1626 replies to this topic

#1 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

I would really love to get out to the CR 5km Challenges but due to kids sport and other commitments I find it really hard to get out to the Bay and back home in time to meet these commitments.

I have been thinking that it would be great to have CR 5km Challenge closer to home, something that has a simular course (obviously without the bay) point to point and reasonably flat. It could be run at the same time as the Bay run. There are a lot of CR's out this way and the list is growing. Of course it would need to be close to a suitable cafe or shops so we can have some breakfast afterwards.  :(

Any suggestions on where we could run this?  Anyone interested?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

I would be interested

Hopefully Colin or HillsAth1 have got a course/s in mind.

Living in the Hills might cause issues with a flat course.

But  we are tougher than our latte' sipping inner west cousins. :D  :(  :D

#3 Mango

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

View Postgogirl, on Jun 2 2008, 12:58 PM, said:

I would really love to get out to the CR 5km Challenges but due to kids sport and other commitments I find it really hard to get out to the Bay and back home in time to meet these commitments.

I have been thinking that it would be great to have CR 5km Challenge closer to home, something that has a simular course (obviously without the bay) point to point and reasonably flat. It could be run at the same time as the Bay run. There are a lot of CR's out this way and the list is growing. Of course it would need to be close to a suitable cafe or shops so we can have some breakfast afterwards.  :D

Great idea gogirl !  I was going to suggest the M7 cycle path course used in the recent twilight summer series - starting near Blacktown Olympic Park, head south for 5k and back.  The KM markers are still relatively clear although they could do with a touch up.

The only problem is that there isn't a nice cafe nearby for breakfast afterwards  :(

What about the northern end of the M7 path around Kings Langley shops ?

#4 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

View PostMango, on Jun 2 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

What about the northern end of the M7 path around Kings Langley shops ?

Kings Langley would be good. Park at the Kings Langley shops and it's just a short warm up jog to the M7 entrance of about 1200m. Run the 5km out and return back to the shops. Last time I was there they were renovating the cafe on the corner, not sure if it is finished yet but it would be ideal.

#5 emjay

getting there....slowly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

I have been thinking that it would be great to have CR 5km Challenge closer to home, something that has a simular course (obviously without the bay) point to point and reasonably flat. It could be run at the same time as the Bay run. There are a lot of CR's out this way and the list is growing. Of course it would need to be close to a suitable cafe or shops so we can have some breakfast afterwards. :(

Any suggestions on where we could run this? Anyone interested?
a fantastic idea, I would suggest a different week to the bay run, as I'm sure there are quite a few people who would be interested in both.

what about something around the Olympic Park area, there seem to be a number of cafes round there that open at 7.30am, and some good walking and cycle tracks.

#6 SpartaJen

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

Great idea GoGirl!  The Bay is just such a long way from my place.

Man, the last time I ran a 5km Challenge (in fact, any 5km race) was when we ran together GG, what, 18 months ago ?!?  :(

#7 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

Depending on how far west you want to go, Parramatta Park, the M7 cycleway, the Penrith Regatta Centre and the Nepean River Bridges all seem obvious.

Parramatta Park is a nice setting with nearby cafes and has an 8K race every Friday lunchtime already.

M7 cycleway is traffic free, not scenic though. Same with the Penrith Regatta (well known to those whop do the Australia Day fun run).

The Nepean Bridges is a flat 6.5K loop on the banks of the Nepean River- run along the Penrith side, cross over, back along the Emu Plains side, finish. Lot of pleasant parks and BBQs nearby.

#8 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

In the scheme of things, Olympic Park isn't actually much further west than the Bay.

Unless someone knows of a good cafe around the Kings Langley/Blacktown area, Parramatta might be a better, more central location.

#9 Fred

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

Nepean Bridges would be fabulous - by the river is very pretty in the morning, I would even volunteer to bring breakky!!   :(

#10 dropbear

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

I have been thinking that it would be great to have CR 5km Challenge closer to home, something that has a simular course (obviously without the bay) point to point and reasonably flat. It could be run at the same time as the Bay run. There are a lot of CR's out this way and the list is growing. Of course it would need to be close to a suitable cafe or shops so we can have some breakfast afterwards.  :(

Around Fagan Park, Galston would be glorious

http://www.mapmyrun....58/889358722879

3 kilometres for one circuit with one itty-bitty hill.  Fagan Park is a glorious picnic ground (we've had more than one kids' birthday in it).

Plenty of parking.

Just a thought, but it's in The Hills.

db.

Edited by dropbear, 02 June 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#11 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

View Postgogirl, on Jun 2 2008, 02:01 PM, said:

Kings Langley would be good. Park at the Kings Langley shops and it's just a short warm up jog to the M7 entrance of about 1200m. Run the 5km out and return back to the shops. Last time I was there they were renovating the cafe on the corner, not sure if it is finished yet but it would be ideal.

The cafe is finished, and doing really well from the looks of it.

Thinking that its probably just as far to get to Penrith as to the Bay for GoGirl, I will look at the options closer to the hills.

Parramatta Pk has a neat 5km (big loop + small loop) already used in Twilight series and km's measured. Two small climbs on big loop + one on small loop. Cafes nearby.

Kings Langley. Start at Sunnyholt bridge, easier option is towards Quakers Hill to a 5km turnpoint at Eastern Creek flatlands... this is overall downhill (60m to 30m above sea level), slight (negligible in fact) climb in 1st km, 2nd km downhill, 3rd slight climb and flat, 4th slight rise then sharp down, 5th dead flat. Traffic free.
Close to NTR, myself, Blues Buffet, GG etc

Windsor Rd bike path??? Haven't run there but appears quite flat from Parklea towards Ettamoggah Pub ... yum. Close to GG.

Crestwood bike path??? perhaps too short, too many loops.

#12 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

What a good idea.
I used to frequent the Bay CR5km challenge many moons ago but like GoGirl kids activities and rising petrol costs just make it easier to miss.
I like the idea of Windsor Rd. The bike path is quite good, tad noisy though but breaky at the Mean Fiddler (much better than the Ettamogah) would be right up my alley, literally 5 mins away.  :(
Blacktown area or Castle Hill/ Baulkhim Hills would work too.

#13 Fred

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

Irish pub?  Am in.

#14 chisholm

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

What a great suggestion - and why didn't I think of it!

My vote goes to Parra Park - it's a walk from my place!  There is a cafe in the park for breakfast, although I prefer Arthur's or the Flower Cafe on Hawkesbury Road.

If Parra Park doesn't win the popularity contest then I am happy with any "western" option. Not terribly fussed about windsor road mostly because of the proximity of traffic, but the mean fiddler for breakfast would be good.  If we want a 'trail' option, there is always Lake Parramatta too - I've never run it myself but I think it's a 4km-ish loop, and there's a lovely cafe there too.

Maybe we need a poll? I'd make one, but I've no idea how.

#15 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

From the SMH review:

The Mean Fiddler has a bit of a reputation for biffo. There were 51 violent assaults on the premises last year, more than at any other pub in NSW

This is a few years after being voted best pub in Sydney... however management were not satisfied with that, instead wanting to tap into the lucrative market of discos for 18-25 age group.

The govt has threatened to curb their licence if they don't comply with requests for footage of security video, logs etc etc.

I'm sure breakfast would be different though.

Edited by Colin, 02 June 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#16 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

View PostColin, on Jun 2 2008, 03:41 PM, said:

Kings Langley.... Start at Sunnyholt bridge, easier option is towards Quakers Hill to a 5km turnpoint at Eastern Creek flatlands... this is overall downhill (60m to 30m above sea level)...
Perhaps unsurprisingly, this course has some appeal  ;)

Make a call GoGirl. Build it & they will come  :D

#17 CoolwalkerDavid

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Location:west of Sydney - east of the Mountains - North of Penrith

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

It looks like there should be a series of 5ks because strangely enough Western Sydney is huge - for us real westies Parramatta is the centre of Sydney.

I don't really want to compete but it would be nice to say hi more often.

There is a similar situation with CR drinks on the edge of Sydney ( ie CBD) any thought about a Parramatta to Penrith chapter of CR?

That aside I think this is a great idea.

#18 sfGnome

Why not?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

How about the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of the month? That way it doesn't clash with the Bay version or the Striders 10k series. Not suggesting that people should go to both (all?), but at least it leaves the option open...

#19 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Hi all,

Yep sport is the thing for me as well.

Any chance of a U shaped run and then a comfortable couple of kms rather than 5km back to the start.  More time for brekky before sport.

cheers  Plu

#20 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I'm glad there is some interest and I think a few others would turn up as well that haven't posted on here.

I think that it has to be the second Saturday of the month so it doesn't clash with other regular events and gives us all more options. You never know, we might even get a visit from the city folk.. ;)

I will wait another day and see what else pops up then put it to poll. The Mean Fiddler has an awesome breakfast, the best bacon and egg rolls ever and really great coffee. The bike path on the Fiddler side of the road might be an option as well it's all down hill to Rouse Hill and it could even be a loop track but not really 100% sure because I normally run on the other side of the road.  I might go and check it out.

The most popular options so far are:

1. Parramatta Park
2. Kings Langley - M7 bike path
3. Windsor Rd  - Bike Path
4. Penrith - Bridges

Edit: I was also thinking perhaps something around Norwest, the Lake is lovely and the cafes are just on the water there. Would have to check out the path for running and see if it goes 5k.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by gogirl, 03 June 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#21 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

View Postgogirl, on Jun 3 2008, 09:29 AM, said:

The Mean Fiddler has an awesome breakfast, the best bacon and egg rolls ever and really great coffee. The bike path on the Fiddler side of the road might be an option as well it's all down hill to Rouse Hill and it could even be a loop track but not really 100% sure because I normally run on the other side of the road.  I might go and check it out.

Yep, ignore Colin's reference to the idiots that frequent the place on Fri and Sat nights, this is the best pub in western Sydney  :D .
I reckon the bike path and a loop of Rouse Hill finishing back at the Fiddler would work with a big breakfast and coffee. They serve a fairly decent Guinness too.
Of course I'm biased with the fiddler being my local.  ;)

#22 Tim 2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

I'd be in whenever i wasn't doing something else, which is probably not that often.
Parramatta park is closest but would prefer to go somewhere not too far away as i spend too much time in parra park.
Definitely should be on different day than the bay run as looking at my calender i won't be able to do that until september. The more runs the better.

Tim

#23 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

Great Idea gogirl

im in for anything out west, the heart of sydney is now out this way and making it into the bay is hard work for us poor folk out this way.  

MAybe we could hit up the mean fiddler to sponsor the events and maybe put over a few lucky door prizes to coax us into the beer for breaky and a biffo.

#24 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

One of the great things about the CR5k at the Bay is that the course is very accurate (measured by Action). It means you have a very good idea of your form as a time trial. I wonder if there is a chance of getting him out to mark equally reliable kms for whatever course you choose?

#25 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

Here is the Mean Fiddler's Breakfast menu http://www.meanfiddl.....Version 2.pdf  ;)      

Location http://www.meanfiddl...us/find-us.aspx

#26 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

View Postratdog, on Jun 3 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

Great Idea gogirl

im in for anything out west, the heart of sydney is now out this way and making it into the bay is hard work for us poor folk out this way.  

MAybe we could hit up the mean fiddler to sponsor the events and maybe put over a few lucky door prizes to coax us into the beer for breaky and a biffo.

Similar to Bar Coluzzi cyclists?

#27 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

I'm surprised Colin didn't mention it.

You have the officially certified SMC 5k course at Smithfield. Of course you will have to cross the road twice on your own and look out for buses on the busway.

No cafe nearby though but already measured accurate.

#28 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

View Postthomo, on Jun 3 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

Here is the Mean Fiddler's Breakfast menu http://www.meanfiddl.....Version 2.pdf  ;)      

Location http://www.meanfiddl...us/find-us.aspx

Well Done Thomo!

There's also the Gourmet Market just off to the side of the Fiddler they do a good breakky too.(still part of the Mean Fiddler) Except I always go home with more than just breakfast.  :D

We could always have a few practice runs on whatever course we all vote for and then invite Action out for a guest apperance to ensure our chosen course is accurate.

#29 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

View Postsook54, on Jun 3 2008, 10:51 AM, said:

One of the great things about the CR5k at the Bay is that the course is very accurate (measured by Action). It means you have a very good idea of your form as a time trial. I wonder if there is a chance of getting him out to mark equally reliable kms for whatever course you choose?

I may not have the IAAF 'rubber stamp' , but I have the equipment and expertise  to do the same job... just as I did at SMC.

SF, ... no purposely left SMC course out, since we already do that 9 times a yr plus the lack of Cafe's... still not in Hills/Parra either.

Spud/GG... made it clear I was just referring to teh night time activities at Mean Fiddler... still a great veue at right times.

GG... I thought of Norwest, but the paths are narrow, and too many hills.

cheers

#30 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

gogirl - great idea. not that I would attend as the west is too far for a 5km as is the inner west/bay.

colin - would you like to be rubber stamped by AA/IAAF ? what's required ? maybe its something for another thread or an email ?

#31 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

View PostJoggerKev, on Jun 3 2008, 11:54 AM, said:

colin - would you like to be rubber stamped by AA/IAAF ? what's required ? maybe its something for another thread or an email ?

;)

Actually just said that I could measure to same stds, but not IAAF 'stamped''... It belongs here doesn't it?? :D

#32 Mango

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

With a breakfast menu like that, I think we have a winner if we can plot a course to start/finish reasonably close to the Mean Fiddler  ;)

#33 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

I have been thinking that it would be great to have CR 5km Challenge closer to home, something that has a simular course (obviously without the bay) point to point and reasonably flat. It could be run at the same time as the Bay run. There are a lot of CR's out this way and the list is growing. Of course it would need to be close to a suitable cafe or shops so we can have some breakfast afterwards.  :D

I would be interested, but please make it a different day than the bay run I enjoy the bay run. ;)
As mention finding a good location will be interesting, need to find location in the middle of participants.
Finding location of interested people first then workout a middle group could work.
  • Gogirl Kellyville
  • Brick Pennant Hills
So location please and I will update the list.

Brick
:D

#34 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

That breakfast menu at the Mean Fiddler has me sold  ;)

#35 Ellie80

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

I would like the pancakes please ;)

#36 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

I have roughly mapped out a possible course starting and finishing at the Mean Fiddler.
Hard to avoid hills, although really they are only speedhumps.
Start at corner Commercial Rd and run anticlockwise, left into Withers Rd- left into Annangrove Rd- Left onto Windsor Rd back to Fiddler.
5km marker should be just opposite Hassett Place.

Attached File  CR5km_West.jpg   194.96K   43 downloads

#37 tiger angel

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Great, another excuse to eat out for breakfast  ;)

#38 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

Great idea GoGirl, I am happy to assist in putting this event on as no doubt Colin would. I am happy with most of the suggestions for a course.
I have some points about some of the courses,
Fagan Park, I think is a long way from most runners(its in the middle of nowhere) and unless I am m istaken you also have to pay for parking(unless you park outside park).
Parramatta Park, a favourite of mine although it can get very busy with bikes and cars, great for getting to as it is between 2 train station (not far to walk).
Kings Langley, can be a little boring, although if racing and with company should not be too much of a problem.
Crestwood, 2km course some hills involved and would also have to work out how to get the 1km in, or could be done by doing a 2.5km in one direction(going past start and then turning around and doubling back)
Nepean, nice course along river road, little bit far out but good to entice the highlanders down for a run.
Rouse Hill busy road most mornings so could be a bit of exhaust fumes.
Lake Parramatta, this would involve some hills and the footing may not be great, but views are spectacular.

Couple of other suggestions Prospect Reservoir, mostly pretty quiet, although I know they dont open the gates until 10.00am on a Sunday, not sure about Saturdays though.
Central Gardens Merrylands, used to be a regular tuesday night fixture as the 6(miles) at 6.00pm.
Baulkham Hills use part of the Wed night run (section between Jasper road and Merindah Road) or if required use part of same course that goes under Seven Hills Road and heads towards Old Windsor Road, but this can be quite Hilly)
Just to show my ignorance of the event, I have never done the CR Challenge 5, so could someone please give some details as to how it is run, rules(if any) etc. How close do you need to have the breakfast cafe? (if you need one at all)

Hope this adds to the discussion.

#39 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on Jun 3 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

How close do you need to have the breakfast cafe? (if you need one at all)
Having a good cafe close to the race venue is just about the only rule  ;)

#40 Mango

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

View PostJen_runs, on Jun 3 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

Having a good cafe close to the race venue is just about the only rule  :D

Yes, the run is merely an excuse to enjoy a yummy breakfast  ;)

#41 crazycatwoman

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

I would be interested in this even though it is still a long way for me to travel.  Probably a bit more straight forward than getting to the bay though, M7 makes it easy!

#42 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Just to show my ignorance of the event, I have never done the CR Challenge 5, so could someone please give some details as to how it is run, rules(if any) etc. How close do you need to have the breakfast cafe? (if you need one at all)

Hope this adds to the discussion.
Besides the cafe as a must post race.

The idea of the CR 5k done around the bay was to finish your 5k by 7:35am. Kev could give the reason behind that weird time.

So going on that HillsAths1 would start at 7:16 as you from memory ran about 19mins for 5k at SMC recently. All done so you self handicap and have 30 people finishing at the same time.

#43 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Just to show my ignorance of the event, I have never done the CR Challenge 5, so could someone please give some details as to how it is run, rules(if any) etc.

The sydney 5km challenge (the bay one) has this generic info to set the scene:
http://www.coolrunni...y_5km_Challenge

#44 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

Couple of criteria (as I see it)

Flat, flat, flat.  It is a Time Trial after all. There are plenty of runs in Sydney to test your hill running. This is about getting your PB down.

Breakfast. Ok, Ok

Accurate.

Traffic free. Boring course shouldn't be a constraint. I don't think it makes a difference whether on Bay or M7 when you are going flat chat.

Location. Anywhere. Doesn't matter where people live. Have it at the best location closest to where you are, and people will come or not. If they can't come, then like GoGirl, organise one close to you.

When. Any Sat morning. Weekday evenings don't seem to work in Sydney, with traffic ,  not too many runners to spread around, and reluctance with the TT concept. At first keep it away from other dates (Bay CR5k), but if more are added this shouldn't be a constraint.

Rouse Hill may work if it was flat and on bike track instead of roads.

#45 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

Im a quakers hill runner and i have spoken to a few family friends from in the area (quakers hill, kellyville ridge, stanhope gardens, kings langley) who all have children under 4.  They have been unable to attend many of the runs elsewhere due to the time it takes from them to get the kids ready and be on the start line at 7.am.  

Having a run so close i.e mean fiddler or even Narrajingy would be wonderful.

I know nurrjingy doesnt have a cafe open that early but there is nothing to stop us from bringing along a bbq and putting on a bbq with bacon, eggs, snags, tomato, and bread.  And im sure if i rang a mobile coffee van they would be more than happy to be there to supply the warm drinks.  

Mean fiddler is my bet, as if the road is not good to run on , there is a great running/walkway/cycleway that runs along the length of wondsor road on the western side.  

thats my 2 cents worth on my 99th post.

Edited by ratdog, 03 June 2008 - 09:27 PM.

#46 sfGnome

Why not?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

A couple of things that I think you have to watch in making the course. Like Colin said, flat is good, but also look for things like a safe path to run on and no intersections to cross. Unfortunately, I think that Spud's block might have some problems in that area (though I'm working from aerial images - it might be much better on the ground). On a Saturday morning, there's likely to be a fair bit of traffic down to the netball courts at the end of Commercial Rd, and crossing Mile End Rd might be a problem too.  There's a 2km long bike path that winds through the suburb there, but unfortunately it crosses two (apparently) significant roads.

Another option is around the bike path and the perimeter of the Rouse Hill Regional Park across the road. It looks like it could be stretched out to 2.5k, but I think that there are major grass stretches in that which falls down in the fast fast fast criteria. Hmmm... Dunno.  ;)

#47 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

Ratdog,

Nurragingy is a great pick... missed that one, hey even the Rooty Hill RSL may have a breaky.

I was referring to Spud's block (well not his 'block' you know what I mean ;) ), but I mentioned the bike track on Windsor Rd before, however from the times I have ridden up Windsor Rd by bike, I have chosen the road bike lane I think because one had to constantly stop start at intersections.
Yep, and what sfgnome said about netball courts , very very busy.. thats where we spent our Sat mornings until a couple of yrs ago.

#48 nite_time_runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

I too vote for Nurragingy if its open at that time.  If not, another option is starting at Melrose Park on Falmouth rd ( you can park at Quakers Court, so no worries ) , go out along a walking track, onto to M7 at Quakers Hill Parkway, up the M7 for a bit, turn around and come back. Map here  It has no intersections, all off road, and we finish across the road from Quakers Court which has a Michel's Pattisserie. ( they can probably seat 20 at that time of day and we can forewarn them..)

#49 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Nurragingy is not open until 9am.  ;)

That route through Quakers looks good N-T-R. How flat is that course though? So hard to find somewhere with out hills. Still looking at a few other options.

#50 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Are you sure Nurragingy is not open? I have run in there on Sunday Mornings and the gates seem to be open from around 7.00 to 7.30am.

If you parked at the Quakers Hill train station then you could get onto the M7 with no real problems. On the other hand as suggested we could always use the course used on the Twilight run and park at the Soccer(Football for purists) and be away before the first of the Soccer nuts come along.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to run a couple of trial runs and see which is best, otherwise we will never pick one.