#1 Ewoksta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi All,

My training program has me doing some hill repeats. 30 seconds up and jog down recovery for 15 minutes.

Just wondering CR's opinions on whether doing hill repeats or stair repeats for the same amount of time would be the same or would one be better than the other.  :LOL:

Any advice/opinion would be welcomed.

Cheers
Andrew

Edited by Ewoksta, 08 July 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bruncle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

If you have a 30 sec long hill, do that. Running back down stairs is pretty tough on your legs (not to mention dangerous!). Even if you mean a stair-climber machine, it's not the same motion, hills are better.

#3 nvrgvup

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

If you aren't training for a stair race i'd opt for the hill repeats instead of stair repeats without knowing much else about your training. You would still get a training effect from both but the hill repeats are more specfic (presuming you are training for a road, Track race or XC race without stairs), what event are you training for? I'm sure there are other people who post on this board that will be able to give you more advice if you give a bit more information.

All the best

#4 Ewoksta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

View Postnvrgvup, on Jul 8 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

what event are you training for?

Sydney Marathon in September. Preluded by Willy to Billy in August.

Cheers
Andrew

#5 brizza

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

hills are good for strength ,a 30 second repeat sounds like sprint training,you need to bury yourself in a 90 second repeat at least.

#6 balfey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

My initial thought is that stairs are going to be much steeper than most hills, but without any knowledge of... leg mechanics... lol... I don't know what difference that would make to various muscles in your legs. From my experience (as my area is fairly hilly, pretty much any run I do has some decent hill sections in it) running up hills is fantastic for improving your pace on the flat and, surprise surprise, awesome at improving your pace up and down hills. I did the 10k at Brisbane Marathon, which involves a short uphill section to cross the Victoria Bridge, and it was amazing to see the difference. My hill training made that rise feel like it was hardly there, while everyone in front of me seemed to slow considerably.

So I say... hills, but with no solid evidence to back it.  :LOL:

#7 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

View PostEwoksta, on Jul 8 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

My training program has me doing some hill repeats. 30 seconds up and jog down recovery for 15 minutes.
If you are training for marathon then I think you want 2-4min efforts. A great hill in your area that I can recommend is on Dog Trap road. You will get a couple of flat km to warm up, then I'm guessing at least 500m of 10%.

I don't know the Sydney course, but gather it isn't flat. Have you ever gone for a run from Palmdale into Ourimbah forest and head for Kulnura ? Its a great place to run ...

#8 Jason M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

I think they are similar, but of course not the same. The foot fall on stairs will be flat, while the hill will be on an incline.  This will cause a substantial difference in loading on the muscles of the lower leg.

I would suggest doing most repeat on hills, but throw in an effort every now and then on stairs. A bit variety does go a long way.

#9 Don Juan

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I generally find that running hills and hill repetitions are much more enjoyable than stairs. Try both.

It might help you to get out of bed if you're going to enjoy the session.

#10 Rudolf

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

View PostEwoksta, on Jul 8 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

The training programm was writen by somebody as the wholistic training system, the author of the program knows why this session is in.

To take part of the program out of context and discuss it on the forum - again out of contex and than modify that part is asking for breaking up the whole system.

The author of the training system is the only person able to answer hills or stairs, but my guess is, when writen hills, than its
hills, not hills  or stairs

#11 Ewoksta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

View PostMick377, on Jul 8 2008, 02:06 PM, said:

If you are training for marathon then I think you want 2-4min efforts. A great hill in your area that I can recommend is on Dog Trap road. You will get a couple of flat km to warm up, then I'm guessing at least 500m of 10%.

I don't know the Sydney course, but gather it isn't flat. Have you ever gone for a run from Palmdale into Ourimbah forest and head for Kulnura ? Its a great place to run ...

Will be heading down to palmdale road in the next couple of months. Didn't even think of Dog Trap road for hills. Might do a couple of laps while out on my long run sunday, just to see how it is.

Not many long grueling hills in the Sydney Course from what I can remember last year. (Was out there 5 1/2 hrs you think I would have noticed!!!) Just a few short sharp ones.

Cheers
Andrew

#12 BigAdam

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

I Use hills. Stairs are dangerous. I have some good hills at my place, one of which is steep as and is a mile long! I have not conquered it yet, but  have others that take from 30 seconds to 4 1/2 minutes to tackle.

Hills are awesome!

Edited by BigAdam, 11 July 2008 - 03:56 AM.