from the seller!

#28 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Do you think the spibelt will be big enough to carry a phone, wallet and keys?

#29 gav1866

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

View PostSunset, on Jul 29 2008, 11:24 AM, said:

Do you think the spibelt will be big enough to carry a phone, wallet and keys?

Got my Spibelt for the Hunter Half, worked really well.  No bounce.
I carried a Ventolin, 5 high5 gels, car key and id. Bit squeezie but still comfortable.

It holds a fair bit of gear.

IMHO

Edited by gav1866, 29 July 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#30 Unlikelyrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

I have used a Spibelt for my past 2 marathons and have carried 4 BSC gels each time. Works perfectly.

However, any belt (and I mean any) always causes me to feel like I need to go to the toilet because of where it presses and how tight it needs to be to not bounce and annoy you.

Thats a bit of a distraction that I could do without.

#31 eoin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:38 AM

View Postdogman, on 01 June 2008 - 06:02 PM, said:

I just got a SPI Belt and find it great, I think you can get them in Rebel Sport, but also online.

#32 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

There's a SPIbelt for everything you need!  I use mine (the original one) all the time.    LL

#33 Curt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

I received my Spibelt this week after reading about it above.

Previously I have used either shorts with pockets, cycling tops or arm bands. Each has done the job but each has its drawbacks.

Have done 2 runs with it (about an hour each) with a pda-phone and a key in it and didn't notice it there.

I wear it on m hips with the pouch at the back.

Thanks all for the info. Didn't even realize it exist until a couple of weeks ago.