#1 newbreedofgeek

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check if the Blackmores Half Marathon is open to everyone? and what's the starting procedure etc? for example: are there various 'starting groups' based on individual runners running times or does everyone start together?

I havenít run a Half Marathon before but am aiming to increase my current max running distance from 10.5 km to 16 km in the next 5 weeks (as part of my boxing training).. and thought to myself, "lets aim a bit higher and train for the 21.1 km"

I know itís a bit ambitious but I want to give it a shot anyway.

I usually do running training once a week and push to complete an extra km per week.
Can anyone recommend some:
a] Half marathon training tips
b] Especially on diet/vitamins
c] Running equipment

That would assist me in training for the half marathon.

Any advice from you experienced runners would be awesome because at this stage I donít have much experience in long distance events :p

Cheers and tnx,
Mark

Edited by newbreedofgeek, 11 August 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 allrounder

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hi newbreedofgeek, welcome to CR

the Blackmores Half is open to everyone & everyone starts together but you can self-seed - there's signs indicating various finishing times so you just put yourself nearest the one time you think you will finish...

the Blackmores Half was my first in 2005...

others more qualified than i will no doubt chip in with advice!

good luck...

#3 Peterhorse

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

Gidday Geek (for short) and welcome to CR!
the ideal would have been to build to an extra 2-3 sessions of running each week to accompany your once a week longer run and get that one up to ~18-22k but 2-3 weeks out than taper, with 5 weeks to go, i wouldn't go too crazy with the running. sounds like you are pretty fit otherwise anyway, so depending on your goal time.

assuming are pretty fit and given your legs can probably handle some extra pressures etc., perhaps extending that longer run a bit more each week would be good, but keep it at or just slightly slower than race pace and include a few challenging up hill parts during that run (usually you do these a bit slower but given how close to race day, might as well go reasonably hard - others might disagree with this point). then add a session called a tempo run during the week - tempo run is a hard effort of 6-8k, a bit faster than your goal pace for the race day. if you can manage it, a third running session for the week which would be good is some longer intervals - e.g. 6x1-2k repeats, with a jog or standing recovery of 45secs-1min.

good luck, and most of all have fun!

cheers

PH

#4 tonedbutt

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

Hi there newbreedofgeek.  I am new to HM too but nowhere near as fit as you.  This is an awesome site.  Just look around it and you will find lots of info in the forum but there are other sections with training guides and all.  Good luck with your first HM.

Edited by tonedbutt, 14 August 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#5 nite_time_runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hey there - welcome!

I've done this half twice before, and loved it both times - the finish around the Quay is magic!

I will try and answer your questions...

a] Half marathon training tips
as mentioned - try and push the long run out a bit further each week - the general rule is about 10% extra at a time. If you can get close to 21km before hand ( and you should with sort of increase ) thatís great - no need to go over it.

b] Especially on diet/vitamins
I am taking two things that seem to work for me - a protein drink after each training session, and I take salt tablets during a run of this distance as i am susceptible to cramps.  It can get really warm out there on the return leg to the city, so whilst on the course, make sure you take mouthful of drink at each drink station - even if you think you don't need it or feel especially thirsty. A general good diet is advisable ( i don't take my own advice - i love Chocolate out of moderation! )

c] Running equipment
A good pair of running shoes is a good investment anyway - what makes a good shoe? There are numerous threads on that, and it depends on your foot posture etc. A lot of people wear shoes in the Ascic 2100 range though.    Bodyglide or similar might also be a good investment - it lubricates and therefore stops chaffing on inner thighs and nipples  :angry:  which can occur over this distance.  
Also, a coolrunning hat is guaranteed to improve your strides, strength and speed. And you will get heaps of cheers on the course :-)    

Good luck and let us know how you go!!

Edited by nite_time_runner, 13 August 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#6 newbreedofgeek

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

Tnx guys,

And tnx NTR for those tips. I experienced the chaffing on the inner thighs and nipples for the first time this Monday on a 11k jog and i can tell you it was not pleasant at all  :angry: . Will definitely go for a Bodyglide and a new pair of shoes.

I'm also going to take Salt tablets on my jogs too.

I also take a couple of GNC Multivitamins per day and around 4 Fish Oil capsules too (as i believe they lubricate the muscles and joints).

Cheers,

#7 zebra08

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for posting this query, which really helped me with my decision whether to attempt my first 1/2 Marathon this year.  I completed this year's C2Surf in 75 mins and I guess I need more training to run the 21 Km.

#8 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

View Postnewbreedofgeek, on Aug 14 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

I'm also going to take Salt tablets on my jogs too.

Unless you have a medical problem, that is absolutely not necessary.

I also take a couple of GNC Multivitamins per day and around 4 Fish Oil capsules too (as i believe they lubricate the muscles and joints).

Lubricate? Not at all. Fish oil and multi-vitamins won't do any harm, although a healthy and varied diet is more important than supplements.

#9 BOD

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

Mark,

Welcome to CoolRunning. You will fnd plenty of encouragement and advice from the CR community.

One of the key aspects of your HM training plan will be structure. Peterhorse has mentioned the key components of a training schedule: Increased long runs and a component of faster running [tempo and, perhaps, inetrvals]. You will fnd these elements in a number of published training plans.

You will benefit from drawing up a schedule that will set out your planned runs for the coming weeks. You will benefit further by recording your actual runs, as this will indicate whether you are on track or falling behind. There are a number of good plans to be found on the web and some of these can be found in the CR training forums. Alternatively, simply Google "Half Marathon training" and you will have access to a number of plans. [This site that links to various plans: http://www.apsu.edu/...ng training.htm].

I do share Bellthorpe's reservations about salt tablets. Salt tablets alone will not replace the electrolytes lost from endurance sports such as running. It has been argued that the salt tablets can draw water from surrounding tissues into the stomach to dilute the salt. Not only might this exacerbate dehydrtion, it could create nausea and, perhaps, the cramps you are seeking to avoid. [Having said that, it seems to work for nite_time_runner!]. An alternative approach might be to get used to drinking the electrolyte drink that will be available during the HM.

Good luck with your training and your upcoming HM PB.

#10 newbreedofgeek

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

21km Blackmores Half Marathon

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the advice it has helped me a great deal is preparing for the 21 km run.

Just wanted to update you all on my progress and some of the things that i have learned so far.

* The first thing I did was get some new running shoes, i tried on a few different types and picked the Asics GT2130, It wasnít too expensive and i'm finding them really good.

* After hitting distances of around 10km i started to get sore around the inner thighs and nipples (as nite time runner mentioned) and i purchased some 'Skins', again.. i got a really good deal on them when i was in Perth last week.. and they really help in keeping my skin lubricated i found

* I now stash some Gatorade along the way on my running paths and try to drink at least once around half way

Thatís it for now guys.. Thanks again and hope to catch up with some of you after the run :) Will there be a coolrunning booth at the finish?

If you want to follow my progress, i'll be updating my blog with my personal bests etc.

http://newbreedofgee...f-marathon.html

Cheers,
Mark

#11 bigcarl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

try to not go out to hard at the start. run even splits per kilometer and conserve a little bit of energy at the start for the last few kms . you will know what im getting at when you hit the 18km mark. this for me personally is when my legs go to mush and i try and hold on or with energy i saved at the start i start speed up to try and improve my time if i feel good.

#12 newbreedofgeek

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

WOW!! what a run.. loved every second of it.

Took me 2.14 mins to complete but managed to run all the way..

Was actually not as bad as I thought it would be, but as I dint know what to expect I started off pretty slow but ended hard..

Cant wait for the next half marathon.. and maybe next year attempt the full marathon (am I getting ahead of myself here?? oh well.. aim high.. train hard and anything is possible hey??) :LOL:

Hope all you guys managed to beat your PBs..

Thanks again for your advice,

Cheers,
Mark