15 replies to this topic

#1 go4it

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

On wednesday night I bruised my ribs in dance class (best not to ask how) and now my ribs are sore to touch and when I stretch or sneeze  :rolleyes: . Running this morning was painful particularly with large breaths on exertion. When I ran slower and using short shallow breaths made the run bearable. So my question is to other runners, what now? Can I just keep on running admittedly at a slower pace? do I need to rest up? What have others done?

Thanks

Go4it

#2 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

BUMP!

Was ging to ask this same question and in searching for similar found an existing thread, albeit with the question but no answers :(

In my case I took a bang at bottom of rib cage, left side, at the beach. Been about 10 days now and is still tender there.

Like the OP it hurts when I sneeze, cough, or otherwise exert that bit (stretch it and so on), but the annoying bit is when I run it feels like someone is giving me a jab in the ribs with each step and arm swing, bit like having a stitch really.

All a bit of a pain (haha) really as if I run I can breathe properly, that effects style, etc etc, Vicious cycle and so on.

Not coughing frothy blood or anything scary like that :unknw:

So - can anyone suggest a rapid healing procedure, or whatever to get back to normal?

This is seriously getting in the way of my next marathon lead up. :D

#3 Coogee1979M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

aDrain,

I had a similar injury last year.  Unfortunately I can only suggest things that you may already know:

(1) Considering seeing a doctor, especially if it has been 10 days

(2) To the best of my knowledge, apart from buying spare ribs on eBay, there is no rapid healing procedure.  You just have to give the ribs some time to heal.

(3) If your breathing is not as deep as usual, and/or if you are not coughing, and/or if your coughs are not as complete / deep as usual, then it's not a good sign.  Refer to (1) above.

View PostaDrain, on Feb 3 2010, 05:29 PM, said:

BUMP!

Was ging to ask this same question and in searching for similar found an existing thread, albeit with the question but no answers :(

In my case I took a bang at bottom of rib cage, left side, at the beach. Been about 10 days now and is still tender there.

Like the OP it hurts when I sneeze, cough, or otherwise exert that bit (stretch it and so on), but the annoying bit is when I run it feels like someone is giving me a jab in the ribs with each step and arm swing, bit like having a stitch really.

All a bit of a pain (haha) really as if I run I can breathe properly, that effects style, etc etc, Vicious cycle and so on.

Not coughing frothy blood or anything scary like that :unknw:

So - can anyone suggest a rapid healing procedure, or whatever to get back to normal?

This is seriously getting in the way of my next marathon lead up. :D

#4 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

View Postgo4it, on Jun 27 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

On wednesday night I bruised my ribs in dance class (best not to ask how) .....

So come on go4it fess up, it's well over 12 months now, did you fall off the table top or was it an accident with the pole ? :unknw:

I've run slowly for weeks with badly bruised ribs on at least 2 occasions, once post car accident where a car hit me from the side, the other after landing on a granite slab on a trail run with my fist between the granite and my ribs.

Reckon it took almost a month to be able to run downhill again pain free. Just take it easy, try and keep to flat surfaces, perhaps strap if it helps, other than that just give it time.

#5 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

*sigh* Its so sounding like be patient

Coogee -- thought the doctor route but 'does it hurt enough'? syndrome. Maybe  dose of HTFU ....

Thanks for replying lads

Edited by aDrain, 03 February 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#6 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

I've had similar. Hurts like a stitch when you try to use all your lunch capacity. Sudden movements stop you in your tracks. Hard to find a comfortable way to sleep.

Actually the worst was trying to get out of bed. I ended up tying a sheet to the bed end so I could pull myself up.

Some strapping helped with the pain while running. But think of the positive, the pain in your chest will take the focus off pain in other parts of your body (legs, feet, etc).

My theory was that if it didn't feel a little better every few days I would do something about it. I did end up getting a chest xray and it came back clear, and it slowly got better, took about 4-5 weeks.

#7 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

1. seek medical attention
2. follow medical advice
simple! :unknw:

#8 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

Medico says I've bruised the rib muscles (although he gave them some latinny name), and that they'll get better but slowly. They are slow to de-bruise as they keep moving, ie with every breath you take.

Some anti inflammitory gel might help a little, but main treatment is be be gentle to em, and be patient.

Off to read the "What to do when you can't run" thread

Thanks folks

#9 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Feb 3 2010, 10:16 PM, said:

1. seek medical attention
2. follow medical advice
simple! :unknw:

3. Seek clarification and better advice, from people whose Uncle Joe once had the same symptoms (or met someone whose Auntie Myrtle read in Readers Digest of a miracle cure for the same condition)  on CoolRunnings ...

#10 sportsphysio

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

View PostBellthorpe, on Feb 4 2010, 08:17 PM, said:

3. Seek clarification and better advice, from people whose Uncle Joe once had the same symptoms (or met someone whose Auntie Myrtle read in Readers Digest of a miracle cure for the same condition)  on CoolRunnings ...

You must've heard of my Auntie Myrtle's magic cure everytime Uncle Joe bung'd a rib. 'Twas a fair smattering of avocado paste, applied liberally.......

#11 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

applied liberally where?

#12 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

View Postsportsphysio, on Feb 4 2010, 07:44 PM, said:

You must've heard of my Auntie Myrtle's magic cure ...

My Grandmother was a Myrtle, her magic cure was to tell me to HTFU and get over it. :(
She'd then do her best yorkeshire accent and come out with "in my day things were so bad we used to run a hundred miles with 4 broken ribs and one leg missing, never hear us complain..." :unknw:

#13 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

I think I might have an old tub of HTFU under the sink, might be worth a try .

#14 go4it

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

View Postchilliman, on Feb 3 2010, 05:44 AM, said:

So come on go4it fess up, it's well over 12 months now, did you fall off the table top or was it an accident with the pole ? :D

I've run slowly for weeks with badly bruised ribs on at least 2 occasions, once post car accident where a car hit me from the side, the other after landing on a granite slab on a trail run with my fist between the granite and my ribs.

Reckon it took almost a month to be able to run downhill again pain free. Just take it easy, try and keep to flat surfaces, perhaps strap if it helps, other than that just give it time.

Okay I can now admit that I did bruise my ribs at pole dancing class, got all tangled up trying to slide down the pole head first!!! I did actually go and get an x-ray no broken or cracked ribs just bruising. As the others have suggested it did take a while to heal just take things slowly - and in my case stay away from the pole!

Hope it is starting to feel better  :D

#15 vat

<3h 4 42.195 @ 41

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

View Postgo4it, on Feb 7 2010, 07:36 AM, said:

Okay I can now admit that I did bruise my ribs at pole dancing class, got all tangled up trying to slide down the pole head first!!! I did actually go and get an x-ray no broken or cracked ribs just bruising. As the others have suggested it did take a while to heal just take things slowly - and in my case stay away from the pole!

Same boat here - had the bike deploy its self-protection system (i.e. me) straight on to Upper Mt Gravatt Road on Australia Day and am gradually improving.  Physio has helped a lot - after probing the ribs and not passing out with pain figured they were at worst fractured.

Sucks though - trying to sleep is the worst.  I took the hit on the left side and as is the way with these things that's my preferred sleeping side.  Nightly ritual - start on right side, doze off.  Rotate to left side, sharp pain wakes me.  Return to right side.  Doze off.  Rotate to left side, sharp pain wakes me.  Repeat on a 45 minute to 1 hour basis until 5am or you crack the shits, whichever comes first.

#16 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

Re the sleeping - try the good old pillow under the ribs routine