Calling All First Time Marathoners In TrainingWho's aiming for their first marathon?

• You cannot reply to this topic
3023 replies to this topic

#1 goldie*

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:52 AM

I have just started (in Week 1) Hal Higdon's 30 week plan (slightly modified) in training for the Great Ocean Road Marathon (45km) in May 2009.   :)

As most people I know think that I'm crazy I was hoping there were some other crazy people here who are just starting/started their marathon training that we could meet here as we go on this marathon journey together.

Edit:
The First Time Marathoners Wiki Page is now up and running!
http://www.coolrunni...arathon_newbies

Edited by goldie*, 19 March 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 runningcam

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hey goldie

I have just completed my first run as part of my training for Canberra in April next year.

If training to run your first marathon makes me crazy :), then call me crazycam and count me in!

#3 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:20 AM

View Postgoldie*, on Oct 23 2008, 07:52 AM, said:

I have just started (in Week 1) Hal Higdon's 30 week plan (slightly modified) in training for the Great Ocean Road Marathon (45km) in May 2009.   :)

As most people I know think that I'm crazy I was hoping there were some other crazy people here who are just starting/started their marathon training that we could meet here as we go on this marathon journey together.

Same here, I am doing Great Ocean Road in May, and have also started Hal's 30 week training plan!. I am sorting out an ITB issue at the moment so I cannot follow the training 100% yet but should be soon.

I just finished reading his book, and am going to read it again, it is awesome.

#4 rachinaus

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

Am hoping to run the Canberra Marathon in April as my first marathon. Am still aiming for another half in Dec and was then going to change focus and start group training for the marathon with Sydney Striders marathon training group but sounds like I better get a move on if you guys are up on running on Hal's program already:) - I haven't looked at that one ....oh well there goes another day of actually paying attention to work at work....

#5 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

View Postrachinaus, on Oct 23 2008, 08:39 AM, said:

Am hoping to run the Canberra Marathon in April as my first marathon. Am still aiming for another half in Dec and was then going to change focus and start group training for the marathon with Sydney Striders marathon training group but sounds like I better get a move on if you guys are up on running on Hal's program already:) - I haven't looked at that one ....oh well there goes another day of actually paying attention to work at work....

Hal's program is essentially 2 progams in one. The first 12 weeks are more of a beginners running program (just basically running low km's during the week and increasing the long run on the weekend, but not long enough for Marathon Training) and the last 18 weeks are the Marathon training.

So I think if you are focusing on doing another 1/2 this year you training is probably higher then the first part of hal's program anyway.

Edited by Fifa01, 23 October 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#6 Skat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi Goldie,
Im in. Im training for either the Gold Coast in July or the Sydney Marathon in September. This will be my first marathon in 21 years (I did one back in 1988)

Heres my story so far:  My New Years resolution this year was to get fit. I had attempted to return to running several times over the past 2 decades but they always ended in injury as I was trying to do much to soon,  so I started walking 10Ks per day, 6 days per week. After a month or so I was hooked and decided to set some goals i.e. City2Surf (done) and a marathon in 2009. In April I started to turn some of the walking into running but I soon got a calf injury as I was still doing it 6 times a week. I finally reluctantly decided I could only run every second day and incorporated some cross training on the off days. Now Im doing 3 x 8k and 1 x 12k runs per week and aiming for 3 x 10ks and 1 x 15k by years end. In the first 6 months of 2009 I want to build up to 4 x 10Ks and 1 x 25-30k which will hopefully be enough to get me across the finish line.

I feel so alive and full of energy that I sometimes have to force myself not to run on the off days as I so dearly want to get out there and just run. I have much more energy to spend time outdoors with the kids and the wife is not complaining about the new body either (less 20 kilos).

Looking forward to hearing your stories and progress.

KevH

#7 monaltrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

Kev...I am impressed...well done and I admire your goal setting and applicable strategies.You will be successfull.

#8 Didge

Plodding along....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Well, I'm 6 weeks into one of Pat Carroll's training programs. My aim was to train for the Gold Coast Half Marathon next year in July. But the way I'm going - and if it continues to go this way - I may give the half a miss and go for the full. ;) :)

I know it's not in April/May/June - but close enough...

Edited by Didge, 23 October 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#9 Stintsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

View PostDidge, on Oct 23 2008, 09:47 AM, said:

Well, I'm 6 weeks into one of Pat Carroll's training programs. My aim was to train for the Gold Coast Half Marathon next year in July. But the way I'm going - and if it continues to go this way - I may give the half a miss and go for the full. ;) :)

I know it's not in April/May/June - but close enough...

Good attitude Didge! The GCM is a fantastic first marathon (I might be biased but it was my first as well).

I wish all of you a wonderful journey as you embark on training for your first marathon, it is an amazing experience and the feeling of crossing that finish line is undescribable! I wish I could do it all again :D I suppose there is only one thing for it - train for an ultra!

#10 grannypace

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

I am in for the Canberra marathon 09 as well!

I have a Hal Higdon 18 week intermediate training program. I have commenced on the first week, and will follow it for the next 7 weeks. Then I will take it back to week 1 from the week beginning December 15th.

I've done a few 5km runs and  couple of easy 10km runs since the Melbourne HM. I feel great when I'm out there, not even puffed on the 10km runs, which I find amazing. I want to maintain and build my base after the HM, so thought if I followed the first 7 weeks of the program before actually commencing the 18 week program, that this might be a good way to keep in touch with the body rather than lose what I built in my HM campaign.

Any thoughts on approaching it differently?

Cheers,

GP

#11 ShanksPony

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

I have an ITB injury at the moment, so i'm nursing that right now, but the plan is definitely to increase my run distance for next year.  I must admit i'm more drawn to trail running than road running, and have recently been increasing my distance up to about the mid 20km's for that sort of terrain (or i was before the ITB kicked in). I haven't done more than a HM on the roads before.  

A full marathon does have a definite lure as well, so i have toyed with the idea of Canberra, and I really fancy the idea of the Hunter Valley one later in the year.  I just need to see how my knee holds up, but as soon as i read a thread like this i get all excited and think that yes, this would be a great thing to do!!

I'm pretty slow, but if i did make Canberra my target, i would really like to have a crack at beating the current world record for a pantomime horse!!!  That's 4:37.

#12 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

View Postgrannypace, on Oct 23 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

I have a Hal Higdon 18 week intermediate training program. I have commenced on the first week, and will follow it for the next 7 weeks. Then I will take it back to week 1 from the week beginning December 15th.

Cheers,

GP
Hi GP

Are you doing any cross training? I am trying to decide whether say doing a spin class once a week would be a good idea or not - just don't know if I will have the time to do that and all the running as well.

The other thing I do is resistance work with a trainer (though you can do it yourself). Its been a bit inconsistent recently but am hoping to get along once a week between now and my next half. We focus on core and plyometrics which are supposed to help with strength and speed - so in theory I should be faster on my next half  :)  

Unfortunately the only thing the PT left me with this week was sore thighs ;) so haven't run too far since then. Better get my ass on the streets tonight.

Am guessing all the Hal Higdon followers have paid for the program on line then?

Cheers

#13 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

View Postrachinaus, on Oct 23 2008, 12:10 PM, said:

Am guessing all the Hal Higdon followers have paid for the program on line then?

Cheers

No Hal's Programs are free - or at least the one I am going is. I have not signed up for anything online, just downloaded the program, but I think you can also get email updates of what you are meant to be doing each day (don't think there is a fee for this).

#14 grannypace

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

View Postrachinaus, on Oct 23 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

Hi GP

Are you doing any cross training? I am trying to decide whether say doing a spin class once a week would be a good idea or not - just don't know if I will have the time to do that and all the running as well.

The other thing I do is resistance work with a trainer (though you can do it yourself). Its been a bit inconsistent recently but am hoping to get along once a week between now and my next half. We focus on core and plyometrics which are supposed to help with strength and speed - so in theory I should be faster on my next half  :)  

Unfortunately the only thing the PT left me with this week was sore thighs ;) so haven't run too far since then. Better get my ass on the streets tonight.

Cheers

Hi Rach,

I'll be doing something along the lines of bike riding, core strength work or resistance work at the gym one day a week. This is the part I am inconsistent with as well. I find it much easier and enjoyable getting out running than working to PT and gym timetables.

I didn't pay for my program. I googled it and found this one

http://www.mbrr.net....on_Training.pdf

I will be looking at the intermediate program. I think its pretty achieveble...

Cheers,

GP

#15 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

View Postgrannypace, on Oct 23 2008, 12:46 PM, said:

Hi Rach,

I'll be doing something along the lines of bike riding, core strength work or resistance work at the gym one day a week. This is the part I am inconsistent with as well. I find it much easier and enjoyable getting out running than working to PT and gym timetables.

I didn't pay for my program. I googled it and found this one

http://www.mbrr.net....on_Training.pdf

I will be looking at the intermediate program. I think its pretty achieveble...

Cheers,

GP
Hi GP

Thanks for that i'll have a look. The only other thing I did do recently was go to see a sports nutritionist cos I felt like I might get faster if I dropped a couple of kilos as well. The focus ws pretty much on making sure all the food groups are covered and managing portion size. Turned out she was a runner as well so I am going to go and see her a few more times over the coming months for some more advice on energy intake when my program is up and running and also things like carb loading and fueling during a race. I'll post anything interesting. She did say carbs are my friend so that made me very happy :)

Looking forward to everyone's training progress reports

Cheers

#16 runninguphill

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hi, I am currently in a maintenance phase of two short runs (5-8ks) and one long of 14ks per week. In January I plan to start a serious training program. Aiming for either the Macleay River Marathon (a local event) or Gold Coast.
My problem is that I am hopeless at following a program - it seems to take the enjoyment out of running. I can usually only find time to run 3 times a week but will really focus on building up the long run and trying to make the mid-week runs longer. It will be difficult as I can only run in daylight as all my runs are on a dirt road through the bush.

#17 leelee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

I am also training for my first Marathon - Great Ocean Road 2009!  I have the Hal Higdon 18 week program (that I obviously haven't started yet as marathon isnt until may) and I'm building up my runs each week to get to a good starting base.  Does anyone have the link to the 30 week program?  I would prefer to do that and start now if I can find it.

#18 leelee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

Just found the 30 week ( I obviously hadn't looked very hard before)

#19 goldie*

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

Wow!  This is great - so many of us in this together.   ;)

As I mentioned, I started the 30 week Hal Higdon plan this week.  It means I've taken a drop in the length of my runs (until about week 14) but I wanted to make sure that I build a good base from the start and sometimes my training isn't very consistent so I think that is where my 'training' for the marathon will be in this first phase.  I know what you mean runninguphill!  This is still my first week, only one run of 5.6km to go.  And yet, now that I'm in the headspace of following the plan - in MARATHON TRAINING  :D - suddenly everything feels harder!  I'm so excited though!

So in our fabulous group we have:

runningcam - Canberra - April
rachinaus - Canberra - April
grannypace - Canberra - April
ShanksPony - Canberra - April (you know you want to ...)
40kmPassOut - Canberra - April
fifa01 - GOR - May
goldie* - GOR - May
leelee - GOR - May
runninguphill - Macleay River - June (or GC - July)
Didge - GC - July
KevH - GC - July (or Sydney - September)
Mark2 - Sydney - September

All the best everyone - we can do it!

If anyone's interested, I can attach my spreadsheet of the 30 week plan converted into km.  

PS  Watched Run Fatboy Run for the first time last night.  Now I understand the references to the spatula!  And I know I'm not going to take over 10 hours!! (I hope!   :) )

Edited by goldie*, 24 October 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#20 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

View Postgoldie*, on Oct 24 2008, 08:58 AM, said:

Wow!  This is great - so many of us in this together.   ;)

If anyone's interested, I can attach my spreadsheet of the 30 week plan converted into km.  

PS  Watched Run Fatboy Run for the first time last night.  Now I understand the references to the spatula!  And I know I'm not going to take over 10 hours!! (I hope!   :) )
The great thing about CR is how it puts you in touch with people doing this all over the country.

It would be great if you could put up the 30 week plan in KMs - then I can compare it to the one GP put up yesterday and work out the best plan for me.

Managed a decent 9kms last night but legs still a bit stiff from PT (time for a massage maybe), don't feel like I am properly into a 'training program' yet though.

Maybe Run Fat Boy Run is required viewing for all marathon newbies - will need to check it out

Have a great running weekend everyone

Cheers

#21 40kmPassOut

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Hi All,
You can throw my name down for the Canbarra Marathon in 2009, aiming for 3:17:xx. This will be my 2nd race, but hopefully the 1st one that I finish - I had a nasty time in Melbourne Marathon and ended hitting the deck at the 40km marker - bugger!

Anyway, I am giving myself until mid December off (rest my aching tendonitis and fractured shins) and then I'll be back into a self-designed program:

Tuesdays: Speed work at a running track - 400's, 1kms, 30sec efforts, etc etc etc
Wednesday: Medium Distance - 10 - 18km, all focused around 10 seconds slower than race pace
Fridays: Strength and core work
Sundays: Long slow runs - 25-36km, with 4 runs over 30km length. Pace about 30sec slower than race pace.

Good luck, stay injury free.

#22 ShanksPony

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

View Postgoldie*, on Oct 24 2008, 08:58 AM, said:

Ok goldie - lets have a look at the program then.  How many weeks to Canberra, and what date is it on?

#23 Mark2

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi

I am planning on doing the Sydney Blackmores Marathon in September as my first.

I did the Blackmores Half last month in 1:56, and the SMC Half last week in 1:59 after a few weeks off and a taper for the September run. I thought I was a little underdone last week and struggled a little.

I am planning on doing 6 months of straight base building, plus the monthly SMC long runs. All of my running will be at an easy pace. I am running about 70 klms a week at the moment - hopefully I can increase this and get into the 80's regularly. For the second 6 months I am going to follow Jack Daniels' marathon plan. For the Blackmores Half I modified a Lydiard plan, but I didn't feel I got enough out of the anaerobic portion. It didn't seem to add much. Daniels has more structure, and more marathon paced runs. I think this will help me. He also suggests speeds for different types of runs based on race results. I think this will help and take a lot of the guess work out. I thought I ran my long runs too fast for the Half, this will help me make sure I'm running them slow enough.

The plan is to come in nicely under 4 hours.

Mark

#24 goldie*

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

The Hal Higdon 30 week 'Novice Supreme' Plan (in miles) is here http://www.halhigdon...vicesupreme.htm.

This plan - converted to kms - and my slightly modified one is attached.  Change the first date and it will change the rest of the dates for you.

The longest run was 32km.  I thought that for a 45km run that was a little short so changed it around so that I have a 37km run as well.  The first half seems too easy - it hardly seems worth heading out the door for 2.4 km but I'm trusting the plan (at least at this stage, may be not at the 35 km mark!) and know that pretty soon I won't be compaining that it's too easy!

Attached Files

#25 shipper

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

View Post40kmPassOut, on Oct 24 2008, 11:16 AM, said:

Hi All,
You can throw my name down for the Canbarra Marathon in 2009, aiming for 3:17:xx. This will be my 2nd race, but hopefully the 1st one that I finish - I had a nasty time in Melbourne Marathon and ended hitting the deck at the 40km marker - bugger!

Anyway, I am giving myself until mid December off (rest my aching tendonitis and fractured shins) and then I'll be back into a self-designed program:

Tuesdays: Speed work at a running track - 400's, 1kms, 30sec efforts, etc etc etc
Wednesday: Medium Distance - 10 - 18km, all focused around 10 seconds slower than race pace
Fridays: Strength and core work
Sundays: Long slow runs - 25-36km, with 4 runs over 30km length. Pace about 30sec slower than race pace.

Good luck, stay injury free.

I thought it was just me! I also hit the deck at the 40km mark - dehydration for me though! I was probably on target for a 3:35 - 3:40. I plan to make Canberra my first real Marathon (I now regard Melbourne as a long 'training run' at mara pace :)

I've been so upset since, I thought I'd never climb out of the despair pit - I started this week with...."Project 3:29.XX"

see you on the start line - Paul

#26 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

Morning FTM's (first time marathoners)

I was thinking over the weekend about running shoes.

I usually just have one pair on the go at any one time (and my current pair probably need replaced) but I was thinking about all the training that goes into preparing for a marathon over the months in the lead up probably means that I will go through a couple of pairs before I have even got to the race (at least be on to the second pair)

Is anyone planning to train with two pairs - ie rotate them? Is that a better idea? Don't want to be standing at the start line next year with a brand new pair of runners on my feet, but don't want them to be at their life's end either.

This weekend I managed a hot and slow 7 kms on Saturday, and went for a two hour bush walk in the mountains on Sunday so no long run.

My head is still not quite in training program mode again since the Melbourne half - hopefully I can kick start things with an early morning run tomorrow - depending on how painful PT is this evening:)

Hope you all had a good weekend of running

Cheers

#27 leelee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

I just went to my podiatrist last week to get a new pair fitted (she was mortified at the pair I had been running in!).  I was also worried about the time frame but I plan on getting a new pair a month before the marathon which works out pretty much to be exactly six months for this pair as my marathon is in May.  I think it depends on when your marathon is.  I've never thought about having to pairs at once but it sounds perfectly logical.

#28 aziz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

View Postgrannypace, on Oct 23 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

I've done a few 5km runs and  couple of easy 10km runs since the Melbourne HM. I feel great when I'm out there, not even puffed on the 10km runs, which I find amazing. I want to maintain and build my base after the HM, so thought if I followed the first 7 weeks of the program before actually commencing the 18 week program, that this might be a good way to keep in touch with the body rather than lose what I built in my HM campaign.

Cheers,

GP

I am also planning for Canberra 09 to be my first marathon.

Instead of repeating parts of a Hal Higdon 18 week plan, I am modifying one of his plans to have a higher starting K's. I am slowly increasing my long run K's until I start training in earnest in December.

For those aiming for Canberra, I hope to see ALL of you there ;-)

Aziz

#29 ShanksPony

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

View Postrachinaus, on Oct 27 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

Is anyone planning to train with two pairs - ie rotate them?

I always rotate mine, mainly because of the theory that it gives them more of a chance to dry out properly inbetween runs, therefore less chance of rotting/ponging.

#30 goldie*

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

Good afternoon FTMs!!!  (I like that!)

Well, 1 week's training down - only 29 more to go!  

I'm planning on getting a new pair of shoes from Santa and I'll be able to rotate them between then and May.  (My current shoes have been great - i'd like to let them down gently :) )

My long run on Saturday was hot, hilly, windy and lots of sticky flies.  But I loved it, the whole time I was thinking 'gee, all this is good training for GOR!'.

Have a great week everyone  ;)

#31 Skat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi All,

Saturdays run was great. About 17k's (3 x 5ks with a little walking in between each). Played Golf on Sunday and spent tooooo much time at the pub afterwards, but managed an hour on an indoor rower in the evening. 8.5K run this morning which was hard (Mondayitis) but worth every step. I have runs planned for Wed, Fri and Sun this week. Have a great week :)

KevH

#32 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

10km fun run yesterday, and now a little rest to let the ITB settle. So hopefully start following the training in a couple of weeks.

#33 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

wow - this is a great topic and will no doubt be a fantastic resource for all 1st timers - kinda makes me wish I was preparing for my 1st one all over again.  I hope you all go well with your training - and remember to enjoy it.  I would also suggest soaking up as much info from people who have run marathons before - I personally found the previous years' threads on the big marathons to be helpful.

Some thoughts on comments raised already:

I used Pat Carroll online for about 40 weeks leading into the melbourne marathon 2 weeks ago and can't stress enough how valuable a long term program was for me.  I ran 4 days/week and would spin twice or 3 times; pilates once to keep injuries at bay.  and most important: one complete day of rest.

Good luck for your goals next year - a marathon is truly a huge personal achievement.

#34 sol

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

View Postmaryclaire, on Oct 27 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

I ran 4 days/week and would spin twice or 3 times; pilates once to keep injuries at bay.  and most important: one complete day of rest.
hey MC, how do you manage those 8-9 day weeks? :)

I know I know! Multi-tasking on certain days! Just being clever ;)

But seriously now, on the shoe issue, do try and plan your shoe wear. I found myself running out of kms for my shoes as GOR loomed back in May. Not enough time to break in a new pair, but the old ones were topping the 800 km mark. I went ahead and used the old ones and they were fine, but next time I'd plan on having two pair on the go at a time.

Good luck everyone,
sol

#35 Bunny

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

I'm in for Canberra mara !   I have been haphazardly training for it since completing Lake Macquarie Half a few months ago.

Goldie, thanks a million for that plan.    I have fiddled around with spreadsheets in miles for ages & lost patience with trying to convert them.

I was wondering (during a 11km run in 28 degrees with yucky humidity yesterday) what everyone else does for hydration on long training runs?    I can't imagine running for hours with a drink bottle bumping around & it would probably be empty by 5km anyway, but what's the option?  Hide a few bottles in bushes along the way?  Raid peoples garden hoses? Or talk a family member into driving past with a water bottle every 5km?  What does everyone else do?

#36 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:48 PM

View PostBunny, on Oct 27 2008, 03:39 PM, said:

I was wondering (during a 11km run in 28 degrees with yucky humidity yesterday) what everyone else does for hydration on long training runs?    I can't imagine running for hours with a drink bottle bumping around & it would probably be empty by 5km anyway, but what's the option?  Hide a few bottles in bushes along the way?  Raid peoples garden hoses? Or talk a family member into driving past with a water bottle every 5km?  What does everyone else do?
Invest in a fuel/hydration belt. Some come with one large drink bottle, others 3 or 4 smaller bottles, and a pocket for gels, keys, phone etc. I have a nike one, which has 4 x 250ml bottles, and I hardly notice it while I am running.

For around $30 - $40 they are a great investment. I actually plan on using mine during the marathon.

#37 leelee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

[quote name='sol' date='Oct 27 2008, 03:01 PM' post='400119']
Not enough time to break in a new pair, but the old ones were topping the 800 km mark.

How many KM's should I have run in new shoes for them to be broken in?

#38 Didge

Plodding along....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostFifa01, on Oct 27 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

Invest in a fuel/hydration belt. Some come with one large drink bottle, others 3 or 4 smaller bottles, and a pocket for gels, keys, phone etc. I have a nike one, which has 4 x 250ml bottles, and I hardly notice it while I am running.

For around $30 - $40 they are a great investment. I actually plan on using mine during the marathon.

Yeah, I use one of these and recommend them. They are invaluable, especially here in Qld and on a long run. I don't notice mine either and plan to use it when I do the GCM next year.

Edited by Didge, 27 October 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#39 Grasshopper

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm up for a Marathon in 2009 - however, I've never run one before, I've only been running on and off for the last 3 years, and I'm over 55.  Is there anyone else out there who can relate to this?? I may need all the mature-age support I can muster.

#40 Skat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hey Grasshopper,

With 3 years under your belt already you probably have a better base than most here anyway. If you decide you want it bad enough and are prepared to the training you will do it, and there is all the support and motivation you could desire on these threads. I hope i am in a position at 55 to be thinking about running a marathon.

Good luck and i look forward to reading your progress reports over the coming months.

#41 goldie*

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

View Postleelee, on Oct 27 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

How many KM's should I have run in new shoes for them to be broken in?

Most shoes won't need to be 'broken in' at all.  They should be comfy from day 1.

If you wear orthotics, have odd shaped feet, or shoes that are the wrong width, etc then you may find that you end up with blisters or sore feet, but I do think that this should be avoidable - keep trying shoes until you find the right one.

#42 Andolate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hi all FTM's,

I have also been reading this post with interest wondering if I will put my thoughts on paper. Well, press hard  3 copies.. here it is.   I will do the GOM 2009 as my first. What a wonderful setting for the first.  i havent done a half yet but will do this in training.

I have run on and off for 2-3 years and really look forward to committing and going through the hard and fun times preparing for and knowing I am ready.

I also cannot wait to join the other CR's on the start in my blue CR wife beater and have some support and like minded people to run with!

Andolate

#43 leelee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

View PostAndolate, on Oct 27 2008, 07:14 PM, said:

Hi all FTM's,

I have also been reading this post with interest wondering if I will put my thoughts on paper. Well, press hard  3 copies.. here it is.   I will do the GOM 2009 as my first. What a wonderful setting for the first.  i havent done a half yet but will do this in training.

I have run on and off for 2-3 years and really look forward to committing and going through the hard and fun times preparing for and knowing I am ready.

I also cannot wait to join the other CR's on the start in my blue CR wife beater and have some support and like minded people to run with!

Andolate

Good on you Andolate!  I also chose that marathon for my first because of the views.  I'm hoping it will take my mind off some of the pain.  Only 28 weeks and five days to go =)

#44 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

View Postsol, on Oct 27 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

hey MC, how do you manage those 8-9 day weeks? :)

I know I know! Multi-tasking on certain days! Just being clever ;)
I told you you're a stirrer - and i haven't even met you  :D

#45 runningmum

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

I'd like to join you.  I'm planning on the Gold Coast Marathon.  I've been running for 3 years now and have done 4 half marathons.  This year I have barely had time to train at all, and am now getting back to basics and a beginners program to get my speed and endurance back up.  But the good part is that this year was my first running year without months out for injury, so now I have a lot of km under my belt, and can hopefully build back up injury free and enjoy it again.  Being a lot older and slower than most in the group I run with, I feel very uncomfortable, and need to get my confidence back.  Going back to basics is the best way for me to do this, rather than a lot of junk mileage, which is what I was doing previously, which just made me frustrated.  Hopefully I am going to enjoy running again soon, without the constant pressure.  Thanks too for the beginner's  marathon program - that's the one I want to do too, and building up slowly is ideal for me.

I also highly recommend the fuel belt.  I used to wear it all the time on a long run, although I probably don't need it as much now, but they are great.  I've worn it in 3 HM's and was glad I did.

Good luck to everyone!

#46 runninguphill

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:56 AM

View PostGrasshopper, on Oct 27 2008, 03:59 PM, said:

I'm up for a Marathon in 2009 - however, I've never run one before, I've only been running on and off for the last 3 years, and I'm over 55.  Is there anyone else out there who can relate to this?? I may need all the mature-age support I can muster.

Good on you Grasshopper - isn't it great how running is something you can do at any age. I am forty, so a little younger than you, but have been running consistently for about 3 years too.

Do others think that a program is crucial? I have never really followed one for the three half marathons I have run but could probably have got better times if I did. My other issue is that I only like to run 3 times a week (I have a busy job, lots of work to take home, family and travel 500kms to and from work each week - do these sound like excuses? :) ) and I just find it hard to squeeze in an extra run.

Good luck all and thanks Goldie for starting this thread.

#47 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

View Postrunninguphill, on Oct 28 2008, 06:56 AM, said:

I am forty....

Do others think that a program is crucial? I have never really followed one for the three half marathons I have run but could probably have got better times if I did.

Hi runninguphill

I am 40 as well and have run three half marathons this year. I probably haven't stuck to a program so much as run regularly every week and at least one long run a week (have toyed with intervals but not really been consistent) - that said my average kilometres per week over that time when I looked at it didn't seem to be that much (barely 30) but I suppose 'regular running' is a program.

Still I was able to get a PB everytime I ran a half - but I think that was more to do with the fact that by the time I got to my third (which was only three weeks after my second) I did just have more cumulative km's under my belt.

I guess it depends on what your goals are. For my last half of the year I want another PB and for the marathon ...well I say I just want to get round but I know that if it takes me 'too long' (as yet to be defined:)) I will be unhappy.

I aim to follow a more defined program for the full marathon just because it is such a jump up in distance and if I don't get the kms in my legs before hand and increase my weekly amounts then I will suffer (or not finish).

I am also planning to run with a training group to keep the motivation up to go the distances required in training.

Realistically you need do a program that fits in with your lifestyle and other commitments - others may be better able to say whether three runs a week is enough for a marathon.

At some point it still has to be fun

Cheers

#48 Skat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

[quote name='runninguphill' date='Oct 28 2008, 06:56 AM' post='400328']

Do others think that a program is crucial?

Personally i am not following a designed program. Mainly because i wasnt aware of them until way after i got this idea in my head, but also because i think i would feel too restricted by them, and would wind up doing my own thing anyway. Perhaps i have some "following the rules" issues i need to deal with. I think the key to completing our first marathon is as much psychological as fitness. If i know that i have done the K's and can run 35K in training , what's another 7.195K's???? :)

#49 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

View PostKevH, on Oct 28 2008, 09:18 AM, said:

Do others think that a program is crucial?

Personally i am not following a designed program. Mainly because i wasnt aware of them until way after i got this idea in my head, but also because i think i would feel too restricted by them, and would wind up doing my own thing anyway. Perhaps i have some "following the rules" issues i need to deal with. I think the key to completing our first marathon is as much psychological as fitness. If i know that i have done the K's and can run 35K in training , what's another 7.195K's???? :)
Hey KevH,

This will be my first attempt at following a program, for my first half marathon, I didn't and I think thats why I ended up with an injury. I probably ran too much and too fast, and I think I was not really as well prepared for the race as I would have liked.

The program I am following seems to take a sensible approach to increasing weekly KM's and a little speed work work to minimise the risk of injury.

I also like to do my own thing and not follow a plan, but I will try it this time round and see how I progress. I am going to try and stick to it 100% and not increase KM's if it is not due, even if I feel like I can, because I think that is what lead to my injury problems to begin with.

All the best, and looking forward to reading about your training.

Paul.

#50 40kmPassOut

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

View PostBunny, on Oct 27 2008, 03:39 PM, said:

Like Fifa01, I also carry a fuel belt. Mine has 1 full size bottle on it and also a smaller 250ml bottle. I find that if you keep the belt quite tight it does not bounce around. In the heat, a definate must if you want to look after yourself.

Also, you can use the feeling of the belt to act as a reminder to do a "form check" - check your breathing, form, posture and rhythm each time you conciously zone in to the feeling of the bottle bouncing. Just a suggestion.