424 replies to this topic

#1 Ned

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

I'm looking for something new to read, not talking about training guides or anything but I found a few books on Amazon that I'm thinking of ordering - 'Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon' and 'The Extra Mile'. Am interested to hear if anyone can recommend any good books on running they have read. Thanks!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

I haven't read it but someone mentioned a book called 'Running with the Brain' that sounded interesting and I'm planning to track it down when next back in the big smoke.

#3 enduro

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Ned

Just finished reading 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes. Great read on long distance running.

#4 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

One that I haven't read yet but really want to is Running and Philosophy: A Marathon for the Mind

slowmo

#5 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:55 PM

I just updated the list of books I am keen to pass on to fellow runners. A couple of rare ones in there - see my signature.
I have a few others that will be added to the list later on.

#6 phYx

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

I read Running Through The Wall recently. Get it - it's a great read!

#7 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:53 AM

Not a running book - but a good read about endurance is a book called Lone Survivor - the story of a Navy Seal who was the only survivor from a patrol in Afghanistan.

#8 butterbean

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

The perfect mile, absolutely brilliant!

#9 langswm

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

Extreme Running, edited by Ranulph Fiennes (amongst others)

#10 Fossil

Keith Bateman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

Yep - The perfect mile - read just before an big event (especially track).

And 'Training' by Harry Andrews - first published 1911 - what a hoot! Even includes tips on Cocaine and Strychnine lozenges and gems such as tips for running long distances: "Russian tallow or pure yellow soap rubbed on inside of ordinary wool socks ... under and around the crutch of the legs and under the armpits should be well rubbed with the same substance".

Great stuff!

Edited by Fossil, 07 August 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#11 Tim 2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

I have 3

Lore of Running, Tim Noakes A combination of exercise physiology, training methodology and running biography

Touch the top of the world, Erik Weihenmayer. A blind mountaineers autobiography (awesome read) This guy has since summited everest and there is a movie of that which i saw on south african TV three days prior to comrades.

The south pole, Roald Amundsen (english translation) Story of the first expedition to reach south pole 1910-1912

Tim

#12 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

no

#13 steviecat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

Recently read the new Dean Karnazes book '50 Marathons in 50 days' which is due out soon. First running related book I've ever read and I'd never heard of the guy before given I have only just developed an interest in running. I was pretty gobsmacked that some people could actually do what he did, although at the end I had to seriously question his sanity, seriously! (no offence intended to ultra runners  :p )

Cheers

Steviecat

Edited by steviecat, 07 August 2008 - 11:57 AM.

#14 Tim 2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

View Poststeviecat, on Aug 6 2008, 07:51 PM, said:

Recently read the new Dean Karnazes book '50 Marathons in 50 days' which is due out soon. First running related book I've ever read and I'd never heard of the guy before given I have only just developed an interest in running. I was pretty gobsmacked that some people could actually do what he did, although at the end I had to seriously question his sanity, seriously! (no offence intended to ultra runners  :p )

Cheers

Steviecat
Hope its better than his first book which i would describe as a self glorification exercise (either that or an editor who thought that style of book would sell better than a more modest one).

And stevie we are insane, well some of us at least

Tim

#15 moby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

I’d also recommend The Perfect Mile and a book on Percy Cerutty titled Why Die.  Both are great reads.

In the past year I’ve read the following running related books:

Again to Carthage by John L Parker
The sequel to the justifiably revered “Once a Runner”.  A bit of a disappointment but perhaps inevitable given pre-read expectations.  If you haven’t read “Once a Runner” I’d recommend that first.

Swoosh: The Unauthorized Story of Nike and the Men Who Played There
Part business book, part company history, written by a former employee who is married to a former very senior Nike exec.

The Gift - A Runner's Story
Pretty lightweight fiction based on the model established by Once a Runner.

Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
I found this an interesting read and would recommend it.

Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
Pretty long.  The opening family history wasn’t of much interest but the later stuff around Bowerman’s coaching, time as US Olympic coach and coaching of Steve Prefontaine was OK.

Daniels' Running Formula
Good training book.

Sub 4:00: Alan Webb and the Quest for the Fastest Mile

Was given this one.  Same author as Running with the Buffaloes but wouldn’t recommend it.

#16 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

I have "The Extra Mile" by Pam Reed.  I really like her chapters on Badwater as she goe into great detail about the race.  It makes me want to crew an ultra one day.  But the earlier chapters I found tedious at points.  But still... there is a lot to learn from the mindset of a champion.

#17 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

View Postmoby, on Aug 7 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

I’d also recommend The Perfect Mile and a book on Percy Cerutty titled Why Die.  Both are great reads.

In the past year I’ve read the following running related books:

Again to Carthage by John L Parker
The sequel to the justifiably revered “Once a Runner”.  A bit of a disappointment but perhaps inevitable given pre-read expectations.  If you haven’t read “Once a Runner” I’d recommend that first.

Swoosh: The Unauthorized Story of Nike and the Men Who Played There
Part business book, part company history, written by a former employee who is married to a former very senior Nike exec.

The Gift - A Runner's Story
Pretty lightweight fiction based on the model established by Once a Runner.

Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
I found this an interesting read and would recommend it.

Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
Pretty long.  The opening family history wasn’t of much interest but the later stuff around Bowerman’s coaching, time as US Olympic coach and coaching of Steve Prefontaine was OK.

Daniels' Running Formula
Good training book.

Sub 4:00: Alan Webb and the Quest for the Fastest Mile

Was given this one.  Same author as Running with the Buffaloes but wouldn’t recommend it.

It seems as if we have been reading similar books and essentailly I agree withyour comments although I haven't read Swoosh or the Gift. I enjoyed Bowerman and an insight onto a pionerr in running/coaching. The Perfect mile was very good. Some hard to get old books that are very good are :

Bannister & Beyond by Jim Denison
The Milers Cordner Nelson (more facts and figures and can be very hard going but if yo are interested in teh history good)
Most books by Norman Harris are very readable - some older ones being Lap of Hounor and Champion of Nothing.

Also the books by Brian Lenton are good but difficult to get. :p

#18 Ned

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. Just put my order in for 5 new books, went a bit crazy since I only had 2 on my list to begin with and didn't end up ordering The Extra Mile after all! Next thread I start will be on running book reviews.....

#19 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

Has anyone read "Strides: Running Through History With an Unlikely Athlete" by Benjamin Cheever ?

slowmo

#20 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

View PostNed, on Aug 7 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. Just put my order in for 5 new books, went a bit crazy since I only had 2 on my list to begin with and didn't end up ordering The Extra Mile after all! Next thread I start will be on running book reviews.....
Great idea to have a thread on book reviews!  I have so many running books in my closet - some are great and some aren't so great.  but they all have at least one or 2 pieces of useful info for a young runner (in miles, not years) like me.  I'll watch out for this and add my own reviews when you post.

#21 AngelicOne

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

That's an excellent suggestion MaryClaire ... running book reviews;  yeah bring it on.

I'm very much into reading these kinds of books.  I'm sorry Tim2, but I did enjoy Dean Karnazes book, and actually am very much looking forward to his 50 marathon book as well.

Currently am reading the Percy Cerutty book "Why Die?", which is an interesting read also.

But I'm keen on the books that give details about peoples runs and their graphic detail of how it all went.

A good thread ... let's keep this one going.

A.O.
:p

#22 Rivz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

Feet in the Clouds: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession by Richard Askwith
Absolutely loved this book.  Couldn't put it down.  It is primarily about Askwith's several attempts to complete the Bob Graham Round (a 65mile 42 peak lap of the English lake district) but gives a great history of the BGR and  Fell running in general and those who have excelled at it. Have become mildly obsessed by the BRG myself since.

3:59.4 The Quest to break the Four Minute Mile by John Bryant  
A very interesting read especially about Banisters very public failures at international meets and therefore why it was so important to him to prove his worth.  

Rivz

Edited by RunnerRivz, 07 August 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#23 cakeboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

I work in a public library and Ultramarathon man is always out whilst others gather dust, so his editor knows something about marketing.

If you are an ultra runner it most likely makes you cringe but to the general public that may not even know it exists as a sport, it at least sparks some interest in ultras.

Running with the Legends is a book I grab every now and then. Also History of the London Marathon, and 3.59 (4 min mile story) are good reads, with the latter having some interesting stories about running in the late 1880's and how thousands would turn up to watch milers duke it out. Now we have TV instead...

If you are a book nerd and love your reading and want to get a hold of books that no shops sell anymore ( eg Dymocks at Marion had zero books on running when I went in the other day..) or are out of print and seemingly are extinct, then have a look at Libraries australia site, which lets you search all library collections within Aus. Through your public library you can then request a copy be sent to your library. Not sure about other states but in SA you can do that for free if the book is within the public system somewhere. Otherwise you basically pay postage and they'll send it to your branch for 2 weeks from any uni or public library in the country. Bargain!

#24 Ned

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

In my excitement of ordering my books I forgot to say what I'd ordered. I ended up with  'Running through the Wall', 'Running and Philosophy', 'What I talk about when I talk about running' and after much deliberation with people's good and not so good reviews I ended up getting 'Ultramarathon Man' so I can decide for myself!! And I ordered through my local online book ordering company so they should be here in the next 2 weeks instead of endless weeks that Amazon quoted me. Hooray!!

#25 drummo65

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

Agree with T2.
Noakes' Lore of running is a must read.

#26 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

View Postslowmo, on Aug 7 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

Has anyone read "Strides: Running Through History With an Unlikely Athlete" by Benjamin Cheever ?

slowmo

I read it a few weeks ago. Before reading it I thought it would be shallow but I found it facinating and read it in a long wet cold afternoon in the mountains. Well worth the the read.

#27 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

View Postdrummo65, on Aug 7 2008, 11:14 PM, said:

Agree with T2.
Noakes' Lore of running is a must read.
I agree too - however it is heavygoing in parts (esp. the nutrition section).  I have it in the car and whenever I find myself at a park with the little ones or waiting to collect the bigger children from music/sport/whatever, I get it out and read a bit at a time.  And I think I look more intelligent lugging around a tome like that.  Perhaps I can get smarter by osmosis?

#28 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:30 PM

View Postcakeboy, on Aug 7 2008, 10:19 PM, said:

If you are a book nerd and love your reading and want to get a hold of books that no shops sell anymore ( eg Dymocks at Marion had zero books on running when I went in the other day..) or are out of print and seemingly are extinct, then have a look at Libraries australia site, which lets you search all library collections within Aus. Through your public library you can then request a copy be sent to your library. Not sure about other states but in SA you can do that for free if the book is within the public system somewhere. Otherwise you basically pay postage and they'll send it to your branch for 2 weeks from any uni or public library in the country. Bargain!

An excellent service. I've been using this facility from my local library for years. For example, after seeing the excellent documentary Bridge to the Sun on SBS,  I went searching for the book from which it came by Gwyn Terasaki. A simple matter then to order it from the state library through my local library.

The favourite running book on my shelf is "The Self-Made Olympian" by Ron Daws (now deceased), an early Lydiard disciple.

My least favourite is "Running Within". A touchy-feely metaphysical kind of book that leaves me completely cold. I'll give it away to the first person who PMs me asking for it.

#29 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

View Postcakeboy, on Aug 7 2008, 10:19 PM, said:

have a look at Libraries australia site, which lets you search all library collections within Aus. Through your public library you can then request a copy be sent to your library.
What a great service ! Thanks for that cakeboy

View PostNed, on Aug 7 2008, 11:13 PM, said:

'Running and Philosophy', 'What I talk about when I talk about running'
I'll be very interested to hear what you think to those two Ned - both look like they could be good (I was interested in Kev's thread on the Murakami book)

View PostEagle, on Aug 8 2008, 07:29 AM, said:

I read it a few weeks ago. Before reading it I thought it would be shallow but I found it facinating and read it in a long wet cold afternoon in the mountains. Well worth the the read.
Good to hear that - I'd seen one very negative review of it but the concept sounded like it could work well.

slowmo

#30 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

View PostBellthorpe, on Aug 8 2008, 05:30 PM, said:

My least favourite is "Running Within". A touchy-feely metaphysical kind of book that leaves me completely cold. I'll give it away to the first person who PMs me asking for it.

I agree - I ordered this from Amazon as the blurb looked really good (I think I was going through a phase of seeking the spiritual side of running) - but I couldn't even get past the first chapter.  I now can't even remember anything from it - I think I've subconsciously wiped it from my brain.

#31 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

View PostTim 2, on Aug 7 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

Touch the top of the world, Erik Weihenmayer. A blind mountaineers autobiography (awesome read) This guy has since summited everest and there is a movie of that which i saw on south african TV three days prior to comrades.
I love this one too. Erik, his experiences & achievements often come to mind now if ever I catch myself thinking 'I'd love to but I couldn't do that...'

#32 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

well at least if you were blind you wouldnt see how bloody far you could fall.
oh did i say that?

#33 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

View PostBellthorpe, on Aug 8 2008, 05:30 PM, said:

The Self-Made Olympian[/url]" by Ron Daws (now deceased), an early Lydiard disciple.

I agree a great read (and I was not aware he had died). Very modest and says he was just an average runner but one hell of a determined runner. gave his all to run for the US in the Olympic marathon which he did. Did is with not being able to run a marathon faster than 2.20 but survived the marathons trials in extreme heat when others faded.

#34 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

View Postcakeboy, on Aug 7 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

I work in a public library and Ultramarathon man is always out whilst others gather dust, so his editor knows something about marketing.

If you are an ultra runner it most likely makes you cringe but to the general public that may not even know it exists as a sport, it at least sparks some interest in ultras.

Running with the Legends is a book I grab every now and then. Also History of the London Marathon, and 3.59 (4 min mile story) are good reads, with the latter having some interesting stories about running in the late 1880's and how thousands would turn up to watch milers duke it out. Now we have TV instead...

Thanks Cakeboy this is really good to know :p I often look for books my libraries dont have...

#35 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Aug 8 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

well at least if you were blind you wouldnt see how bloody far you could fall.
oh did i say that?
True - but he talks about how he can hear how far it is from the sound (or lack thereof) produced. He has got guts - I wouldn't like to have to jump across a cravasse, not be able to see how far I had to jump & hope like hell that I'd put enough omph into it  :p

#36 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

thats a good point.
though something tells me not what i want to read just before going to sleep.
sweet dreams!

#37 CrazyPom

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:16 AM

The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner is a humourus book for first time marathoners. Not a lot of good advice but true to life account nevertheless. About a London journalist who goes from couch to NYC marathon in a year.

Also Dean Karnazes Ultramarathon Man is inspiring and could have been titled as above.

#38 Linkspurr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well thanks to this thread I'm all inspired to do some reading.

I recently finished Paula Radcliffe's book which was enjoyable, perhaps just a little self-serving.

Anyway with my inspiration in mind I found a great website:  BetterWorld.com (http://www.BetterWorld.com/)

"Fund literacy, care for the environment, and get a fair price on the books you want.  2 Million Used Books. Free shipping in the USA, $2.97 worldwide. "

You can buy both new and second hand books at reasonable prices as the shipping is more than fair.  I put my order in yesterday and got an email this morning saying its been shipped.  Ended up buying  

Lore of Running by Timothy D. Noakes  $5.48
The Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles by Amby Burfoot  $3.98
The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life by John "The Penguin" Bingham  $4.48
The Complete Book of Running by James Fixx  $3.48

add in the shipping cost and it came to $29.50 - not bad.  

So far so good, fingers crossed my books arrive in the 14 - 21 days promised.

#39 Fitnhealthy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

View PostLinkspurr, on Aug 9 2008, 03:43 PM, said:

Well thanks to this thread I'm all inspired to do some reading.

I recently finished Paula Radcliffe's book which was enjoyable, perhaps just a little self-serving.

Anyway with my inspiration in mind I found a great website:  BetterWorld.com (http://www.BetterWorld.com/)

"Fund literacy, care for the environment, and get a fair price on the books you want.  2 Million Used Books. Free shipping in the USA, $2.97 worldwide. "

You can buy both new and second hand books at reasonable prices as the shipping is more than fair.  I put my order in yesterday and got an email this morning saying its been shipped.  Ended up buying  

The Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles by Amby Burfoot  $3.98
The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life by John "The Penguin" Bingham  $4.48

Let us know how soon the books arrive and what condition. This sounds like a great service/website...

#40 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

View PostLinkspurr, on Aug 9 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

I have been using them for a whole. Some of the books are olde/out of print and can only be purchased second hand anyway. They have great and efficient service. The postage cost is so so cheap.

Dam now my sekret source of runniing books is not now so sekret.

#41 Martin D

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

Another vote for "Feet in the Clouds" from me. A great mixture of history and personal experience.

I could imagine myself running up some of the fells, but the descriptions of the downhill racing are just terrifying. I'm not even that comfortable letting myself go running downhill on good surfaces, let alone leaping over rocks, fences, walls etc.

#42 Ponkey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

View Postlangswm, on Aug 7 2008, 08:56 AM, said:

Extreme Running, edited by Ranulph Fiennes (amongst others)
Agree, fantastic photos, race descriptions from all around the world and inspired me to get my place at Kepler this year.

#43 Linkspurr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

View PostLinkspurr, on Aug 9 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Well my books arrived yesterday and they are in amazing condition.  I am over the moon with this purchase.  Currently reading the Couage to Start, absolutely brilliant book, well worth hunting down.  I will most definitely be purchasing from these guys again.  Plus received a special offer this week - $5 off a $30 order, and $10 off a $60 order.

#44 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

Sounds like a bargain Linkspurr!

Currently reading: 'The Kindness of Strangers' Don George (Ed).

Not exactly a running book, more a travel book. But isn't that what running is - a journey, on which we sometimes encounter difficulties, and require help from people unknown; or a journey, on which we sometimes encounter people unknown in need of assistance!

It's a good read.

#45 Jimboy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Having quite an extensive library of running books I am always on the lookout for others.Following up a mention by Rudolf I acquired,through ebay,one by Canadian veteran runner Earl Fee.Titled as
"The Complete Guide To Running" it's 435 pages are best described as a mini "Lore of Running" by Noakes,for those of you familiar with that book.It is laced with anecdotes from Earl Fee's athletic life(a multi World Champion veteran at 400m-1500m).References included are fantastic.
At US$24 or so,including postage,I reckon it is the best bargain I have picked up in years.
It was amusing however to read the section detailing a conversation about  training with Ed Whilock,a sub 3hr marathoner at M70+.Earl lays out hundreds of pages of training ideas,  practices
and theory, while Ed admits to little other than 2-3hr runs almost every day at slower than marathon pace,short races,no weights,no plyometrics,no stretching,no fancy supplements etc. :)
I hasten to add that Fee's book covers training from sprints to marathon,I doubt Whitlock's regime would suffice for the former.
All in all,a great addition to my library.

#46 Suzy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

"On the Wings of Mercury - The Lorraine Moller Story".
A very interesting read of Lorraine's journey from her track beginnings through to being one of the greatest female marathoners of her time.  She has a few tales to tell of her ill fated marriage to US runner Ron Daws, not all complementary.  I really enjoyed reading this book and recommend it highly.

#47 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

I have just started "Once a Runner" and am slowly getting into it - the style of narrative is not what I am used to - it's quite nostalgic.  But I am just starting to look forward to getting back to it each evening before bed.

I was given a $200 gift voucher for Amazon.com for my brithday and now I know what to spend it on after reading some of the suggestions on this thread.

#48 Ned

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

I just finished UltraMarathon Man. Must say I would definitely prefer to read a book written ABOUT Dean Karnazes than a book written BY him.
Next up is 'What I talk about when I talk about running' by Haruki Murakami.

#49 Goughy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

I'm keen to find some books for a beginner; to find out more about the purposes behind different types of training, suggested training options and also to learn enough to come up with my own training runs and understand why I am doing it.  As an example, I'm following a 1/2 mara training guide out of Mens Health mag, and it has some speed work in there like every week.  I do it, and I guess it's spose to help with long distance running, but I don't understand why?  This is the sort of stuff I want to learn about.  As well as technique etc.

So has anyone got some 'dumbie' books to recommend for me?  I'm also thinking of hitting the library today.

View PostJoggerKev, on Aug 6 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

I just updated the list of books I am keen to pass on to fellow runners. A couple of rare ones in there - see my signature.
I have a few others that will be added to the list later on.

I had a look at your list J-Kev.    I was thinking 'the non-runners book' and 'the total runner' sound good.  Are there any in there you would recommend for me from your list?

#50 ican

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

I read Ultramarathon man and it was my first 'running read'.  I understand he's American and you get all that 'ra ra' American stuff, but I found it an easy read and very motivating regarding running through pain.  I ran a pb the day after finishing the book, with him in mind.  I wish he could enlighten me about how to run through the boredom of 30K+ runs.