Pimple-like Blemishes On My FeetThey're not blisters and I've got no idea...

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

Have had this reoccuring intermitantly for the past year or so. I get this little red dots on my feet, usually on the sole, and on occaision between my toes. Sometimes I don't even know they are there until I see them putting on socks etc, but other times they become itchy and then when I go to scratch i see them, or feel them as they are raised.

They seem to form a little way under the skin much like a pimple, either in a one-off location, or there may be satelite dots around it, sometimes up to 4 of 5 within 2-3mm of each other. Of course I was too inquisitive for my own good, so got out the tweazsers and squeezed it - and it popped and clear liquid came out, much like a blister would if you pop it.

Went to the chemist - he had no idea but gave me some Hydrozole - but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Has anyone else had these funny little things?
Can anyone tell me what they are? And, how do I get rid of them either perminently or, when they are present?

Bugs

Edited by Bugsjuice, 20 July 2008 - 09:41 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 sunny1

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hmmm. Are they little blister like pimples? Does the skin peel away from them as they heel? Try and anitfungal foot cream. You could have athlete's foot.

#3 CrazyBiker

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

sounds vaguely like hives. I'm far from knowledgeable on this sort of stuff but it came to mind as I read your post. :)

#4 mcam

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

it could be pompholyx???

http://dermnetnz.org.../pompholyx.html

#5 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

View Postmcam, on Jul 21 2008, 10:30 AM, said:

Thanks Mcam - that's them.
Luckily I don't get them anywhere near as bad as the examples shown on the link.
Interesting that apparently it is due to "abnormal sweating" :) and stress doesn't help the cause.
I can however get botox in my feet to stop it!

PS - they've now disappeared  :blush:

#6 Sunset

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

I've had this on my hands for years and never known the name for it! So a big thank you! :)

It tends to aggravate one section of my hand on and off for a while, then migrates to another part, etc.

#7 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

Sunset - have you ever had it on your feet? Don't suppose you know whether there is a "cure" for it - I think I have one on my lip  :)  (the only time I am hoping it is a coldsore). But if it isn't a coldsore, and it can move around like this, does it mean it is a viral infection? Any Pharmacists and/or Doctors out there?

#8 Gronk

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:00 PM

Yep I get them every now and then. Like little water blisters on the arches. They pop and then leave a little red sore just like the pic below. I've always blamed my orthotics. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Gronk, 22 July 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#9 brizza

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

the solution to sweaty feet is spray on anti persperant,try an experiment-it is fairly rare but there is a well described allergy to pith(from oranges,tangerines)which presents just like this,also it may be an infection with staph aureus which,if you keep reinfecting yourself can present like this and is managed with good old savlon,soap and water and sunshine,make sure you aren't walking it into your floors and carpets and reinfecting yourself that way.staph aureus is an abundant skin commensal which happily lives on your skin until some imbalance in the equilibrium favours it and it does this.pompholix is fairly common and is only really troublesome when infected(i believe)with bacteria or fungi.i'm not a doctor or a pod and only know the above from looking at peoples feet for all these years and looking up their various skin things when i see them

#10 runningcam

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

I too get this on my hands. It comes and goes with no particular pattern and shows up in different areas on my fingers and palms. I can't say I've ever noticed it on my feet, but I can say that neither I, nor my doctor, have a cure.
I was told that you only get pompholyx on your hands and feet, but as I'm in no way medically trained and I can't recall who told me, I could be wrong.
I am so happy, my first post and it's on my manky hands!

#11 LG1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have been getting this on and off for years and never know what it was. So thanks Bugs for starting this post. The funny thing is that I only ever get it on the left foot. Weirder still, when I met my significant other, he said he was getting it also and only on the left foot.

Edited by LG1, 22 July 2008 - 08:12 PM.

#12 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

it could be pompholyx???

Wow - thanks Mcam and Bugsjuice.    I've had these on and off for the last couple of years and never really had a good answer from my GP.   Starts on my feet and then I find that it appears on my fingers.   I was always told it was tinea and once it was bad, it would move to my fingers......except the last episode was only on my fingers!    Haven't found a suitable cure (funny that - been treating it as tinea!) ....but I have found by 'popping' the blisters, they dry out much faster - but then you are left with the ever peeling skin.

Interested to see if there are any 'cures' out there that work   :)

#13 Bugsjuice

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

View PostLG1, on Jul 22 2008, 08:11 PM, said:

I have been getting this on and off for years and never know what it was. So thanks Bugs for starting this post. The funny thing is that I only ever get it on the left foot. Weirder still, when I met my significant other, he said he was getting it also and only on the left foot.

LG1 - OMG! They come mostly on my left foot also!!! This is so weird - someone call Mulder & Scully (PS - there is a new X-Files movie coming out soon  :) )  My SO thinks I just have manky feet. Runningcam - welcome to CR and I'm sure your posts and content will get better!

Glad to hear that I'm not alone with these little buggers. Gadfly - agreed; Popping the 'blisters' makes them disappear so much quick and yeah the peeling skin is annoying, but the itchiness and pain.

#14 meh

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

I get it on my left ankle!!

I'd always wondered what they were all about but I never got it often enough to worry about it. Mystery solved!

I like the idea of the anti-perspirant I will have to give that a crack next time I get them.

#15 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

They've come back - looks like they have started in the warm weather earlier than usual for me this year.

Has anyone come up with a solution once you have them?   I'm wondering about some Dettol liquid to dry them out a little...   I'll try the anti perspirant to keep them at bay, although I didn't think my feet were all that sweaty.

There must be a weird and wonderful cure out there somewhere..... :)

#16 runbunny

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

mmm i wouldn't be so sure they're caused by sweating. I get them as a reaction to metal (nickel in particular) and to certain chemicals, like some body washes, cleaning products and sunscreens.

last time i had a bad attack my doctor prescribed me a cortisone ointment that did the trick.

you havent changed anything you're using?

#17 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I haven't changed anything I've used that I can think of.....but I'll have a careful think back.     Unfortunately, when it has been bad in the past (well, more like chronic and doesn't go away, rather than BAD), my GP has given  me cortisone cream but it doesn't seem to help.    

I'm not sure it's directly related to sweating for me, but it does seem to surface in the warmer weather.    

Thanks for the tips .......... hopefully you can keep them at bay too!  :)

#18 Sassie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for this infomation.  I randomly get these on my hands and had no idea what they could be.  I used to freak out that I had been bitten by something as they would come up in such a small patch on one of my fingers.

#19 thecheersquad

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Try a bit of Zinc cream and then wrap a bandaid around it to keep the zinc on it (and off your clothes)  - zinc is great for healing most skin problems. (that's what I have used and it seemed to work, never knew it had a name though!) And you have a choice of colours these days! And if it is caused by nickel then why not get it with zinc??  :)
If it is fungal - try caneston, or the good old fashion cures for blister/boil type things is magnoplasm. What you need to do is see an 'old' chemist, who knows all the old 'grandma' cures. !

#20 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

I also get these on my hands mostly, occasionally on my feet, glad to finally find out what they are. The come and go, but I have not seen them for quite a while, they also seem to make the area a numb then after a week or so, they diminish and the skin peels. Squeezing them does not seem to improve them.

I cannot believe how many people are in the same situation! Doctors do not seem to know what they are, but as soon as they were described, I knew I also suffered! The web site link confirmed it.

Windy

#21 Margot

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

What a fun topic.  Reminds me of the movie 'Run Fat Boy Run'.  

The beauty of fungal infections is that there are a variety of organisms that can cause a skin reaction.  that's why there are so many products on the market, so that if one does not work, then you can try another.  I have found that simply using tea tree oil can help.  Simply because it dries out the moist environment that all these bugs just thrive in - specially in runners sweaty shoes and socks.

If the problem is sweat related, then using good quality running socks that have moisture management fibres to wick the sweat from the feet.  There are also some socks that have the silver (anti-bacterial) thread woven into it.    (Brooks HVAC, X-Socks).  If you are getting it between the toes, then the Injinji socks are great.  

A couple of self management  duties are handy, especially if you are a swimmer:  really drying the feet well before sticking them in shoes.

#22 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

View Postthecheersquad, on Oct 28 2008, 01:15 PM, said:

Try a bit of Zinc cream and then wrap a bandaid around it to keep the zinc on it (and off your clothes)  - zinc is great for healing most skin problems.

Ooh....thanks for the zinc cream tip.    I have only used it twice now, but so far it's so much better than anything else I've tried :D   I was trying chickweed gel as it's good for inflamed, itchy skin (and I had some in the cupboard from Gadfairy's itchy bites last season)......but it doesn't seem to do anything 'healing' wise..more soothing.   Zinc seems to do both!  And it's much cheaper!   :)

#23 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi all,

I remembered this thread from a couple of years ago. I'm resurrecting it to ask if anyone has had success with treatments since the last discussions ?

slowmo

#24 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hey slowmo,

I still find zinc cream the best ...but it's messy and not always easy to use all the time.  Anything that dries it up I find helps.   I get the odd area on my fingers too - I tend to 'pop' the blister, put some zinc and then a bandaid on it. .......repeat for a couple of days, then leave it to dry up itself.   I just had a small spot on my foot....but as always, one turns to 2, to 3, to a whole patch of them.   Took about 4 weeks to clear, but is OK now.  
:D

#25 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

View PostGadfly, on Dec 12 2010, 10:38 PM, said:

Hey slowmo,

I still find zinc cream the best ...but it's messy and not always easy to use all the time.  Anything that dries it up I find helps.   I get the odd area on my fingers too - I tend to 'pop' the blister, put some zinc and then a bandaid on it. .......repeat for a couple of days, then leave it to dry up itself.   I just had a small spot on my foot....but as always, one turns to 2, to 3, to a whole patch of them.   Took about 4 weeks to clear, but is OK now.  
:D
Ta muchly Gadfly, I'll try zinc cream.  I think we might still have a nappy rash stash here somewhere from years gone by.

slowmo

#26 Gtrain

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

I am bringing this back from the dead!

I seem to have a couple of these on my little toe on my left foot. I am going to give the zinc cream/cortisone cream a go. Extremely itchy though. Just wondering if people continue to run whilst they had these.

Thanks

Gtrain

#27 RunsWithM

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi Gtrain,

I've only had pompholyx on my hands so I can't comment on the running component, but soaking in QV flare up oil is a godsend. It REALLY helps take away the itch and treats any secondary staph infections. Also don't scratch it truly makes it more itchy, that's not just an old wive's tale. If you do scratch or the blisters otherwise burst then do another soak to remove the itch.

I can imagine that if I had pompholyx on my feet I'd want to wear socks that fit properly, had good moisture management properties, and which didn't create friction issues. Moisture, friction and heat are your enemies. I'd also do a soak immediately after running and let my feet air dry afterwards or pat dry VERY carefully with a soft towel. Do not rub with a towel as that will make it itchy again.

I've never tried the zinc, but if your OTC cortisone cream doesn't work ask your doctor about getting a prescription for a stronger cortisone ointment (the OTC ones are very weak and I've found ointment better than creams).

Here's a link to the QV flare up oil which you can get from chemists (get the flare up one not the regular one) https://qvskincare.c...ct-description5

All the best with it. For something so tiny they are insanely itchy!!