#1 Tarah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hi all,

Just out of interest has anyone had acupuncture and found that it worked for tight calf muscles / compartment syndrome??

My physio did some dry needling and acupuncture a couple of days ago and my calf muscles don't feel so fatigued anymore and I noticed the difference immediately?? I haven't started running yet, as I was told I may have compartment syndrome about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks
Tarah

#2 Buttonbuster

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hi Tarah
I had dry needling done on the muscle on the front shins - for shin splints - and though it felt like had a really bad bruise for a couple days it worked perfectly. Loosened everything up and no more shin splints!! The physio also massaged some tight bits out of my calf that were contributing - so feel like a new man now!!!

#3 Wow

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

I get acupuncture and dry needling regularly to treat an old achilles problem caused by tight calves.  It's the only thing that has worked for me and now I swear by it!

#4 Phoenix

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Yep - at 7am this morning I was sitting in the Physio with 4 needles in my hip and 4 in my lower calf (achilles problem).

#5 PEEKIE

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

View PostWow, on Nov 3 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

I get acupuncture and dry needling regularly to treat an old achilles problem caused by tight calves.  It's the only thing that has worked for me and now I swear by it!

Who in Melbourne do you see WOW? I want to try this dry needling out for my ITB but have not had any luck finding someone who uses it as a form of treatment who is not booked out for the next two weeks or thereabouts.

#6 Fifa01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

View PostPEEKIE, on Nov 3 2008, 11:04 PM, said:

Who in Melbourne do you see WOW? I want to try this dry needling out for my ITB but have not had any luck finding someone who uses it as a form of treatment who is not booked out for the next two weeks or thereabouts.

Hey Peekie,

I know it is out of your way but the two physio's in Caroline Springs both offer dry needling and are not booked out that far (you could probably get a booking later this week).

http://www.cspringsphysio.com.au/

http://www.lifephysi...m.au/index.html

#7 cRJrun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Peekie, I go to a physio in East Bentleigh who does it and won't make you wait 2 weeks. Let me know if you want details. RJ

#8 sol

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

PEEKIE, I use ProActive Physiotherapy in Blackburn Rd, Mt Waverley. They've been needling away at me for the last month or two. They seem to know what they are doing, though I admit to being a tad sceptical about the whole affair.  (I've used them with good results for all my occasional injuries over the last 10 years or so and have been very happy with the service and professionalism). Should be able to get a booking fairly quickly.

Cheers,
sol

#9 DiJ

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hey Peekie,
I can recommend Tom at Vigor Fitness in Fitzroy if that's closer.
Di.

#10 PEEKIE

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies from everyone. Currently on the second ten day stint of no running and into day seven tomorrow. Had a massage today, somewhere along the line I guess I just decided that glutes stretch themselves and couldn't possibly get tight, but on the up side all my foam rolling and torture (spikey) ball action has been paying off, ITB is no longer like cement.

Edited by PEEKIE, 05 November 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#11 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

I have practiced Chinese medicine for well over 20 years - if your condition truly is compartment syndrome then I strongly doubt that acupuncture will be of much help - though I don't discount the tightness of your calf muscles may be caused by some energy imbalance that acupuncture does have a positive effect on.

In my experience the only thing that works for compartment syndrome is lots & lots of cold treatment immediately after exercise - or (and I don't have personal experience in this but know folks who do) surgery to expand the sheath in which the muscle sits.

Cheers, 2P

#12 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

Have had acupuncture in the past on tight calf muscles and damaged achilles with quite a good amount of success.

#13 Tarah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

Hi Twopennys,

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping it's not compartment syndrome but the physio has been trying acupuncture and exercises before I try running again and hopefully I won't need the comp syndrome test!

Thanks all for your help!
Tarah